is PEGULA the next owner of the Bills ?

papazoid

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! if ralph said this i would die! i would also ask who spiked his pudding. i like the approach. he sounds like a guy who is a fan first, who just happened to stumble upon a couple billion dollars. though this is what i expect when jimbo takes over ownership of the bills. though it sounds like financial suicide is a better ticket seller than bringing in a washed up player to sell tickets. i also noticed there was not a this is going to take ANOTHER 2-3 years. dude wants to win now. ralph and the bills FO should be taking notes.

It has been mentioned publicly that Golisano would have a "heavy interest" in the Buffalo Bills, with strong emphasis on keeping the team in Buffalo. I don't have a link, but it was in an article related to his sale of the Sabres. His concerns were rooted in his other business ventures in WNY, as he benefits greatly on the Bills franchise being in the area.

Just published on the Buffalo News website by John Vogl.

"He has no interest in purchasing the Buffalo Bills.

"Nope," he said. "I've got too much going right here, right now to get this running the way we want, to inject the attitude we want into the organization, to think or worry about football teams."

Maybe he would consider becoming a minority investor?

Still this is a great time to be a Sabres Fan!!!

If you look at the public records of New York State here:

http://appext9.dos.state.ny.us/corp_public/CORPSEARCH.ENTITY_INFORMATION?p_nameid=415485&p_corpid=355631&p_entity_name=%42%75%66%66%61%6C%6F%20%42%69%6C%6C%73&p_name_type=%41&p_search_type=%42%45%47%49%4E%53&p_srch_results_page=0

it seems likely that Ralph Wilson "owns" the Bills because he is the (a) Chairman of the Board or CEO and (b) either the sole OR majority owner of the shares of Buffalo Bills, Inc. - - - a New York State corporation. I say "likely" because although you would expect any successful business man to shield his other personal assets from liability by using a corprate form of team ownership, I have no information one way or the other about whether this particular corporation is being used by Ralph Wilson to own the Bills football team. Given the corporate name, it would seem logical, but that's no guarantee. Ralph could be using this corporation for some Bills-related purpose other than actually owning the team.

I don't know for certain, but it also seems logical to me that if anybody out there on the information superhighway could confirm that "Buffalo Bills, Inc." is the name on the checks the team uses to pay expenses controlled by the league (e.g. player salaries?), that would be a pretty strong indication that this really is the corporation that Ralph Wilson uses to "own" the Bills. Any bank tellers out there that could confirm one way or the other what name is on such checks?

I follow this board when I have time, but I only see a small fraction of the posts. I can't recall ever seeing any discussion of the fact that Ralph Wilson could already have sold a minority interest in the Bills without making that fact public. Closely held private corporations aren't required to make the same type of public disclosures that widely held public ones must make. I don't have any expertise about New York state law as it applies to privately held corporations, but I am not aware of anything that would prevent Ralph Wilson from (1) selling a minority stake in Buffalo Bills , Inc. (2) telling potential minority stake buyers that he would only sell to them if they agreed to keep their mouths shut while he was alive, (3) avoiding public disclosure of such a sale, and (4) continuing to truthfully represent to the public that he is the owner of the Bills (because he still owns a majority of the company's shares). I am NOT saying this has happened - - I'm just saying that it could have happened without the public being aware of it.

I keep reading second hand accounts about how Ralph has said the team will be sold upon his death. Assuming that's true, it would not be inconsistent with a pre-existing sale of a minority interest to a silent investor. Upon Ralph's death, his estate could sell the shares of the corporation Ralph still owned, which could be considered to be selling the team because it would still be a majority stake.

Just thought I'd give everybody some new facts to chew on.

And by the way, for those who think that the league prevents corporate ownership of teams, I think you're misinformed. The league now prevents ownership of teams by non-profit corporations (other than Green Bay, which got grandfathered in because they were already owned that way before the league passed the rule), but closely held private for-profit corporations are a different animal.

Upon previewing this post I'm not sure the link I pasted in works because it's so long, so I cut and pasted the full text of the New York State corporate record below:

NYS Department of State

Division of Corporations

Entity Information

The information contained in this database is current through February 22, 2011.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: BUFFALO BILLS, INC.

Initial DOS Filing Date: NOVEMBER 08, 1974

County: ERIE

Jurisdiction: NEW YORK

Entity Type: DOMESTIC BUSINESS CORPORATION

Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)

BUFFALO BILLS, INC.

ONE BILLS DRIVE

ORCHARD PARK, NEW YORK, 14127

Chairman or Chief Executive Officer

RALPH C. WILSON JR

99 KERCHEVAL AVE

GROSSE POINTE PARK, MICHIGAN, 48236

Principal Executive Office

BUFFALO BILLS, INC.

99 KERCHEVAL AVE

Registered Agent

NONE

This office does not record information regarding the names and addresses of officers, shareholders or directors of nonprofessional corporations except the chief executive officer, if provided, which would be listed above. Professional corporations must include the name(s) and address(es) of the initial officers, directors, and shareholders in the initial certificate of incorporation, however this information is not recorded and only available by viewing the certificate.

*Stock Information# of Shares Type of Stock $ Value per Share

200 Par Value 1

*Stock information is applicable to domestic business corporations.

Name HistoryFiling Date Name Type Entity Name

NOV 08, 1974 Actual BUFFALO BILLS, INC.

A Fictitious name must be used when the Actual name of a foreign entity is unavailable for use in New York State. The entity must use the fictitious name when conducting its activities or business in New York State.

NOTE: New York State does not issue organizational identification numbers.

Detroit = Hockeytown

Buffalo = Hockey Heaven -Pegula

Received a few phone calls from family & friends after the presser 'All Shook Up!' "Ya goota see this! Greatest day in Buffalo sports history!!'

I watched it and here's my take. For a self made billionaire, he has serious problems speaking! Comes across as a Dolt! Crying seeing Perrault? IDK, perhaps it was real but I don't think so and here's why.

I'm a bigger fan of the Sabres than he is. I and many my age and older were fans for life in '69 with the news we'd be getting an expansion NHL team. He said he became a fan in '75. '75?!? He's just a freakin' bandwagon jumper! '75 was our first Cup year. He's from Pittsburgh -where his true loyalties rest- and we were playing the defending Champs from -wait for it- Philly. To know PA is to know there's no love lost between the 2 city's. It's likely he has no idea the roulette wheel spin that gave us 1st overall from Vancover landed on 11, not 1 as previously reported. That #11 became Gilbert Perrault. He wasn't here to see Eddie the Enteratiner -though he eventually found himself in Pittsburgh in a trade for Robert. He didn't feel the horror and grief we all did when Tim Horton crashed and died on the QE. He likely knows nothing of Jim Schoenfeld's double album featuring the best brawl in Sabres history. He jumped on the Sabre bandwagon cuz we were playing Philly..

Not everyone can be a dyed-in-wool Sabres fan. Pegula has plenty of time to catch up on Sabres history. The issues you raise really don't concern me at all.

I still haven't watched the presser video…but all I hope for is that his comments are sincere.

I'm thrilled that he bought the team. Pegula is a "white knight" at a time when Buffalo's professional sports teams continue to face a shrinking market and uncertain economic times. After the ownership of the Rigas family and the mixed bag of the Golisano era, I couldn't be happier with our new owner, regardless of his knowledge of events in team history that occurred 40 years ago.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Not everyone can be a dyed-in-wool Sabres fan. Pegula has plenty of time to catch up on Sabres history. The issues you raise really don't concern me at all.

I still haven't watched the presser video…but all I hope for is that his comments are sincere.

I'm thrilled that he bought the team. Pegula is a "white knight" at a time when Buffalo's professional sports teams continue to face a shrinking market and uncertain economic times. After the ownership of the Rigas family and the mixed bag of the Golisano era, I couldn't be happier with our new owner, regardless of his knowledge of events in team history that occurred 40 years ago.

Fair enough, SJBF. I'll always be guarded about outsiders buying our Sports teams -think Snyder. That Pegula brought the hierarchy from Pittsburgh with him is kinda re-assuring that -for the near future- they're committed to building ANOTHER Cup winner.

But the presser was embarrassing to me -both for his terrible orating and his supposed gushing love for a franchise he otherwise viewed as an enemy for all those years. Heck, at 90+ years, Ralph's public speaking skills make him seem like Shakespeare by comparison..

Fair enough, SJBF. I'll always be guarded about outsiders buying our Sports teams -think Snyder. That Pegula brought the hierarchy from Pittsburgh with him is kinda re-assuring that -for the near future- they're committed to building ANOTHER Cup winner.

But the presser was embarrassing to me -both for his terrible orating and his supposed gushing love for a franchise he otherwise viewed as an enemy for all those years. Heck, at 90+ years, Ralph's public speaking skills make him seem like Shakespeare by comparison..

Like I mentioned. I haven't watched the press conference so I will take a look.

I know Buffalo sports fans ask for so little that when we get anything, we tend to be overly-grateful. That's partly in play here, no doubt.

Hopefully he's a man of his word and he'll be the type of owner that he professes he will be…that a championship is more important than the financials.

I'm a bit disappointed that the NHL trade deadline is so close at hand. I'm not sure much can be done in terms of roster upgrading with what's left of this season. Pegula might not be able to deliver much after such a bold-talking press conference.

Like I mentioned. I haven't watched the press conference so I will take a look.

I know Buffalo sports fans ask for so little that when we get anything, we tend to be overly-grateful. That's partly in play here, no doubt.

Hopefully he's a man of his word and he'll be the type of owner that he professes he will be…that a championship is more important than the financials.

it is much more than that. He appeared very sincere and all the right things were said. Someone asked him about ticket prices and he was genuinely taken off guard as he hadnt even thought of that yet (through thoughts of building the best organization possible).

Heard him on WGR today and again, hit it out of the park. He was even quoting Jim Dellavano's book (VP of the Red Wings). He also admits he doesnt have all the answers.

His goal is to make the Sabres into the top or one of the top class organizations, where players are going to want to go to win the Stanley Cup. It doesnt seem like he is embellishing and I dont see any motivation for him to lie. If anything, setting the bar high does him a disservice.

There is not one bone in my body that feels nervous or bad about this. In fact, this is probably top day for me as a Buffalo sports fan in my 32 years.

He also defended Connolly and Niedermayer on the radio today which I really liked. That is going to go a long way to earn players' respect, and word spreads.

And already they have waived Rivet. A move that 2 days ago would be unheard of and non-permissible.

The next owner of the Bills will be a weathy Arabian or Chinamen - laugh if you wish, but as they seek ways to deploy their monies and gain familiarity with Western culture, they will realize that the NFL is the wealthiest gentlemen's club in the planet. The next closest league would be the English Premier league, and there are already a handful of Arabian and Russian owners and the Chinese just missed on their recent attempt at Liverpool.

It may not be the Bills, but foreign ownership will start to creep up in the NFL - there is no issue with cash (satisfying the Jerry Jones' of the world) and it will satisfy the NFL's want to expand globally. I target the Bills for this reality as our ownership is amongst the leagues most precarious given RW's age...

I'm not sure if he was a Penguins fan. He was a Sabres sth from '80-'98. Doubt you would have seasons if that wasn't your team.

I'm not sure if he was a Penguins fan. He was a Sabres sth from '80-'98. Doubt you would have seasons if that wasn't your team.

I go to SF Giants, Oakland A's, Golden State Warriors, Niners, and Raiders games. And I'm not a fan of any of those teams. I like watching pro sports and that's why I go. He might be an ardent Sabres fan, or the Sabres might be "one of his favorite teams." It's possible even that he's a big NHL fan more than a devotee of any one team.

To that point, didn't Pegula live in Orchard Park for many years? Could be he's just a big hockey fan.

I'm not saying he isn't a Sabres fan…but it's possible that there's a hockey team closer to his heart than the Sabres (Penguins?).

Pegula would have nothing to gain by admitting it of course. Anyways, it's all speculation.

Just thinking out loud.

If you look at the public records of New York State here:

http://appext9.dos.state.ny.us/corp_public/CORPSEARCH.ENTITY_INFORMATION?p_nameid=415485&p_corpid=355631&p_entity_name=%42%75%66%66%61%6C%6F%20%42%69%6C%6C%73&p_name_type=%41&p_search_type=%42%45%47%49%4E%53&p_srch_results_page=0

it seems likely that Ralph Wilson "owns" the Bills because he is the (a) Chairman of the Board or CEO and (b) either the sole OR majority owner of the shares of Buffalo Bills, Inc. - - - a New York State corporation. I say "likely" because although you would expect any successful business man to shield his other personal assets from liability by using a corprate form of team ownership, I have no information one way or the other about whether this particular corporation is being used by Ralph Wilson to own the Bills football team. Given the corporate name, it would seem logical, but that's no guarantee. Ralph could be using this corporation for some Bills-related purpose other than actually owning the team.

I don't know for certain, but it also seems logical to me that if anybody out there on the information superhighway could confirm that "Buffalo Bills, Inc." is the name on the checks the team uses to pay expenses controlled by the league (e.g. player salaries?), that would be a pretty strong indication that this really is the corporation that Ralph Wilson uses to "own" the Bills. Any bank tellers out there that could confirm one way or the other what name is on such checks?

I follow this board when I have time, but I only see a small fraction of the posts. I can't recall ever seeing any discussion of the fact that Ralph Wilson could already have sold a minority interest in the Bills without making that fact public. Closely held private corporations aren't required to make the same type of public disclosures that widely held public ones must make. I don't have any expertise about New York state law as it applies to privately held corporations, but I am not aware of anything that would prevent Ralph Wilson from (1) selling a minority stake in Buffalo Bills , Inc. (2) telling potential minority stake buyers that he would only sell to them if they agreed to keep their mouths shut while he was alive, (3) avoiding public disclosure of such a sale, and (4) continuing to truthfully represent to the public that he is the owner of the Bills (because he still owns a majority of the company's shares). I am NOT saying this has happened - - I'm just saying that it could have happened without the public being aware of it.

I keep reading second hand accounts about how Ralph has said the team will be sold upon his death. Assuming that's true, it would not be inconsistent with a pre-existing sale of a minority interest to a silent investor. Upon Ralph's death, his estate could sell the shares of the corporation Ralph still owned, which could be considered to be selling the team because it would still be a majority stake.

Just thought I'd give everybody some new facts to chew on.

And by the way, for those who think that the league prevents corporate ownership of teams, I think you're misinformed. The league now prevents ownership of teams by non-profit corporations (other than Green Bay, which got grandfathered in because they were already owned that way before the league passed the rule), but closely held private for-profit corporations are a different animal.

Upon previewing this post I'm not sure the link I pasted in works because it's so long, so I cut and pasted the full text of the New York State corporate record below:

NYS Department of State

Division of Corporations

Entity Information

The information contained in this database is current through February 22, 2011.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: BUFFALO BILLS, INC.

Initial DOS Filing Date: NOVEMBER 08, 1974

County: ERIE

Jurisdiction: NEW YORK

Entity Type: DOMESTIC BUSINESS CORPORATION

Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)

BUFFALO BILLS, INC.

ONE BILLS DRIVE

ORCHARD PARK, NEW YORK, 14127

Chairman or Chief Executive Officer

RALPH C. WILSON JR

99 KERCHEVAL AVE

Principal Executive Office

BUFFALO BILLS, INC.

99 KERCHEVAL AVE

Registered Agent

NONE

This office does not record information regarding the names and addresses of officers, shareholders or directors of nonprofessional corporations except the chief executive officer, if provided, which would be listed above. Professional corporations must include the name(s) and address(es) of the initial officers, directors, and shareholders in the initial certificate of incorporation, however this information is not recorded and only available by viewing the certificate.

*Stock Information# of Shares Type of Stock $ Value per Share

200 Par Value 1

*Stock information is applicable to domestic business corporations.

Name HistoryFiling Date Name Type Entity Name

NOV 08, 1974 Actual BUFFALO BILLS, INC.

A Fictitious name must be used when the Actual name of a foreign entity is unavailable for use in New York State. The entity must use the fictitious name when conducting its activities or business in New York State.

NOTE: New York State does not issue organizational identification numbers.

Thanks very much for this info....I wonder what motives there might be for Ralph to do it this way. If it were me, I would let it be known, and instead of being viewed upon more negatively than positively lately, he could be alive while he is adored by this whole region.

I go to SF Giants, Oakland A's, Golden State Warriors, Niners, and Raiders games. And I'm not a fan of any of those teams. I like watching pro sports and that's why I go. He might be an ardent Sabres fan, or the Sabres might be "one of his favorite teams." It's possible even that he's a big NHL fan more than a devotee of any one team.

To that point, didn't Pegula live in Orchard Park for many years? Could be he's just a big hockey fan.

I'm not saying he isn't a Sabres fan…but it's possible that there's a hockey team closer to his heart than the Sabres (Penguins?).

Pegula would have nothing to gain by admitting it of course. Anyways, it's all speculation.

Just thinking out loud.

Do you break down in tears at he sight of Mitch Richmond?

Do you break down in tears at he sight of Mitch Richmond?

As a person who's not a true Warriors fan (I do like them but I was raised with the Braves so any team will be a distant second), NO.

Although I have met him. He was a scout for the Warriors (might still be) and seems like a pretty cool guy. No tears though. I reserve those for The Chroise.

Detroit = Hockeytown

Received a few phone calls from family & friends after the presser 'All Shook Up!' "Ya goota see this! Greatest day in Buffalo sports history!!'

I watched it and here's my take. For a self made billionaire, he has serious problems speaking! Comes across as a Dolt! Crying seeing Perrault? IDK, perhaps it was real but I don't think so and here's why.

I'm a bigger fan of the Sabres than he is. I and many my age and older were fans for life in '69 with the news we'd be getting an expansion NHL team. He said he became a fan in '75. '75?!? He's just a freakin' bandwagon jumper! '75 was our first Cup year. He's from Pittsburgh -where his true loyalties rest- and we were playing the defending Champs from -wait for it- Philly. To know PA is to know there's no love lost between the 2 city's. It's likely he has no idea the roulette wheel spin that gave us 1st overall from Vancover landed on 11, not 1 as previously reported. That #11 became Gilbert Perrault. He wasn't here to see Eddie the Enteratiner -though he eventually found himself in Pittsburgh in a trade for Robert. He didn't feel the horror and grief we all did when Tim Horton crashed and died on the QE. He likely knows nothing of Jim Schoenfeld's double album featuring the best brawl in Sabres history. He jumped on the Sabre bandwagon cuz we were playing Philly..

WOW! Chandler, I almost always agree with you (one of few people on the board I can say that about) but your cynical outlook on Pegula just strikes me as odd...like I thought you were joking at first.

I kind of liked the fact that he wasn't a great speaker. From what I have read of him, his roots are very blue collar, and working class. Everything, as sports fans anyways, we Buffalonians normally cherish. I don't know how anyone couldn't be happy about this. I realize, buying the team, and building a winner are two far differnt things, but this should be a hell of a ride, if Pegula (T-Pegs!) is a man of his word. I like what someone here said, it was refreshing to hear "Buffalo" as a word of pride, rather than being used as an excuse or apology.

I may be mistaken, but he did say that his son was a Penguins fan. Sure if I was a teenage hockey fan, growing up in town that had a perennial contending team, it would be hard not to be a fan...I believe Pegula when he says he is a Sabres fan. From all reports Terry Pegula was a Sabres season ticket holder for 18 years. Is this now being disputed?

Edited by Buftex

WOW! Chandler, I almost always agree with you (one of few people on the board I can say that about) but your cynical outlook on Pegula just strikes me as odd...like I thought you were joking at first.

I kind of liked the fact that he wasn't a great speaker. From what I have read of him, his roots are very blue collar, and working class. Everything, as sports fans anyways, we Buffalonians normally cherish. I don't know how anyone couldn't be happy about this. I realize, buying the team, and building a winner are two far differnt things, but this should be a hell of a ride, if Pegula (T-Pegs!) is a man of his word. I like what someone here said, it was refreshing to hear "Buffalo" as a word of pride, rather than being used as an excuse or apology.

I may be mistaken, but he did say that his son was a Penguins fan. Sure if I was a teenage hockey fan, growing up in town that had a perennial contending team, it would be hard not to be a fan...I believe Pegula when he says he is a Sabres fan. From all reports Terry Pegula was a Sabres season ticket holder for 18 years. Is this now being disputed?

I'm not disputing it. Keep in mind, the guy's a Billionaire -not that I know what that really means.. If I were wealthy and bought a house near my wife's family and was a hockey fan, I'd have me a box with whatever team I lived by.

I'm not anti-Pegula -5th grade speaking skills notwithstanding. My wariness comes from all my friends & family in WNY flipping out over a few words a new owner says on his first day. We have a profound history of wrapping ourselves wildly into our teams' hopes with very little history of happy end results. We measure success by whether we still have a team. Lost the Braves, lost an MLB bid, sharing the Bills with Canada and nearly lost the Sabres to a greedy owner -albeit a local boy.. I AM happy the Penguins are currently solvent. Otherwise, this could have been the worst day in Sabres history.

I'm not disputing it. Keep in mind, the guy's a Billionaire -not that I know what that really means.. If I were wealthy and bought a house near my wife's family and was a hockey fan, I'd have me a box with whatever team I lived by.

I'm not anti-Pegula -5th grade speaking skills notwithstanding. My wariness comes from all my friends & family in WNY flipping out over a few words a new owner says on his first day. We have a profound history of wrapping ourselves wildly into our teams' hopes with very little history of happy end results. We measure success by whether we still have a team. Lost the Braves, lost an MLB bid, sharing the Bills with Canada and nearly lost the Sabres to a greedy owner -albeit a local boy.. I AM happy the Penguins are currently solvent. Otherwise, this could have been the worst day in Sabres history.

I can understand your trepidation, as you said, we have been burned countless times. But, you have to remember, Pegula, to my knowledge, hasn't been a wealthy man his whole life. His wealth is a relatively recent phenomenon. I listened to most of his press conference yesterday, and I wasn't nearly as offended by his speaking abilities as you seem to be. He wasn't illiterate, just not a smooth speaker...I thought it was a great showing, and seemed sincere.

Not to prey on your fears, but it seems like every few months, Mario Lemeux makes some comment about getting out of the NHL. Usually just petulant BS, when things don't go his way, on the ice.

Eh, I guess maybe it is that loser mentality settling in, but I am going to wrap myself wildly in my teams hopes, every year, no matter what their history is. I root for the Bills, Sabres and Celtics, in that order...up until three years ago, none had won a damn thing, in almost 25 years. The Celtics were coming off 20 years of being one of the worst teams in the league, years, year after year...but they did something bold that changed their fortunes, won a championship, while playing in the finals 2 out of 3 years. Call me naive (and maybe we are fools to buy what Pegula is selling, sight unseen), but I am hoping this is the bold move that will change the Sabres fortunes as well...

Edited by Buftex

I remember hearing Kelly mentioning having never even met Pegula before, so I doubt that's who he has in his plans to buy the team.

I don't know if Peugla is Kelly's guy, but I remember reading previously, when all the Pegula rumors started in regards to the Sabres, there was an interview with one of Pegula's business associates, asking about "what kind of guy" T-Pegs was. His interest in buying the Bills came up...and according to this person, Pegula would "definitely be interested when/if that time came" for the Bills to be up for sale.

I realize Pegula denied interest at the PC yesterday, but I think he was just being pc, because it would be rude to make those type of comments, particularly in the setting. He is speaking as the new owners of the Buffalo Sabres, not as a prospective future owner of the Buffalo Bills.

As Buftex and Promo have stated, Pegula would never comment on the Bills owership situation while Ralph is alive, especially not at the news conference where he was being introduced as the new owner of the Sabres.

That said, he is now on our radar screen for involvement in any group of investors interested in keeping the Bills in Buffalo. It's immaterial if Kelly has spoken to him or not. He should and he probably will.

Thanks very much for this info....I wonder what motives there might be for Ralph to do it this way. If it were me, I would let it be known, and instead of being viewed upon more negatively than positively lately, he could be alive while he is adored by this whole region.

I spent a little time trying to search online for any NFL rules on ownership transfers. I could not immediately find the text of any NFL rule or bylaw, but did see articles making reference to the fact that a vote of the owners is required to approve the sale of even minority interests in any team's ownership. While I suppose that it's possible for the other owners to approve the sale of a minority interest in some sort of confidential session and keep it a secret, it just seems to me like the chances of that actually happening without something being leaked to the press are pretty low.

I suppose Wilson could grant someone an option to purchase the team after some future triggering event (like Wilson's death) without requiring a league vote right now, but that might be inconsistent with the second hand reports here that Wilson has said that the Bills would be sold after his death. I never saw the text of what Wilson actually said - - only the second hand reports here. Did he say that after his death the team would be "sold to the highest bidder" or simply that it would be "sold." One phrasing precludes anybody already owning an option to buy the team after his death - - the other doesn't.

Does anybody have a link to what Ralph Wilson actually said about selling the team after his death? If so, thanks in advance.

What if the existing Toronto deal is renewable for say another 5 years at the Canadians' option, but also gives the Canadians an option to buy the team outright after Ralph's death conditioned upon the new owner always playing at least some specified number of Bills' games in Buffalo? Would that be inconsistent with anything Ralph has publicly said?

Ive heard various interviews. He seems very well educated on the history of the team along with anecdotes from his own experiences watching/listening to the team. If he isnt a pretty big fan he is going through a ton of trouble and doing a heck of an acting job to appear so.

Schopp also has made the point numerous times that in the time Pegula was looking for a team, many other teams have been for sale for a lot cheaper. He waited for and chose the Sabres and spent a lot more money to buy them.

Ive heard various interviews. He seems very well educated on the history of the team along with anecdotes from his own experiences watching/listening to the team. If he isnt a pretty big fan he is going through a ton of trouble and doing a heck of an acting job to appear so.

Schopp also has made the point numerous times that in the time Pegula was looking for a team, many other teams have been for sale for a lot cheaper. He waited for and chose the Sabres and spent a lot more money to buy them.

Other NHL teams were sold for less? Golisano took $70M less from Pegula to keep the team in Buffalo.

Tampa sold for $110 million, Phoenix $150 million (less if you consider the public bonuses), Atlanta could be had for cheap, Dallas is always for sale, etc...

That $250 million offer was just Jim Balsielle being belligerent and attempting to make an offer an owner cant refuse.

NFL franchises are nearing the neighborhood of $1 billion.

If the Bills are to stay in Buffalo, it most likely won't be just one owner buying the team. It will probably be an ownership group.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pegula was a part of that group.

Agreed. The primary question is who would be the majority owner and by how much? I doubt the NFL will allow for a highly diluted ownership scenario.

Detroit = Hockeytown

The difficulty speaking really didn't seem like much of a big deal to me. He's very new to this forum. He'll figure it out soon enough.

The rest of your post really bugs me though. I just did a quick search and I saw that he moved to Olean in '75. Do you really expect someone living in a completely different part of the country to be a fan of a team from an area he has never actually been to? Sure, it probably helps that the team was where they were when he happened to move to the area, but in the end, that's just coincidence. This whole idea that someone can't be as big of a fan as someone else if they weren't there as long is a bunch of BS. The vast majority of the fanbase wasn't there from the start, so I guess that makes most of us bad or lesser fans.

After reading all there is to read and watching the press conference, there's no doubt that Pegula is a true blue Sabres fan.

He would park on a raised overpass when he was in Pittsburgh so he could get radio reception to listen to Sabres games.

On his honeymoon, he took his wife to watch the Sabres play at the Montreal Forum.

When out of town on the night of Sabres games, he would call a friend who would leave the telephone receiver next to a radio so he could listen to the Sabres broadcasts.

He broke down in tears at the press conference at the sight of Gilbert Perreault, telling Les Gros, "You are my hero…"

IMO, there's no way Pegula is not a Sabres fan.

One of the reason's he had a hard time talking is because he was so overcome with emotion.

This is a non-issue, IMO.

The difficulty speaking really didn't seem like much of a big deal to me. He's very new to this forum. He'll figure it out soon enough.

The rest of your post really bugs me though. I just did a quick search and I saw that he moved to Olean in '75. Do you really expect someone living in a completely different part of the country to be a fan of a team from an area he has never actually been to? Sure, it probably helps that the team was where they were when he happened to move to the area, but in the end, that's just coincidence. This whole idea that someone can't be as big of a fan as someone else if they weren't there as long is a bunch of BS. The vast majority of the fanbase wasn't there from the start, so I guess that makes most of us bad or lesser fans.

And, it's been 36 years since he became a Sabres fan! I think he's made up for his sin of not being a Sabre fan in their first five years of existence by the things mentioned by San Jose.

Besides, the Shony album was a single album, not a double album!

And, it's been 36 years since he became a Sabres fan! I think he's made up for his sin of not being a Sabre fan in their first five years of existence by the things mentioned by San Jose.

But did he ever edit Gary Bettman's wikipedia page so that it says he "awarded" the Stanley Cup to Dallas? That's the true sign of a fan.

I don't care if he's really a fan or not. I care only about the team he bought and what may happen to it on his whims. Olean is just a couple rock throws from home -just happens to be a State line between the throws. His hometown team had been in the NHL since '67. Do you know anyone who switched loyalties from their hometown team after 9 years of exisitence, while living in the same proximity? At the same time he claims to have switched allegience, the Pens finally made the playoffs, losing to the Islanders in 7 games.

Yes, I'm calling out the sappy, weepy presser with references to his new teams' personal 'hero's', as it doesn't mean anything and may well be schtick. I care about 2 things. The team stays in Buffalo and performs well.

The fold-opening Shoney album sifted alot of -um 'greens', single or double album contents notwithstanding.

Pittsburgh is at least twice as far from Olean as Buffalo is.......And, having lived in Olean for four years, I can tell you it's a Buffalo place, not a Pittsburgh place. All the TV is from Buffalo, mostly Bills/Sabres fans, etc.

As for the Shony album, I'm not sure what this means:

sifted alot of -um 'greens',

But, it definitely folded out and had pictures of the brawl.

Trying not to get too wrapped up in the Pegula hype (it's not like the Sabres just traded for Gretzky afterall), but man, listening to Rick Martin on GR right now...I am amped...I almost wish we could start next season right now...

Pittsburgh is at least twice as far from Olean as Buffalo is.......And, having lived in Olean for four years, I can tell you it's a Buffalo place, not a Pittsburgh place. All the TV is from Buffalo, mostly Bills/Sabres fans, etc.

As for the Shony album, I'm not sure what this means:

sifted alot of -um 'greens',

But, it definitely folded out and had pictures of the brawl.

Maybe Chandler is excusing his take on this as a result of illicit substances taken, way back when the Schoney album was burning up the charts! Vinyl 12 inch LP's had more than one use back in the day... :w00t:

btw- all due respect Chandler! It is rare that anyone sees the dark side of things more than me! :lol:

Edited by Buftex

Trying not to get too wrapped up in the Pegula hype (it's not like the Sabres just traded for Gretzky afterall), but man, listening to Rick Martin on GR right now...I am amped...I almost wish we could start next season right now...

Next season? The Sabres are 3 points (with 2 games in hand) out of 8th place. Make some trades before the deadline.

Next season? The Sabres are 3 points (with 2 games in hand) out of 8th place. Make some trades before the deadline.

Except for the fact that Darcy Regier is still the Sabres GM.

He put this team together and by his lack of action so far one has to assume he is satisfied with the current talent level of the team.