OJ Simpson dead at 76

Bigvinny

25 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Fwiw it’s being reported by at least one major news outlet that OJ had left specific instructions on what to do with his remains and his brain will not be donated for CTE research. 

Yup getting cremated in tact

Executor of O.J. Simpson's estate plans to fight payout to the families of Brown and Goldman (yahoo.com)

LaVergne, who had represented Simpson since 2009, said he specifically didn't want the Goldman family seeing any money from Simpson’s estate.

“It’s my hope that the Goldmans get zero, nothing,” he told the Review-Journal. “Them specifically. And I will do everything in my capacity as the executor or personal representative to try and ensure that they get nothing.”

The will lists his four children and notes that any beneficiary who seeks to challenge provisions of the will “shall receive, free of trust, one dollar ($1.00) and no more in lieu of any claimed interest in this will or its assets.”

• Awesome! (+1) 1

And of course, the infamous White Ford Bronco. What became of it? Read on.....

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-moment-oj-simpson-made-the-ford-bronco-the-most-hated-car-in-the-world-232289.html

The following line near the end of the article is actually disputed in another article claiming the incident wasn't the reason for discontinuing the Bronco and that sales actually spiked for a couple years after the trial.

"Ford discontinued the Bronco after the trial due to the sales figures collapsing. Ford always denied that their decision had any connection with the murder case."

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-moment-oj-simpson-made-the-ford-bronco-the-most-hated-car-in-the-world-232289.html

The following line near the end of the article is actually disputed in another article claiming the incident wasn't the reason for discontinuing the Bronco and that sales actually spiked for a couple years after the trial.

"Ford discontinued the Bronco after the trial due to the sales figures collapsing. Ford always denied that their decision had any connection with the murder case."

Clearly they should have stopped the manufacture of all white vehicles as well. 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

You can’t leave out the jury. That group is fascinating to me. Wonder if any of them have commented on his death. 

If a juror admitted that their judgement was based on anything other than their unbiased understanding of the evidence presented, they are committing a felony. This isn’t Nam. 

Again, I actually think he didn’t do it, but I think he knew exactly what happened. 

I think of it in simple(r) terms, and the docu series kinda broke it down in the same way; it came down to the shriveled glove.

1 minute ago, TheCockSportif said:

I think of it in simple(r) terms, and the docu series kinda broke it down in the same way; it came down to the shriveled glove.

Were you around during the trial? I swear, I remember thinking the glove moment was such a joke. I felt like nobody could possibly believe for a second that OJ didn’t manipulate his hand and the glove. 

1. Who wouldn’t if they were in his Bruno Magli’s?! What idiot is going to gleeful slip on the evidence.. hahahaha. Preposterous!! 

2. He didn’t give a ***** about trying on the glove that the killer wore to squeeze the knife that killed his ex. Man, if anyone needs anymore evidence that he is deranged.. there you go.

So I question that juror’s claim, or the attempt of that 30for30 to cover the juror’s asses.

Makes way more sense that that juror took it out on the LAPD. It was a wild WILD time in LA for law enforcement back then. The mini series about the Biggie investigation, with the guy from The Wire, is a nice look into LA LE in the 90s. 

2 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Were you around during the trial? I swear, I remember thinking the glove moment was such a joke. I felt like nobody could possibly believe for a second that OJ didn’t manipulate his hand and the glove. 

I was definitely around during the trial, both in WNY (finishing up at UB) and watching it with a perverse curiosity.  I loved watching OJ play football.  He was a great PR guy and a pretty funny fall guy in the Naked Gun.  I couldn't help but watch.

It wasn't just the glove didn't fit, given my recollection; it was the look on OJ's face and his mannerisms that totally sold that moment.

Around the jury, I'm wondering if the previous LA riots played a role in their decision, but admittedly this is just conjecture on my part.

6 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

1. Who wouldn’t if they were in his Bruno Magli’s?! What idiot is going to gleeful slip on the evidence.. hahahaha. Preposterous!! 

2. He didn’t give a ***** about trying on the glove that the killer wore to squeeze the knife that killed his ex. Man, if anyone needs anymore evidence that he is deranged.. there you go.

So I question that juror’s claim, or the attempt of that 30for30 to cover the juror’s asses.

Makes way more sense that that juror took it out on the LAPD. It was a wild WILD time in LA for law enforcement back then. The mini series about the Biggie investigation, with the guy from The Wire, is a nice look into LA LE in the 90s. 

That trial is right up there with the non-existent DPI call that would have sent the Saints to the Super Bowl.  Some things are in a class of their own.  That investigation/trial was a mess, and it wasn’t just one moment. It was a start to finish slow motion train wreck. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Seinfeld knocked this out of the park :D

• Agree 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:08 AM, Sweats said:

Think of him what you will, but the legal system found him innocent. That's not to say the legal system is not broken, however, he was judged by a jury of his peers and was found not guilty......i, however, think he's guilty as hell, but i was not on the jury panel, i only heard what the media expressed for the trial and did not have to make the decision of innocent or guilty. 

Now, OJ may have been found innocent in the eyes of the law, but he was definitely found guilty in public opinion. 

it’s so important not to use not guilty and innocent interchangeably

On 4/11/2024 at 10:50 AM, Roundybout said:

Odds of a deathbed confession?

It seems there is an NDA in place...

OJ Simpson's loved ones signed NDA while on he was on deathbed in his final days: report (nypost.com)

The outlet’s source revealed that anyone who was around Simpson while he was under hospice care also was required to sign the NDA — including medical professionals.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone outraged by Blacks’ reaction to the verdict needs to look at American history.  How would you feel if you had witnessed whites being acquitted of murder by all-white juries  hundreds, if not thousands of times - Emmett Till, Medger Evers, the list goes on and on - when obviously guilty.  The OJ trial didn’t expose the American system of justice.  It just exposed it to a different set of people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 4/11/2024 at 11:33 AM, mannc said:

Semantics.  What is the practical difference? Under our system, “not guilty” is the only available “vindication” for someone wrongly accused of a crime. No one has ever been found “innocent”.

not true.  evidence (video, DNA for example) can establish actual innocence...

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

not true.  evidence (video, DNA for example) can establish actual innocence...

That is true, as I noted in a subsequent post, but a jury cannot make such a finding.

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

That is true, as I noted in a subsequent post, but a jury cannot make such a finding.

not by a jury, no.

But the above examples would be presented in court during trial or even years later.  Charges are dropped or sentences vacated after being proven in court to be actually innocent.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

not by a jury, no.

But the above examples would be presented in court during trial or even years later.  Charges are dropped or sentences vacated after being proven in court to be actually innocent.

Typically, such evidence would be presented to an appellate court…

22 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I recall reading in multiple books regarding the case that there were two white Ford Broncos.  The one Simpson was in possession of was actually owned by Hertz, and was the vehicle found parked outside of the Rockingham house by police when they arrived to inform Simpson of his wife's death.  That Bronco was supposedly exhibiting evidence of blood on the interior, which prompted police to impound it.

The other white Bronco was indeed under the care and control of Al Cowlings, but I do not recall if he owned it, leased it, or had some deal with a rental company or car dealership over using it.  This was the vehicle involved in Simpson's flight and low speed chase.  The article's author might want to check this, but it's the internet.  The facts aren't important. 🤨

"O.J.’s Bronco — the one parked outside his house, with the blood, had the license plate number 3CWZ788. Jeffrey Toobin’s “The Run of His Life,” which inspired the FX miniseries, tells us that Cowlings’ Bronco had the license plate number 3DHY503. The Bronco featured in the miniseries has a different license number to either Simpson’s or Cowlings’ Broncos, because it’s Hollywood.

Toobin’s book also reports that when detectives first checked the plates for Simpson’s Bronco, on the night of the killings, “they came back to the Hertz Corporation, whose products Simpson had long endorsed.” Additionally, the real-life witness on the show who saw the Bronco racing from the direction of the murder scene on the night of the murders remembered the license number, though she was slightly off."

- From the article 'OJ Fact Check: Two White Broncos?', by Tim Molloy, The Wrap, February 9, 2016.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I recall reading in multiple books regarding the case that there were two white Ford Broncos.  The one Simpson was in possession of was actually owned by Hertz, and was the vehicle found parked outside of the Rockingham house by police when they arrived to inform Simpson of his wife's death.  That Bronco was supposedly exhibiting evidence of blood on the interior, which prompted police to impound it.

The other white Bronco was indeed under the care and control of Al Cowlings, but I do not recall if he owned it, leased it, or had some deal with a rental company or car dealership over using it.  This was the vehicle involved in Simpson's flight and low speed chase.  The article's author might want to check this, but it's the internet.  The facts aren't important. 🤨

"O.J.’s Bronco — the one parked outside his house, with the blood, had the license plate number 3CWZ788. Jeffrey Toobin’s “The Run of His Life,” which inspired the FX miniseries, tells us that Cowlings’ Bronco had the license plate number 3DHY503. The Bronco featured in the miniseries has a different license number to either Simpson’s or Cowlings’ Broncos, because it’s Hollywood.

Toobin’s book also reports that when detectives first checked the plates for Simpson’s Bronco, on the night of the killings, “they came back to the Hertz Corporation, whose products Simpson had long endorsed.” Additionally, the real-life witness on the show who saw the Bronco racing from the direction of the murder scene on the night of the murders remembered the license number, though she was slightly off."

- From the article 'OJ Fact Check: Two White Broncos?', by Tim Molloy, The Wrap, February 9, 2016.

I read Toobin’s book over the weekend and it definitely has some interesting info about the pre-trial focus group data the prosecution was offered during jury selection - but disregarded because of their perceived strength of the physical evidence they were planning to show - especially with regard to prospective Black female jurors, like:

- Believing that Simpson was less likely to have killed his wife because he excelled at football

-That it’s generally okay for a husband to hit his wife during arguments

-Very little sympathy for Simpson’s slain wife, who was white and blonde

-An extreme and even visceral hatred for lead prosecutor Marcia Clark

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 4/12/2024 at 6:30 PM, TheCockSportif said:

During the machinations of OJ's criminal trial, I was dating a wildly inappropriate woman -- which tracks, because at the time I was also wildly inappropriate.  Everybody hated everybody so there was parity.

I happened to snark on dinner night (one night, with her family) that OJ would have his charges reduced to a noisy muffler infraction, and a short time later, there we were.  I was wrong in premise, but I was also right that literally zero would happen to him in that criminal trial.

The judge was an attention seeker, the lead detective an avowed racist, the assistant DA a (former?) stripper (that was real, right?), Kato, useless witnesses, a circus of a trial, a glove did not fit, and jeez, like so many others I came to understand that OJ had literally gotten away with not one, but two -- TWO! -- murders.

Also, I think OJ's less famous lawyer, Barry Sheck, convinced the juror that a lot of the forensic evidence wasn't credible.  

And while some might dispute Sheck's forensic competency, let's remember he was performing for a juror that did not think police officers or forensic experts were particularly credible in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Amazing that our 1st ever HOFer has been dead almost a week and still no word from the team. My! How the mighty have fallen!

They should have written a quick thing at least about his football in Buffalo and his trade to the 49ers

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

They should have written a quick thing at least about his football in Buffalo and his trade to the 49ers

I don’t disagree, but either way they were going to lose. That’s just how it works. Someone will find a way……. 🤷‍♂️

All i know is when that white Ford Bronco was involved in that low-speed chase with every cop in L.A. following him, that was some of the best television i have seen in years.

In fact, i remember that me, my wife and my buddies were crowded around the t.v. just waiting for anything to happen. We drank beer all evening and ordered pizza and when the pizza guy showed up, he knew exactly what we were doing cause everyone in town was ordering pizza and glued to the television.

I was really hoping for a shootout.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DJB said:

I had no idea that TBD had so many lawyers, judges and forensic analysts that posted on here 

We are also experts in stadium engineering/construction, sales techniques, and contract law. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

7 hours ago, Sweats said:

All i know is when that white Ford Bronco was involved in that low-speed chase with every cop in L.A. following him, that was some of the best television i have seen in years.

In fact, i remember that me, my wife and my buddies were crowded around the t.v. just waiting for anything to happen. We drank beer all evening and ordered pizza and when the pizza guy showed up, he knew exactly what we were doing cause everyone in town was ordering pizza and glued to the television.

I was really hoping for a shootout.....

I was in Boston with my wife and got together with an old friend for dinner with our wives. We were at some revolving rooftop restaurant of a hotel. We watched at their place before going out, then kept asking the waitress for updates. We ended up in the kitchen of this restaurant watching on a 10” TV. Surreal memory. 

It was one of those “where were you when?” situations. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

@Chandler#81

I was reliving that on a text thread with two other Bills fans, one of whom was the guy at the restaurant with me that night. The other guy I’ve never met in person, but they are super close friends. The third guy had a similar experience watching in a restaurant on TV, until the whole thing rolled right past his restaurant in LA. Everyone there had been watching on TV then they realized where it was going. They all lined up against the windows as OJ rolled by right past them. 

That was a very cool one up.  😋

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

We are also experts in stadium engineering/construction, sales techniques, and contract law. 

Don’t forget economics, buyer psychology, football fan rights and being  condescending. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2024 at 10:36 PM, WotAGuy said:

“Not convicted” is probably most accurate in this case. 

The phrase “not guilty” in a criminal trial is confusing and many don’t know what it actually means because those two words seems to indicate innocent.  It needs more context, specifically that you are required to assume the defendant is innocent unless the prosecution shows enough evidence to confirm they are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.   In OJs case I think the jury decided reasonable doubt was that the police were raciat and could have planted the evidence.  The evidence was damning but they were able to show blood was missing or unaccounted for and it could have been used to plant evidence.  

If anyone wants our cares anymore, there has been a lot on tv about the case since oj dropped dead. I was watching one where the lead investigator and the M.e. Walked you thru the evidence that WASAN’T presented at trial. Things they were wanting Clark to bring out and telling her to in some instances. Even things that would have countered the police were biased or framing oj. 

The bottom line is the guy did it and got away with it.

He went there to kill her and Ron came in at the wrong time. Ron fought like hell and lost.

I feel for the Goldman family and now oj’s lawyers who will be the executor of the will is trying to crap on them. Thankfully the courts will prevent that!