is PEGULA the next owner of the Bills ?

papazoid

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think it happens. he just said in the presser he has not thought about the bills. i'm sure somebody in his group or with the team told him the bills question would come up and his answer is "i really have not thought about it". at least tommy g openly stated if the bills were going to leave his interest could increase.

seems to me that pegula loves hockey and the sabres which could turn out great for us.

i'd rather hold out hope that there is a billion dollar man that feels the same about the bills and would step up when the time comes.

Edited by loyal2dagame

To even ask him that question was terrible on the part of Scott Brown from Channel 2. Here is a guy saying things that, as a Sabres' fan, had me believing I was having a wet dream. Only in Buffalo could we then say, "Yeah, this is great, but will you save the Bills, too?"

Bush league.

But what a day to be a Sabres' fan!

when have we ever heard this stuff as Buffalo sports fans?

"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup." -- New Sabres' owner Terry Pegula

"There is no salary cap in the National Hockey League on scouting budgets and player-development budgets," said Pegula.

We will aspire to be the best in the League at finding, developing and keeping our players in their new Buffalo Sabre family."

"Darcy (Regier, GM) will run a hockey department that I have previously said will have no financial mandates," said Pegula. "We're cutting the chains off and he's free to run with whatever he wants to do with scouting, player development, working with Lindy (Ruff, coach) and the coaches. We're going to pour some resources into that area of the team."

"If I want to make some money, I'll go drill a gas well," said Pegula, who became a billionaire in the natural gas market. "We're not in this to save money."

"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup." -- New Sabres' owner Terry Pegula

"There is no salary cap in the National Hockey League on scouting budgets and player-development budgets," said Pegula.

We will aspire to be the best in the League at finding, developing and keeping our players in their new Buffalo Sabre family."

"Darcy (Regier, GM) will run a hockey department that I have previously said will have no financial mandates," said Pegula. "We're cutting the chains off and he's free to run with whatever he wants to do with scouting, player development, working with Lindy (Ruff, coach) and the coaches. We're going to pour some resources into that area of the team."

"If I want to make some money, I'll go drill a gas well," said Pegula, who became a billionaire in the natural gas market. "We're not in this to save money."

I was just going to post that. Man, how great is that!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! I'm a casual hockey observer until the playoffs start. Would be nice to see the Sabres back at the top. I love to hear this from an owner. It's a big market outlook. Hopefully, the Bills get this from whoever is next.

Edited by purple haze

Wow, I hope this dude buys the Bills! Hopefully its not just more smoke up my arse.

I have always wondered why all NFL teams don’t feel this way. There is no cap limit on the scouting dept – and we all know the best teams draft the best. So why not employ double or triple the number of scouts that any other team employs? Why not pay double the salary that any other team would pay for a scout – to ensure that the best come and work for you. The SEC is so dominant, why not have a team of scouts whose only job is to dissect the SEC talent? Hell, you could honestly have 1 scout attend every single Alabama practice and game that team is so stacked with NFL talent. Employ a whole team of scouts to scourer the small schools and AA schools (this is the only thing the current bills scouts are good at, so keep their entire dept in tact as-is, but only let them scout the South Central Louisiana State Universities of the world rather than every player). Do the same thing with Pro Personnel. There are 8 conferences, get 1 guy for each conference with 1 head of the dept. If I owned the team I would spend 5x the money and employ 5x the scouts as any other team in the league on scouts for both college and the NFL. Hell, I would even get scouts to watch the CFL and UFL so I could find the next Cameron Wake/Tommy Maddox.

And what about recruiting? The NFL recruits Undrafted Rookies and Free Agents – why not have the best locker room, the best training room, the best everything – spare no expense. Big time colleges dwarf the NFL in that regard. Some teams (the Bungals) don’t even have an indoor facility! Meanwhile multiple HIGH SCHOOL teams in Cincinnati have indoor facilities! When the teams went to Dallas for the SB, and had to practice inside bc of the weather, they were quoted as saying the facilities were nicer at the High Schools than at their own facility! What a joke.

Didn't get to listen to it yet, but from what I have read...this is about as exciting as it gets for a Buffalo sports fan...an owner openly stating that he only wants to win...I am sure people will be pissed that Darcy is still a part of the plan, but, honeslty, I don't think Rieger has really been the problem.

Great day for the Sabres, since at the very least, it means they stay in Buffalo while Pegula's alive (he's 60).

That being said, the trade deadline is in less than 6 days. Get cracking on making some trades to get the Sabres into the playoffs!

Great day for the Sabres, since at the very least, it means they stay in Buffalo while Pegula's alive (he's 60).

That being said, the trade deadline is in less than 6 days. Get cracking on making some trades to get the Sabres into the playoffs!

What about Quinn? Will he still be around?? Whoever was involved in the decision to not resign Drury & Briere for reasonable deals before the last year of their contracts should be removed.

What about Quinn? Will he still be around?? Whoever was involved in the decision to not resign Drury & Briere for reasonable deals before the last year of their contracts should be removed.

Quinn is gone.

Not sure what role Quinn played versus Pegula's guys Black and Sawyer, but here's an article about Sawyer from the Buffalo News

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article348541.ece

Or get "fracking", in this case!

Can this really be the owner of a Buffalo-based sports franchise?

"If I want to make some money, I'll go drill a gas well," the founder and former president of the energy company East Resources Inc. responded. On whether he'll spend to the player salary cap, "We'll put the pedal to the metal as capably as we can," he said. "I don't know if it's wise to spend to the cap every year. But we're not in this to save money, that's for sure."

I'm not a Sabres fan, but good for you guys. The way I'm hoping this helps my selfish interests is that Pegula builds a winner, spends to do it, and makes the Bills feel as they are second class citizens in town. Maybe then, the Bills organization will feel a little bit of urgency to actually field a winner year after year instead of just existing. Far fetched, maybe, but I know if I was an owner of the Bills, and Pegula built and spent like a winner, I would start to feel a little inferior. Maybe Pegula is just what Buffalo needs. A guy who doesn't make excuses because it's Buffalo.

Things are looking a little brighter in Buffalo these days!

:beer:

I love it, not a Sabres fan but love going to Sabres games and would love to see them do well. I have posted in the past that I believe that spending money in scouting and player development would actually save Ralph money in the long run. Replace soon to be FA with younger, cheaper players or actually have pro scouts that can find secong tier FAs that will excel in the system that the Bills are using. Use the savings to lock up key positions and repeat. See the Steelers or New England for the blueprint.

Just published on the Buffalo News website by John Vogl.

"He has no interest in purchasing the Buffalo Bills.

"Nope," he said. "I've got too much going right here, right now to get this running the way we want, to inject the attitude we want into the organization, to think or worry about football teams."

Maybe he would consider becoming a minority investor?

Still this is a great time to be a Sabres Fan!!!

Just published on the Buffalo News website by John Vogl.

"He has no interest in purchasing the Buffalo Bills.

"Nope," he said. "I've got too much going right here, right now to get this running the way we want, to inject the attitude we want into the organization, to think or worry about football teams."

Maybe he would consider becoming a minority investor?

Still this is a great time to be a Sabres Fan!!!

Maybe he would like to experience being the owner of the Sabres first.

at least he is straight up and gives a definite answer on the Bills.

we will see if things are different once he settles into his role in the community and the Bills are in peril. Im sure if someone was heading up a group and approached Pegula he would give it serious thought.

Detroit = Hockeytown

Buffalo = Hockey Heaven -Pegula

Received a few phone calls from family & friends after the presser 'All Shook Up!' "Ya goota see this! Greatest day in Buffalo sports history!!'

I watched it and here's my take. For a self made billionaire, he has serious problems speaking! Comes across as a Dolt! Crying seeing Perrault? IDK, perhaps it was real but I don't think so and here's why.

I'm a bigger fan of the Sabres than he is. I and many my age and older were fans for life in '69 with the news we'd be getting an expansion NHL team. He said he became a fan in '75. '75?!? He's just a freakin' bandwagon jumper! '75 was our first Cup year. He's from Pittsburgh -where his true loyalties rest- and we were playing the defending Champs from -wait for it- Philly. To know PA is to know there's no love lost between the 2 city's. It's likely he has no idea the roulette wheel spin that gave us 1st overall from Vancover landed on 11, not 1 as previously reported. That #11 became Gilbert Perrault. He wasn't here to see Eddie the Enteratiner -though he eventually found himself in Pittsburgh in a trade for Robert. He didn't feel the horror and grief we all did when Tim Horton crashed and died on the QE. He likely knows nothing of Jim Schoenfeld's double album featuring the best brawl in Sabres history. He jumped on the Sabre bandwagon cuz we were playing Philly..

I'm a bigger fan of the Sabres than he is. I and many my age and older were fans for life in '69 with the news we'd be getting an expansion NHL team. He said he became a fan in '75. '75?!? He's just a freakin' bandwagon jumper!

Quit whining because the Sabres and not the Bills have a new owner who by all accounts is going to do his best to give Buffalo a major sports championship.

Hopefully the Bills will be in the same position someday.

I for one appreciate Golisano stepping in and keeping the Sabres in Buffalo, but the team did suffer during his reign. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens now.

And as luck would have it, I will be at the game tonight!

Edited by CodeMonkey

Pegula may at some point consider involvement w/ the Bills, but he'd be a fool to go into business w/ Jim Kelley, and he certainly doesn't sound like a fool.

True. It's never a good idea to get into business with a dead man.