Scouts critical of Bills coaching at Senior Bowl

NY Nole

FWIW - I have been following various blogs, stories etc coming out of Mobile this week and found it odd that almost every one of them included some snippet about how disappointing the South practices were run by the Bills coaching staff. Apparently, Chan and the boys have had the South squad spending more time on special teams than anything else. Several writers commented about the pace of practice on the North squad as being much more physical and "scoutable" than the South. Here's an excerpt from Scout.com -- one of the blogs that routinely criticized the Bills coaching job.

Apparently Chan Gailey decided that since the Buffalo Bills can't scout players worth a crap, no one else will either. That is the only way to explain why the South Team spent exactly 82.1 percent of the available practice time walking through special teams drills, giving the other scouts in attendance the chance to uncover the next Matt Dodge.

Gailey's practice also included a game clock that counted down as the practice went on. It remains unclear what the clock was used for, but a sticker on top read, “The Ryan Fitzpatrick era.” That's not to imply Gailey is in the market for a quarterback, but after watching the South Team QBs struggle on Wednesday, he sent out a Tweet asking God, “I praise you 24/7!!! And this is how you do me!!! You expect me to learn from this??? How??? I'll never forget this!! Ever!! Tnx Tho.”

Well, it's probably worth remembering that the Bills' coaches embarassed the Bengals' coaches during regular season play - the Bills were more prepared, their coaches made better halftime adjustments, and our players were better conditioned (as evidenced by the Bengals' epic collapse in the second half). So perhaps this "scout" needs to go back to school himself...

Here's an excerpt from Scout.com -- one of the blogs that routinely criticized the Bills coaching job.

That was written by Michael Lombardo who's covered the Chargers since 2003 and owns/operates a fanzine called www.sdboltreport.com

Sort of a TSW know-it-all (come back, Tyler, we miss you) with a nice server...

FWIW - I have been following various blogs, stories etc coming out of Mobile this week and found it odd that almost every one of them included some snippet about how disappointing the South practices were run by the Bills coaching staff. Apparently, Chan and the boys have had the South squad spending more time on special teams than anything else. Several writers commented about the pace of practice on the North squad as being much more physical and "scoutable" than the South. Here's an excerpt from Scout.com -- one of the blogs that routinely criticized the Bills coaching job.

It's more than obvious this is a crock of a story and seeing the tweet came from Johnson when he dropped the ball. Chan knows what he's doing and I find it funny he is doing his own thing. Forget the scouts and what they say. I can care less about that game anyways because we see what we see and the coaches and and gm's and scouts see another. This will continue all the way through the draft, and then we will be picked on again when we draft who we draft and not what every one wants us to draft. If we all listen to the critics, most say go with the best player until you pick someone they don't want you to get, then they say well the Bills needed this and picked that. Who cares, and "don't tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby". That's the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

It's true. Even the NFL Network guys (or at least Mayock) were cursing under their breath because Chan was so far behind the North's coaches in getting his guys ready. We'll see tomorrow. I'd bet on the North.

Well, we beat the same coaching staff, with our offense scoring 49 points, when it counted so I, along with Chan, will likely not lose any sleep if they beat us in an exhibition game.

Sounds like that guy is a typical media JACK ASS :thumbdown: that like most media members have a hard on for any thing they can bash any thing even remotely related to the Bills for !!!

That's why i hope this year and further that Chan & Buddy get the Bills back on track so the Bills can shove all those words down their throats and make them choke on them :nana: !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's probably worth remembering that the Bills' coaches embarassed the Bengals' coaches during regular season play - the Bills were more prepared, their coaches made better halftime adjustments, and our players were better conditioned (as evidenced by the Bengals' epic collapse in the second half). So perhaps this "scout" needs to go back to school himself...

It didn't hurt that Cincy lost their two starting safeties either as our passing game was awful prior to that

It's true. Even the NFL Network guys (or at least Mayock) were cursing under their breath because Chan was so far behind the North's coaches in getting his guys ready. We'll see tomorrow. I'd bet on the North.

When Specifically do you hear this? I have the practices and the daily run down DVR'd I haven't gotten a whiff of this.

This is just more Buffalo Bills self loathing and PTSD.

I've been watching the practices and recaps, and this is a complete and utter lie.

That's the worst write up ever and poor attempt at humor. From what I saw the bills staff ran plenty of one on one drills and full on plays.

"I'd bet on the north." Is there even a line for the senior bowl? Too funny.

I thought the blog was ridiculous and don't care what they guys has to say, but I think people are defending Chan for the wrong reasons.

Who's most prepared and wins the game doesn't matter at all. The whole point of the senior bowl is for scouting...that's it. Sure, it's a nice cherry on top to win the game, but scouting is by far the number one priority. I haven't watched any of the practices, but I have read the same things being said on other blogs (Draftcoundown.com I remember).

If what they are saying is true, he's not really helping those kids out quite as much as he should be. But again, I can't say one way or the other.

When Specifically do you hear this? I have the practices and the daily run down DVR'd I haven't gotten a whiff of this.

Yeah, what he said! I've been watching NFLN all week and haven't heard anything bad about Chan and crew at all o_O

Don't worry guys. Chan is just being smart and playing some rope-a-dope. Remember, this is the only football game of the year where a television network can record your practices all week. I think it's safe to say that Chan is being smart and keeping some things in the bag until gameday. Meanwhile, I'm sure he has all the assistant coaches staying up 24 hours painstakingly poring over the North's televised practice sessions looking for advantages.

It's a chess match guys, and Chan is about to call checkmate on Lewis.

Scout.com is obviously written by hacks that try to be stand-up comedians. Let's watch the game before we believe this crap. If the North kicks the South's asses then I'll believe that Gailey ran lousy practices. This is what we get with all of this 24/7 blogging and texting. A bunch of amateur "writers" always thinking they can have the funniest lines and best "scoops" when there is absolutely nothing to "scoop" that minute. :thumbdown:

Sometimes I long for the days when Bryant Gumbell used to report on the AFC and Brent Mussberger used to report on the NFC, and that was about it!!! :thumbsup:

The difference in practices is obvious if you have been watching both North and South. Gaily and gang are "coaching" and Lewis's group is "drilling." The Bills coaches are taking care of the players education vs. displaying the players skills or lack of. As for winning and losing, the talent is not equal, IMHO the North has more talent.

Where are those bloggers now??

Oh well. How much did you lose?

PTR

Who's most prepared and wins the game doesn't matter at all. The whole point of the senior bowl is for scouting...that's it. Sure, it's a nice cherry on top to win the game, but scouting is by far the number one priority. I haven't watched any of the practices, but I have read the same things being said on other blogs (Draftcoundown.com I remember).

From what U have seen of the NFL and the draft if in fact what this is all about is scouting then Gailey is doing exactly the right thing. Scouting is all about determining how/if a player is going to help your team.

How are virtually all the drafted players going to be used to help their team next year.

Special teams.

Only slightly over half of the players drafted in the first round are going to be starters on the team's depth charts at the end of the rookie year. The numbers drop precipitously after that.

The major determining factor of whether a player makes the roster is going to be ST play. In fact, if I was a Senior Bowl player and had a choice between whether I was on the South squad which walked me through professional team ST drills so when I hit the practice field for the team which drafted me I looked like I knew what I was doing and could concentrate on my showing my skill rather than figuring out whether I am in the correct position for an NFL drill, I would much prefer this to being on a North squad which ran through position player drills I had done before.

If Gailey is drilling his charges on ST play he is showing the braintrusts of other teams exactly what they want to see to make judgments on who to keep. If he is focusing in ST he is drilling the players on exactly what most of them need to make NFL rosters.

He is not however helping the pundits who sell magazines or use lots of hairspray on TV get info that they trade in.

This is my guess on why Scouts Inc. or other bloggers may be pissed.