Bob Sanders

superbills315

Schefters twitter.

Anyway, Am I crazy to speculate that he will be asking for at least 6 mil? Atogwe will be asking for the same, too, especially if Sanders signs first. This only makes Whitners price tag higher, and Wilson's too. Anyone else see what I am getting at? At least 1 of those safeties will be on this roster in 2011, but at what expense? Sanders is going to set the market price - - - unfairly, too. He is about as reliable as Bleacher Report.

IDK. Can he really expect to get anywhere near that? I feel like he's looking at a Merriman-like "I've gotta prove I can stay healthy" type deal.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how I feel about any of the safties mentioned here but all I know is we NEED to sign two of them. We already know what we have in both Whitner and Wilson. Sanders gets hurt a lot because he is throwing his body like a mad man and putting it all out on every play. We could use a guy like that on this team. It does make me feel good to see that Buddy is at least looking at the FA talent and seeing if they can improve our team. That alone says we are actually moving forward...I hope lol!

Simply put....George Wilson is better then Whitner......

The stats might not support me.....but Wilson is the better player. If you add a pro bowler who gets hurt too much PLUS George Wilson it is STILL better then Whitner.

I couldn't disagree more. Wilson isn't better than Whitner at anything. The question is how much of a drop off will there be if Wilson is the starter and we don't sign Whitner or a free agent?

IDK. Can he really expect to get anywhere near that? I feel like he's looking at a Merriman-like "I've gotta prove I can stay healthy" type deal.

That's a huge difference. Merriman is like 25-26? He had something to look forward to after this year? That is, he did nothing in 2009, and about a fleas worth work of work in 2010. That alone is not what set his figure low. Merriman came in with some monkey's on his back, off the field questionable activities and possibly steroid use took a larger role in his signing then many would think.

Sanders is 30 years old in a couple days, and has been out of commission for quite some time. His playing style has taken a toll on his body - he has nothing to prove. Sanders has proven his worth, yet, he's shown his weakness. Still, he will be commanding a salary of no less then $4mil. Jacksonville has the money to pay it, has the incentive to pay it, and will.

I say it is 50/50 he signs with Jville or Buffalo. It will be one of those teams and it will be rather soon. He cannot afford to wait until after March 3rd.

Looks like Dante is closely monitoring FA safeties from around the league, and has been reposting links on his twitter (that sounds X rated).

http://twitter.com/DonteWhitner

Other sources are reporting that there is some degree of interest by Buffalo in either Sanders or Atogwe.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/615561-bob-sanders-oj-atogwe-released-will-buffalo-bills-take-a-chance-on-either

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/21/2005466/bills-showing-interest-in-bob-sanders-o-j-atogwe

I don't know if this is just posturing on the part of the Bills or not, but I have to say that I'm a little concerned. Dante isn't great, but he's solid. The thing about Sanders is that he just can't stay healthy. If we could get him for dirt cheap, then fine, but otherwise I'd keep Dante. We've already taken one risk with Merriman....

Sanders is probably the reason Marv drafted Lil' Donte. Marv adored Polian and wanted to copy his defense.

The difference was Sanders could actually transform the Colts defense. His impact in the run game was surreal. I like the idea of taking a very low cost flyer on Sanders with the idea that Wilson and Scott would likely get the majority of the PT. The guy is an inspirational football player, something the Bills could use, especially on D.

Atogwe would be even better, but he is actually a long term solution and would be costly. SS is not high on my list of places to spend FA dollars or high draft picks, either way. I'm thinking Sanders would be in for a Merriman type deal.

I couldn't disagree more. Wilson isn't better than Whitner at anything. The question is how much of a drop off will there be if Wilson is the starter and we don't sign Whitner or a free agent?

Wilson clearly has better ball skills. There may be some debate in other areas, but not in this one.

Simply put....George Wilson is better then Whitner......

The stats might not support me.....but Wilson is the better player. If you add a pro bowler who gets hurt too much PLUS George Wilson it is STILL better then Whitner.

Have to agree there. I just think Wilson has better instincts that Whitner, now add Sanders.

First of all.....Wilson gets his hands on more passes and is better in coverage......he is actually IN position instead of being late to the ball and trying to jar it loose because he cant cover.....

Oh thats right....Daunte is better at making tackles downfield after 1st downs

Sanders is probably the reason Marv drafted Lil' Donte. Marv adored Polian and wanted to copy his defense.

The difference was Sanders could actually transform the Colts defense. His impact in the run game was surreal. I like the idea of taking a very low cost flyer on Sanders with the idea that Wilson and Scott would likely get the majority of the PT. The guy is an inspirational football player, something the Bills could use, especially on D. Atogwe would be even better, but he is actually a long term solution and would be costly. SS is not high on my list of places to spend FA dollars or high draft picks, either way. I'm thinking Sanders would be in for a Merriman type deal.

Agree. Maybe he could be our new Leonard Smith...the inspirational leader that cements this defense.

You're right but people will always have that bias against Whitner. Whitner is a very solid, well rounded safety. Wilson is not as good in run support and is not nearly as versatile. Wilson has better ball skills (as a result of being a receiver) but that's not the main job of a SS.

That said, the dropoff between Whitner and Wilson isn't that far. IF DW thinks he deserves top safety money, then it's time to move on.

Agree that Whitner is a good player but nothing special as he makes very few big plays.

This situation is typical of the Buffalo Bills flawed mode of operation for ten years. Reach on a player like Whitner. Then lose him in free agency and have to replace another hole from yet another wasted first round pick. At pick #9 you should at least get a solid starter for years to come.

Sanders is probably done if Polian is letting him go. I just hope the Bills do not overpay for him.

Atogwe is similar in skill to Whitner. He will no doubt be less hated in Buffalo since he does not carry the #9 pick stigma.

Strong Safety, a position designed to play on the strong side of the line where the offense is more likely to run the ball. This player is bigger, stronger player then the FS and usually a hard hitter and has many attributes similar to the WLB in a 3-4. This player is the last man to stop the runner. He will often face a runner with a full head of steam gained over 15 yards. This runner weighs 230 lbs. or more usually, like most inside running backs, and faces the SS often under 220lbs.

George Wilson, 29, 6', 212#

Very good instincts against the pass, allows him the ability to change to FS. His run support is capable, yet, for his size not that solid, he offers a lot of tangibles to a team, including leadership. His age could seem a problem, but he is young on playing years. His athletic ability is his weakest attribute, often finding himself unable to compete directly against the stronger pass catchers in the AFCE. A highly respected player in the locker room that carries himself at a highly professional level.

Donte Whitner, 25, 5'10", 208# (please notice the spelling of his name)

A smaller player, yet hard hitting. His commitment comes to the run first at the sacrafice of his pass defending capabilities and more importantly commitments. He often moves himself in to position on the pass play, whereas Wilson will have himself in the needed position. Whitner makes up for this in his athletic ability. His leadership is a valued commodity to the team, with a strong work ethic. Despite the TBD perception that he lacks maturity due to his twittering - Whitner is no different then many players on the roste.1

1, see the twitter accounts of CJ Spiller, Drayton Florence, Tourrel Troup (favorite comment, "I'm bored."), and former Bill Daryl Talley

Bryan Scott, 29, 6'1", 219#

A backup player who brings a lot to the table. Athleticism is arguably better then his instincts. His knowledge of the game seems on par with the two SS above him, while his size allows him the ability to better combat the harsh hits of the position.

Jarius Byrd, 24, 5'10, 200#

Jon Corto, 26, 6'1", 220#

Special teams player thru and thru and as such deserves better then analyzed as position he does not play.

Bob Sanders, 30, 5'8, 206

The obvious concerns are injuries and time spent away from the field. His reliability is low, his potential upside is much higher. Misconceptions about Sanders are that he is an instinctive player. He is not, he plays close to the line in the middle of the action. He is a tremendous athlete and can put himself in to position to make plays. He is similar to Whitner in that he cannot rely on mental intuition to make the play. His hard hits and physical play match that of many other safeties to play the game. Will likely garner a salary over $2-3 million, and I would bet it to be over $5mil and a 2-3 year term. Sanders could find problems adjusting to the AFCE where he will have to defend the pass.

Oshiomogho Atogwe, 29, 5'11, 205,

A cap casualty as much as anything with the Rams. I do not know as much about him as I do those above. What I do know, though, is that he is able to find the ball and defend against it. He can be found all over the field and has been used to fill many roles.

-----

Bob Sanders is a Tampa2 SS. If we want him to succeed we will need a pass defending WLB - which we do not have and there are no true WLB's in the draft, as well. He will not be much different then Whitner, that is, if he makes the field. Atowge might be the better route for us to go, but his figure will likely put him out of the running for our team. I do not think we will be able to retain both Whitner and Wilson at a feasible figure. Of course, this all depends on Sanders. If Sanders signs with us it ends a lot of discussions. If he signs with the Jags then expect his figure to set the price for everyone else. Atowge will command the highest salary, Whitner will be second due to Sanders injuries. Wilson will likely have a modest drawing, figuring around $3 mil.

Personally, I would like to keep Whitner. I do not know if it will be worth it, due to his salary demands. Even with Whitner, I still want Wilson on this team.

Maybe this is our new plan. Instead of losing so many players to IR during the season and having to fill in the holes at the last second... we'll just sign players who are already injured so we know what to expect going into the season. The team will be great in Madden though! (with injuries turned off, of course)

:thumbsup:

:lol:

I think we'd get more out of Colonel Sanders at this point.

mmmm. 8 spices and original flavors

Maybe this is our new plan. Instead of losing so many players to IR during the season and having to fill in the holes at the last second... we'll just sign players who are already injured so we know what to expect going into the season. The team will be great in Madden though! (with injuries turned off, of course)

:thumbsup:

I have the urge to kick you. (for legal reasons, i will admit that it would be in a non threatening way, more of you being a smart ass).

He's the Pozluzny of the secondary- made of glass.

Or anabolic steroids. I don't think that there have been any legitimate studies to date, but juicers tend to break down much easier.

It's a shame, because Sanders was all-world before falling apart.

Edited by Red

grewat player, but he's going to continue getting injured. I think we'd better sign Whitner and concentrate on getting players in the defensive front seven.

screw Whitner, sign Wilson..

Hes only missed 39 games the past 3 seasons

Look on the bright side....he is well rested.

Bill Polian does not let players go who are still valuable on the field. I love Sanders style but he is too much of an injury risk worth gambling on.

The reason why Bob Sanders was cut was because the Colts have to re-sign Peyton Manning, who is due a lot of coin this offseason.

I'm sure his propensity for being injured made it easier to cut him.

The best part about all of this is that the majority of the posters are against signing a once great, injury prone, fairly young player cut from a much better team (Sanders), yet are all for signing a once great, injury prone fairly young player cut from another much better team (Merriman).

Go figure.

Agree that Whitner is a good player but nothing special as he makes very few big plays.

This situation is typical of the Buffalo Bills flawed mode of operation for ten years. Reach on a player like Whitner. Then lose him in free agency and have to replace another hole from yet another wasted first round pick. At pick #9 you should at least get a solid starter for years to come.

Sanders is probably done if Polian is letting him go. I just hope the Bills do not overpay for him.

Atogwe is similar in skill to Whitner. He will no doubt be less hated in Buffalo since he does not carry the #9 pick stigma.

Agreed. good post. When judging whether or not to re-sign a player, you do not take into consideration their draft position. That is foolish. Fans are still complaining becasue they are butt hurt because they wanted Ngata.

And since Whitner is referred to as lil donte based on his size, it looks as if the Bills are interested in Lil OJ or Really Lil Bob. I'm personally looking forward to signing Really Lil Bob so he can be put on IR in week 4.

Edited by Ramius

Agreed. good post. When judging whether or not to re-sign a player, you do not take into consideration their draft position. That is foolish. Fans are still complaining becasue they are butt hurt because they wanted Ngata.

And since Whitner is referred to as lil donte based on his size, it looks as if the Bills are interested in Lil OJ or Really Lil Bob. I'm personally looking forward to signing Really Lil Bob so he can be put on IR in week 4.

You must have loved the Lil (post steroid) Shawn signing.

Looks like Dante is closely monitoring FA safeties from around the league, and has been reposting links on his twitter (that sounds X rated).

http://twitter.com/DonteWhitner

Other sources are reporting that there is some degree of interest by Buffalo in either Sanders or Atogwe.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/615561-bob-sanders-oj-atogwe-released-will-buffalo-bills-take-a-chance-on-either

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/21/2005466/bills-showing-interest-in-bob-sanders-o-j-atogwe

I don't know if this is just posturing on the part of the Bills or not, but I have to say that I'm a little concerned. Dante isn't great, but he's solid. The thing about Sanders is that he just can't stay healthy. If we could get him for dirt cheap, then fine, but otherwise I'd keep Dante. We've already taken one risk with Merriman....

Ugh. I'm kinda pissed at the Bills. Trying to cash in on old injured players. Come on, first Merriman, now Col. Sanders? WTF Buddy??? Open up the pocket book and buy a REAL Safety!!!!!!!

sign whitner. end of story.

He doesn't look so bad now, does he? atleast compared to Col. Sanders and the other guy...

After having a draft class comprised mostly of college seniors, hiring Doug Whaley and later Dave Wandstedt, and signing Shawne Merriman, I have realized that wily old Buddy Nix and company are slowly, but surely changing the atmosphere and culture of our beloved Buffalo Bills.

As soon as Gailey had the Bills remove the televisions from their weight room, I knew he meant business. In just one swift off-season and a quick 4-12 campaign, the signs of a culture shift are gathering. There are now heavily padded training camps, the head coach is nearly brutally honest about players when asked, and players are willing to go all out when their name is called.

As a result of this, I feel like a storm of winning football is brewing in the Bills’ locker room, but that place -the locker room- is still missing a couple of key links… Some nasty, never stop, hard working, and talented leaders that the entire team respects and would rally around. I’m not going to act like I know any of the Bills players personally, so I cannot really judge any of them as leaders, but I’m going to guess that when a group of 54 men who spend the majority of their time together are lead by the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Fred Jackson, Lee Evans, Eric Wood, Chris Kelsay, Paul Posluszny, and George Wilson, I would not be surprised that the group sees fleeting success. For that reason, I feel like Shawne Merriman may have been a step in the right direction, but I believe Bob Sanders could be exactly what the Bills need in this department.

If Sanders stays healthy for a decent portion of the year and we see glimpses of his brilliant play, then I think he would help the team leaps and bounds. Sanders' tremendous play and intensity will have been enough to captivate his teammates to the point where most players highly respect the former Pro Bowl safety. With that said, Sanders has great tools in his leadership arsenal: he is tough as nails (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3088621), he’s a veteran that could surely teach every safety on the roster a thing or two, he's got the heart of four lions, and he’s been on a perennially winning team that has even won a Super Bowl.

Edited by 2003

All that sounds good, but how much do you want to rely on players who have not been able to play the last 3 years. If we have 2 key guys that we are counting on and neither pan out it could be another long year on defense. I would agree if we can get sanders cheap it might be worth looking into, but I bet there is enough interest in him that he will not be signed cheap. I would love to see us sign 1 or 2 proven guys on defense that can step in and start. Then taking chances on unreliable players and new guys form the draft isnt so bad. With the way our D played last year and looking like its possible several starters will not be returning we need proven players not question marks.

geez...we get better by KEEPING our better players, getting rid of bad players drafting trading and free agency. Getting an injury prone guy at the tail end of his career (Sanders, and maybe Merriman) isn't the best way to do this. Sign Whitner and throw your money into free agent front 7 players where we have HUGE GAPING holes. Don't put band aids on little cuts when you are suffering from arterial bleeding.

I don't see where Sanders is visiting tomorrow. Where is that?

BTW, my source says that Whitner is gone. I'm not 100% sure if he meant unless he lowers his demands, but I do know the Bills are letting him walk if he keeps trying to get the numbers he's throwing out there.

I still don't get all the Sanders love. The guy has played more than 6 games in a season just 2 times out of the 7 years he's been in the league.

Being a Bills fan is like being a kid with cheapskate parents. You have that constant feeling of insecurity because your stuff is not as nice as everybody else in school. If you want something new, it's always no-name stuff and it falls apart. If you want the good brand, it's always used and kind of ragged. You know that pretty girl in your class you have a crush on? It's gonna take a miracle!