Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Considering "last years WR 3" was our best receiver over the last 10 games I'd say we're half way there.

The issue is you can't project in a vacuum

Last years WR3 got WR3 attention from DBs

Asking him to be as productive against better quality corners isn't a given

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Didn't say it was a given but I don't think it's above reasonable expectations to think he could produce similarly but over 17 games.  I dare say it's projecting in a vacuum to say he couldn't do it.

Edited by Maine-iac

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh, as we get deeper into every offseason NFL fans get pretty imaginative.    Remember when much of TSW were buying the "Trent Edwards can run the no huddle" kool-aid after Russ Brandon acquired TO to pair with Lee Evans?    Nothing we'd seen on the field from Trentative should have suggested he was anywhere near capable of this.........but fans ate it up.  Looked good in mini-camp.  Turk Schonert was going to be the man with the plan at OC.

That whole process of rationalization took an enormous suspension of disbelief and vast amounts of imagination.    It wasn't reality.    The further we get from watching real football the more fans forget what works and what doesn't.  

I like Brady but you need the Jimmy's and Joe's once defense's adjust to "tactics".   Because they will.   The Dolphins ran up 70 points in a game against the Broncos early last season but eventually their limitations got exposed.   You gotta' have difference makers at key positions to survive and advance.    Bills are lacking that at WR.   They made up for that by running Allen almost 10x per game during the Brady stint as OC.   That's not a good long term strategy, IMO.

I don't expect to see Brady run plays like he did after getting thrown into the cage later in the season with Dorsey's play book.

I am of a slightly different opinion about jimmy's and joes.

The Coach has more influence on the game via play calling and adjustments. Its a skill not all have , but it is the most important facet to winning a Game, And I am going to stick to that.

But is surely not the whole of the matter in getting wins week in and week out.
You have a to have a strong foundation at every "team" defense offense 

Secondary , front seven. O line TEs WRs and guys coming out of the backfield etc.

Get a strong base and a great play caller. Coaching at each group needs to be strong and communicate well.

I am no longer on the bandwagon of a 1A being next to QB in importance.

Getting the ball to the open guy and calling the right runs at the right time.
Bills are not weak anywhere i suggest on Offense excepting RT (sorry Spencer buddy, not sold on you yet)

Nor are they exceptional , on paper at this point. we shall see.

Have faith 😉

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 4:53 PM, NoSaint said:

and any of them could step up but we probably need 2 out of 3 to play above reasonable expectation to have an average to possibly above group 

I would like you to consider the TEs and RBs as pass catcher of skill and ability

The sum of these parts might well be enough if used thoughtfully.

To be fair to badoll,

Some of these WRS will need to step up and into next level. Shakir will get some love from D-Coord so i am " Wishful ?! " Curtis S steps up , and wishful Coleman can find his feet , and hands before midseason 

Edited by 3rdand12

7 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I apologize if I'm reposting stuff.  Saw this and thought it was interesting.  The guy isn't a Coleman fan and it's only mini camp but I like the video thought I'd share.

Interesting, yes. Says Coleman is creating a lot of underneath separation. Exactly the kind of route that Davis struggled with.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I would like you to consider the TEs and RBs as pass catcher of skill and ability

To fair to badoll,

Some of these WRS will need to step up and into next level. Shakir will get some love from D-Coord so i am " Wishful ?! " Curtis S steps up , and wishful Coleman can find his feet , and hands before midseason 

specifically my original post was in response  to someone saying the wr room was solid. While I’ll say cook and Kincaid are solid- they unfortunately run a lot of the some routes into the same zones that our existing WRs do. There’s definitely some initial gaps in the WR room that a back just doesn’t fill (stretching the D vertically)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

My issue with this is that NFL defenses don’t often work in this capacity. Yes it is true a superstar may garner some extra attention, a coverage a certain way or have their top DB travel with them. This is not a given. 

Many teams admittedly do not play this kind of defense. I would think that Shakir can continue and do his thing, and it is up to the staff to find ways to create match ups. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

My issue with this is that NFL defenses don’t often work in this capacity. Yes it is true a superstar may garner some extra attention, a coverage a certain way or have their top DB travel with them. This is not a given. 

Many teams admittedly do not play this kind of defense. I would think that Shakir can continue and do his thing, and it is up to the staff to find ways to create match ups. 

creating/exploiting matchups is what i am talking about. i dont lay claim to knowing how nfl defenses prefer to operate, its just a numbers game at his spot

we removed our top 2 target shares at wideout and are presumably expecting to shift some of that volume to shakir. that means he's going to be seeing more snaps, more targets, be higher on the progressions, and be expected to produce when defenses are expecting it. that's significantly more responsibility than a fourth option as was his previous role.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Already addressed that.  I agree with you.  As far as playing QB at a high level the Chiefs game might have been one of his best at taking the profit and keeping the offense on the field.  

Yes until 2nd and 9 after the 2 minute warning.   A choice more perplexing than anything that transpired during 13 seconds.

• Like (+1) 4

19 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Anyone see how fast the Texas receivers look at mini camp (Mitchell and Worthy)? Mitchell looks like an absolute steal. Pats doubled up at WR with Polk and Baker. Coleman wears discount yellow bubble jacket is the only headline I've seen so far out of Buffalo but we'll see.

Those shorts really should be paired with over-the-calf tube socks with 3 stripes.

6 hours ago, NickelCity said:

100 pages for Keon. Go be a star.

4 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

We do 100 pages on punters & kickers. He's not a star yet 😉

😀

He's in the Pantheon of great Bills stars like Zach Ertz, Jeremy Maclin and DeAndre Hopkins!!😁

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes until 2nd and 9 after the 2 minute warning.   A choice more perplexing than anything that transpired during 13 seconds.

Old habits die hard especially in high pressure situations.  Brady deserves a lot of the blame for the play call imo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

To fair to badoll,

and don't forget Kincaid or Cook,.,,Both can catch the ball and take it downfield and Knox can actually take the top of the defense.

17 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Considering "last years WR 3" was our best receiver over the last 10 games I'd say we're half way there.

I'm expecting Samuel, assuming he stays healthy, will have his best season as a pro and eclipse 1,000 yards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Gregg Cosell and Chris Simms.  Using them because they are the known film watchers out of the media talking heads.  Both said last season teams stopped playing Diggs like a top 10 wr.  They were not double teaming him or worried about him getting deep.  Shakir will be defended differently but is versatile to be moved around and may or may not be the primary read on any given play. 

• Like (+1) 1