Dan Orlovsky: Bills offensive weapons are top five in the AFC, too many are sleeping on this team

Logic

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

The 4 of them are very good backs.  I'd take Cook over them, but we'll see.

Archane is every bit as explosive.  Averaged almost 8 ypc last year.  

Archane is a weapon yet with his small size he's also a guy that can get injured and miss time as we saw last season. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

More Bills positivity this morning:

I like how Chargers dummy laughs at the idea of our defense being healthier, and then cites losing Hyde, Poyer, and White, our 3 oldest/most injured defensive players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

All Josh has to do is wait for one of his many receivers to open.

Is that too optimistic of a statement for 2024? I don't think so.

It's better than the early 2023 game plan of: All Josh has to do is wait for Diggs to get open.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He says, "Top 5 in AFC".
In the entire NFL, it's top 10.
Last year KC had the 9th or 10th ranked offense.
If the defense is in first or second place, that's fine.
But if it was about 5th, I would be worried.

Well PFF gave Beane's offseason a C+. All things considered I give it a B+.

I like what appears to be the plan on O. With Davis and their attention to the O-line the ground game should improve and help set up the pass, and of course we will remain a passing team, including out of the backfield.

I think they have the players to make it work. I could do with an upgrade to MVS but pickings are slim. He's a burner all right, but with the hands of a statue...plunk...plunk ...plunk...even though he only plays with Hall worthy QBs

A big burden falls on this coaching staff. My hope is that by playoff time it has all come together and started to work as intended. I think there is reason for some optimism, bearing in mind that all we are discussing here is offensive weapons. We also have one of the two top players in the game on that side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

To be honest, I'm not all that concerned about the offense, even without a stud #1 WR.

This team will go as far as the defense will allow it. I'm really concerned about our pass rush—we're going nowhere if they don't figure that out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I don't know.  We don't have Steve Diggs anymore and he was him...like the best player on the team.  Josh Allen might turn around and run the wrong way this year he will be so lost without Ol' Steve Diggs.

***** is Steve Diggs?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Orlovsky is typically higher on the Bills than most. We love it and it's a smart move because Josh will find a way to make his weapons work, which will prove Orlovsky right more often than not.

I still think we could benefit from a few more weapons on Offense, but it might come in the form of another stud LG in the offseason or another boundary receiver. I'm happy with this year, but even more excited when we carry the same players into next year and add a bit more.

Agreed.  

I think the waters will be a little clearer next year, allowing Beane to make some focused additions.  While there's some uncertainty on the OL, I'm thinking especially of the WR room.  Who will step up?  Who won't?  Do we actually need another starting caliber wideout?  

And this will be the first year to truly see Brady's offense in action.  That might also help clarify 2025 needs.  

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like how Chargers dummy laughs at the idea of our defense being healthier, and then cites losing Hyde, Poyer, and White, our 3 oldest/most injured defensive players.

That's why I've come to appreciate Mina Kimes.  Like she said...she watches the games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Top 5 in the AFC is not that impressive lol. 

Basically Orlovsky is saying that by the divisional round, we will likely have the worst weapons of the remaining teams. 

Cool bar I guess?

1 hour ago, eball said:

Multiple good options > one stud and little else

When we had “one stud and little else,” do you mean when we had Gabe Davis, Khalil Shakir, Dalton Kincaid and James Cook?

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I don't know.  We don't have Steve Diggs anymore and he was him...like the best player on the team.  Josh Allen might turn around and run the wrong way this year he will be so lost without Ol' Steve Diggs.

STONE COLD STEVE DIGGS

HEL YAH BROTHR

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

Also no one seems to talk about how Miami's track team folded at the end of the year and in bad weather.   The additions to the roster were also made with late season and playoff time in mind - big physical receivers, and multiple options coming from everywhere so that a single weapon or two can't just be easily neutralized (more easily in bad weather)

For as great Miamis weapons are you take away the fade skinny post and deep over what do they got?  Sure they are a handful but pretty predictable if McDaniel wont commit to the run.   

Posted (edited)

I sincerely look forward to that point in the season all of the clowns out there that said " Allen is only good because Diggs in on the team and carries him" to all of a sudden start saying "Allen is only good because he has so many weapons around him and it's only because of all the help he has that he's any good".  I sincerely hope this happens because it will be hysterical. 

Look, I don't know if this committee strategy on offense is going to work or not and help us get that elusive Super Bow win, but regardless, I fully expect Allen to make chicken salad out of whatever ingredients he is given because he's just that good.  He's carried this offense on his back ever since he's been here and I expect this year to be no different.  It may look a lot different, but because Allen is that dude, he will will this team to have success on offense even if he ends up doing even more of it on his own.  Many don't remember that they neutered him early in the season last year and told him not to run.  It wasn't until they realized at 6-6 that Allen and his legs are what make him special and different that everyone else.  They let him loose and all of a sudden, everything opened back up.  If they let Josh be Josh from game one on this season, if the pieces on offense can just help him out a little bit, he could have a career year if everything works as they are hoping it does.  If the committee approach doesn't go well, I fully expect us to be heading into next year's draft again looking for WR1.

PS.  I get a kick out of all the comments saying how much worse we are going to be on defense as well because we lost Tre, Hyde, Poyer, etc.  The don't realize that Tre has missed way more games the last 2 years than he's played and Hyde and Poyer, while very smart players, had lost probably more than a step and just couldn't run anymore.  They have no idea who TB is and just how much he's solidified the MLB position/  Not to mention, we hope that Milano is 100% ready to go after missing most of the season last year and he's one of the best off ball LBs in the league.  If there is a side of the ball I'm not worried about overall during the regular season next year, it's the defense if we can stay healthy.  Now, late game situations/playoffs, that's a different story because McDermott hasn't proven he can be trusted in this situations on defense.  But if we can stay healthy, and of course that is a big if, I think we'll have a top 10 defense yet again this season.

Edited by sven233

Posted (edited)

I've pretty much said the same thing...it's going to be a pick your poison setup for the D.  You want to take the deep balls away. Cool we will attack you underneath with Samuel, Shakir and Kincaid with some Cook sprinkled in.  You want to take the short stuff away?  Cool, Allen will just play backyard ball and throw it over your head when your defenders look silly trying to get him in the backfield. You want to try and shut down the middle of the field? Cool, we will just run sweeps and throw to the outside.  You want to try and come after Allen?  Cool, we will just run draws up the middle with Cook and throw quick hitters to the WR's outside.

Anything you want to do, we can do what you can't defend.  This offense is going to be extremely fun to watch IMO. They have completely diversified the skillsets on it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1