Does it bother anyone else that Newton would have been our #1

Nix has been especially transparent as a GM and it is pretty clear from press conferences that Newton was at the top of our board. As I see him becoming a massive bust and setting Carolina back five years or so I am extremely happy that he was not there and we got Marcellosaurus who will be a centerpiece for our D-Line through the year 2020.

I really believe in the talent evaluation skills of Chix, but the fact they would have selected Newton makes me a little nervous.

Thoughts?

I find it weird that in his introductory press conference, Nix went out of his way to point out he's not enamored by 1 year wonders, then we find out he was enamored by a 1 year wonder QB-the most dangerous player to pick among 1 year wonders. The only thing I can get out of what he said earlier, was that he was trying to say he wasn't responsible for the Maybin pick, and he really doesn't have a standard against 1 year wonders.

The fact that Nix has contradicted himself about a basic draft philosophy is worrisome.

Im extremely pumped we got my personal first choice with Dareus.

But if the draft had gone 1. Dareus, 2. Miller... I would not have been upset with taking Newton. We need a franchise QB, and the Bills were truly the "best" spot for him to land. I dont know if the situation in Carolina will work out for him. If they think theyre going to start him right away, I think theyll break him. And their QB coach's last "project" was David Carr.

Gailey wouldve been a great coach for him, and sitting behind Fitz wouldve been a great option.

That being said...

Cant wait to see Dareus crushing dudes!! :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDankenstein

I think the flaw in your reasoning is that YOU believe Newton will be a bust. While many are up in the air about what sort of pro he will become, there is little debate over the freakish physical tools he brings to the QB position, even if he only played one year of major college football. The Bills said they would only draft a QB high if they thought he had potential to be a "10-12 year" guy. They appear to have been ready to take that chance with Newton.

I don't see a problem with this. I also was concerned about Newton, so I'm selfishly pleased it worked out the way it did. But I don't think Nix has been "exposed" as a poor talent evaluator or strategist.

Edited by eball

We don't have enough fear and anxiety here so we create what-ifs to worry about.

PTR

LOL right? I saw folks re-hasing all of our past poor drafts last night. Apparently we're not sure how to just feel happy with a good, smart draft.

We don't have enough fear and anxiety here so we create what-ifs to worry about.

PTR

This sums up this board in a nutshell. Although it's not quite as paranoid as the guy who went back 50+ years to see what positions the Bills prioritized over qb's :rolleyes:

Nix has been especially transparent as a GM and it is pretty clear from press conferences that Newton was at the top of our board. As I see him becoming a massive bust and setting Carolina back five years or so I am extremely happy that he was not there and we got Marcellosaurus who will be a centerpiece for our D-Line through the year 2020.

I really believe in the talent evaluation skills of Chix, but the fact they would have selected Newton makes me a little nervous.

Thoughts?

Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda. Nah, it doesn't bother me any more than the talk of "oh, if Dareus hadn't been there and Newton was gone, we would have considered Gabbert".

For whatever reason, you didn't and you didn't and we move on from now.

Now....if we don't pick up a FA TE, a RT, and maybe another LB, that's gonna bother me.

PTR

Honestly, I could see this reasoning coming back up in 2 or 3 years. Someone is arguing that Nix has done a good job drafting and uses Dareus as an example. Only to have someone fire back... yeah, but he lucked into the pick - he really wanted Newton. So, Nix still will still be bad.... even if he's good. (I'm aware I'm making a huge assumption that Dareus pans out and Newton doesn't.)

It's called can't win for losing, and no matter what happens, we have to find the worsts possible angle to focus on.

I promise you the day after the Bills win the Super Bowl, someone will be here pissing about how they won and it's not good enough.

Thoughts?

Well, let's see what Newton is like a couple of years from now. It's a moot point - He went before we had a chance to draft him, and Marcell Dareus is considered the safest pick in the draft. I'm ok with how things turned out . . .

Thoughts?

I've thought the same thing. It's only through good fortune/lucky circumstances that we got a sure-fire hit in this draft and not a very obvious bust. I like our draft this year, but this doesn't inspire confidence in the FO' s drafting philosophy.

I will give credit to the FO for not reaching to get a QB elsewhere; it appears that they had Newton and maybe Gabbert (shudder) as the only possible franchise QB's, and when they were gone, didn't jump to get a suspect QB.

I find it weird that in his introductory press conference, Nix went out of his way to point out he's not enamored by 1 year wonders, then we find out he was enamored by a 1 year wonder QB-the most dangerous player to pick among 1 year wonders. The only thing I can get out of what he said earlier, was that he was trying to say he wasn't responsible for the Maybin pick, and he really doesn't have a standard against 1 year wonders.

The fact that Nix has contradicted himself about a basic draft philosophy is worrisome.

I chalk that up as preference, not a hard law. I think it would be silly not to evaluate players individually. Especially in the top 5, four year resumes can be tough to come by.

Every player and circumstance is unique. I think that it is good that they don't have a "basic blanket policy" against

players who had one year of success. Now, I wouldn't have liked Newton at the 3rd overall pick. I happen to agree

with you that he will be a major bust, but who is to say we are right?

The rumors about supposedly strongly considering Gabbert had Dareus not been there worry me more, as I feel Gabbert is short lived for the NFL, and will be a complete bust. Where as I feel Newton as having a much higher ceiling than Gabbert, even though his bust factor is also pretty high, Gabbert's low td totals, and low ypa despite playing in a spread system in a weak defensive conference would worry me a lot more. All in All I feel when it comes to qb's the Bills identified Newton/Ponder as the top 2 guys they were after. We didn't get either and that's ok, as our defense should benefit from the attention it received and rightfully so.

Thoughts?

The first player they ever picked, CJ Spiller, should have threw up a huge red flag for all Bills fans. I think Nix is somewhere between Ozzie Newsome and a blind squirrel at this point.

Thoughts?

They wouldn't have drafted that bust, they say stuff to make it sound like they were on the same page with other teams.

Thoughts?

It wasn't just Carolina passing on Darius, it was Denver passing on him also.... as Nevergiveup stated that Newton / Darius were at the top of Buffalos draft board. Which means had Denver taken Darius the Bills might have drafted Blane Gabbert or who knows who they had rated as the highest rated player.

All I can say is we should all be happy that Darius fell to Buffalo so the team couldn't make its normally #1 first round boneheaded choice. Spiller-Maybin-McCargo-JP Losman

I don't really know if Newton will be a bust or not, all I do know is that kid is going to take 2-3 years to develop and he would have gotten killed behind Buffalo's still horrid O line.

Hitler was a bust.

Possibly one of the funniest posts I've ever read. Almost geysered the Shiraz.

As to the self-consuming paranoia that engendered the original post..."Get a life" comes to mind, along with a few other statements that would get me in the soup again. Relax. The Bills had a great draft. Sit back and enjoy the buzz. Idiot.

Thoughts?

It makes you nervous because we would have drafted a 6'6 250 pound qb that has a great arm, can run like a RB and avoid sacks like big Ben? Why? Because he didnt run a pro style offense and wants to be an icon? Considering what Chan did with Thigpen, Kordell, fieldler, o'donnell and fitz, I think Cam would've been exactly what we needed. A talented QB that would learn from a true qb guru and offensive mind in Chan. Maybe he would've flopped. But galleys history suggests otherwise. Just because you and many others dont like cam, doesn't mean he would've busted. And regardless of what he does in Carolina, that doesn't mean he'd have the same success (good or bad) with us.

It will bother me a little bit if Newton totally sucks. If he actually turns into a franchise QB, then that would certainly make me feel better about this front office. Although I liked newtons upside, I thought there was too much risk in taking him with our 1st pick.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Thoughts?

smoke and mirrors... misdirection... you got faked out

I've thought the same thing. It's only through good fortune/lucky circumstances that we got a sure-fire hit in this draft and not a very obvious bust. I like our draft this year, but this doesn't inspire confidence in the FO' s drafting philosophy.

I will give credit to the FO for not reaching to get a QB elsewhere; it appears that they had Newton and maybe Gabbert (shudder) as the only possible franchise QB's, and when they were gone, didn't jump to get a suspect QB.

We have a "sure fire hit" and not an "obvious bust". How in holy heck do you know that? I am very happy with the pick, but anyone who is that sure of the pick has read too many draft guides. This is an art not a science. Please people, stop with the absolute truths. Have an opinion but do not try to pass it along as the one and only truth. Whew, I feel better now.