Dan Orlovsky: Bills offensive weapons are top five in the AFC, too many are sleeping on this team

Logic

I figured I'd give this its own thread, because this board could use a little hit of positivity going into the weekend. I've been as loud a critic of the Bills' offensive moves as anyone this offseason, so allow me to share a contrary opinion:

• Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 13

Posted (edited)

Not a crazy take at all. Our group is no where near as bad as people are making it out to be. Well rounded and deep with speed, size, and a potentially elite TE. 

Miami and Houston are clearly at the top but I would take our skill position players over Baltimore and maybe even Cincinnati and NYJ. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Thanks for posting this! I’d probably add Ray Davis to the mix as well - it’s pretty fair to expect a 4th round RB to be a plus player as a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cash said:

Thanks for posting this! I’d probably add Ray Davis to the mix as well - it’s pretty fair to expect a 4th round RB to be a plus player as a rookie. 

Absolutely. 

I'm higher on Davis than many might find reasonable for a 4th round running back.

He seems to have a three-down skillset, a killer's mentality, and the experience level and age to hit the ground running right away. I don't think "oh, he may be good in a year or two". I think he's ready to be good NOW, and I think he's gonna challenge Cook for snaps more and more as the year goes on. I said before that it won't surprise me if he ultimately becomes a co-starter with Cook or winds up with the lion's share of the snaps by year's end.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Absolutely. 

I'm higher on Davis than many might find reasonable for a 4th round running back.

He seems to have a three-down skillset, a killer's mentality, and the experience level and age to hit the ground running right away. I don't think "oh, he may be good in a year or two". I think he's ready to be good NOW, and I think he's gonna challenge Cook for snaps more and more as the year goes on. I said before that it won't surprise me if he ultimately becomes a co-starter with Cook or winds up with the lion's share of the snaps by year's end.

I like that he is a bigger back that may get yards after initial contact.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

For what it's worth (probably not much): My personal opinion is that the Bills would be JUST on the outside looking in of the "top five in the AFC" discussion.

In no particular order, I'd list the Texans, Chiefs, Dolphins, Bengals, Titans, and arguably the Jaguars as having better weapons than the Bills. So I'd probably have the Bills sixth or seventh. A big jump from Kincaid and Shakir could change that, but that's where I'd have it now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Logic said:

For what it's worth (probably not much): My personal opinion is that the Bills would be JUST on the outside looking in of the "top five in the AFC" discussion.

In no particular order, I'd list the Texans, Chiefs, Dolphins, Bengals, Titans, and arguably the Jaguars as having better weapons than the Bills. So I'd probably have the Bills sixth or seventh. A big jump from Kincaid and Shakir could change that, but that's where I'd have it now.

Per the bolded: 

THE TITANS?! Dude, they have Will Levis at QB a 32 year old Hopkins and Ridley that disappeared in many games last year. Better weapons than the Bills? 

Jags?! Who on their team would you take over who we have on our team at any skill position? 

Texans: I can understand this but they had the worst schedule in the league last year and they don't this year. It will be a telling year for them. 

It's so odd to me that your sentiment would be SO different if we drafted a guy that looks like this instead of Coleman (and yes, you wouldn't be as critical at ALL if we drafted this twig) : 

Xavier-Worthy-1-.jpg

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo has the best back 2nd best TE on the list.  Sure, they dont have Hill, Waddle, Higgins or Chase but beyond them who are those teams weapons? 

Archane and Mostert in Miami and the league is going to get introduced to Chase Brown in Cinci this year. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Process said:

Not a crazy take at all. Our group is no where near as bad as people are making it out to be. Well rounded and deep with speed, size, and a potentially elite TE. 

Miami and Houston are clearly at the top but I would take our skill position players over Baltimore and maybe even Cincinnati and NYJ. 

I agree with you as the problem is as a group outside of Kincaid none of them would be definite as elite and/or great as individuals so some fail to see it. I mean look at the Ravens, I think most would agree that we don't have anyone near as good as Andrews but beyond Andrews would say the rest of ours are better then the rest of theres. I realize some will debate Andrews and Zay Flowers are better than what we have at #1 TE and #1WR but again past that think our overall group simply better or as a famous philosopher said years ago the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. 

Edited by The Jokeman

12 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Per the bolded: 

THE TITANS?! Dude, they have Will Levis at QB a 32 year old Hopkins and Ridley that disappeared in many games last year. Better weapons than the Bills? 
Leave QB out of it, as we're talking about offensive weapons. Calvin Ridley and Hopkins BOTH had 1,000 yards receiving last season. No Bills WR has ever had a 1,000 yard season. Tyler Boyd is also a good slot receiver. 

Jags?! Who on their team would you take over who we have on our team at any skill position? 
Christian Kirk was hurt last year, but prior to that, he posted 1100 yards and 8 TDs. Again, no Bills WR has ever posted a 1,000 yard season. I'd happily take Kirk and Thomas as a top two over Samuel and Coleman. 

Texans: I can understand this but they had the worst schedule in the league last year and they don't this year. It will be a telling year for them. This one is indisputable to me. Collins/Dell/Diggs > Samuel/Coleman/Shakir

It's so odd to me that your sentiment would be SO different if we drafted a guy that looks like this instead of Coleman (and yes, you wouldn't be as critical at ALL if we drafted this twig) : 

Xavier-Worthy-1-.jpg

My responses in bold.

It's not as if I said the Bills skill players are dog poop or anything. I said I'd rank them about sixth in the AFC, and listed who I'd rank ahead of them. YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

I don't know.  We don't have Steve Diggs anymore and he was him...like the best player on the team.  Josh Allen might turn around and run the wrong way this year he will be so lost without Ol' Steve Diggs.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

Orlovsky is typically higher on the Bills than most. We love it and it's a smart move because Josh will find a way to make his weapons work, which will prove Orlovsky right more often than not.

I still think we could benefit from a few more weapons on Offense, but it might come in the form of another stud LG in the offseason or another boundary receiver. I'm happy with this year, but even more excited when we carry the same players into next year and add a bit more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PonyBoy said:

I referred to Josh as our point guard in a couple of posts after the Diggs trade. Orlovski stole my metaphor.

Can I have an atta boy here? 😀

High Five Parks And Rec GIF

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Archane and Mostert in Miami and the league is going to get introduced to Chase Brown in Cinci this year. 

Cook is still better than all 3.  Kincaid and Knox are TE 2 and 3.   

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Logic said:

My responses in bold.

It's not as if I said the Bills skill players are dog poop or anything. I said I'd rank them about sixth in the AFC, and listed who I'd rank ahead of them. YMMV.

I'm amazed by how many fans don't want to acknowledge the concept of quantity (multiple "good" players) over quality (a true WR1) when you have an all-world QB who can distribute the ball.

It puts SO much more pressure on the defense when they can't just try to take away one strength.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7