What will happen with Knox?

36 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

His contract will become more of a TE 2's as he continues to get passed by new contracts and his next one will likely be more in terms of him being TE 2 on the team. I mean teams have more than 1 TE it's not a new thing especially since their contracts haven't hit the levels of WRs yet I don't think.

The TE salaries plateaued, only like 5 TEs get paid and the it drops off drasticially, like the skill level at the position.

5 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

How is Knox at blocking?

Considerably better than Kincaid. He fills a necessary role here. Kincaid did improve as a blocker last season, but he was still a below average blocker. He wasn’t the disaster he was in college so his growth is certainly encouraging. If he gets to average, then Knox becomes much more expendable. As of now I’d be very concerned having Kincaid and Cook in with 11 personnel as neither are good in pass pro. 

Part of Knox’s 2026 salary is guaranteed so he is likely here through then, though a trade next offseason is possible. His last season under contract is 2027, but the Bills could easily move on from him that offseason.

15 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would prefer to try to draft a TE Day 2 next year who can take over as TE2 in 2026..

You can do that and keep Knox, in fact that would make far more sense as the guy you take is going to be in the middle rounds probably so on a cheap rookie deal ideal to develop at TE3 behind Kincaid and Knox. Why would you leave the TE2 spot completely open in the hopes that you get a guy who can fill it when you can still have a guy and develop his possible replacement?

• Like (+1) 1

My crystal ball says he'll play a lot as the blocking TE where Kincaid will be lined up everywhere as a receiver.

I think you'll see a lot of three receiver sets with Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir and Coleman splitting the majority of those reps while Knox helps keep Josh upright.

• Like (+1) 4

We're not going to get value on a trade. You simply try to maximize his production this season to equate to a #5 receiver. Especially in the redzone.  Then on June 2nd, 2025 I'm saying goodbye, along with Von.  It was an exorbitant and premature extension primarily based on his relationship with 17.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chas56 said:

I like Knox and have been a fan; however, I also acknowledge that Kincaid is the better player. Knox has a large contract to be a #2 TE. In addition, there are only so many balls to go around. I don't know if Brady is designing some diabolical two TE sets or whatever. Also, I'm aware that Knox and Allen have a good relationship. I just have a suspicion that something like a trade is going to happen. Am I nuts?

Knox does not have a large contract and 2TE sets usage was at its highest last year since 2016.

Bills were among the leaders in 2TE sets, even with Brady. Know isn’t and shouldn’t go anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s hard to project because the offense will be different. Brady was playing him around 45% last year. 

Definitely hard to project.  I just think that 12 will be part of our identity.  50% or so is my prediction 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chas56 said:

I like Knox and have been a fan; however, I also acknowledge that Kincaid is the better player. Knox has a large contract to be a #2 TE. In addition, there are only so many balls to go around. I don't know if Brady is designing some diabolical two TE sets or whatever. Also, I'm aware that Knox and Allen have a good relationship. I just have a suspicion that something like a trade is going to happen. Am I 

Knox is history 

12 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Some Bills fans act like it’s bad to have more than one player capable of starting anywhere on the roster. Injuries happen. When Knox was out we missed him. Keep as many good players as you possibly can 

I generally agree, and it's not my money. It just seems like he is a player that could be TE1 on about half the teams out there, and the Bills could use a different player at a more useful position, like Safety. It would just seem some team would take him. It is, however, useful depth, as you say.

I think the fans worry too much about his paycheck and that leads to a lot of pondering on what his future is from the fans.

But here's the thing, he has completely different skill set than Kincaid and it happens to be one that the team values. And he had the same skills when Kincaid was drafted. He's going to be here at least 2 more years IMO and probably longer.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

It should be obvious, but Kincaid is more of a hybrid TE right now.  Not the best blocker for that position, but better than a slot WR.

Knox is athletic too, but not a natural route runner/as smooth as Kincaid.  Knox is our best blocking TE, he's just had issues past few years between injuries and the tragic family incident.

Knox can be a 500-600 yard TE, but I think he's going to be in the 400-500 range this season.  

Our 12 personnel usage worked much better under Brady, Brady also knew when to abandon it and go 11 with Kincaid or Knox.  

Both guys are valuable, Kincaid will put up more glamorous stats and better player in general.  But Knox is a reliable blocker and solid RZ threat as well.

2025 will be the year Knoxs caphit is likely generating a negative ROI, but to this point it's been positive (when he's healthy)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chas56 said:

I like Knox and have been a fan; however, I also acknowledge that Kincaid is the better player. Knox has a large contract to be a #2 TE. In addition, there are only so many balls to go around. I don't know if Brady is designing some diabolical two TE sets or whatever. Also, I'm aware that Knox and Allen have a good relationship. I just have a suspicion that something like a trade is going to happen. Am I nuts?

I will buy Kincaid is a better receiver.  Blocking TE, I am not so sure.  I like having both around, and think they have a place.  I do think Knox contract is a little  rich, but, he will be around a while imho.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

You can do that and keep Knox, in fact that would make far more sense as the guy you take is going to be in the middle rounds probably so on a cheap rookie deal ideal to develop at TE3 behind Kincaid and Knox. Why would you leave the TE2 spot completely open in the hopes that you get a guy who can fill it when you can still have a guy and develop his possible replacement?

Why would I invest a Day 2 asset and keep paying Knox  ? Makes zero sense ..

Do it next year ,.. give  him a year to make sure he is up to it first … which he should be where you are picking him ..

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why would I invest a Day 2 asset and keep paying Knox  ? Makes zero sense ..

Do it next year ,.. give  him a year to make sure he is up to it first … which he should be where you are picking him ..

Because you keep 3 TEs on the game day roster and you're not paying the Day 2 pick much anyway, why are you creating a hole on your team and hoping you don't miss with a draft pick, when you could keep the guy and by the time you have to pay the rookie his next contract will probably be up anyway.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1