Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

Honestly the best part of this draft was watching all the alarmist's on this board  LOSE.  THEIR.  COLLECTIVE.  MINDS!  What little they have anyways.  Calm down, take a breath and see how this all plays out first.  All is not lost, many good players left, not all 1st round ***** are immediate studs.  Breathe people breathe!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Who was the draft pundit who said we would trade back with Carolina and then take McConkey at 33? 

If Beane was speaking truth when he said he didn’t have first round grades on 28 players and all the players he did have first round grades on were gone, then he’s gonna find some value on days two and three. I have a hunch he’s gonna acquire a third pick in the 2nd round as well. 

While Worthy has boom or bust written all over him and I’m glad we didn’t take him, it just sucks to make that deal with KC. 

Beane said they had more players with 2nd round grades than 1st round grades.  He didn't try to move up in the first because he didn't want to give up his 2nd round pick this year or mortgage next year's picks.

Y'all are on one. Worthy isn't the 2nd coming of like Tyreke Hill here people

I mean, folks realize that most analysts and scouts had AD Mitchell ahead of Worthy yes?  That's the dude I thought the Bills would be targeting. He's a prototypical perimeter guy. They don't need another midget

Edited by appoo
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My Chiefs fan point of view on it.

1.  (forget the trade was with KC and Buffalo....I'll get to that). I don't like the move for KC that much.  I don't hate it, but I do think it's a deep WR group and there are still a bunch of very good WR left.  As some have noted, KC felt compelled to come up for Worthy.  From the idea that KC moved to get their guy..great, they paid a small toll to move up and secure a guy they thought might go before 32.  SF taking Pearsall, hints at that possibility, but by no means is proof anyone would have taken him before 32.  The cost was cheap so I'm not bothered by that.  I think if it was me, I would have stayed in place and taken Jerry Newton or Patrick Paul.  I am excited to see what Worthy looks like on the field.  

2.  From the Bills point of view...the aesthetic of making this trade with KC is AWFUL.  You can't do this with us.  Not after Mahomes, not after McDuffie, not after 3-0 in recent playoff games holding the Bills back from what surely would be at least one Lombardi by now....it's a horrible horrible look and YES, the national meida are going to ROAST the Bills for doing this. 

3.  If you can get past the look of it...it's a good trade for the Bills.  CLEARLY.  CLEARLY they did not have anyone on their board they liked at all at 28.  Worth was CLEARLY NOT the Bills guy so it's not like KC beat the Bills to the punch or anything like that.  The Bills pick up some draft capital (albeit, not a whole lot) to move back and reconsider the situation.  It's GOOD managing of the draft when you are able to pick up some capital when you find yourself in no mans land at your spot.  Dropping back one more spot to 33 is the same thing.  This isn't bad if you can get past the bad look of doing business with KC.

4.  This is NOT a deep draft.  If the Bills can convert some of that newly aquired later ammo into day 2 picks, it will be a plus.

5.  Since the Bills DID deal with KC though....IF Worthy blows up, the Bills are going to get scorched for both trading with KC and misevaluting the player they could have taken.  For this reason alone, I would have declined dealing with KC.  Too little to be gained at the risk of it all blowing up in your face.

6.  The Bills can still totally win their draft, overall it's correct strategy if their player evaluations are solid. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

***** him. He doesn’t have a clue. Andy Reid stole his lunch money again!

I genuinely don’t get this…any of those wrs left late 1st/still available early 2nd have the chance to be the best of that bunch and we moved up a decent amount of spots later in the draft and will get a guy likely every bit as good with our first pick.  

There’s a decent shot worthy would’ve still been there at 32 for the chiefs and they downgraded a pick for nothing. 

even bigger chance chiefs traded up to get a bust 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

1.  (forget the trade was with KC and Buffalo....I'll get to that). I don't like the move for KC that much.  I don't hate it, but I do think it's a deep WR group and there are still a bunch of very good WR left.  As some have noted, KC felt compelled to come up for Worthy.  From the idea that KC moved to get their guy..great, they paid a small toll to move up and secure a guy they thought might go before 32.  SF taking Pearsall, hints at that possibility, but by no means is proof anyone would have taken him before 32.  The cost was cheap so I'm not bothered by that.  I think if it was me, I would have stayed in place and taken Jerry Newton or Patrick Paul.  I am excited to see what Worthy looks like on the field.  

2.  From the Bills point of view...the aesthetic of making this trade with KC is AWFUL.  You can't do this with us.  Not after Mahomes, not after McDuffie, not after 3-0 in recent playoff games holding the Bills back from what surely would be at least one Lombardi by now....it's a horrible horrible look and YES, the national meida are going to ROAST the Bills for doing this. 

3.  If you can get past the look of it...it's a good trade for the Bills.  CLEARLY.  CLEARLY they did not have anyone on their board they liked at all at 28.  Worth was CLEARLY NOT the Bills guy so it's not like KC beat the Bills to the punch or anything like that.  The Bills pick up some draft capital (albeit, not a whole lot) to move back and reconsider the situation.  It's GOOD managing of the draft when you are able to pick up some capital when you find yourself in no mans land at your spot.  Dropping back one more spot to 33 is the same thing.  This isn't bad if you can get past the bad look of doing business with KC.

4.  This is NOT a deep draft.  If the Bills can convert some of that newly aquired later ammo into day 2 picks, it will be a plus.

5.  Since the Bills DID deal with KC though....IF Worthy blows up, the Bills are going to get scorched for both trading with KC and misevaluting the player they could have taken.  For this reason alone, I would have declined dealing with KC.  Too little to be gained at the risk of it all blowing up in your face.

6.  The Bills can still totally win their draft, overall it's correct strategy if their player evaluations are solid. 

I wasn't that high on the fast feather, but it's going to look bad if he thrives with you evil lot.

I still like Mitchell and McConkey. I would have taken either one at #28, but second round and adding draft capital is fine.

Maybe Beane will trade back again, who knows?

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Genius, Beane wasn't the GM when we made the trade with KC that resulted in Mahomes.

FACTS!!  Don't confuse them with FACTS!!!

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Here’s my issue, it doesn’t matter if we didn’t want Worthy. You don’t give Mahomes a speed receiver. It’s ok that Beane didn’t want Worthy, but there’s no way you take the risk of giving any help to Mahomes. Maybe the Chiefs draft Worthy at 32, but why be directly responsible for potentially watching Worthy catch deep passes against us in the playoffs? I just don’t get it. 

SF may have wanted him and that prompted KC to jump ahead of them. He’s too slight anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I agree with a lot of this and vehemently disagree with the key point…I don’t think beane should give any amount of hoots what the optics are if it helps the team lol.  You’ve gotta trust your evaluations, you don’t pass up on an opportunity because you might’ve gotten the evaluations wrong 😂

national media are idiots caught up in the narrative if they can’t see that. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I wasn't that high on the fast feather, but it's going to look bad if he thrives with you evil lot.

I still like Mitchell and McConkey. I would have taken either one at #28, but second round and adding draft capital is fine.

Maybe Beane will trade back again, who knows?

Having listened to him, he just might. He is going to have to start making some picks sometime, though-- or he could trade them for 2025's.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

They got Tyreek Hill... and Rice will probably end up pretty good. What's Beane's track record?

Gabe Davis and maybe Shakir takes another step? Not like we're savants in that area.

Hill was lucky because of the horrific and accurate character concerns.

Beane hit on a 4th and 5th round WR, and you’re trying to portray that as a negative.

Rice is fine but Sky Moore is a wasted pick, Mecole Hardman is trash. The Chiefs have spent more capital on WR and have the same as the Bills to show for it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

Hill was lucky because of the horrific and accurate character concerns.

Beane hit on a 4th and 5th round WR, and you’re trying to portray that as a negative.

Rice is fine but Sky Moore is a wasted pick, Mecole Hardman is trash. The Chiefs have spent more capital on WR and have the same as the Bills to show for it. 

Also Gabe Davis is better than any Chiefs WR other than Tyreke Hill

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Perception is noise, but noise can also be a weapon. Ask Manuel Noriega.

I do think Beane gains within the GM-club by making the deal, without demanding a gouge deal. His willingness to accomodate Veach will presumably lead to his own cachet for moving up or down a little, fairly, to be looked favorably among other GMs. Part of GM'ing is political and making your trading partner look like not a fool is not insignificant.

My own strategery for the Bills in this draft was to try to get 4 top-100 picks. There may be fallers or sleepers later but the most useful players in this draft seem to get scarce between 100 and 120. Bills having the chasm from pick 60 to 128, it was imperative for them to gain at least one, preferably 2, additional picks in that Goldilocks zone of players who may be capable of contributing this year. 

To me, Beane's doing what I would have done to try to marry value and need by using the juice of a higher pick to elevate other picks into that sweet spot - IF the player(s) you've honed in on at the top end are likely to still be available at the trade-down. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Seriously, Shakir and Samuel, who is a plus gadget guy? That's the best currently in our WR room. Beane has to add. It's terrible right now, and an absolute disservice to Josh Allen. I still like Mitchell and McConkey. I'm not high on Coleman and Franklin, though some are. Might be a draft choice and a veteran that is available.

It's definitely concerning.  Beane has to draft two WRs in the second and third rounds tomorrow, right?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

SF may have wanted him and that prompted KC to jump ahead of them. He’s too slight anyway. 

That's a good point. Worthy is a scheme fit in SF (that's why I'm surprised that Miami didn't take him), but KC is chasing the Tyreek Hill dragon since they traded him. I don't know why, given the fact that they just won two straight SB without him and really could have used a DB, but they really feel that need.

BTW, I have KC PTSD as much as anyone, but Worthy gives me John Ross vibes all day. That speed is seductive, but Tyreek is great because he's an elite route runner first and fast second. I remember the entire city of Cincinnati (I live here) begging Marvin Lewis to play Ross more, but when he did he couldn't get open or catch footballs. I mean, if speed and size is all you need to play WR the Bills just need to convince Ely De La Cruz to switch sports. 

13 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

yes he did - but he dissed all his other picks too.....don't cherry pick.

He did?

"Shakir averaged 36 yards per game last year, so I wouldn't point to him as this major coup of a pick.

Buffalo's best draft pick used on a WR in 6 drafts is a 4th on Davis. And he was so good they let him walk in UFA. 

McBeane have found most of their production from UFA or trades at the position in a league which prioritizes them in the draft."

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

25 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Any reason not to take Adonai Mitchell? He's 6'4.

He's 6'2".

But yes, he was the consensus #5 WR in the class. If we take him at #33, many in the media will immediately look at Beane as a genius for maneuvering to acquire better picks while still getting a guy that many of the media members believes can be a special player.

Personally, I'm not as high on him and there's a handful of WRs available now that I'd take ahead of him, but I do have a 2nd round grade on him.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's definitely concerning.  Beane has to draft two WRs in the second and third rounds tomorrow, right?

The Bills have no 3rd draft picks.

Two 2nd round draft picks, one 4th round pick and pretty much the entire 5th round of picks.

Edited by HIT BY SPIKES
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, appoo said:

Also Gabe Davis is better than any Chiefs WR other than Tyreke Hill

Lol in what way?

The same guy Bills fans couldn't wait to get off the team? The same guy who Bills fans said wasn't even good enough as a number 2? I guarantee Rice will be better in no time, if he isn't already. Completely blinded by homerism.

It also doesn't change my original point. "Lucky" or not, the Chiefs have a better track record with their WRs than us. At least they hit on one.

Edited by BigDingus

I hate the fact that DeJean seems like SUCH a McDermott guy and the fact that he slipped out of the first round might be too difficult for the Bills to resist, even though it should not even be a consideration with the state of our WR room.

I am going to be on edge until the 2nd round begins. Thankfully we pick first. For now, anyway.

Just now, BigDingus said:

Lol in what way?

The same guy Bills fans couldn't wait to get off the team? The same guy who Bills fans said wasn't even good enough as a number 2? I guarantee Rice will be better in no time, if he isn't already. Completely blinded by homerism.

Bills fans couldn’t wait to get any chiefs receivers off their team if they had all the chiefs receivers to be fair lol 

1 minute ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

The Bills have no 3rd draft picks.

Two 2nd round draft picks, one 4th round pick and pretty much the entire 5th round of picks.

After the trades - they have 2 2nds, a 3rd, and a 4th - plus a bunch of 5ths - 7ths.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Lol in what way?

It also doesn't change my original point. "Lucky" or not, the Chiefs have a better track record with their WRs than us. At least they hit on one.

I'm being a homer on a guy who I'm indifferent on if he stayed or left this season, and certainly believe he wasn't worth the money the Jags gave him?  

People are freaked the ***** out by the Chiefs name. They've been basically awful drafting early other than 1 particular pick