Bills announce uniform change

Peter

We are currently wearing "a fresh new design", and we ended up with easily the worst uniforms in the league.

THIS. If it wasn't for the "make it easier for Fergie" decision that led to red helmets, chances are the Bills' uniforms would CURRENTLY be considered "classic" and might have only included some "modernization" updates over the years.

A return to a uniform modeled after those late 70s duds is awesome, IMO.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure, but i don't understand why some would call me an ass for it. there are those here who do agree with what i've raised and haven't been called out for their comments.

evidently, i always have to have some kind of agenda. or i come at people with a condescending tone. or some posters -- such as spartacus -- just don't like me.

i've never called anyone an "ass," "moron," "idiot," or questioned their line of work. i have questioned some people's posts and especially those who post absolutes, which are open to debate.

you've explained yourself politely. don't know why others can't.

jw

John, you have to understand as well that there are many people who post on these boards from all walks of life. Just like in any large group of people there are plenty of ignorant people who cannot separate personal feelings for their favorite team with debating facts about their team. As a fan it is hard to deal with a losing franchise as it is without people poking fun. Now, don't get me wrong, I have a sense of humor and have never been offended by anything I have read in your articles. If we can't laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at anyway right? I personally take a verbal beating from a family friend who is a Patriots fan (he is still in high school but his mother is a friend of the family's) who only started watching football when the Patriots started winning championships. What can I say though? When he says "The Bills suck," he isn't exactly wrong.

I urge you (as I am sure others have) not to cast all Bills fans in the same boat as some of these people. That would be like throwing all Muslims in with the extremist terrorists of the world.

Also, for the record, I think it is rather funny that we are all excited about the new uniforms. Good marketing move. If you are going to put a sub-par team on the field, why not sell some jerseys by getting rid of something that many fans have openly been disappointed with....and yes i am still talking about the uni's.

Although I do have one question. If we are a laughing stock, why do some of these national media members even bother talking about how hard the Bills played last season? Might as well just kick em' while their down.

I'm all for this if they keep the red helmets.

The white helmets remind me too much of the early 80s into the 2-14 years.

The early '80s white helmets were playoff teams and the red helmets arrived in '84 just in time for 2-14. I would like the white ones back.

The early '80s white helmets were playoff teams and the red helmets arrived in '84 just in time for 2-14. I would like the white ones back.

You know, you're right. My bad...I was tying the white helmets to the losing years because I left WNY right around that time and didn't see much of them again until the late 80s.

Yeah, and the red helmets keep us reminded of the winning tradition we have enjoyed the last 10 years?

Uh...how about the late 80s and 90s?

• 2 weeks later...

A poster on the Chris Creamer logo site posited this uniform set based on the descriptions:

Link

The half stripes on the arms kind of annoy me, but I would take that in a heartbeat.

I would be VERY, VERY happy with those jerseys!

:thumbsup: Likewise!

For that reason, why do I feel like that probably won't be it? :lol:

It seems every time one of my teams makes a uniform change, there is always at least one thing that is just off about it?

Like the "new" Sabres uniforms. I love the fact that they went back to the old look, but why, on earth, the "sweat stains" sewn into the underarms? It looks really stupid...thankfully only visable when a player lifts his arms...the one benefit of a scoring drought!!

Why does excitement for the uniforms have to be coupled with ignorance? I haven't heard one fan say they believe that the new uniforms will make for a better product on the field. Why can't people criticizing the excitement understand that it's just that, excitement for a new uniform, period. Why is it assumed that most fans are being duped by a marketing ploy from the front office into believing this means more than what it is, nicer uniforms? Furthermore, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with the fan base taking a sense of pride in how our team is represented by how our uniforms look.

Every fan would trade uniforms for a contending team. And I don't think it's a ploy for the front office to do this for the fans. Ultimately they need to improve the field product. And I don't think it's fair to assume the front office is using new uniforms in lieu of that.

Why does excitement for the uniforms have to be coupled with ignorance? I haven't heard one fan say they believe that the new uniforms will make for a better product on the field. Why can't people criticizing the excitement understand that it's just that, excitement for a new uniform, period. Why is it assumed that most fans are being duped by a marketing ploy from the front office into believing this means more than what it is, nicer uniforms? Furthermore, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with the fan base taking a sense of pride in how our team is represented by how our uniforms look.

Every fan would trade uniforms for a contending team. And I don't think it's a ploy for the front office to do this for the fans. Ultimately they need to improve the field product. And I don't think it's fair to assume the front office is using new uniforms in lieu of that.

Corn Flakes, meet Triple Threat's pee.

I think those unis are SICK! Though it IS strange that the AFCEast will all feature light colored (3 out of 4 white, 1 silver) helmets.

They've needed this jersey change for a while. I don't think it has anything to do with them duping us.

Edited by r00tabaga

Corn Flakes, meet Triple Threat's pee.

I think those unis are SICK! Though it IS strange that the AFCEast will all feature light colored (3 out of 4 white, 1 silver) helmets.

:huh:

TT wasn't peeing in any cornflakes. That seemed to be a response to wawrow's posts upthread. TT is saying that, contrary to some poster's attitudes here, better uniforms and a better team are not mutually exclusive goals.

Edited by UConn James

As in "Putting lipstick on a pig does not change that it's a pig"

Or at least give us an unveiling date to look forward to. I'm bored, and sick of all the draft threads.

i was wondering how they will handle the draft if they do not unveil the uni's before it. will they hand newton, whoever, the sh-tty dark jersey?you would think they would unveil before the draft.

i was wondering how they will handle the draft if they do not unveil the uni's before it. will they hand newton, whoever, the sh-tty dark jersey?you would think they would unveil before the draft.

I can't believe they haven't unveiled the new jersey yet. F'n Obama.

They cannot do anything for "the 2012 season" until a new CBA is reached. That includes the unveiling of "the 2012 jerseys". The ticket office said that the Fan Appreciation Day will be determined once an agreement is finalized. As for the Draft, I would hope that the throwback would be what they use for Fairley or Miller or whomever.

Last time in 2003(?) they used the old jerseys at the draft since the new ones had not been revealed yet.

Last time in 2003(?) they used the old jerseys at the draft since the new ones had not been revealed yet.

That was a moronic move. If you are going to have new jerseys, what a better way to let the world see it than by handing it to your first round pick? (Especially when you are picking so high, before all the hot pocket mouth breathers have changed the channel)

That was a moronic move. If you are going to have new jerseys, what a better way to let the world see it than by handing it to your first round pick? (Especially when you are picking so high, before all the hot pocket mouth breathers have changed the channel)

It wouldn't surprise me if the uniform event were tied to a ticket sale date.

I'm not trying to start a debate over the propriety of this or any 'Ralph is cheap' talk, just that I think it's highly probable.

It wouldn't surprise me if the uniform event were tied to a ticket sale date.

I'm not trying to start a debate over the propriety of this or any 'Ralph is cheap' talk, just that I think it's highly probable.

Well if they are unveiled at fan appreciation day I assume two things, A) there will be tickets sold to said event and it will most likely be held at the ralph and B) they will probably wait for some nicer weather to arrive as we move into the spring. Just my thoughts.

They cannot do anything for "the 2012 season" until a new CBA is reached. That includes the unveiling of "the 2012 jerseys". The ticket office said that the Fan Appreciation Day will be determined once an agreement is finalized. As for the Draft, I would hope that the throwback would be what they use for Fairley or Miller or whomever.

These jerseys are for 2011 aren't they? Same logic would apply though.

I'm all for this if they keep the red helmets.

The white helmets remind me too much of the early 80s into the 2-14 years.

New Uniform?

or this?

Understand one thing ... all of you RED helmet lovers, they're going bye-bye. I have an insider who works for Reebok who told me that Buffalo was getting new uniforms for 2011, and he was surprised since 2011 is their final year with the NFL before NIKE takes over ...

I frequent 2 BILLS chat boards, and 1 neutral, and from all the posts I've read there is an overwhelming demand for a return to the white helmet.

I was informed of the change a few weeks before the official announcement was made, but didn't take it as serious as I should have. This person knows how much I like the '65 throwbacks from my postings, and came from the neutal site.

Here's what he wrote:

Well, I've got bittersweet news for you. The Bills are likely changing uniforms, but not to the 1965 version. I can't figure out if it's for next season or for 2012. I work for Reebok/adidas, and they sent us a uniform guide, which would lead me to believe that the change is coming for next season (why would they send us uniform guides for 2012 when we're no longer a licensee?).

Anyway, if you can picture this, you'll have the inside scoop: Take the O.J. Simpson-era uniform. White helmet with current logo, red/blue stripes on the helmet and pants, a pair of white stripes with red trim on the sleeves and socks, and white numerals with red trim on the jersey. Then, add minimal navy blue trim to everything (similar to how the 49ers added a small amount of black trim to everything on their previous uniform, but even less than that).

From all my readings, many BILLS fans and neutral NFL fans want the BILLS to just go back to the '65 throwback fulltime, many are okay with that but just don't want the grazing Bison logo. Expect a compromise.

There's a few areas the BILLS were very definitive about in the season ticket letter. The charging Bison logo remains, the uniform will 'incorporate' the BILLS 'storied' look, meaning either royal blue of the 90s, or the lighter colbalt blue of the '65 throwbacks. Donohoe's navy blue 2002 color was never part of Buffalo's 'storied' history.

To me the only questions remaining is ... will the facemask be gray or blue (please not white) ... will the jersey numbers go on the sleeve or shoulders (like in '65), and finally, will there be blue pants for road games 'only' ... and no more monochrome-look at home games.

White on White throwback (away)

Who was the idiot who said "it couldn't get any worse"? Well, I think our current uni's are way better than the crap that Nike is pushing. We look like Pop Warner football now...if only we could win.

I hated the change to red when they made it...and I recall Fred Smerlas had some hilarious quote about them looking like pansies in the red lids at the time.

White helmet with the charging buffalo is the best lid the team has ever worn, and I'll gladly welcome it back.

As long as our QB can see the players, I could care less...Hey Fergie, thanks for the red helmet...not

Who was the idiot who said "it couldn't get any worse"? Well, I think our current uni's are way better than the crap that Nike is pushing. We look like Pop Warner football now...if only we could win.

There's been a lot of to-do about those designs in the past several months. Let's again dispel those "rumors."

These were mock-ups ostensibly made by someone (probably a graphics intern) at Nike for their ProCombat jersey that features different kinds of cloth/materials. They are not "pushing" these designs on any team. Individual teams hold all rights to their uniform design. Nike's main/only role --- starting in 2012 --- is to transfer over teams' designs to their jersey style with team and league liaisons and then produce them en masse. Nike does not get veto power on anything. For anyone expecting big changes to every club's uniform set, they will be seriously disappointed.

those mock-ups on Creamer's site you linked are awesome UConn! I would be very, VERY happy with those, as I have always been the white/charging buffalo helmet guy.

The only think I think it really needs is the word "BILLS" at the neck of the jersey. Every other NFL team has some identifying mark on thiers somewhere, I remember getting a Moulds #80 in the throwbacks the first season and everyone wanted to know where I got the Shockey jersey...