Golisano "interested" to keep the Bills in Buffalo

EndZoneCrew

Golisano stated that if the Bills go up for sale and there is a doubt that the team would stay in Buffalo, he would be very interested in being part of a package to keep them in Buffalo. This is fantastic news, and the first time I have heard anything concrete. What do you think?

Edited by EndZoneCrew

I think it was a little more telling that he's never heard anything about them ever being for sale. It could certainly be a poker face, but I really hate the idea of no succession plan by Mr. Wilson whatsoever. This might also mean that Golisano is not on Jim Kelly's list of "investors" (which I am confident does actually exist). His statements might be opening the door for those conversations if they haven't happened yet.

Man, it would be nice to not have to speculate all the time and worry about our teams leaving.

I think it was a little more telling that he's never heard anything about them ever being for sale. It could certainly be a poker face, but I really hate the idea of no succession plan by Mr. Wilson whatsoever. This might also mean that Golisano is not on Jim Kelly's list of "investors" (which I am confident does actually exist). His statements might be opening the door for those conversations if they haven't happened yet.

Man, it would be nice to not have to speculate all the time and worry about our teams leaving.

for the umpteenth time Kelly has stated numerous times emphatically that money is not the issue.

And, if money is not the issue, and Kelly is putting the group together, IS there an issue?

Now, if one wants to disbelieve Jimbo - one can. But if you believe him, then one has to think about under what circumstances that Jim would head up a group of investors

that would allow for the team to leave Buffalo.

I, myself, cannot think of the circumstances.

So, I conclude the Bills are not going anywhere.

sure made my day! i am not a fan of quinn or golisano for obvious reasons concerning the on -ice product they try to sell us, but the mere fact he essentially said he would be VERY interested if the bills were in danger of leaving certainly seems like he would step up, very comforting, to say the least. the only question i would have is, would the fans be content if golisano runs the bills like he ran the sabres? i know, the bills have been worse, but i think it is due from outright ineptness as compared to golisano "wanting to break even" (as he said today). i will answer my own question.. yes, i would rather have a mediocre bills team, than none at all.

Edited by dwight in philly

Golisano is a selfish bastard who only makes investments if its sure to pay out, whether in capital or self-glorification. Football in Buffalo is a lose-money prospect. He will NEVER buy the Bills and I wouldn't want his tight pockets to in the first place. Keep your hopes rooted in reality please.

Maybe I read it incorrectly, but when he was talking about Ralph and he made reference to Ralph being smart and also talked about Mr Wegman having a succession plan to avoid the death tax, Tom seemed to insinuate that Ralph has a succession plan in place. I got the impression that Tom was basically saying that the future of the Bills is already decided. He said something about "the Bills might never be for sale" or something like that. I have no factual basis for this, but it sounded to me like Tom didn't want to step on Ralph's toes but he was saying that Ralph already has a plan in place and that is why he has never been willing to talk to people who want to buy the team.

Edited by Maddog69

Golisano is a selfish bastard who only makes investments if its sure to pay out, whether in capital or self-glorification. Football in Buffalo is a lose-money prospect. He will NEVER buy the Bills and I wouldn't want his tight pockets to in the first place. Keep your hopes rooted in reality please.

Yeah Ralph lost a fortune owning the Bills. :thumbdown:

This was a very telling quote and one I always believed:

"Ralph Wilson is a very smart guy, and if he thinks he has an estate tax problem or is going to have an estate tax problem, I would have to assume he's already done something about it. Now, I know he plays his cards very close to the vest, but I don't ever know if the Buffalo Bills are going to be for sale."

I never understood why so many people think that Wilson has nothing planned. I know he hasn't told the public about it, but does he have to? I mean, I have something planned and I don't have anywhere even a smidgen close to what Wilson has.

This was a very telling quote and one I always believed:

"Ralph Wilson is a very smart guy, and if he thinks he has an estate tax problem or is going to have an estate tax problem, I would have to assume he's already done something about it. Now, I know he plays his cards very close to the vest, but I don't ever know if the Buffalo Bills are going to be for sale."

I never understood why so many people think that Wilson has nothing planned. I know he hasn't told the public about it, but does he have to? I mean, I have something planned and I don't have anywhere even a smidgen close to what Wilson has.

I just kind of wish that if Mr Wilson has something set up which is designed to keep the Bills here, he would come clean about it.... for no other reason than to collect our gratitude

Apparently you missed the part about Golisano turning down an offer that was $70 Million higher because it would have involved moving the team out of Buffalo. He also put a clause in the sale agreement to Pagual that makes it impossible for the Sabres to be moved. He really seems like a selfish bastard.

If that doesn't convince you - try visting any of the Rochester colleges or universities his has donated money too, the Veterans Outreach Center (named after his late brother) or the Golisano Children's hospital.

I don't get all the hate that Golisano seems to inspire. Sure, we never won a cup with him, and there were definitely some miscues in handling players...but, in a sense, he is just like Ralph Wilson. If you say "Ralph is cheap" there are many who will come to his defense, and insist he isn't. I don't believe that Mr Wilson, or Mr Golisano are "cheap" per se, but both overspend in the wrong areas, and let the more important thigs slide. In the case of the Bills, however, I give Mr Wilson more crap, than I would Golisano.

It was clear, from the begining, Golisano was buying the Sabres to insure that they stayed in WNY, and thusly, added some strength to his other area businesses. While Mr Wilson (to my knowlege) doesn't have a lot of business investments, beyond the Bills, in WNY, at least at this point, his motives for owning the team as financially based as they are in "building a winner". I think that is why Mr Wilson, justifiably, has so many detractors. But, it is fair to say, about both men, we owe them some gratitude for keeping our two favorite teams from moving. I respect Golisano for getting out after a relatively short time...he made them profitable, turned over a little profit for himslf, and is moving on.

All that said, I would not necessarily be thrilled to see Golisano buy the Bills, if they were run the way the Sabres have been, or, as the Bills have been run. If it was the only option, I would be okay...but, Pegula seems to be more the kind of owner I want for our teams...that is, if all the hype about him being a "fan first" is true.

I just kind of wish that if Mr Wilson has something set up which is designed to keep the Bills here, he would come clean about it.... for no other reason than to collect our gratitude

Same here, I don't need details. I would just like to hear that a plan is in place to secure long term, stable ownership of the Bills and secure their future in Buffalo for the next several decades.

I think by doing this, he would immediately receive positive publicity and would get more benefit of the doubt from the fans.

I think their would be an increase in ticket sales as well.

But, to be honest, I think Ralph enjoys the villain persona.

Edited by Maddog69

I think by doing this, he would immediately receive positive publicity and would get more benefit of the doubt from the fans.

+1

Same here, I don't need details. I would just like to hear that a plan is in place to secure long term, stable ownership of the Bills and secure their future in Buffalo for the next several decades.

But, to be honest, I think Ralph enjoys the villain persona.

maybe he does....

It would just be kind of a tragedy for him to receive all the criticism and hatred while he is alive.... then passes..... and when all the layers are peeled away we find out that he has basically gifted us the team in place for the foreseeable future.

I would start to collect the signatures for the bronze statue, but he would never know.

Maybe I read it incorrectly, but when he was talking about Ralph and he made reference to Ralph being smart and also talked about Mr Wegman having a succession plan to avoid the death tax, Tom seemed to insinuate that Ralph has a succession plan in place. I got the impression that Tom was basically saying that the future of the Bills is already decided. He said something about "the Bills might never be for sale" or something like that. I have no factual basis for this, but it sounded to me like Tom didn't want to step on Ralph's toes but he was saying that Ralph already has a plan in place and that is why he has never been willing to talk to people who want to buy the team.

If current rates hold up, the estate tax is not going to clobber the next owner. It's at 35% with a $5M exclusion, but assuming that the exclusion is tied up in Ralph's other property, it means that the heir only needs to sell 35% of the team to pay the taxes. So say Ralph decides that Kelly should own the team, and it's left to him in the will (unlikely, but I don't know who else is Ralph's heir now, since his daughter passed.) Jim sells 35% to pay the taxes, and 14% to send $100M back to Ralph's other heirs (or whatever). He's the majority owner now, and the taxes are paid. That's not too bad.

Time to be Debbie Downer on Pegula.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/carpenter/mc-paul-carpenter-team-owners-20110203,0,6567425.column

I think Wilson has had a succession plan for a long time. I think it's been kept private because fans will probably hate it as it swaps out one type of uncertainty (does he have a plan?) with different uncertainty (what will his daughters do? Sell?) and Wilson does not want to subject his two daughters to the media and fan circus it'd create.

Meh, another article about the dangers of Fracking - I think we all know there are issues with the business (though, I wouldn't see any if I sold my company for $4.7 billion). Not sure what that has to do with the guys love of hockey. Also, he's from the area, not Florida. And am I supposed to be shocked that a billionaire gave hundreds of thousands to the Republicans? Nope...

Let's give the guy a chance before poo-pooing his ownership of the Sabres...

As for the Bills, I too am interested in keeping there here - anyone (other than Pegula), have about a billion I can borrow?

This sir is a profound statement. And i hope someone here has the wherewithall to forward it to Ralph and his Gang.

I really think the old guy would shed an honest tear. I am not being sarcastic. What a good fan you must be. Go Bills

.... for no other reason than to collect our gratitude...

Thanks

If you think about the businessmans way that Golisano ran the Sabres, do we really want more of the same with the Bills?

Thanks for your "interest", Tom...but I think we need an ownership group/ owner who loves the team, loves the City, and wants to win a Super Bowl.

"Breaking even" doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me.

maybe he does....

It would just be kind of a tragedy for him to receive all the criticism and hatred while he is alive.... then passes..... and when all the layers are peeled away we find out that he has basically gifted us the team in place for the foreseeable future.

This is the very reason people should calm down about Mr. Wilson. We can be critical of his ownership at times for good reason. However, when it comes to the future of the Bills we have to think reasonably. The Bills are his legacy. The Buffalo Bills that is. The man named a stadium after himself so he seems to care about that. He is also a successful businessman in general. Put those two things together and I think we wouldn't be wrong to assume that man has a plan of what will come of his businesses, including the Bills. The Bills in Buffalo means Mr. Wilson's name lives on forever. He's not going to detail what his plans are because he doesn't have to. Also because public knowledge could cause something to get off track for whatever reason. I wouldn't worry about the Bills moving anywhere.

Give him his gratitude now for bringing a team to B-Lo and keeping it there when he could have moved them years ago. Hasn't always been a perfect product. Been a lot of angst, a lot of heartbreak and some great thrills too. There has been success and there will be again. Mr. Wilson knows what that team means to WNY and what WNY means to that organization.

But think about this: the Bills have existed since my father was in fourth grade. He turns 60 in June. Mr. Wilson is still the owner. That is crazy!

Edited by purple haze

I doubt the Bills have lost a dime in any given year in the past decade.

for the umpteenth time Kelly has stated numerous times emphatically that money is not the issue.

And, if money is not the issue, and Kelly is putting the group together, IS there an issue?

Now, if one wants to disbelieve Jimbo - one can. But if you believe him, then one has to think about under what circumstances that Jim would head up a group of investors

that would allow for the team to leave Buffalo.

I, myself, cannot think of the circumstances.

So, I conclude the Bills are not going anywhere.

Amen!!!

:worthy: JIMBO

This is the very reason people should calm down about Mr. Wilson. We can be critical of his ownership at times for good reason. However, when it comes to the future of the Bills we have to think reasonably. The Bills are his legacy. The Buffalo Bills that is. The man named a stadium after himself so he seems to care about that. He is also a successful businessman in general. Put those two things together and I think we wouldn't be wrong to assume that man has a plan of what will come of his businesses, including the Bills. The Bills in Buffalo means Mr. Wilson's name lives on forever. He's not going to detail what his plans are because he doesn't have to. Also because public knowledge could cause something to get off track for whatever reason. I wouldn't worry about the Bills moving anywhere.

Give him his gratitude now for bringing a team to B-Lo and keeping it there when he could have moved them years ago. Hasn't always been a perfect product. Been a lot of angst, a lot of heartbreak and some great thrills too. There has been success and there will be again. Mr. Wilson knows what that team means to WNY and what WNY means to that organization.

But think about this: the Bills have existed since my father was in fourth grade. He turns 60 in June. Mr. Wilson is still the owner. That is crazy!

I agree. It's so easy for us to criticise Old Ralphie when none of us even know what's going through that old mans head. You are on the money when you say the Bills are his LEGACY. I to think he would want that live on in WNY...

If the team was ever to move though, I wouldn't be a fan of another team. Keep the name in B-Lo just like the Browns did.

:beer: ON THAT NOTE, I WILL DRINK TO THAT.

Golisano stated that if the Bills go up for sale and there is a doubt that the team would stay in Buffalo, he would be very interested in being part of a package to keep them in Buffalo. This is fantastic news, and the first time I have heard anything concrete. What do you think?

He said "The more concerned I am about them possibly leaving, I think the more interested I would become".

If this guy wasn't considered Buffalo's knight in shining armor, I think he may have just become that...he has plenty of dollar signs to back that statement up as well...

Wouldn't it be something if Golisano and Pegula teamed up to keep the Bills in Buffalo(Pegula CAN do that since he owns another sports team in the same city)? They would put an estimated Net Worth of 6 BILLION behind the Bills, which would put us in pretty good company of the big boys...

Actually with a little research, that ownership would make the Bills the second RICHEST team owners in the NFL behind Paul Allen(16.8 Billion), well ahead of 3rd place Malcolm Glazer(2.5 Billion)

Edited by matter2003

Actually with a little research, that ownership would make the Bills the second RICHEST team owners in the NFL behind Paul Allen(16.8 Billion), well ahead of 3rd place Malcolm Glazer(2.5 Billion)

There have been numerous stories about the Glazer family and their troubled ownership of Manchester United. These stories have often been accompanied by references to possible financial difficulties that the family may be having. From the way that they've run the Buccaneers, it would certainly seem that if they're not having financial troubles that they are bottom line type owners…more interested in profit than championships. And that's their prerogative but it also sucks if you're a fan of their team.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The writer of this headline on si.com needs to have better reading comprehension skills:

In case they change it it says New Owner Terry Pegula wanted to move Sabres

This guy focused on the wrong part of the story. Yes, Golisano put a no-move clause in the contract but I don't believe Pegula was looking for a move. That said, Tommy would not be much of a business man if he knew Pegula could flip the Sabres the next day for a quick $70M profit. That's why he put that in the contract.

PTR

Meh, another article about the dangers of Fracking - I think we all know there are issues with the business (though, I wouldn't see any if I sold my company for $4.7 billion). Not sure what that has to do with the guys love of hockey. Also, he's from the area, not Florida. And am I supposed to be shocked that a billionaire gave hundreds of thousands to the Republicans? Nope...

Let's give the guy a chance before poo-pooing his ownership of the Sabres...

As for the Bills, I too am interested in keeping there here - anyone (other than Pegula), have about a billion I can borrow?

Pegula's stance and profiteering of of fracking mat well say a bit about his attitude toward the broader community and this may well be relevant to how he manages the Sabres.

One can have whatever opinion one chooses to have about the modern process of hydrofracking (yes, I know we have performed versions of it for as much as 50 years, but even its most ardent proponents have to acknowledge that the way the technology and process are done today are functionally vastly different than what was done historically. If one refuses to acknowledge this then one has to believe that the gas industry could have done this for decades because the technology is old but simply chose to pass on reaping the profits for some reason.

Instead the manner in which Pegula pursued hydrofracking to generate huge profits speaks volumes about how he was willing to take risks to do this investment but actually do this in a manner that allowed him to get huge profits but really lay the risk and uncertainty off on taxpayers.

What does this mean for the Sabres. We simply have to wait and see. However, careful watch reasonably should be taken by fans to judge whether he is a legend in his own mind (as is often the case for those willing to gain huge profit while passing off risk and uncertainty to the taxpayer or potentially having used his campaign donations to the GOP to gain this low risk high reward scenario with taxpayers really taking on the risk he now feels a need to give back to the public he took advantage of,

How he handled the uncetainties of fracking says a lot about how he might deal with spending to win,

i do believe Tom would step in to buy the team if there was a concern that the franchise would move.

it's one of the reasons i said on 'GR a few months back that i'm more confident of the team staying than going. ... and after my interview with Phil Lind in November, i'm more confident that the team stays in western new york. during the 'GR interview i think i said 65-35 the team stays in the region (including Toronto). i'd say that it's about 65-35 maybe even 70-30 that the team doesn't leave WNY.

jw

If he's the only option to keep the Bills in Buffalo then yes, but the press conference showed he cared only about the bottom line and not winning. His most telling quote when he told Quinn and Regier to " try to break even".

I agree. It's so easy for us to criticise Old Ralphie when none of us even know what's going through that old mans head. You are on the money when you say the Bills are his LEGACY. I to think he would want that live on in WNY... If the team was ever to move though, I wouldn't be a fan of another team. Keep the name in B-Lo just like the Browns did.

:beer: ON THAT NOTE, I WILL DRINK TO THAT.

His legacy may live in WNY (certainly he doesn't)---but if he was so concerned aboout that, he wouldn't have let his team (legacy) slip into such a sorry state since the glory years of the SB string.

There have been numerous stories about the Glazer family and their troubled ownership of Manchester United. These stories have often been accompanied by references to possible financial difficulties that the family may be having. From the way that they've run the Buccaneers, it would certainly seem that if they're not having financial troubles that they are bottom line type owners…more interested in profit than championships. And that's their prerogative but it also sucks if you're a fan of their team.

Really?? Take another look at the Bucs--they are a young, talented team on the rise. You must be thinking of a different owner...("more interested in profit than championships").

Golisano Pro's & Cons:

Pro- it's nice to know that if no one else steps forward to keep the team in Buffalo, that Golisano will. Golisano deserves huge credit for keeping the Sabres in Buffalo. At that time the Sabres were in serious financial troubles and at risk for leaving. This doesn't seem to be getting said enough, but Golisano's relocation to Florida is all about his anger with N.Y. State politicians and the amount of individual state income tax.

Con- assuming he runs the Bills the same way he ran the Sabres, my biggest concern is that he only spends to 90% of the "cap". The NHL salary cap for 2010-2011 is $59.4 million. that leaves $6 million unspent on a quality player. i have no problem with his mantra to quinn & darcy to "at least break even"....but to improve their chances of winning a championship you need to spend to the cap. so that would mean increased ticket prices, which this community would and could support to put a winner on the ice.

His legacy may live in WNY (certainly he doesn't)---but if he was so concerned aboout that, he wouldn't have let his team (legacy) slip into such a sorry state since the glory years of the SB string.

Really?? Take another look at the Bucs--they are a young, talented team on the rise. You must be thinking of a different owner...("more interested in profit than championships").

In the past, the Glazers have been much more interested in profit. We'll see how they deal with this offseason. The Buccs have a nice core of young talent in place, mainly through the draft, but also have a fair amount of free agents that will need to be re-signed. People were livid down here the last few years of the Gruden regime because the Glazers were reluctant to open their wallets.

i do believe Tom would step in to buy the team if there was a concern that the franchise would move.

it's one of the reasons i said on 'GR a few months back that i'm more confident of the team staying than going. ... and after my interview with Phil Lind in November, i'm more confident that the team stays in western new york. during the 'GR interview i think i said 65-35 the team stays in the region (including Toronto). i'd say that it's about 65-35 maybe even 70-30 that the team doesn't leave WNY.

jw

Do you have a link to your interview with Phil Lind? I'd like to read that.

A little interesting tidbit from a Toronto article I didn't see elsewhere (that's not saying it didn't exist)...

Meanwhile, Golisano becomes the first owner of either of the two major sports teams in Buffalo to willingly sell. Ralph Wilson, the original owner, still has the Bills, and in hockey the Knox brothers, the original owners, both died before the Sabres were sold to the Rigas family, under whom the team was forced into bankruptcy and was taken over by the National Hockey League.

Knowing Mr Golisano's ownership style (it's all a business transaction only), this would result in 2 things (1) the Bills stay and (2) the Bills suck. Said, it begs the question - if you know the Bills will be perennial jokes (3 wins give or take a season), would you rather have them stay and suffer failure or let them leave? Personally, I do not think the NFL would support a Golisano purchase as the competition committee would nix it....