Brand Beane Press Conf 4/18

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Dawg - My interpretation of what he said about his different from yours.   I'm not predicting a move to get one of those guys, but I don't think he suggested he wouldn't do it.  

As you say, he did say that when he made the deal for Diggs, he was looking for help for Allen, because Brown and Beasley couldn't carry the offense.  And yes, he said that he doesn't have to make a move like that now, because Allen has progressed.  But he also didn't say, and I don't think he implied, that he wouldn't acquire a receiver by trading a draft pick.

He also was clear that he'd like to have a true number 1 guy.   He just said that the Bills no longer need the guy to support Allen in that way. 

@Shaw66, where did he say something that was clear to you that he'd like to have a "true number 1 guy"?

He started off the presser saying that in Stefon Diggs, you're talking about a guy who for 4 years filled a #1 role.  He went on to say that "we have not filled a number 1 role.  We have a group of guys with different skill sets, would we like to add to it at some point, yes, but I'm not sitting here thinking we have a glaring hole"  He then went on to say sometimes you have young guys on your roster that you believe can ascend, but they have to prove it, too.

A lack of #1 WR is a pretty glaring hole, IMO, if you believe you need one.

But, I will admit that I have not made it through the entire interview, so I'd love to be pointed at ~where he said that, unless it was in a theoretical "yeah, we'd run to the podium for Ja'Maar Chase" kind of way?

I agree that Beane very deliberately left it open that he wouldn't exclude anything, but I do believe Beane suggested that he wouldn't do it - all the stuff about not wanting to give up next year's #1 pick, not expecting to trade the #2 pick from the Diggs trade etc etc.

They’re going to surround their #1 target Dalton Kincaid with speed to push safeties deep.

Kincaid will have 90-100 catch season for 1100 yards 8 TDs.

That why Beane said they don’t need a WR1. They have their number 1 target already.

1 of 3 players will be Buffalo Bills to complete the WR room. Brian Thomas JR, Xavier Worthy, or Devontez Walker. They will also draft a bigger body WR in the middle-late rounds.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Great summary, Thanks for this.

I will say, I think Beane was trying a little too hard to persuade everyone that he thinks the WR room is just fine and we'll be casually looking to add another piece or two at some point in the future, not anxiously perusing the draft board for guys who have "WR" listed for position as our draft picks approach.

But I agree with you that all signs point to "disinclined to make a big splash to move up to the top-10"

I thought it was interesting that Beane mentioned "guys who are already on the roster" contributing at WR and made an analogy to Terrell Bernard who had to "prove it" that he could step up.  Khalil, after the end of the season, I think has left no doubt he can play in the league although as a #1 or #2 is a good question.

Does anyone think he might have been referring to Justin Shorter, last year's 5th round pick?

Hey now..........don't suggest that Beane is disingenuous..........everyone know's he's pretty straight forward about everything.:lol:

It's always hilarious how selective people are when characterizing Beane's honesty.

I don't want an honest GM.   His personnel evaluations haven't always been great but he's always been great at puppeteering Bills fans.   It's hard to fake-it till you make-it as a GM if you can't use the slight of tongue like Beane. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

The first two picks are WR and DL....in no particular order🤣😆😂

Sometimes i have to wonder about you. 😇

I can see Beane moving around cuz all those late round picks. Stacking them to move up and down.

I feel next years second is in play if needed

Aint going for the ring this draft

Get me two impact players and solid depth and i will kiss him.

Think of Josh dear  Brandon Beane

Give him the gift that keeps giving

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks for your thoughts. 

On the one hand, some will say "it's lying season!" and "smokescreen!", and they're not entirely wrong. On the other hand, Beane has shown himself to be very honest and blunt over the years when he does these types of press conferences, and saying that there's nothing meaningful to be gained from listening to what he says ignores the evidence to the contrary that has piled up over the years.

Regarding a small trade-up, I'll say this:

The random report from Andrew Filiponi a few days ago that the Bills and Steelers swapping 1st round picks was "something to watch out for" raised my eyebrows.

It wouldn't be cost prohibitive for the Bills, it would match the M.O. of a modest round 1 trade-up that we all know Beane seems to love, and if I'm not mistaken, the Steelers need a center, and they could still likely get a JPJ or Graham Barton at 28.

If a Brian Thomas Jr or Cooper DeJean (or whomever they like) is sitting there at 20, it won't shock me one bit if this trade comes to fruition on draft night.

100% on everything here. 

1. It’s lying game season for sure. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen but it doesn’t mean it’s not. 

2. I think of certain things happen that aren’t expected you could see them make a trade up. Sure I don’t see them trading up to 7 to get a guy, but if Odunze or Nabors falls out of the top 10 I could see them scrambling for a move. Same goes for Thomas Jr. if he makes it to the late teens I could totally see them making a deal there. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Incoming CB round one

We’d have the coolest CB name in football with Kool Aid overtaking Sauce… and we know corners with nicknames are allowed to mug receivers, might even be in the rule book.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hey now..........don't suggest that Beane is disingenuous..........everyone know's he's pretty straight forward about everything.:lol:

It's always hilarious how selective people are when characterizing Beane's honesty.

I don't want an honest GM.   His personnel evaluations haven't always been great but he's always been great at puppeteering Bills fans.   It's hard to fake-it till you make-it as a GM if you can't use the slight of tongue like Beane. 

I'm a bit puzzled why you're replying to me here.

In general, my phrase for Beane is that I think he tells the truth, but not the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  I've said that in other posts.

I have no idea what "puppeteering Bills fans" means or why you think it's an important trait for a GM - I woulda thought building a good enough roster to sustain a high W-L record and get into the playoffs would be more his jam, but whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

We have the strongest WR draft class in years, we NEED WRs, we have a great QB at his peak, and Diggs is gone and we also said we needed a blazer before he left. If we come out of this draft without taking one of the top guys or two it will be colossal failure. You win with offense in this league and we need to outscore the other top QBs in the AFC. Defense just needs to be adequate and not a complete sieve.

Here, I'd like to redirect you to some of the work I and others have done looking at where in the draft the top guys fell.

If you mean, we better draft a couple WR in this deep WR-talent draft AND EARLIER THAN THE 4th ROUND DAMMIT BEANE! I completely agree.

If you mean it will be a failure if we come out of the draft without moving up in the 1st round to draft one of the guys being talked about as the top 3, Meh.

Sometimes the guys touted as the top prospects come out the best, sometimes they don't.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/your-team-has-to-evolve-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-speaks-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills

Take aways:

1. I do not think Beane is even thinking about moving into the top 10 to get one of the big 3 WR. 
    1. He said he would take any call, but he also said teams in the top 10 don't generally call teams down at 28.  
    2. When asked about him calling them, he mocked them even wanting to take his call and made it clear he hasn't called them.  
    3. Worth noting as well, Bills have no reported visits or meetings with MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  We did reportedly meet once with Thomas.  
    4. He is not a fan at all of moving a future first, which I will cover in comments below.  
  2. I think he made it pretty clear as well that we are not going to be trading for a proven guy such as Aiyuk or Higgins as many have been wanting.  
    1. Specifically said when we traded for Stef, Allen was an ascending player and the offense needed a guy like that.  
    2. But that now with Allen ascended to the player he is, that is not a requirement and not necessary.
  3. He made it clear he is very comfortable making a small trade up to make sure he can get the guy he covets.  So if there is one he wants where a small move up to go get him is on the table, I think he will pull that trigger. 
  4. He also made it very clear he really does NOT want to move next years 1st, but did admit he would if the deal made sense to do it.  
    1. Referenced regretting those kind of moves in the next draft when they did them in Carolina when the next draft came and the guy they gave up that first didn't really get them over the top.
  5. He also doesn't plan to move the 2nd we got for Diggs, but wouldn't rule it out if they felt the right deal was there.  
  6. Between Josh, McD and Beane interviews, I think it was pretty clear they have a lot of confidence in the core of Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook.  It is clear we are going after a WR in first 2 rounds, but I would not expect us to go back to back WR or take 2 early as some around here have suggested.  If we take a 2nd one, I would expect it later like rounds 4 and on.  
  7. Beane made it clear that trading back is very much in play at 28 and pointed out if they couldn't get Kincaid they had a real good trade back worked out he really liked.  
  8. Also added he would love to add someone on the DL that can contribute this season.  
    1. While he said it could be in the first, would have to see what is there at 28 in general, but went on to say he sees guys outside the first in this draft that can come in and contribute this year.

So what I came away with is that I think there is very little chance we are making a move to get MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  It was also clear it was just as unlikely we are going after someone like Aiyuk, Higgins, etc either.  And that has been my belief all along as well.  

While I wouldn't say that anything he said rules out moving up into the teens to get Thomas (like say Jags at 17), I think it's a low possibility he goes up outside the 20's.  The thing that most often stuck out was the reluctance on using high future picks to move up.  I think Beane really likes the idea of having a first and two 2nd's next year and really prefers not trading them.   And I do think that trading back is a very strong possibility for us to try and get a 3rd this year or maybe even a third 2nd for next year.

All in all this was a good listen...and Beane has a track record for being pretty straight forward and candid on these things, so I think he is shooting pretty straight with his comments like he always has. 

my take away is you generally heard what you wanted? 

the summary essentially reads:

they aren’t talking to top ten teams… but would be talking to trade back with exactly those same teams 

they aren’t trading up to the top of the round and don’t want to trade the 1 or 2 unless of course they decide to trade the 1 or 2

• Like (+1) 1

@Shaw66, where did he say something that was clear to you that he'd like to have a "true number 1 guy"?

He started off the presser saying that in Stefon Diggs, you're talking about a guy who for 4 years filled a #1 role.  He went on to say that "we have not filled a number 1 role.  We have a group of guys with different skill sets, would we like to add to it at some point, yes, but I'm not sitting here thinking we have a glaring hole"  He then went on to say sometimes you have young guys on your roster that you believe can ascend, but they have to prove it, too.

But, I will admit that I have not made it through the entire interview, so I'd love to be pointed at ~where he said that, unless it was in a theoretical "yeah, we'd run to the podium for Ja'Maar Chase" kind of way?

I agree that Beane very deliberately left it open that he wouldn't exclude anything, but I do believe Beane suggested that he wouldn't do it - all the stuff about not wanting to give up next year's #1 pick, not expecting to trade the #2 pick from the Diggs trade etc etc.

I'm not going to go back through the press conference and find, but I think he said it very clearly.  

It was in the discussion about whether he needed to get a Diggs again, and yes, he said he didn't need to.  He said, essentially, what I said a couple weeks ago - that the Bills are comfortable playing with a lot of good receivers without a stud.   But as he was saying that, he also said something like, "of course, it's always nice to have one of those guys."   I thought it was very clear - if a stud falls our way and he fits into our plans, then, sure, we'll do it.   It's just that he doesn't feel the need to do it.  He just needs another good contributor.  

When i was talking about it earlier, I said that one of Shakir and Kincaid and Samuel is going to go over 1000 yards, and all they need is another guy to get 500 or 600.   I really think they're thinking that.  That additional guy be a first or second round rookie who has the potential to become a #1 or it could be someone else.   

But, just as an example, if nothing breaks right in the draft, it could be D Hopkins or OBJ.   They're going to do something.   They need another receiver.   

The point is he DIDN'T say "we are NOT looking for a #1."   He said everyone would like to have one of those studs, but the clear implication was that the Bills don't think they need one.  

What I said above is that if, and I have no idea whether it could happen, but if what the Niners need in a trade for Aiyuk is affordable to Beane will pursue it.  He'd be crazy not to.   And I'm not talking about next year's #1 - yes, he was clear, and I agree, that he should trade next year's #1.   But this year's 1 and 2 to get a proven, stud receiver who could give the Bills one of the very best receiver groups for the next three years, I think Beane would pull the trigger on something like that.  

The bottom line is that he and McDermott are building a team.   Spending here means they can't spend there.   They make decisions like that all the time.  They want a receiver.  There are a lot of different kinds of receivers available.  They're going to make a choice.  

Remember Beane talking about drafting Edmunds?  He said preparing for that draft he went through dozens and dozens of scenarios, but none of the scenarios included getting Allen AND still have a shot at Allen.  But it happened.   What I'm really saying is that if the 49ers call on draft day with an offer, Beane and McDermott are going to try to figure out how to do it.  All options are on the table.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

what’s the one thing he can least afford to say today?

Honestly would that worst thing be: “I have a glaring hole at WR1 and need to trade up to fill it”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm a bit puzzled why you're replying to me here.

In general, my phrase for Beane is that I think he tells the truth, but not the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  I've said that in other posts.

I have no idea what "puppeteering Bills fans" means or why you think it's an important trait for a GM - I woulda thought building a good enough roster to sustain a high W-L record and get into the playoffs would be more his jam, but whatever.

It's very simple..........Beane says whatever fits his agenda.    And that's fine.    "Don't expect any big moves" can just as easily mean $120M contract to Von Miller is coming with Beane.   That was an example of a bald-faced Big Baller Beane lie.  It was a move that had been in the making since the trade deadline the previous season.  But if you think that was a spur of the moment decision then it's not surprising that you get puzzled so easily.   That's what he's counting on from Bills fans.     He sets bars that he can realistically, if not EASILY, surpass and that makes he and the Pegula's look good and prevents the unwashed from keeping receipts on them.  That's something the Pegula's gotta' love about him with all the heat they get for their greater personal involvement with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

what’s the one thing he can least afford to say today?

Honestly would that worst thing be: “I have a glaring hole at WR1 and need to trade up to fill it”

Of course.  That's why I was surprised that @Shaw66 felt he heard him say that he wanted a #1.  I thought Beane's whole point in this presser was to act like "What?  WR?  Nah, we're good...hey, maybe we got a surprise buried in the depth of the roster, like Terrel Bernard last year...Of course we'd like to add one sometime, but No Rush!

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's very simple..........Beane says whatever fits his agenda.    And that's fine.    "Don't expect any big moves" can just as easily mean $120M contract to Von Miller is coming with Beane.   That was an example of a bald-faced Big Baller Beane lie.  It was a move that had been in the making since the trade deadline the previous season.  But if you think that was a spur of the moment decision then it's not surprising that you get puzzled so easily.   That's what he's counting on from Bills fans.     He sets bars that he can realistically, if not EASILY, surpass and that makes he and the Pegula's look good and prevents the unwashed from keeping receipts on them.  That's something the Pegula's gotta' love about him with all the heat they get for their greater personal involvement with the Sabres.

OK, thanks for your explanation.  

Edited by Beck Water

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm not going to go back through the press conference and find, but I think he said it very clearly.  

It was in the discussion about whether he needed to get a Diggs again, and yes, he said he didn't need to.  He said, essentially, what I said a couple weeks ago - that the Bills are comfortable playing with a lot of good receivers without a stud.   But as he was saying that, he also said something like, "of course, it's always nice to have one of those guys." 

Understood on "not going to go back through", but if you have any clue about how far in it was, I'd appreciate it.

I heard a lot of "don't need a true #1" "#1 by committee" prior to the 2019 season.  Now admittedly, we upgraded our WR room with John Brown and Cole Beasley, though relative to Fat Kelvin, Bloody Zay Jones, Bob Foster, Andre Holmes, and Deonte Thompson, that was a pretty low bar to achieve.  The bottom line, though, was that when it came to the playoffs where teams had had all season to watch film on us, it simply wasn't enough and Josh Allen was throwing passes at critical junctures to Duke Williams and Pat DiMarco.

I don't want to go back there.  Even if (as some suggest) Khalil Shakir takes a big step, Dalton Kincaid continues to develop, and Curtis Samuel has something akin to his previous career best year, I don't think it's enough, and I'm concerned Beane does or will "settle" for it.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It was in the discussion about whether he needed to get a Diggs again, and yes, he said he didn't need to.  He said, essentially, what I said a couple weeks ago - that the Bills are comfortable playing with a lot of good receivers without a stud.   But as he was saying that, he also said something like, "of course, it's always nice to have one of those guys."   I thought it was very clear - if a stud falls our way and he fits into our plans, then, sure, we'll do it.   It's just that he doesn't feel the need to do it.  He just needs another good contributor.  

When i was talking about it earlier, I said that one of Shakir and Kincaid and Samuel is going to go over 1000 yards, and all they need is another guy to get 500 or 600.   I really think they're thinking that.  That additional guy be a first or second round rookie who has the potential to become a #1 or it could be someone else.   

But, just as an example, if nothing breaks right in the draft, it could be D Hopkins or OBJ.   They're going to do something.   They need another receiver.   

The point is he DIDN'T say "we are NOT looking for a #1."   He said everyone would like to have one of those studs, but the clear implication was that the Bills don't think they need one.  

What I said above is that if, and I have no idea whether it could happen, but if what the Niners need in a trade for Aiyuk is affordable to Beane will pursue it.  He'd be crazy not to.   And I'm not talking about next year's #1 - yes, he was clear, and I agree, that he should trade next year's #1.   But this year's 1 and 2 to get a proven, stud receiver who could give the Bills one of the very best receiver groups for the next three years, I think Beane would pull the trigger on something like that.  

The bottom line is that he and McDermott are building a team.   Spending here means they can't spend there.   They make decisions like that all the time.  They want a receiver.  There are a lot of different kinds of receivers available.  They're going to make a choice.  

Remember Beane talking about drafting Edmunds?  He said preparing for that draft he went through dozens and dozens of scenarios, but none of the scenarios included getting Allen AND still have a shot at Allen.  But it happened.   What I'm really saying is that if the 49ers call on draft day with an offer, Beane and McDermott are going to try to figure out how to do it.  All options are on the table.  

He actually said the opposite.  He said they don’t need to get a true WR1 guy, there is not a need for a “Diggs” like when they traded for him and Josh was still developing.  

He made clear they are going to get a WR though.  

41 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

my take away is you generally heard what you wanted? 

the summary essentially reads:

they aren’t talking to top ten teams… but would be talking to trade back with exactly those same teams 

they aren’t trading up to the top of the round and don’t want to trade the 1 or 2 unless of course they decide to trade the 1 or 2

Maybe just listen for yourself then rather than say I heard what I wanted to hear when I posted exactly what he said.  

I didn’t say he has spoken to teams to trade down.  He literally said this is the week the phone starts ringing off the hook.  He specifically said he has not called anyone about moving in the top 10 and no one has called him either as teams that high generally don’t want to move all the way back to 28.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't want to go back there.  Even if (as some suggest) Khalil Shakir takes a big step, Dalton Kincaid continues to develop, and Curtis Samuel has something akin to his previous career best year, I don't think it's enough, and I'm concerned Beane does or will "settle" for it.

I wrote in another thread that what the Bills really need is excellence to cover all parts of the field. Speed and outside threats are sorely lacking right now and hence we dont have a full WR room by any means. If (when) the Bills add 2 WRs to the roster who can own/excel in specific parts of the skills while also doing other things, then we will have a complete room. Samuel is one example where he has played mostly in the slot but can play outside also. We need the two additions to be the opposite. 

So, if you use the pure words, we dont really need a single #1 WR if the above criteria can be filled. I want oppposing Defenses to fear our entire receiving corps as a whole and not one specific threat. Then we will truly have a unpredictable and dominating offense. This portfolio of skillsets will complement Allen's ability to reach any part of the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I wrote in another thread that what the Bills really need is excellence to cover all parts of the field. Speed and outside threats are sorely lacking right now and hence we dont have a full WR room by any means. If (when) the Bills add 2 WRs to the roster who can own/excel in specific parts of the skills while also doing other things, then we will have a complete room. Samuel is one example where he has played mostly in the slot but can play outside also. We need the two additions to be the opposite. 

So, if you use the pure words, we dont really need a single #1 WR if the above criteria can be filled. I want oppposing Defenses to fear our entire receiving corps as a whole and not one specific threat. Then we will truly have a unpredictable and dominating offense. This portfolio of skillsets will complement Allen's ability to reach any part of the field. 

This is an interesting point.  

I suppose one of the concerns I have is 2019, when Beane added Beasley and Brown and told us all we'd have #1 by committee.  That worked well enough to get us to 10-6 and a first round playoff exit, but it really wasn't enough, and adding Dawson Knox as a 3rd round TE pick described as "outstanding combination of measurables and traits, but he's much more moldable clay than game-ready prospect at this point" didn't add enough that year.  I don't fault Beane for drafting DL, but there were receivers available within reach for us in the 2nd round who have proven to be very very good players, AJ Brown and DK Metcalf still on the board for example.

So here we are going into a draft described as amazingly deep with WR talent, and Beane's words could translate to "First round DT it is, I'll draft a WR who has great potential late in the 2nd round or maybe in the 4th, see, we added someone!"  

It's not that I think Beane speaks his whole truth (not right before the draft, definitely) or that a higher 1st round pick is automagically better than someone drafted near the bottom of the 1st or in the 2nd round - not necessarily true - but IMO Beane does have a pattern of prioritizing high draft resources (1st and 2nd round picks) on defense that was only broken last year with our 1st and 2nd round picks on O.  I don't have any "skin" in the game of being "right" about how I interpret Beane, but I am concerned that in fact, he is saying what he means and meaning what he says.

I feel the team that developed Beane as a GM, Carolina, had a pattern to under-prioritize protecting Cam Newton and providing him with weapons, and Beane is continuing that pattern.  If you look at Carolina's drafts under Rivera (by Gurney and then Gettlemen) I find it eerily reminiscent of what Beane has done here.  When Rivera took over and Newton was drafted, the talented but ancient Steven Smith was the #1 WR, 32 yrs old; Greg Olsen was also on the roster.  They drafted WR in the 5th and 4th round the first 3 years of Newton's career, finally using a #1 pick on Fat Kelvin in his 4th year (sort of like trading for Diggs in Allen's 3rd season).  That's pretty much it until 2017, Newton's 7th season, when they drafted Christian McCaffery and Curtis Samuel.    But by then, Newton was pretty bashed up and on the downhill slide.

Seriously, if you look at Carolina's drafts from 2011 to 2017, it's headshaking.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Here, I'd like to redirect you to some of the work I and others have done looking at where in the draft the top guys fell.

If you mean, we better draft a couple WR in this deep WR-talent draft AND EARLIER THAN THE 4th ROUND DAMMIT BEANE! I completely agree.

If you mean it will be a failure if we come out of the draft without moving up in the 1st round to draft one of the guys being talked about as the top 3, Meh.

Sometimes the guys touted as the top prospects come out the best, sometimes they don't.

Yeah I should have been more specific.  I'd be really stoked if it was something like Leggette and Franklin or Thomas and Worhty. We need size and speed.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

I'd add to that:

• We are not taking a corner early - he was very bullish on their depth there. More bullish than I am 😂
  • That does not necessarily rule Cooper DeJean totally out of first round consideration. He was effusive for him and said "some teams with holes at safety" (wonder who that could be) would be happy to take him and "plug him right in there."

Not saying that means they will take DeJean. But I could imagine the board falling in a way where they do give it serious consideration. 

I largely agree with @Alphadawg7's readout on WR, although I thought he was a little less definitive on whether they'd move the 2nd they got for Diggs to get up this year. He did say somewhere in that answer something like "they are all currency." I came away thinking that is one of the chips he'd be most comfortable using to move up in the first. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He actually said the opposite.  He said they don’t need to get a true WR1 guy, there is not a need for a “Diggs” like when they traded for him and Josh was still developing.  

He made clear they are going to get a WR though.  

Maybe just listen for yourself then rather than say I heard what I wanted to hear when I posted exactly what he said.  

I didn’t say he has spoken to teams to trade down.  He literally said this is the week the phone starts ringing off the hook.  He specifically said he has not called anyone about moving in the top 10 and no one has called him either as teams that high generally don’t want to move all the way back to 28.

my point being he didn’t say much. 

Might stay put or trade up or down a little. Probably not up a lot cause it takes a lot lining up is loosely the gist and that’s a really practical statement even from a guy desperate to get there. 

I don’t believe he hasn’t talked to anyone. Even if on a surface level you don’t think he particularly wants to move up - but you do think he wants to move back… who would he be talking to about those possible moves? Teams at the top of 2. The same teams at the top of the first. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd add to that:

• We are not taking a corner early - he was very bullish on their depth there. More bullish than I am 😂
  • That does not necessarily rule Cooper DeJean totally out of first round consideration. He was effusive for him and said "some teams with holes at safety" (wonder who that could be) would be happy to take him and "plug him right in there."

Not saying that means they will take DeJean. But I could imagine the board falling in a way where they do give it serious consideration. 

I largely agree with @Alphadawg7's readout on WR, although I thought he was a little less definitive on whether they'd move the 2nd they got for Diggs to get up this year. He did say somewhere in that answer something like "they are all currency." I came away thinking that is one of the chips he'd be most comfortable using to move up in the first. 

ultimately I do believe also that alpha will have his chance to spike the ball and do a victory tour reminding us for all eternity that he was right about the lack of trade up 

but I think in not an inconsequential part that’s because it’s a lot harder to make a big move than it is to make a small move or no move at all. 

similar to @BADOLBILZstatements - he’s managing that expectation now. He knows there are viral clips, and his star player saying he’s doing it. He can’t let the fans expect it though even if he’s actively trying because it’s difficult and he has only so much control over it 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If he is speaking the truth… I find it interesting that he hasn’t spoken to the Top 10 teams yet …. Nothing wrong with at least asking the price … 

Arizona said 3 #1 picks is what they possibly want. 

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/your-team-has-to-evolve-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-speaks-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills

Take aways:

1. I do not think Beane is even thinking about moving into the top 10 to get one of the big 3 WR. 
    1. He said he would take any call, but he also said teams in the top 10 don't generally call teams down at 28.  
    2. When asked about him calling them, he mocked them even wanting to take his call and made it clear he hasn't called them.  
    3. Worth noting as well, Bills have no reported visits or meetings with MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  We did reportedly meet once with Thomas.  
    4. He is not a fan at all of moving a future first, which I will cover in comments below.  
  2. I think he made it pretty clear as well that we are not going to be trading for a proven guy such as Aiyuk or Higgins as many have been wanting.  
    1. Specifically said when we traded for Stef, Allen was an ascending player and the offense needed a guy like that.  
    2. But that now with Allen ascended to the player he is, that is not a requirement and not necessary.
  3. He made it clear he is very comfortable making a small trade up to make sure he can get the guy he covets.  So if there is one he wants where a small move up to go get him is on the table, I think he will pull that trigger. 
  4. He also made it very clear he really does NOT want to move next years 1st, but did admit he would if the deal made sense to do it.  
    1. Referenced regretting those kind of moves in the next draft when they did them in Carolina when the next draft came and the guy they gave up that first didn't really get them over the top.
  5. He also doesn't plan to move the 2nd we got for Diggs, but wouldn't rule it out if they felt the right deal was there.  
  6. Between Josh, McD and Beane interviews, I think it was pretty clear they have a lot of confidence in the core of Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook.  It is clear we are going after a WR in first 2 rounds, but I would not expect us to go back to back WR or take 2 early as some around here have suggested.  If we take a 2nd one, I would expect it later like rounds 4 and on.  
  7. Beane made it clear that trading back is very much in play at 28 and pointed out if they couldn't get Kincaid they had a real good trade back worked out he really liked.  
  8. Also added he would love to add someone on the DL that can contribute this season.  
    1. While he said it could be in the first, would have to see what is there at 28 in general, but went on to say he sees guys outside the first in this draft that can come in and contribute this year.

So what I came away with is that I think there is very little chance we are making a move to get MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  It was also clear it was just as unlikely we are going after someone like Aiyuk, Higgins, etc either.  And that has been my belief all along as well.  

While I wouldn't say that anything he said rules out moving up into the teens to get Thomas (like say Jags at 17), I think it's a low possibility he goes up outside the 20's.  The thing that most often stuck out was the reluctance on using high future picks to move up.  I think Beane really likes the idea of having a first and two 2nd's next year and really prefers not trading them.   And I do think that trading back is a very strong possibility for us to try and get a 3rd this year or maybe even a third 2nd for next year.

All in all this was a good listen...and Beane has a track record for being pretty straight forward and candid on these things, so I think he is shooting pretty straight with his comments like he always has. 

Great write up.  Some fans aren't listening to Beane and still think we are trading away a buttload of draft picks to move up.

I now feel almost 100% we trade back and get a 3rd rounder. I also think Franklin is their pick.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

This is an interesting point.  

I suppose one of the concerns I have is 2019, when Beane added Beasley and Brown and told us all we'd have #1 by committee.  That worked well enough to get us to 10-6 and a first round playoff exit, but it really wasn't enough, and adding Dawson Knox as a 3rd round TE pick described as "outstanding combination of measurables and traits, but he's much more moldable clay than game-ready prospect at this point" didn't add enough that year.  I don't fault Beane for drafting DL, but there were receivers available within reach for us in the 2nd round who have proven to be very very good players, AJ Brown and DK Metcalf still on the board for example.

So here we are going into a draft described as amazingly deep with WR talent, and Beane's words could translate to "First round DT it is, I'll draft a WR who has great potential late in the 2nd round or maybe in the 4th, see, we added someone!"  

Seriously, if you look at Carolina's drafts from 2011 to 2017, it's headshaking.

Thats a rather lopsided track record in Carolina. However, using the first two picks on O in 2023 gives me home he has changed to prioritize offense over defense.

To be clear, my post was not to somehow prepare for a non-WR as our top pick. I absolutely think WR should be our first pick and coming away with a player at any other position will be a disappointment irrespective of how the rest of the draft goes. I think (fervently hope?) that Beane will do a modest move up into the lower teens. I scanned what he said yesterday and its a whole lot of nothing. 

5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I now feel almost 100% we trade back and get a 3rd rounder. I also think Franklin is their pick.

Granted its just your feelings versus mine, supported by zero actual knowledge, but I think the opppsite - that Beane will trade up.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Thats a rather lopsided track record in Carolina. However, using the first two picks on O in 2023 gives me home he has changed to prioritize offense over defense.

To be clear, my post was not to somehow prepare for a non-WR as our top pick. I absolutely think WR should be our first pick and coming away with a player at any other position will be a disappointment irrespective of how the rest of the draft goes. I think (fervently hope?) that Beane will do a modest move up into the lower teens. I scanned what he said yesterday and its a whole lot of nothing. 

Granted its just your feelings versus mine, supported by zero actual knowledge, but I think the opppsite - that Beane will trade up.

Yep, just opinions my friend.  And YES, if someone is in striking distance he will possibly make a move.  But he isn't budging on next years 1st or the 2 second round picks next year

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I feel the team that developed Beane as a GM, Carolina, had a pattern to under-prioritize protecting Cam Newton and providing him with weapons, and Beane is continuing that pattern.  If you look at Carolina's drafts under Rivera (by Gurney and then Gettlemen) I find it eerily reminiscent of what Beane has done here.  When Rivera took over and Newton was drafted, the talented but ancient Steven Smith was the #1 WR, 32 yrs old; Greg Olsen was also on the roster.  They drafted WR in the 5th and 4th round the first 3 years of Newton's career, finally using a #1 pick on Fat Kelvin in his 4th year (sort of like trading for Diggs in Allen's 3rd season).  That's pretty much it until 2017, Newton's 7th season, when they drafted Christian McCaffery and Curtis Samuel.    But by then, Newton was pretty bashed up and on the downhill slide.

Yep. I have made this point multiple times. It is why I have never bought the narrative that the reason the Bills draft a lot of DL high and no receivers is because of Sean McDermott. Beane literally cut his teeth in personnel working under two GMs who had that philosophy. Is it any wonder he has followed it?

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

It was 7 years ago, but the Bills had the 10th pick in the 2017 draft and KC the 27th.  To swap picks, it cost KC their 2018 first round pick and a 3rd.

Buffalo got hosed on that trade in compensation

• Agree 2

Beane's thoughts about WR and the offense kind of reflect my own. The E-P offense they run is about route running, understanding spacing and concepts, reliability, and versatility. 

To me, the most important thing Beane said was: 

Essentially they would love to have a #1 but it is not something they need.  "In this offense, you need guys who are smart, versatile, selfless, and can make the plays that their skillset allows them to make. If it's a tall guy that Josh is going to throw a 50/50 ball, he has to come down with it. If it's a guy who want to get the ball in his hands and get some RAC, he has to do that."

That is the most telling to me. If the guy is big he has to play big. If a guy is supposed to be fast he needs to play fast. Also they aren't going to ask a slow guy to get RAC or little guys to play big. 

Gabe Davis, big, didn't play big, did not run good routes, not really versatile. Did not make plays when counted on. Gone. 

Deonte Harty, was supposed to be fast and get RAC and be a downfield threat...did none of that and he is gone. 

Diggs smart, versatile, not selfless...dogged it at times. Did not make the plays he was supposed to make as a #1. Gone. 

Smart, versatile, selfless players...guys who don't care who is getting the ball, are going to run their routes hard and be where they are supposed to be. 

Everything Beane says narrows it down in my mind. The guys who meet those criteria who will go early outside the top three are Worthy, Franklin, McConkey, and to a lesser extent Leggette. 

Thomas does play big and I can see him as a guy they like. I really like him, but I am not sure he offers what Beane is talking about. Same with Coleman and AD Mitchell, who I like. 

I am not a betting man, but I would bet on Worthy, McConkey or Franklin being their guy. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Bottom line is Beane left it open to trading up, trading down, or staying put at #28.  He's not going to telegraph a lean in any direction, as he shouldn't.

I do enjoy BB press conferences.  He enjoys talking football and the reporters do mix in some thought provoking questions that he clearly likes to break down and provide good answers.

• Like (+1) 2

Wasn't it a few years ago Beane said the Bills weren't going to be major players in FA and then they went out and signed Von Miller. I don't know what Beane is going to do at the draft. I do know he like every GM has their poker face on now so I wouldn't take what he says at face value. 

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

It was 7 years ago, but the Bills had the 10th pick in the 2017 draft and KC the 27th.  To swap picks, it cost KC their 2018 first round pick and a 3rd.

I would 100% do this for Odunze if he dropped to 8-12 range. Heck I’d give up one of next years 2nds over the 3rd.

7 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I would 100% do this for Odunze if he dropped to 8-12 range. Heck I’d give up one of next years 2nds over the 3rd.

That's good, because that certainly would be part of the cost.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That's good, because that certainly would be part of the cost.

If we could swap with Atlanta (they don’t need offense) at 8 to jump Chicago and the Jets for Odunze (I assume MHJ and Nabers are gone) I could see it costing this and I’d be on board:

Falcons receive:

pick 28 in 2024

2025 1st round

2025 2nd round

Bills receive:

8th pick in 2024 and select Odunze

This would leave us with the Texans 2nd round pick next year and all of our picks still this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

If we could swap with Atlanta (they don’t need offense) at 8 to jump Chicago and the Jets for Odunze (I assume MHJ and Nabers are gone) I could see it costing this and I’d be on board:

Falcons receive:

pick 28 in 2024

2025 1st round

2025 2nd round

Bills receive:

8th pick in 2024 and select Odunze

This would leave us with the Texans 2nd round pick next year and all of our picks still this year.

I doubt that the Falcons would be willing to move down 20 spots in the 1st round without getting something else back THIS year. My guess is that #60 this year as well as the 2025 first rounder would be a minimal starting point.

55 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Beane's thoughts about WR and the offense kind of reflect my own. The E-P offense they run is about route running, understanding spacing and concepts, reliability, and versatility. 

Essentially they would love to have a #1 but it is not something they need.  "In this offense, you need guys who are smart, versatile, selfless, and can make the plays that their skillset allows them to make. If it's a tall guy that Josh is going to throw a 50/50 ball, he has to come down with it. If it's a guy who want to get the ball in his hands and get some RAC, he has to do that."

That is the most telling to me. If the guy is big he has to play big. If a guy is supposed to be fast he needs to play fast. Also they aren't going to ask a slow guy to get RAC or little guys to play big. 

Gabe Davis, big, didn't play big, did not run good routes, not really versatile. Did not make plays when counted on. Gone. 

Deonte Harty, was supposed to be fast and get RAC and be a downfield threat...did none of that and he is gone. 

Diggs smart, versatile, not selfless...dogged it at times. Did not make the plays he was supposed to make as a #1. Gone. 

Smart, versatile, selfless players...guys who don't care who is getting the ball, are going to run their routes hard and be where they are supposed to be. 

Everything Beane says narrows it down in my mind. The guys who meet those criteria who will go early outside the top three are Worthy, Franklin, McConkey, and to a lesser extent Leggette. 

Thomas does play big and I can see him as a guy they like. I really like him, but I am not sure he offers what Beane is talking about. Same with Coleman and AD Mitchell, who I like. 

I am not a betting man, but I would bet on Worthy, McConkey or Franklin being their guy. 

I hope it's guys, not guy from your list (which i agree 100% with).

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

52 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I completely agree with that and I would also add that,  just looking at the types of early round prospects they've brought in over the last two or three years,  most fit that same basic profile.  Jordan Addison,  Tank Dell,  JSN,  Zay Flowers,  Jalin Hyatt,  John Metchie...Less emphasis on size,  more on route running potential and separation.  You could even throw in their higher profile veteran acquisitions...John Brown,  Cole Beasley,  Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders,  Deonte Harty,  and Curtis Samuel. I'm not saying they're all the same guy,  but there's a basic pattern there.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Understood on "not going to go back through", but if you have any clue about how far in it was, I'd appreciate it.

I heard a lot of "don't need a true #1" "#1 by committee" prior to the 2019 season.  Now admittedly, we upgraded our WR room with John Brown and Cole Beasley, though relative to Fat Kelvin, Bloody Zay Jones, Bob Foster, Andre Holmes, and Deonte Thompson, that was a pretty low bar to achieve.  The bottom line, though, was that when it came to the playoffs where teams had had all season to watch film on us, it simply wasn't enough and Josh Allen was throwing passes at critical junctures to Duke Williams and Pat DiMarco.

Since you and Dawg keep saying it, I went back to the presser.  Go to 12:30 10 about 13:30.    He says, yes, a true #1 is nice.  He said, "i'd like to have two."  Then he said in their offense a truee 1 isn't necessary, but he also said something like, "hey, if a #1 is available in the draft or somewhere, yes."   That's when he starts talking about needing a true one to support Josh early in his career.

It's very clear how Beane operates.  He's said often that if he can see a way to make the team better, he's going to do it.   In the presser he said if a #1 is available, he's interested.  It's the same point, and it's not surprising.  

He didn't say he didn't want a #1.   He said in this offense he doesn't need a #1, but he clearly stated that if he can get one, he's interested.  It's a completely unremarkable thing to say.   

His problem is that he doesn't have the draft capital to trade up high enough to get the stud receivers in the draft, so a #1 isn't likely.    But as I said, if the Niners aren't going to keep Aiyuk, they might find that the best they can do in a trade is a #1 this year and some other capital thrown in (just like the Diggs deal), Beane DOES have enough capital to do that.  As I've said, I'm not predicting it.  All I'm saying is that it is among the possibilities as next week unfolds. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Since you and Dawg keep saying it, I went back to the presser.  Go to 12:30 10 about 13:30.    He says, yes, a true #1 is nice.  He said, "i'd like to have two."  Then he said in their offense a truee 1 isn't necessary, but he also said something like, "hey, if a #1 is available in the draft or somewhere, yes."   That's when he starts talking about needing a true one to support Josh early in his career.

It's very clear how Beane operates.  He's said often that if he can see a way to make the team better, he's going to do it.   In the presser he said if a #1 is available, he's interested.  It's the same point, and it's not surprising.  

He didn't say he didn't want a #1.   He said in this offense he doesn't need a #1, but he clearly stated that if he can get one, he's interested.  It's a completely unremarkable thing to say.   

His problem is that he doesn't have the draft capital to trade up high enough to get the stud receivers in the draft, so a #1 isn't likely.    But as I said, if the Niners aren't going to keep Aiyuk, they might find that the best they can do in a trade is a #1 this year and some other capital thrown in (just like the Diggs deal), Beane DOES have enough capital to do that.  As I've said, I'm not predicting it.  All I'm saying is that it is among the possibilities as next week unfolds. 

Thanks, @Shaw66, appreciated. (And from the responses you're getting, you can see others appreciatecha too)

I feel the problem with trading for a player like Aiyuk is that at this point, the Bills have to be judicious about who they pay.  And it's not just the pick you give up, it's all the cap space you give up.  Diggs and Von Miller are providing Beane and Bills fans with a very visceral demonstration of what happens when a GM guesses wrong on the window for ROI re-signing a veteran player.

I do hear you that with Beane, anything can happen regardless of what he says, and he's not closing any doors.

I personally feel that Beane "did the experiment" of trying to operate the offense without a #1 in 2019, and showed that we can win the regular season that way, but in the playoffs or playing the best teams, it's not enough.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Chicago needs picks (only 4), and it’s a deep receiver class. I Think swapping 28 for 9 + the ‘25 second and a couple/three (4,5,6 round picks this year) and Knox (with a new team friendly deal) could get it done if Odunze slips to 9.  

vet TE who worked with a developing Josh Allen could be a nice security blanket for their new rookie QB.

• Agree 1

Just watched the presser. My two cents:

-“I haven’t called them” has an implicit part: “…about moving into the top 10.” But he also suggested that he will be calling them next week. So what does that tell us? Not much. My guess is that if he thinks all of the top 3 can have a Jamarr Chase like impact as a rookie, Beane will be willing to pay the steep price to move up for whichever one goes third - ESPECIALLY if that guy drops out of the top 10. I agree with others that part of what he’s doing here is managing fan/media expectations. I doubt that Beane thinks we’re truly “1 player away” right now. So I don’t think he’ll do a full mortgage type deal to get up to 7 or 8. 

-A smaller move up for BT Jr wouldn’t be surprising, but I don’t expect it. Obviously depends on their grades. If he’s way above the rest of Tier 2, that obviously makes a difference. I think it’s more likely that they move up 1-3 spots for a Tier 2 guy they like significantly more than the rest of the pack. No idea who that would be. 

-Conversely, if they have similar grades for all the Tier 2 guys, a trade back would make a lot of sense. Probably for a mid-high 2 and a 3. I don’t expect this. The way Beane was talking about what they look for in WRs, I thinks they’ll have probably 1-2 guys in a Tier that they like way better than the rest of that Tier. 

-Agree with Gunner that they’re happy with outside CB in terms of high picks. I don’t see them drafting one before the 4th. 

-I continue to think that Beane doesn’t go into the draft with a specific plan. Meaning like, “I’m trading up for Nabors, then taking a safety with my next pick, then fill holes with my remaining picks.” I do think he goes in with preference, and with various possibilities outlined in advance. But the story is written real-time during the draft, so he doesn’t try to go in with a pre-written story. It’s more of an improv exercise than a writing exercise, if that makes sense. If I’m right, then even Beane doesn’t know what he’s going to do yet. And as a side note, I think this is the right way to approach the draft. 

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Dawg - My interpretation of what he said about his different from yours.   I'm not predicting a move to get one of those guys, but I don't think he suggested he wouldn't do it.  

As you say, he did say that when he made the deal for Diggs, he was looking for help for Allen, because Brown and Beasley couldn't carry the offense.  And yes, he said that he doesn't have to make a move like that now, because Allen has progressed.  But he also didn't say, and I don't think he implied, that he wouldn't acquire a receiver by trading a draft pick.

He also was clear that he'd like to have a true number 1 guy.   He just said that the Bills no longer need the guy to support Allen in that way.  

Beyond that, it's clear that he intends to add to the receiver room.   From that, I think the correct conclusion is that Beane is going to do what he's always done - survey the options and make a decision.   Just as he did with Diggs, if the best option is to package his first with other assets to get a proven wide out, he'll do it.   He might trade up, he might stick, he might trade down, and he might get his receiver by making a deal. 

If the 49ers are listening to trade offers, they may be finding that they can't get the compensation they hoped (because of what it will cost for his new team to keep him), they might like the idea of getting a first round pick and moving Aiyuk out of the NFC.   If that's the conclusion they're coming to, I don't think Beane said anything today that would preclude his making a move with them.  

As always, great post