New Buscaglia mock has Bills trading up to 7 for Malik Nabers

Logic

1 hour ago, Logic said:

For those who don't want to pay the totally-worth-it $1.99 per month to subscribe to the Athletic (can you even get a pack of gum for that any more?), here's Joe Buscaglia's latest 7 round Bills mock draft. I gotta say, if this happened, I might cry tears of joy.

https://theathletic.com/5391796/2024/04/05/buffalo-bills-mock-draft-stefon-diggs-trade/

TRADE!

Tennessee Titans trade Nos. 7, 182 to Bills for Nos. 28, 60, 133 and 2025 1st

The pick at No. 7: Bills – Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

I continue to believe that anything, including a move like this one on draft day, is a real possibility for the Bills. Beane has long been an aggressive draft-day trader when he’s excited about a prospect and how he’d fit their system. Now, with a gaping hole for a top target at wide receiver and where the Bills are in their build, this is the type of move Beane could rationalize as one that puts them over the top for the foreseeable future.

The cost of doing business might be high for some, which is understandable. I’m sure it will evoke memories of the Bills’ move up the board to take Sammy Watkins in 2014. But this is an entirely different situation from 2014 — almost comically so. Back then, it was the desperate move of a franchise hoping Watkins would help EJ Manuel become the franchise quarterback while blatantly ignoring several warning signs he was not that player. Now, there’s nothing for their quarterback to prove. The Bills have one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Josh Allen, a still-talented roster around him, and a pretty good idea that they’ll be pushing for the playoffs at the very least in 2024.

By arming him with a young receiver with elite potential on a rookie deal for the next four years, it gives the Bills a lot of flexibility for how they spend through the duration of the receiver’s rookie deal. I’d liken this move more to the one the Atlanta Falcons made in 2011 to fly up the board and select Julio Jones, already with a top quarterback in Matt Ryan in place. They certainly didn’t regret that trade for a second.

The recent trade of Diggs, and acquiring the Vikings’ 2025 2nd from the Texans, could empower Beane to make a stark move up the board like this one, too. With an extremely unsettled quarterback room — either starting journeyman backup Sam Darnold or a rookie — that pick has a good chance of turning into an early second-round selection. If that does happen, the Bills could easily get themselves back at the end of the first round next year, or just view their early second-round pick as their first-round pick replacement for dealing it away to get a potential game-changing receiver. For the right player, Beane will move a first-round pick.

Is Nabers worth this type of move? In a more standard draft year, Nabers would easily be the best receiver prospect by a wide margin and likely one of the first players selected. He is outrageously talented and smooth, with the explosiveness to win however the Bills ask him to. The separation is effortless whether he’s at X, Z or slot and he gets the defender to bite at his breakdown constantly. He can win with physicality or speed and will eat cushion from off-defenders alive. Nabers has excellent, crisp footwork, and his contested catch concentration is simply outstanding. On top of it all, he can be a monster with yards after the catch, either using physicality to drag defenders or his 4.35 speed to blow up a play.

Nabers has all the potential to be a star in the NFL, and with one of the league’s best quarterbacks in Allen, it increases that likelihood by a large margin. Nabers is worth the hype. But would he make everyone forget about the price tag? It certainly looks like he has all the potential to do so. And with the Bills looking like they’ll have cap space to work with in 2025, it could be the catalyst to another push toward the top of the AFC.

Rest of draft:

image.thumb.png.d1bc50c147af37213909d6f744c3c5ff.png

I like this kid alot. He can rip and make stuff happen with the ball in his hands.

• Agree 1

Just now, CaptnCoke11 said:

You have no idea where he will drifted 

Thanks Capt wanna bet me that he goes before 128? 6’2 safeties with coverage skills that run 4.4 and jump 39 inches don’t last until the beginning of round 5 

• Agree 1

that would be fantastic to land Nabers.  Also, as the article indicates, trading our 2025 1st isn't a huge deal if we get a guy like Nabers and do well, it's basically like our second from Minn, which should be a high pick.  

I'm not so great with this.  I feel it's too much.  Move up to the teens and take someone falling like Thomas Jr. Or AD Mitchell that Greg Cossell said can become thar X guy for you in the next year. 

We need picks to put some guys on D who can seal the deal against KC and Cincinnati,as well as WR. Grab McCaffrey in round 4 to add another weapon as well.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I'm not so great with this.  I feel it's too much.  Move up to the teens and take someone falling like Thomas Jr. Or AD Mitchell that Greg Cossell said can become thar X guy for you in the next year. 

We need picks to put some guys on D who can seal the deal against KC and Cincinnati,as well as WR. Grab McCaffrey in round 4 to add another weapon as well.

Forget the Defense.  We've had top 3 D's and been shredded when it matters by KC / CIN

Get players on O who can't be stopped 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RyanC883 said:

although, I'm not sure I'd take Nabers over Odunze, who is 6'3", has a better contested catch percentage, and was a state champ in the 200m.  Nabers contested catch % is in the 50s.  

Counter: Nabers rarely has to make contested catches because he separates with his insane stop start acceleration and 4.35 speed that looks more like 4.27 on highlights

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

You definitely don't trade up to take AD and I probably wouldn't trade up to take Thomas either.  Nabers is as close as a sure thing in the draft, while AD and Thomas are not even close 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

For those who don't want to pay the totally-worth-it $1.99 per month to subscribe to the Athletic (can you even get a pack of gum for that any more?), here's Joe Buscaglia's latest 7 round Bills mock draft. I gotta say, if this happened, I might cry tears of joy.

https://theathletic.com/5391796/2024/04/05/buffalo-bills-mock-draft-stefon-diggs-trade/

TRADE!

I continue to believe that anything, including a move like this one on draft day, is a real possibility for the Bills. Beane has long been an aggressive draft-day trader when he’s excited about a prospect and how he’d fit their system. Now, with a gaping hole for a top target at wide receiver and where the Bills are in their build, this is the type of move Beane could rationalize as one that puts them over the top for the foreseeable future.

The cost of doing business might be high for some, which is understandable. I’m sure it will evoke memories of the Bills’ move up the board to take Sammy Watkins in 2014. But this is an entirely different situation from 2014 — almost comically so. Back then, it was the desperate move of a franchise hoping Watkins would help EJ Manuel become the franchise quarterback while blatantly ignoring several warning signs he was not that player. Now, there’s nothing for their quarterback to prove. The Bills have one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Josh Allen, a still-talented roster around him, and a pretty good idea that they’ll be pushing for the playoffs at the very least in 2024.

By arming him with a young receiver with elite potential on a rookie deal for the next four years, it gives the Bills a lot of flexibility for how they spend through the duration of the receiver’s rookie deal. I’d liken this move more to the one the Atlanta Falcons made in 2011 to fly up the board and select Julio Jones, already with a top quarterback in Matt Ryan in place. They certainly didn’t regret that trade for a second.

The recent trade of Diggs, and acquiring the Vikings’ 2025 2nd from the Texans, could empower Beane to make a stark move up the board like this one, too. With an extremely unsettled quarterback room — either starting journeyman backup Sam Darnold or a rookie — that pick has a good chance of turning into an early second-round selection. If that does happen, the Bills could easily get themselves back at the end of the first round next year, or just view their early second-round pick as their first-round pick replacement for dealing it away to get a potential game-changing receiver. For the right player, Beane will move a first-round pick.

Is Nabers worth this type of move? In a more standard draft year, Nabers would easily be the best receiver prospect by a wide margin and likely one of the first players selected. He is outrageously talented and smooth, with the explosiveness to win however the Bills ask him to. The separation is effortless whether he’s at X, Z or slot and he gets the defender to bite at his breakdown constantly. He can win with physicality or speed and will eat cushion from off-defenders alive. Nabers has excellent, crisp footwork, and his contested catch concentration is simply outstanding. On top of it all, he can be a monster with yards after the catch, either using physicality to drag defenders or his 4.35 speed to blow up a play.

Nabers has all the potential to be a star in the NFL, and with one of the league’s best quarterbacks in Allen, it increases that likelihood by a large margin. Nabers is worth the hype. But would he make everyone forget about the price tag? It certainly looks like he has all the potential to do so. And with the Bills looking like they’ll have cap space to work with in 2025, it could be the catalyst to another push toward the top of the AFC.

Rest of draft:

The problem with this scenario is that he has the Chargers taking on offensive lineman while their elite qb has no receivers to throw to. It strikes me as completely implausible as a consequence.

• Agree 1

MHJ nabers and odunze are the only players for whom a trade-up makes sense. Even so, if we do so and they are not perennial elite NFL WRs and quickly, we've mortgaged some serious draft capital with implications. It's a real risk.

IMO the biggest takeaway here might be that Joe B is usually pretty informed when it comes to players the Bills are really high on / targeting 

He must know/believe a trade into the Top 10 is being seriously considered.  

He really never makes bold predictions in mocks/signings/roster moves unless he knows something 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

TRADE!

Rest of draft:

Don’t like it no Michigan olinemen in the middle rounds for Kromer to develop 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I understand your point of view.

Personally, I think we've seen what it's like to have a bunch of good to above average players and not enough GREAT players on the roster. It gets us to the Divisional round, and then we lose to a team with more GREAT players.

Me? I want more GREAT players around Josh Allen, and Nabers has the potential for greatness.

Give me one elite, blue chip playmaker with the potential for GREATNESS over a handful of potentially GOOD players, all day long and twice on Sundays.

Agree with wanting great players over good.  I think Nabers or Odunze will be elite, and would love one of them.  On the other hand, if we can't do it, Mitchell is also great.  He has 4 TDs in the CBF for 2 different teams (Texas and Georgia), so he shows up when you really need him, unlike Diggs.  Double dipping Mitchell and Franklin or Legette could net two great WRs.  Although I'd love a Nabers/Odunze and Washington (WR-VA) combo as well.  

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO the biggest takeaway here might be that Joe B is usually pretty informed when it comes to players the Bills are really high on / targeting 

He must know/believe a trade into the Top 10 is being seriously considered.  

He really never makes bold predictions in mocks/signings/roster moves unless he knows something 

dude, getting our hopes up! 

Just now, RyanC883 said:

Agree with wanting great players over good.  I think Nabers or Odunze will be elite, and would love one of them.  On the other hand, if we can't do it, Mitchell is also great.  He has 4 TDs in the CBF for 2 different teams (Texas and Georgia), so he shows up when you really need him, unlike Diggs.  Double dipping Mitchell and Franklin or Legette could net two great WRs.  Although I'd love a Nabers/Odunze and Washington (WR-VA) combo as well.  

dude, getting our hopes up! 

it's true though, he always leans on the conservative side with these types of things...so this is noteworthy 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The problem with this scenario is that he has the Chargers taking on offensive lineman while their elite qb has no receivers to throw to. It strikes me as completely implausible as a consequence.

Even with no WR I believe Vegas betting odds have LAC taking the top Tackle available so definitely plausible. That is a big need too especially with Harbaugh/Roman bringing their ball control offense to So. Cal. 

Regardless I was very against using next years 1st to move up into the top 10. Getting a likely high 2nd from Min via Houston paying the price for MH/Nabers/Odunze, and also freeing up 27 million next year to spend in FA allowing to fill the 25 1rd pick does make it a much more viable option. The price JB purposed in his mock seems fair and I would be good with it.  

Edited by LLCoolCy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

MHJ nabers and odunze are the only players for whom a trade-up makes sense. Even so, if we do so and they are not perennial elite NFL WRs and quickly, we've mortgaged some serious draft capital with implications. It's a real risk.

It is a risk indeed. I love the draft and have never felt strongly about trading up but for a QB. That said, the path we have been on hasn’t resulted in a SB win. I’ve found myself wishing the Bills would jump up and get one of these top guys. Obviously it would take a lot more than one more player to win a SB, but I guess I’m ready for the team to try something new and drastic and see what happens. 

PS Praying for MHJ… pipe dream, but damn… what a dream…

ALLEN TO HARRISON FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!!

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I hear you, but also...

Jim Harbaugh. Greg Roman.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them take a top tackle and get a receiver later. The coach and OC both strike me as old school "trenches before weapons" guys.

Doug Whaley says, think twice...  Seriously,  why not do what we did to get Diggs? The low first rounder should be enough to get a proven vet #1 instead of giving up another pick in order to try to get the unknown rookie who might,  just might,  be a generational talent...

What were the warning signs with Sammy Watkins? I just remember him being seen as a great prospect, one of the best receiver prospects in a long time.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I personally do not want AD Mitchell. He is overrated, in my opinion. And he apparently takes plays off and has motivation issues.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

What were the warning signs with Sammy Watkins? I just remember him being seen as a great prospect, one of the best receiver prospects in a long

Not a knock on Sammy specifically.  My point is that we could have had Kelvin Benjamin! errr.... I mean,  Davante Adams... OR.... Jordan Matthew's, Jarvis Landry,  Allen Robinson.   But we threw in picks to get up to Watkins/ Mike Evans / OBJ territory and struck out.  Rather than either of those scenarios,  I'd rather trade the mid to low first rounder for a proven commodity. Who would that have been in 2014? I don’t know. Not sure if the right guy exists this year either,  but it would be my preference if possible. 

1 minute ago, wakingfane said:

Not a knock on Sammy specifically.  My point is that we could have had Kelvin Benjamin! errr.... I mean,  Davante Adams... OR.... Jordan Matthew's, Jarvis Landry,  Allen Robinson.   But we threw in picks to get up to Watkins/ Mike Evans / OBJ territory and struck out.  Rather than either of those scenarios,  I'd rather trade the mid to low first rounder for a proven commodity. Who would that have been in 2014? I don’t know. Not sure if the right guy exists this year either,  but it would be my preference if possible. 

Well it is no doubt that it didn't work out and that there were multiple guys that would have been better. But I just remember Watkins had a TON of hype. People were pretty convinced that he would be great, and not just Bills fans. Everyone.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not to pour water on this campfire, but Nabers was "live" on his social media yesterday after his visit with the Chargers  in LA talking to a realtor and viewing the ocean from a spectacular patio 

Soooo. We can just show him pictures of a Buffalo snow storm and let him decide

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, wakingfane said:

Doug Whaley says, think twice...  Seriously,  why not do what we did to get Diggs? The low first rounder should be enough to get a proven vet #1 instead of giving up another pick in order to try to get the unknown rookie who might,  just might,  be a generational talent...

It's Capology.

When we traded for Diggs, we had a QB on a rookie contract and an improved WR corps where trying "#1 by committee" had fallen short.  We needed to draft and develop, or sign, a #1 talent.  It made sense to spend some of the cap money we had due to cheap QB, LT, and #1 CB contracts on a canny vet WR who could help develop our QB.

Now, we're paying our QB, an aging DE who hasn't given us ROI to date, LT, LB, DT and we'll probably pick up Rousseau's 5th year option.  It doesn't make sense to pick up a huge WR contract.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, wakingfane said:

It’s not so much I didn’t like Sammy he was a great prospect but he was either a screen or deep shot guy. 

I have been wrong a lot but one of the reports I pride myself on was I called Hopkins the better prospect because he was a more complete WR who didn’t have the elite traits Watkins did 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Forget the Defense.  We've had top 3 D's and been shredded when it matters by KC / CIN

Get players on O who can't be stopped 

Can’t totally neglect the defense. Mahomes doesn’t win 3, let alone ONE SB if his defense hadn’t stepped up and made a big time play in a big moment. They’ve done it every single year, going back to their first SB, their comeback against the 49ers. Buffalo’s defense hasn’t stepped up when it’s needed most, but that doesn’t mean it should be neglected. 

44 minutes ago, MJS said:

I personally do not want AD Mitchell. He is overrated, in my opinion. And he apparently takes plays off and has motivation issues.

Agree. I don't want us to draft Mitchell Worthy or Coleman. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, wakingfane said:

Beane would need to fit that WR under the cap not impossible but need to be less than 10mil. Really that would only be Aiyuk in my mind since he's on his rookie contract but will be looking for 30ish Million per next year. There are a number of 1 WR types going to be FA next year too. Bill's have Diggs money next year to use on a FA then so they could easily fill then need then if the rookie this year doesn't work.  

The quandary is, trade up giving #28 and next years late 1st for cost controlled big 3 or trade for Aiyuk with #28 and pay top of the market the next 4 years. It is hard to pay top dollar to your WR and QB on offense and I suspect BB would prefer having a WR on their Rookie contract at a 1/3 the cost. 

16 minutes ago, LLCoolCy said:

Beane would need to fit that WR under the cap not impossible but need to be less than 10mil. Really that would only be Aiyuk in my mind since he's on his rookie contract but will be looking for 30ish Million per next year. There are a number of 1 WR types going to be FA next year too. Bill's have Diggs money next year to use on a FA then so they could easily fill then need then if the rookie this year doesn't work.  

The quandary is, trade up giving #28 and next years late 1st for cost controlled big 3 or trade for Aiyuk with #28 and pay top of the market the next 4 years. It is hard to pay top dollar to your WR and QB on offense and I suspect BB would prefer having a WR on their Rookie contract at a 1/3 the cost. 

Good points.  Weighing salary vs. pick values... if the proven vet options are too expensive,  I think I'd like to get a WR in the high 2nd round this year,  rather than sit tight or trade up. 

Edited by wakingfane

I love all three of those top WR's... But I would be massively pissed if they did this... They better win a SB fast if they make a move like that... I'm never, ever in favor of trades like that... Especially in this Draft where there is so much talent in that 2nd and 3rd tier at WR... Hypothetically, the Bills could trade down, get a 3rd round pick back, then move up from 60 and end up with two from a group of Mitchell, McConkey, Legette, Franklin, Pearsall, Wilson, Coleman, Worthy, Polk, and Baker depending on who comes off the board and where. I get that the Bills may not have some of those WR's rated as high as others, but that's a pretty large bunch that are graded right around the late 1st till the early 2nd... Heck... Stay at 28 then move up from 60... Give me Legette and Wilson... I think that's better than giving up the world for one of those top 3 any day... But who knows... B-)