What will happen with Knox?

2 hours ago, Chas56 said:

I generally agree, and it's not my money. It just seems like he is a player that could be TE1 on about half the teams out there, and the Bills could use a different player at a more useful position, like Safety. It would just seem some team would take him. It is, however, useful depth, as you say.

But who is trading a good safety? It’s the same problem. Load up on talent wherever you can. Say Coleman, Shakir and Samuel all get hurt. Would you rather rely on Andy Isabella or Dawson Knox?

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

But still not over paid, his contract is fine. 

The reworked one is fine, the one he signed a couple years ago was not. 

There’s a reality that pass catchers will miss games and having some depth isn’t the worst. 

if prefer another viable wr but Knox is a good player 

There’s a reality that pass catchers will miss games and having some depth isn’t the worst. 

if prefer another viable wr but Knox is a good player 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Because you keep 3 TEs on the game day roster and you're not paying the Day 2 pick much anyway, why are you creating a hole on your team and hoping you don't miss with a draft pick, when you could keep the guy and by the time you have to pay the rookie his next contract will probably be up anyway.

They have Quinton Morris a UDFA as their current TE3… so I’m happy to have something similar … not a 3rd round pick … I have also said twice now that if you take him next year ,  you have a year to assess the draft pick first to make sure there are no Elam like outcomes before moving on from Knox

Edited by Aussie Joe

With the dearth of quality receivers on this roster, I sure hope the answer to the question of "what will happen with Knox?" is "he'll play a lot and be a productive target for Josh Allen".

To quote the inimitable Brandon Beane: "Let's don't forget we can throw it to tight ends and running backs, too". 

Just now, Logic said:

With the dearth of quality receivers on this roster, I sure hope the answer to the question of "what will happen with Knox?" is "he'll play a lot and be a productive target for Josh Allen".

The production wasn’t there last season… but let’s see how he goes this year … what’s the over under you think?

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I can see us running two TEs on 30-40% of our snaps. Especially in the end zone where Knox knows how to find openings very well. I'm expecting him to get 30-35 catches this season with 400-475 yards and 5-7 TDs which a pretty good season for a backup TE. 

I don’t think of him as a “back up”. I think of him as a different flavor. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

To quote the inimitable Brandon Beane: "Let's don't forget we can throw it to tight ends and running backs, too". 

Can't remember where I saw it but I think someone said with the players brought in it's looking like the Bills are planning on being way more effective in the Red Zone. That has been Knox's bread and butter before right?

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The production wasn’t there last season… but let’s see how he goes this year … what’s the over under you think?

Between his injury, Kincaid being integrated into the offense, and the change in OCs, I'm willing to give Knox the benefit of the doubt a bit, especially after he had put up back to back 500+ yard seasons.

His average receiving yardage over his five year career, including last year, is 393 yards per season. If you take out last season, which seemed like a bit of an anomaly, you get 445 yards per season. So split the difference between those and you get about 420 yards.

I think that, say, 300-400 yards and 5 TDs as the TE2 would be a reasonable expectation, and one that would certainly help the offense. Yes, Kincaid will eat into his targets and production, but then again, a lot of targets were vacated by Diggs and Davis, so it probably evens out.

I will leave it for other people to debate whether 300-400 yards and 5 TDs, quality blocking, and valuable depth are worth the money Knox is getting paid. I'm not really interested in that discussion. It's not my money, the guy already took a paycut, and the Bills are allocating relatively little to the position overall in 2024.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Between his injury, Kincaid being integrated into the offense, and the change in OCs, I'm willing to give Knox the benefit of the doubt a bit, especially after he had put up back to back 500+ yard seasons.

His average receiving yardage over his five year career, including last year, is 393 yards per season. If you take out last season, which seemed like a bit of an anomaly, you get 445 yards per season. So split the difference between those and you get about 420 yards.

I think that, say, 300-400 yards and 5 TDs as the TE2 would be a reasonable expectation, and one that would certainly help the offense. Yes, Kincaid will eat into his targets and production, but then again, a lot of targets were vacated by Diggs and Davis, so it probably evens out.

I will leave it for other people to debate whether 300-400 yards and 5 TDs, quality blocking, and valuable depth are worth the money Knox is getting paid. I'm not really interested in that discussion. It's not my money, the guy already took a paycut, and the Bills are allocating relatively little to the position overall in 2024.

Ok…I agree that seems like a reasonable expectation… Im sure others will have him down for more …. I would suggest closer to 300 than 400 considering you are using an average which was made up of years when he was the TE1..

It doesn’t matter what anyone here thinks ,,.it’s how long Beane thinks it’s worthwhile paying  ( even with the pay cut) for that level of production … he could still be a TE1 elsewhere … so perhaps it’s even in his best interests to move on rather than stay here in a diminished role 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Ok…I agree that seems like a reasonable expectation… Im sure others will have him down for more …. I would suggest closer to 300 than 400 considering you are using an average which was made up of years when he was the TE1..

It doesn’t matter what anyone here thinks ,,.it’s how long Beane thinks it’s worthwhile paying  ( even with the pay cut) for that level of production … he could still be a TE1 elsewhere … so perhaps it’s even in his best interests to move on rather than stay here in a diminished role 

It could very well be that Beane lets him, and his agent, test a trade before the start of next season.

Bottom line, I think Knox will want to stay in Buffalo and he will take a pay cut for a small added guarantee.  Less than this year.

He has to stay healthy and find a role that gets decent production for that to happen.  If not, he could be a June 1 cut or traded.

This is going to be a very important year for him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He won't be going anywhere this year after he reworked his deal.  

How much he plays this year IMHO will come down to how effective the OL is playing.  If the OL struggles to gel with the new pieces this year and takes a step back, they are going to need him on the field more for his blocking as Kincaid isn't bringing much to the table in that department.  If that is the case, I can see 50-55% of the snaps easily in his wheel house.  If the OL comes out strong, then I think he is more in the 35-45% snap range as I still do expect them to run quite a bit of 2 TE sets and do think Knox will see a lot of snaps on running downs still too.  

Whether he is here next year, well I honestly don't know the cap or contract scenario for next year since his reworked deal.  So hard for me to say how strong his future is past this season.  But I would be stunned if he was moved this year after reworking his deal.  

I sincerely hope he is more than blocker this season and gets some designed plays , and a look from Josh as a third fourth read as well. 

Dude can make some plays

I expect him to be a Bill for a good while yet :)

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It could very well be that Beane lets him, and his agent, test a trade before the start of next season.

Bottom line, I think Knox will want to stay in Buffalo and he will take a pay cut for a small added guarantee.  Less than this year.

He has to stay healthy and find a role that gets decent production for that to happen.  If not, he could be a June 1 cut or traded.

This is going to be a very important year for him.

Depends greatly on Brady

Having a "new" OC is always exciting for fans and players alike lol

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

I would hope he is an asset to Brady's new Offense/ Kincaid is a different animal. they wont be stealing reps from each other, basically at least

c'mon 12 sets 

lets beat them up early in the game

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I sincerely hope he is more than blocker this season and gets some designed plays , and a look from Josh as a third fourth read as well. 

Dude can make some plays

I expect him to be a Bill for a good while yet :)

Depends greatly on Brady

Having a "new" OC is always exciting for fans and players alike lol

He is going to need to catch TDs in the red zone and be a final dump off choice for Josh when scrambling.

Knox has to produce when given the chance.  If he doesn't.........................

• Like (+1) 1