If the Bills do a "Tyson Alulu" at 3, who is most likely?

Of course we all know the top, most likely names we could hear at 3. Newton, Gabbert, Peterson, Miller, Dareus, Fairley, A.J. Green, Bowers, Quinn (even Cam Jordan, since there's a whisper campaign for him at 3 on this board). But if its not one of the likely names, and we dont trade out, predict the next Tyson Alulu. Someone who will make your jaw drop, but at least its a position of need.

And please dont assume its Dick Jauron at OBD and choose some 5th round Safety prospect. Assume there's a contest worth $10,000 if you're right.

I'm going with either Corey LIUGET or Ryan MALLETT. I'm thinking if their favorite player is gone already (newton? Dareus?), then they will figure one of my 2 might be gone if they try to get cute and trade back into the bottom half of the first round, so why take a chance? They learned a lesson last year when they couldnt snag Tebow. Draft who you like and dont worry about "value."

Edited by maddenboy

Not going to happen but JJ Watt (Mark Ingram :devil: best RB available)

Good call, but I dont get the feeling that Gailey / Nix are slaves to the "high motor" gods like the past TBD bosses. I think they prefer big nasties in the trenches.

If it's not dareus, miller or the qbs

Then id bet heavily on Quinn, Jordan, or watt.

Lost in that shuffle is maybe fairley. If it's not one of those 8, I would be beyond shocked. I really can't imagine one of the WRs, CBs, or a bigger reach.

1. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

As the '10 college season nears its end, Castonzo has met scouts' expectations and definitely has moved from a possible first-rounder to a definite first-rounder now to a possible top-10 pick. He plays with uncommon flexibility, bending knees and pass blocking with a base few tall linemen can do. He also displays a strong hand punch in pass protection, a lost art the last decade. Castonzo is not the elite athlete like the Broncos' Ryan Clady but is a solid athlete with great technique, consistency and aggressive style of play.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/draft-dish/story/draft-dish-boston-college-tackle-castonzo-flying-up-draft-boards#ixzz1KNjFlvRl

And I would be happy with this pick.

If you're looking for them to make an under-the-radar kind of pick, I think it'll most likely be Ryan Mallett. I've had a suspicion for about a week or two now that he was their guy. Obviously, his draft stock going to be highly dependent on what the Bills and other teams' background checks turn up on him, but if they're comfortable with it, I think this is the pick to watch out for. It runs contrary to their statements regarding their ideal QB having mobility, but at the end of the day, you still pay your QB to throw the ball. You're not going to find a better pure passer in the draft than Mallett very often.

And remember what Nix said about the 2nd pick being dependent on their first? If it turns out that they do select Mallett in R1, I'd expect them to draft an OT in R2.

They said they'd use most of their picks on defense. They didn't necessarily say they'd do it early...

I loved mallet......then I seen him on his gruden camp segment.....ouch....stay away

My experience was the complete opposite.

As the '10 college season nears its end, Castonzo has met scouts' expectations and definitely has moved from a possible first-rounder to a definite first-rounder now to a possible top-10 pick. He plays with uncommon flexibility, bending knees and pass blocking with a base few tall linemen can do. He also displays a strong hand punch in pass protection, a lost art the last decade. Castonzo is not the elite athlete like the Broncos' Ryan Clady but is a solid athlete with great technique, consistency and aggressive style of play.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/draft-dish/story/draft-dish-boston-college-tackle-castonzo-flying-up-draft-boards#ixzz1KNjFlvRl

This would be like Al Calpone's Vault version 2.0

Edited by The Big Cat

Even though I stated in the OP that Cam Jordan wouldnt be a jaw-dropper, since people here on TBD have wanted him for weeks, you guys are still saying Cam Jordan would be a Tyson Alulu type pick. +1, +2, +500, etc.

Why? Why would it be a jaw-dropping surprise at this point?

I like Jordan too. His swagger in his combine interview seems genuine and manly, borne of a father who played in the NFL and being raised as a man.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2011/2/26/2017850/cam-jordan-press-conference-at-nfl-combine

Unlike Newton, whose swagger seems so contrived. Cam Jordan's is "how can I mush a quarterback with every waking breath?" but Cam Newton's is "how can I get drafted high enough to never have to worry about money, in case I end up sucking?"

What say you?

Edited by maddenboy

Cam Jordan is a real possibility, but if JJ Watt,IMHO, needs to be considered as a top 10 pick and I wouldn't be disappointed if the Bills were to select him at 3. His measurables are off the charts for a man his size and definitely merits consideration over guys like Fairley and Bowers.

JJ Watt... High motor

Chris Kelsay ... High motor

Both suck or will suck.

Just say no.

You want a DE from the Big Ten then take Cameron Heyward. I wouldn't take him at 3 but if the Bills trade down to around 8-13 and Cam Jordan is off the board I would take Heyward in a heart beat over Watt.

Even though I stated in the OP that Cam Jordan wouldnt be a jaw-dropper, since people here on TBD have wanted him for weeks, you guys are still saying Cam Jordan would be a Tyson Alulu type pick. +1, +2, +500, etc.

I like Jordan too. His swagger in his combine interview seems genuine and manly, borne of a father who played in the NFL and being raised as a man.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2011/2/26/2017850/cam-jordan-press-conference-at-nfl-combine

Unlike Newton, whose swagger seems so contrived. Cam Jordan's is "how can I mush a quarterback with every waking breath?" but Cam Newton's is "how can I get drafted high enough to never have to worry about money, in case I end up sucking?"

What say you?

Taking the generally 3rd-4th end at 3 would qualify as surprising. Not saying it would be wrong, but it would qualify as noteworthy. Also reaching by 10 spots is way bigger at 3 than it is later.

JJ Watt... High motor

Both suck or will suck.

Just say no.

You want a DE from the Big Ten then take Cameron Heyward. I wouldn't take him at 3 but if the Bills trade down to around 8-13 and Cam Jordan is off the board I would take Heyward in a heart beat over Watt.

Um, no.

If you're making a Watt-to-Kelsay comparison, it tells me you haven't watched Watt play...ever. Go check out the TCU bowl game and get back to me.

http://www.californi...-at-nfl-combine

What say you?

Still love Cam Jordan.

There's a funny thing that happens with players that they are accused of being underrated for so long that they eventually become overrated.

That has NOT yet happened to Cam Jordan. He's still underrated, IMO.

I (personally) think that Cam's still undervalued and way ahead of JJ Watt but #3 still seems a bit high for him. I feel that Jordan plays faster than his timed speed while Watt plays slower than his timed speed.

One of many things I love about Cameron Jordan is that he ALWAYS knows exactly where the ball is and what the offense is trying to do. Even when he's double teamed and forced to assume a contain and read posture, he's always ready to take the perfect pursuit angle to disrupt the play.

His football IQ is off the charts and he has a great mix of athleticism…power, speed, quickness, leverage…his hand usage is already NFL caliber.

Very high floor but not sure how high his ceiling is.

I would say that the Bills have a 50% chance of drafting someone who has a better career than Cam Jordan.

Um, no.

If you're making a Watt-to-Kelsay comparison, it tells me you haven't watched Watt play...ever. Go check out the TCU bowl game and get back to me.

I'd advise you go back and watch highlights of Kelsay in college. You'll notice they look very similar on tape in school. Both are white. Both wore red jerseys.

Just joking, but it got me wondering about CK coming out of school... Anyone have film or scouting reports? I bet it's not as distant from some of these guys as you think.

Of course we all know the top, most likely names we could hear at 3. Newton, Gabbert, Peterson, Miller, Dareus, Fairley, A.J. Green, Bowers, Quinn (even Cam Jordan, since there's a whisper campaign for him at 3 on this board). But if its not one of the likely names, and we dont trade out, predict the next Tyson Alulu. Someone who will make your jaw drop, but at least its a position of need.

And please dont assume its Dick Jauron at OBD and choose some 5th round Safety prospect. Assume there's a contest worth $10,000 if you're right.

I'm going with either Corey LIUGET or Ryan MALLETT. I'm thinking if their favorite player is gone already (newton? Dareus?), then they will figure one of my 2 might be gone if they try to get cute and trade back into the bottom half of the first round, so why take a chance? They learned a lesson last year when they couldnt snag Tebow. Draft who you like and dont worry about "value."

Cam Jordan is a real possibility, but if JJ Watt, IMHO, needs to be considered as a top 10 pick and I wouldn't be disappointed if the Bills were to select him at 3. His measurables are off the charts for a man his size and definitely merits consideration over guys like Fairley and Bowers.

While I think it's more likely that they'd take Jordan, I'd prefer JJ Watt.

JJ Watt... High motor

Both suck or will suck.

Just say no.

Um, no.

Actually because I respect your opinion, I took another look at Watt.

I was never impressed with his highlights vs Ohio State. I did take a look at the TCU game and he was pretty impressive. But what sold me was his 8+ minute highlight package against Michigan State.

He has a few similarities to Cam Jordan. Both have great instincts and vision. They always know where the ball is. Both have great hand usage and are violent in hand to hand combat…both would do well against Tim Krumrie. Both of them are inexorable and play past the whistle.

Watt appears to be stouter and stronger than Cam Jordan whereas Jordan looks like a more fluid athlete.

I think I underestimated JJ Watt. He looks like he'll be a great pro.

Okay here it goes and for a few reasons: Ryan Kerrigan DE !!!! The reasoning behind it is that Ryan Kerrigan actually visited the Bills and is slated by most to go somewhere in the first round (mid to late).. Also I have Kerigan slated at #16 and you know who that is don't you? Why, it's the Jacksonville Jaguars who ironically picked Tyson Ahwannaspellitright! Kerrigan being a defensive end actually would be a good fit and capable in the Bills defensive scheme! ohoh...Stranger things have happened! Just ask any Bills draft fan... :oops: hmmm, I'll have to talk to my cabbie friend in NYC !! :thumbsup:

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

Actually wouldn't hate the pick even thought it would be a huge reach but hey if the guy is a pro bowl RT the Bills would be proven right.

I was never impressed with his highlights vs Ohio State. I did take a look at the TCU game and he was pretty impressive. But what sold me was his 8+ minute highlight package against Michigan State.

He has a few similarities to Cam Jordan. Both have great instincts and vision. They always know where the ball is. Both have great hand usage and are violent in hand to hand combat…both would do well against Tim Krumrie. Both of them are inexorable and play past the whistle.

Watt appears to be stouter and stronger than Cam Jordan whereas Jordan looks like a more fluid athlete.

youtube.com/watch?v=j2q9DIi4m_c

Glad to have your opinion as always.

I do like Jordan, and I think he'd be a good fit for this team. The TCU game really sold me on Watt though; disruptive, powerful, and much quicker than I expected. That highlight reel you posted is a great example.

I don't think I'd be disappointed with either guy though.

youtube.com/watch?v=j2q9DIi4m_c

Looked good and that Michagan State QB looked pretty good too.

I don't see the Bills doing this, not at #3 when you have to give this player the richest contract in team history.

The pick will be Von Miller. He has the versatility, character, high motor, production, and pass rushing skill to warrant such a contract. He can play in any scheme and be effective. Who doesn't want this guy coming off of the edges with Shawn Merriman?

I like JJ Watt a lot, but I love Cam Jordan. For either guy, there is an opportunity to trade down and still get them, and if possible that should happen. This team has so many needs, basically across the board, that the more early round picks the better.

If they want to go Alualu style, which means 15-30 picks higher than expected.............Christian Ponder.

I think Andre Reed is announcing the #3 pick overall, not the the #34, so I'm not sure why everyone jumped to the conclusion that Ponder would be the 34th pick, maybe the Bills like him 31 spots higher than that.

If they want to go Alualu style, which means 15-30 picks higher than expected.............Christian Ponder.

I think Andre Reed is announcing the #3 pick overall, not the the #34, so I'm not sure why everyone jumped to the conclusion that Ponder would be the 34th pick, maybe the Bills like him 31 spots higher than that.

Reed's announcing #34 from what I recall. I wouldn't read anything into that about position though.

This front office has a history of 1 first-round fdraft pick, and they used it on a best-player-available, not a need, definitely not a reach. I don't have any expectation they will reach past the obvious players.

They may well look beyond the "obvious" positions - and take Peterson or Green. There really isn't anything wrong with that, except that it might be more wasteful if they don't pan out as stars?

When Chris Kelsay was drafted, Mel Kiper thought he was one of the major steals of the draft - a first-round talent the Bills got in the second round. As a 4-3 end, he was decent enough - no not a star you hope for but an OK starter. Big problem now is he has no position in the 3-4.

Honestly, given the lack of LB talent in this draft, I still don't see how it makes sense for them to stick with a 3-4. If they go with Miller it makes more sense - and he would certainly confirm their committment to the 3-4.

Edited by BobChalmers

I'd advise you go back and watch highlights of Kelsay in college. You'll notice they look very similar on tape in school. Both are white. Both wore red jerseys.

Just joking, but it got me wondering about CK coming out of school... Anyone have film or scouting reports? I bet it's not as distant from some of these guys as you think.

All I remember is the Bills saying they wanted to take Kelsay in the FIRST ROUND but took McGayhee instead. Then they were all gitty when kesay was still there in the second. little did they know he prob would have been available in the 3rd, 4th, 5th....

Just more evidence of how terrible our FO is. PS I think Dadonkadonk is Modrak after his comments.

I don't see the Bills doing this, not at #3 when you have to give this player the richest contract in team history.

The pick will be Von Miller. He has the versatility, character, high motor, production, and pass rushing skill to warrant such a contract. He can play in any scheme and be effective. Who doesn't want this guy coming off of the edges with Shawn Merriman?

Me and many others.

At this point, Modrak-Nix are so gun-shy, this won't be a Alualu pick; it will be the "safest" pick, BPA-style. No icons, no character issues, no penalty-drawing guy. They have to hit a home run. Round 1 Bills Board is Dareus, Miller, Peterson, Green, in that order.

If I needed to make picks that are 16+ slots below our Big Board, they would be:

RD1---none; safe pick

RD2---Colin Kaepernick, 22 pick Reach

RD3---Jarvis Jenkins, DE, 19 pick Reach

RD4A--Kenrick Ellis, NT, 26 pick Reach or Pernell McPhee DE34, 19 pick Reach

RD4B--Quinton Carter, Safety, 34 pick Reach

RD5---Shiloh Keo, Safety, 38 Pick Reach

RD6---Scott Tolzien QB, 22 point Reach

RD7A--Karl Klug, DE, 31 pick Reach (Klug is a Caledonia grad)

RD7B--Willie Smith, OT, 31 pick Reach

At this point, Modrak-Nix are so gun-shy, this won't be a Alualu pick; it will be the "safest" pick, BPA-style. No icons, no character issues, no penalty-drawing guy. They have to hit a home run. Round 1 Bills Board is Dareus, Miller, Peterson, Green, in that order.

If I needed to make picks that are 16+ slots below our Big Board, they would be:

RD1---none; safe pick

RD2---Colin Kaepernick, 22 pick Reach

RD3---Jarvis Jenkins, DE, 19 pick Reach

RD4A--Kenrick Ellis, NT, 26 pick Reach or Pernell McPhee DE34, 19 pick Reach

RD4B--Quinton Carter, Safety, 34 pick Reach

RD5---Shiloh Keo, Safety, 38 Pick Reach

RD6---Scott Tolzien QB, 22 point Reach

RD7A--Karl Klug, DE, 31 pick Reach (Klug is a Caledonia grad)

RD7B--Willie Smith, OT, 31 pick Reach

Bills have been making the "safe" pick for over a decade

too bad their talent evaluators have no clue how to identify skills and character that translate to the NFL to make that "safe" pick

Um, no.

+10

Shocking picks @ 3: any OT, a qb other than gabbert or newton, watt.

Any of the top 8-9 guys on the board wouldn't shock me.