What will happen with Knox?

I like Knox and have been a fan; however, I also acknowledge that Kincaid is the better player. Knox has a large contract to be a #2 TE. In addition, there are only so many balls to go around. I don't know if Brady is designing some diabolical two TE sets or whatever. Also, I'm aware that Knox and Allen have a good relationship. I just have a suspicion that something like a trade is going to happen. Am I nuts?

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Chas56 said:

I like Knox and have been a fan; however, I also acknowledge that Kincaid is the better player. Knox has a large contract to be a #2 TE. In addition, there are only so many balls to go around. I don't know if Brady is designing some diabolical two TE sets or whatever. Also, I'm aware that Knox and Allen have a good relationship. I just have a suspicion that something like a trade is going to happen. Am I nuts?

I can see us running two TEs on 30-40% of our snaps. Especially in the end zone where Knox knows how to find openings very well. I'm expecting him to get 30-35 catches this season with 400-475 yards and 5-7 TDs which a pretty good season for a backup TE. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 7

His contract will become more of a TE 2's as he continues to get passed by new contracts and his next one will likely be more in terms of him being TE 2 on the team. I mean teams have more than 1 TE it's not a new thing especially since their contracts haven't hit the levels of WRs yet I don't think.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think he’ll be a backup TE and play around 40 % of the snaps.

I’m with this, but I think it could be 45-55% of the snaps.  His new contract all but guarantees him to be a bill this year and next. I think 12 personnel will be used more than some would like/prefer.  

• Like (+1) 2

The contract we gave him is going to make any trade difficult. Knox has a 7.7mm active cap hit for the coming season and if we trade him we'll incur 17mm in dead cap (the date of the trade can spread that out over the next 2 seasons). 

Pre June 1st trade: 

2024 dead cap: 17.5mm

Post June 1st trade:

2024 dead cap: 5.0mm

2025 dead cap: 12.5mm

The other thing to consider with a trade is what would we get back? Knox just had the worst year of his career posting 22 catches for 186 yards and 2 TDs with 4 drops in 13 games. Saying he had a bad year is an understatement. I can't imagine we'd do better than a 5th rd pick. 

Given that he is not a lockerroom cancer (ala Diggs) and already restructured his contract this offseason to take a paycut, I think it's pretty clear we're going to stick with him this season. 

The best we can hope for is he improves on last season and can fix the drop issues. It's hard to believe he'll ever be worth that contract though 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

He reworked his deal and gave up some money … probably the trade off was Beane agreeing two more years ..and the structure of his revised money seems to indicate this …

Right, if this isn't the writing on the wall of him transitioning into the role of TE2 on this team I don't know what is, only way he's gone is he decides to try to get overpaid somewhere else or performs so well at the right time that we're stuck picking contracts between two TE1s.

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m with this, but I think it could be 45-55% of the snaps.  His new contract all but guarantees him to be a bill this year and next. I think 12 personnel will be used more than some would like/prefer.  

It’s hard to project because the offense will be different. Brady was playing him around 45% last year. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Right, if this isn't the writing on the wall of him transitioning into the role of TE2 on this team I don't know what is, only way he's gone is he decides to try to get overpaid somewhere else or performs so well at the right time that we're stuck picking contracts between two TE1s.

He is likely gone in 2026 … I don’t think the Bills will keep paying him what he is getting now on the revised deal… but its likely someone else will…

• Agree 3

He willingly took a big paycut this year to get his cap hit down to $7.7M. That's just a little more than we paid Harty last year, and I expect him to produce more than Harty did.

He is absolutely TE2. Or "Old School TE 1" in that, while Kincaid is listed as a TE, I expect him split out and running routes while Knox lines up with the OL.

I'd bet he'd be willing to rework his entire contract, and take a cut on annual cash if we extended the years.

• Agree 1

He won't be going anywhere this year after he reworked his deal.  

How much he plays this year IMHO will come down to how effective the OL is playing.  If the OL struggles to gel with the new pieces this year and takes a step back, they are going to need him on the field more for his blocking as Kincaid isn't bringing much to the table in that department.  If that is the case, I can see 50-55% of the snaps easily in his wheel house.  If the OL comes out strong, then I think he is more in the 35-45% snap range as I still do expect them to run quite a bit of 2 TE sets and do think Knox will see a lot of snaps on running downs still too.  

Whether he is here next year, well I honestly don't know the cap or contract scenario for next year since his reworked deal.  So hard for me to say how strong his future is past this season.  But I would be stunned if he was moved this year after reworking his deal.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He is likely gone in 2026 … I don’t think the Bills will keep paying him what he is getting now on the revised deal… but its likely someone else will…

Why the salary cap is going to keep going up, makes plenty of sense to have a great TE and good-solid TE2.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Why the salary cap is going to keep going up, makes plenty of sense to have a great TE and good-solid TE2.

I would prefer to try to draft a TE Day 2 next year who can take over as TE2 in 2026..