Michigan getting ready to set the draft record

ESPNs latest 7 round mock draft has 16 Wolverines being selected this braking the previous record of the Joe Burrow LSU team and I admit there is some guys here who’d I love in Buffalo to add especially some of those day 3 guys 

1st Round: JJ McCarthy to Denver 

2nd Round: WR Roman Wilson, DB Mikey Sanristill, and DT Kris Jenkins 

3rd Round: LB Junior Colson and OL Zach Zinter

4th Round: RB Blake Corum 

6th Round: DL Braedon McGregor, OLDrake Nugent, OL Trevor Keegan, LB Michael Barrett, WR Cornelius Johnson , LB Jalen Harrell, and Trent Jones OL 

7th Round: OL Ladarius Henderson and TE KJ Barner

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What is your opinion on Roman Wilson?

He has some talent but I think he has been slightly overhyped by some in the process. He is very quick, but for someone with so much speed he isn't open as often as he should be and the reason is he is not a good route runner - often imprecise and gives up leverage willingly. I think some of that is coachable, and there has been some improvement in his hands but he is early 3rd round in terms of grade for me. He is in a little cluster with Ricky Pearsall and Javon Baker for me in my kind of 4th tier of receivers (would be a 3rd tier in most drafts) and I think I like him the least of those 3. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He has some talent but I think he has been slightly overhyped by some in the process. He is very quick, but for someone with so much speed he isn't open as often as he should be and the reason is he is not a good route runner - often imprecise and gives up leverage willingly. I think some of that is coachable, and there has been some improvement in his hands but he is early 3rd round in terms of grade for me. He is in a little cluster with Ricky Pearsall and Javon Baker for me in my kind of 4th tier of receivers (would be a 3rd tier in most drafts) and I think I like him the least of those 3. 

I follow Michigan football. This is spot on re Wilson.

I have been surprised by the hype, but maybe that’s what happens when you win the championship.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Gonna be a crazy, wild draft at WR when we look back in 5 years. So many WRs with talent that need to improve - or are permanently deficient - in one or more areas of their game. So many factors - development, talent, role, work ethic, QB, etc. - at play regarding each of their successes or failures. There are going to be a lot of GMs lauded and others taking real heat over this one. Just have to hope we take a good shot and hit. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Gonna be a crazy, wild draft at WR when we look back in 5 years. So many WRs with talent that need to improve - or are permanently deficient - in one or more areas of their game. So many factors - development, talent, role, work ethic, QB, etc. - at play regarding each of their successes or failures. There are going to be a lot of GMs lauded and others taking real heat over this one. Just have to hope we take a good shot and hit. 

I feel the same way about this years QB class. To me it looks iffy. Outside of Williams and possibly Maye, the rest don’t seem like first round picks.

But I’m usually wrong predicting talent so take it with a grain of salt. Lol

I leave it up to the people on this board though who have better track records than me. 👍🏻

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I follow Michigan football. This is spot on re Wilson.

I have been surprised by the hype, but maybe that’s what happens when you win the championship.  

A lot of the hype happened after the Senior Bowl, where Wilson was beating guys left and right.  Before that he was kind of seen as a late 2nd round guy.  He's kind of like McCarthy.  Underutilized in an offense that ran a very percentage of the time.  Hard to get a good read on guys like that.  But the speed is there, and the hands.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Westside said:

I feel the same way about this years QB class. To me it looks iffy. Outside of Williams and possibly Maye, the rest don’t seem like first round picks.

But I’m usually wrong predicting talent so take it with a grain of salt. Lol

I leave it up to the people on this board though who have better track records than me. 👍🏻

I have been totally confused by the QB class and all the draft predictions.

Caleb Williams feels like a total bust, yet he is the consensus 1.

Penix looks like a total stud, and then you hear he may not even go until the 2nd or 3rd round.

I have watched McCarthy a ton, and I have no idea how he will turn out as a pro. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, boyst said:

Like two of them will have NFL careers. McCarthy ain't gonna be one of them.

Which 2 are you referring to? 

Their OL will have at least 2 themselves, Sainistril will have a long career, Corum will have the average NFL RB career (length wise), Roman Wilson will at LEAST be a good special teamer and be in the league for 5-6 years (avg. is >3.).

IMO I think you're pretty far off with this assessment. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That LSU team had studs though - Burrow, Jefferson, Delpit even CEH and Chaisson who haven't panned out. That Michigan list reads like a lot of depth players to me. 

That team absolutely had more freak players and super stars in college.. Just absurd athletes.

The Michigan team and it's players are the fundamentally sound, REALLY well coached, heady/understand the game players. 

It's like the super fun Golden State Warriors with Steph/Klay/ KD 

Vs. the boring San Antonio Spurs Dynasty's 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If he's that fast and quick but doesn't separate, he probably rounds his routes or telegraphs his cuts.  If someone isn't a separator then I would prefer to have size.

16 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Which 2 are you referring to? 

Their OL will have at least 2 themselves, Sainistril will have a long career, Corum will have the average NFL RB career (length wise), Roman Wilson will at LEAST be a good special teamer and be in the league for 5-6 years (avg. is >3.).

IMO I think you're pretty far off with this assessment. 

That team absolutely had more freak players and super stars in college.. Just absurd athletes.

The Michigan team and it's players are the fundamentally sound, REALLY well coached, heady/understand the game players. 

It's like the super fun Golden State Warriors with Steph/Klay/ KD 

Vs. the boring San Antonio Spurs Dynasty's 

i don't know the specifics of each candidate but just going off of NFL odds. their OL was the best in the game and let McCarthy flourish and the rest of the skilset players. but i don't think there are good enough odds that the school puts 3 long term nfl OL in th league.

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

ESPNs latest 7 round mock draft has 16 Wolverines being selected this braking the previous record of the Joe Burrow LSU team and I admit there is some guys here who’d I love in Buffalo to add especially some of those day 3 guys 

6th Round: DL Braedon McGregor, OLDrake Nugent, OL Trevor Keegan, LB Michael Barrett, WR Cornelius Johnson , LB Jalen Harrell, and Trent Jones OL 

In terms of quality, I don’t think that prediction beats Bama. 

in recent years they have had 4-5 in round 1 and 7 in rounds 1-2. 

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I haven't been this excited since that glut of QB talent arrived with the Draft of 2018!!! 
🤔

13 hours ago, boyst said:

Like two of them will have NFL careers. McCarthy ain't gonna be one of them.

You must be in the dark depths of Ohio Boyst.  Huge Michigan fan and alumnus.  We had an excellent team across the board last year.  We aren’t flashy.  But guys who play at Michigan are old school tough solid smart football players.  And are also leaders.  They usually are not athletic freaks.  But that’s not our program.  But you want guys who understand the game.  Always play fast and hard, and are coachable, you pick Michigan men.  Think Lamar Woodley, Brandon Graham, Charles Woodson, Jim Harbaugh.  Aiden Hutchinson-he is a freaky athlete. 

In this class Sainerstill will be real good in the pros as will Wilson at WR.  Zinter will be a beast once his leg has healed.  And McCarthy will be excellent once he gets acclimated to the pro game.  Guy is a winner and a leader.  A dark horse is Braden McGregor.  Bills should take him in the later rounds.  He is long and plays hard w a lot of attitude.  Can be a consistent 6-8 sack player.  Had a real big game against Alabama in the Nat Championship semi final.  Go Blue !!

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I do not watch Michigan a lot, but Nugent could be our center pick if he lasts that long.  Also like LB Barrett, and  WR Johnson.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That LSU team had studs though - Burrow, Jefferson, Delpit even CEH and Chaisson who haven't panned out. That Michigan list reads like a lot of depth players to me. 

agreed, but that is their floor, IMO— good late round guys who will stick around awhile. 

Edited by RyanC883

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Braking? I thought this was the NFL, not F1 or NASCAR!

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I almost feel like Roman Wilson is a potential Bills draft pick as he's one guy I see almost no one talk about.

I agree -- there really is not much hype surrounding him. He is not a big-bodied receiver -- but he checks off pretty much all of the other boxes: speed, route running, versatility, and has played in big-time games.

As we have seen in the WR threads, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder in this year's draft class. The top 3 (MHJ, Nabers and Odunze) will probably go in the top 10. BTJ will likely go somewhere in the next 10 picks (well before the Bills). If BB does not see great value with the collection of receivers on the board at 28, I could see him waiting until the 2nd to draft a polished receiver like Wilson.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

I agree -- there really is not much hype surrounding him. He is not a big-bodied receiver -- but he checks off pretty much all of the other boxes: speed, route running, versatility, and has played in big-time games.

As we have seen in the WR threads, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder in this year's draft class. The top 3 (MHJ, Nabers and Odunze) will probably go in the top 10. BTJ will likely go somewhere in the next 10 picks (well before the Bills). If BB does not see great value with the collection of receivers on the board at 28, I could see him waiting until the 2nd to draft a polished receiver like Wilson.

To add, Wilson has been clutch in crunch time.  When the game was on the line, he stepped up and made big plays, particularly against Ohio State and Alabama.  The same can be said for Corum and McCarthy too.  That's how championships are won.  Sainristil has also made a ton of big plays in big games/crunch time, but I'm not sure he's big enough and athletic enough to be a successful NFL starter.  I see him making a team as a solid backup nickel corner.

As to the prediction that the Michigan offensive linemen will not be successful in the NFL, I disagree.  Michigan linemen from recent seasons are starting all over the NFL, even those drafted in later rounds.  Off the top of my head, I can think of Cesar Ruiz, Ben Bredeson, Mike Onwenu, Graham Glasgow, Jon Runyan, and Mason Cole.  Ruiz was a higher draft pick, but these other guys were later round picks and have all been NFL starters.

I'm admittedly a Michigan alum and fan.  While that gives me a bias towards their players, it also means that I follow the team closely and have an educated opinion on the players.

• Like (+1) 1

I have Michigan season tickets and can share my thoughts. Many of these guys will wind up being solid pros. For the lineman, Nugent, Keegan and Zintner will all be solid pros with starting potential. Am less sold on the offensive tackles but Jones may continue to develop...good athlete. Sanristil is terrific (similar to Honey Badger). Smart, athletic leader. Would love to have him on the Bills. Wilson will be a great WR2/3. If he gets a clean release, he will be open and is tough for his size with good hands. AJ Barner won't last past rounds 4/5 and will be a solid TE2/3. The guy that I would like to see on the Bills is Cornelius Johnson who is very similar to Gabe Davis but makes more contested catches. Won't last past round 4. 6'3" with 4.44 speed. Excellent hands. Great around the sidelines and in scramble mode/adjusting his route to give the QB a target on broken plays. Smart, athletic.  

• Like (+1) 1

Also, would put in a plug for Jalen Harrel. Very athletic and may just be scratching the surface of his potential. 6th round would be a good spot for him. I like McGregor too. He is relentless. Wouldn't worry about Sanristil's size. He plays big and is very versatile...could play him almost anywhere in the secondary. Former WR and understands the game. His character is off-the-charts outstanding. 

42 minutes ago, mruss said:

I have Michigan season tickets and can share my thoughts. Many of these guys will wind up being solid pros. For the lineman, Nugent, Keegan and Zintner will all be solid pros with starting potential. Am less sold on the offensive tackles but Jones may continue to develop...good athlete. Sanristil is terrific (similar to Honey Badger). Smart, athletic leader. Would love to have him on the Bills. Wilson will be a great WR2/3. If he gets a clean release, he will be open and is tough for his size with good hands. AJ Barner won't last past rounds 4/5 and will be a solid TE2/3. The guy that I would like to see on the Bills is Cornelius Johnson who is very similar to Gabe Davis but makes more contested catches. Won't last past round 4. 6'3" with 4.44 speed. Excellent hands. Great around the sidelines and in scramble mode/adjusting his route to give the QB a target on broken plays. Smart, athletic.  

I think Junior Colson will be a solid NFL LB.  I love Sanristil and his intangibles, but think he'll get banged up in the NFL, as he's just such a slender guy, so I project him to be a solid backup in the NFL.  I'm not sure about Cornelius Johnson, he has all the measurables and was fantastic against Ohio State in 2022, but he has not typically been the go-to guy in key situations, even though he was technically the #1 WR at times.  He is a guy, however, who may be better in the NFL than he was in college, just based on how much Michigan ran the ball and how little the WRs were utilized, similar to Nico Collins, who has great measurables, but low college production, and has emerged with the Texans.

I agree about the offensive linemen in general and think Keegan and Zinter will be good NFL starting guards.  Given that Nugent only played one season at Michigan and missed some time with injuries, I'm not as sure about how he will do in the NFL.  I see him on an NFL roster for sure, but don't know if he'll be a starter.

Edited by msw2112

16 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Agree. He will play like every Ohio State QB in the NFL who isn't Stroud. 

Why not every Michigan QB but Brady? I mean Harbaugh, Grbac, Griese, Henson and Collins were decent backups but not great starters. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Why not every Michigan QB but Brady? I mean Harbaugh, Grbac, Griese, Henson and Collins were decent backups but not great starters. 

I disagree with this.  Brady was a superstar.  Harbaugh and Grbac were very good starting QBs, but Grbac retired at a young age for some reason.  Griese was a middlin' starter and devolved into a backup.  Collins and Chad Henne were good backups for a long time.  Henson was not even a good backup and flamed out of the NFL pretty quickly.  He had a cup of coffee in MLB with the Yankees and is now (I believe) a scout for them.  Ironically, Henson was the one with by far the most hype coming into college and was the "can't miss" prospect, stealing quite a bit of playing time from Brady.

I'm not sure about McCarthy.  He has all of the physical skills.  He's got a great arm, he's mobile and a fast runner, he's not afraid to play a physical game (former hockey player), and he's won a whole lot of games.  He came through in the clutch in the playoff this season.  He's a team player and very coachable. So he has a ton of upside.  The thing that concerns me is that because Michigan ran the ball so much during his tenure, he never established any kind of rhythm as a passer.  The Michigan passing offense never had a great flow to it.  Obviously, it was plenty good enough, resulting a national championship....So I just don't think there's enough tape out there to determine whether McCarthy will be successful in the NFL.  I love the kid and think he has the potential to be great, but I just haven't seen enough to be sold on whether it will happen.  I'm curious if other Michigan fans see it the same way I do.

Edited by msw2112

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Ya, no. Those are at least guys who started for some time or made careers as serviceable back ups. Which virtually no Ohio State QB has done. Maybe Fields fits that role. It would be hard to blindly draft this many misses. Who is even Harbaugh level on here?

Other Ohio State quarterbacks who have been drafted into the NFL include:

Don Scott: 1941, first round, ninth pick

Les Horvath: 1943, sixth round, 45th pick

Dave Leggett: 1955, seventh round, 74th pick

Johnny Borton: 1955, 13th round, 157th pick

Frank Kremblas: 1959, 23rd round, 273rd pick

Rex Kern: 1971, tenth round, 260th pick

Ron Maciejowski: 1971, 15th round, 376th pick

Greg Hare: 1974, eighth round, 207th pick

Cornelius Greene: 1976, 11th round, 318th pick

Art Schlichter: 1982, fourth overall

Tom Tupa: 1988, third round, 68th pick

Kent Graham: 1992, eighth round, 211th pick

Bobby Hoying: 1996, third round, 85th pick

Joe Germaine: 1999, fourth round, 101st pick

Dwayne Haskins: 2019, 15th overall

Justin Fields: 2021, 11th overall

C.J. Stroud: 2023, second overall by the Houston Texans 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I disagree with this.  Brady was a superstar.  Harbaugh and Grbac were very good starting QBs, but Grbac retired at a young age for some reason.  Griese was a middlin' starter and devolved into a backup.  Collins and Chad Henne were good backups for a long time.  Henson was not even a good backup and flamed out of the NFL pretty quickly.  He had a cup of coffee in MLB with the Yankees and is now (I believe) a scout for them.  Ironically, Henson was the one with by far the most hype coming into college and was the "can't miss" prospect, stealing quite a bit of playing time from Brady.

I'm not sure about McCarthy.  He has all of the physical skills.  He's got a great arm, he's mobile and a fast runner, he's not afraid to play a physical game (former hockey player), and he's won a whole lot of games.  He came through in the clutch in the playoff this season.  He's a team player and very coachable. So he has a ton of upside.  The thing that concerns me is that because Michigan ran the ball so much during his tenure, he never established any kind of rhythm as a passer.  The Michigan passing offense never had a great flow to it.  Obviously, it was plenty good enough, resulting a national championship....So I just don't think there's enough tape out there to determine whether McCarthy will be successful in the NFL.  I love the kid and think he has the potential to be great, but I just haven't seen enough to be sold on whether it will happen.  I'm curious if other Michigan fans see it the same way I do.

One thing I would also add about Brian Griese the job he has done developing Brock Purdy out in San Francisco as QB coach it’s only a matter of time till he’s one of the next Shannahan disciples to get a head coaching job. 

Not surprised at all!

Go Blue!

On 3/28/2024 at 1:22 PM, mruss said:

Also, would put in a plug for Jalen Harrel. Very athletic and may just be scratching the surface of his potential. 6th round would be a good spot for him. I like McGregor too. He is relentless. Wouldn't worry about Sanristil's size. He plays big and is very versatile...could play him almost anywhere in the secondary. Former WR and understands the game. His character is off-the-charts outstanding. 

Nice write up mess!!!

On 3/27/2024 at 9:39 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Zinter, Keegan, and Nugent alone will have lengthy pro careers Michigan is an oline factory

there are 11 currently on NFL rosters as of the end of last season 

• Agree 1