PSL Pricing/Seat Selection Discussion

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

The PSL’s are the problem for most, so removing that comparable item necessarily removes the point of a comparison.

Posters really need to read and understand the context of a post or discussion before responding.

1) PSL’s = / = Ticket Fees.

2) No-one is arguing that this is not rare circumstance in sports. We all know billionaire owners made PSL’s common in sports. This discussion originated from saying that it is not common in general BUSINESS. An analogy was made to taxpayers not paying for the Taco Bell building, then paying to enter the building they paid for, then paying for the tacos themselves. That is what spawned the post you responded to.

PSL is a fee and we are talking specifically about additional fees to watch the game.  So yes, PSL is the major discussion of this but as my point still stands, you pay fees for entertainment, there is just an extra one for football because of it's demand.  As someone who apparently runs a business, in this scenario, the business owners who have implemented these plans have seen growth....how is that not a successful business model?  

The really high end country club across the street from me, members first have to pay an initiation fee which is a lot.  Then they have annual membership fees every year after that.  That just gets them in the door of the country club.

Does this membership fee include food, drinks, golf, tennis, swimming etc?  Nope, just gets you in the door to where you basically can hangout.

If you want to play golf, swim or other activities...another fee.  Guess what pays for the building?  The members.

My best friend and his wife do well and they're part of a country club and their set up is the same except their membership fees include the pool.

It happens in a much smaller setting than the NFL. 

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

PSL is a fee and we are talking specifically about additional fees to watch the game.  So yes, PSL is the major discussion of this but as my point still stands, you pay fees for entertainment, there is just an extra one for football because of it's demand.  As someone who apparently runs a business, in this scenario, the business owners who have implemented these plans have seen growth....how is that not a successful business model?  

The really high end country club across the street from me, members first have to pay an initiation fee which is a lot.  Then they have annual membership fees every year after that.  That just gets them in the door of the country club.

Does this membership fee include food, drinks, golf, tennis, swimming etc?  Nope, just gets you in the door to where you basically can hangout.

If you want to play golf, swim or other activities...another fee.  Guess what pays for the building?  The members.

My best friend and his wife do well and they're part of a country club and their set up is the same except their membership fees include the pool.

It happens in a much smaller setting than the NFL. 

Private membership in a club is kind of similar but also kind of different because you pay the initiation and then monthlies plus whatever else you do. Some clubs also have minimum spends per month.

I think PSLs are more comparable to timeshares, where you pay a large upfront fee (either lump sum or financed over time) for the right to then pay annually fees and maintenance on a property you never own, and in perpetuity you're stuck paying whatever they say.  You can use that property for a set amount of time based on what you paid, but in the end you're locked in and to use th timeshare you "bought", you must then also pay whatever they say. 

PSLs are that upfront fee for the right to then buy season tickets which the Bills can jack the price of whenever they want, and as a PSL owner, you're stuck paying it.  There technically is a market to sell your PSL and get out of the cycle, but much like timeshares it's not as easy and straightforward as it may sound.  

• Like (+1) 1

you pay fees for entertainment, there is just an extra one for football because of it's demand. 

That extra fee is why it’s not comparable to most other businesses (even in entertainment). The extra fee isn’t there for concerts, magician acts, car shows, etc etc etc.

That’s the entire point.

As someone who apparently runs a business, in this scenario, the business owners who have implemented these plans have seen growth....how is that not a successful business model?  

The growth has no correlation to the PSL. The PSL’s do not contribute to growth because they directly subsidize the stadium rather than the P/L of the team. This is what the owner of the team should be paying.

Not to mention, the NFL has seen consistent growth for over 100 years and PSL’s are a relatively new part of the equation, and for less than half the teams the majority of that time. The vast majority of growth is attributable to media rights.

The really high end country club across the street from me, members first have to pay an initiation fee which is a lot.  Then they have annual membership fees every year after that.

Was this Country Club paid for by taxpayers? If so, name it. It should be publicly shamed.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The part that I’m hung up on is why are you trying so hard to differentiate a PSL from any other ticketing fee that you pay as a “right to buy the ticket?”

I’ve explained this already but I have a feeling that you’re just skimming my posts in haste to reply rather than reading and comprehending.

Put simply, PSL’s and Ticket Fees are completely different. There is a reason why Ticketmaster and Stubhub don’t label their ticket fees as PSL’s.

1) PSL’s originate from the organization producing the product (Buffalo Bills, for example). The originating organization receives all 3 parts of the equation (taxpayer money, PSL, and ticket cost).

Ticket fees originate from a completely separate entity (a third party) that uses stub fees as their business model and this model does not benefit the originating organization. They ONLY receive the fee, not the taxpayer money or the ticket cost.

2) Taxpayers did not subsidize the building of Ticketmaster and Stubhub. Therefore there is no “double taxation” so to speak.

3) PSLs come with perceived value. Conversely, ticket service fees offer no such value proposition; they are akin to a delivery charge, which increases the cost of the product without enhancing its value.

They simply aren’t the same at all. Though they’re both crappy.

That’s obviously way more common when you’re talking about standalone events like a concert or show. You’re paying someone for the right to buy that seat.

In the example you’re writing, you’re not paying a fee to the party that benefited from taxpayer dollars, and the party who is also benefiting from the sale of the ticket.

You’re paying a fee to Ticketmaster and that’s all they get. They don’t get the proceeds of the ticket and the taxpayer money as well. Just the fee.

As I said, you need all 3 parts:

1) Taxpayer funded 

2) AND PSL

3) AND Ticket cost

You can find examples of 1 or 2 of those parts; but finding all 3 is very difficult and results in only extreme outliers.

Not the norm.

I guess the other part that I’m hung up on is, “why do you have an issue with PSLs when the people using the product are the one’s electing to purchase?”

Ok now I know for a fact that you’re not actually reading what i’m writing and simply want to respond and argue rather than have a  gentlemanly debate.

I know this because in the post you responded to, I wrote: “I agree that people have the right to purchase them. That is not the debate here. The debate here is whether PSL’s are the “norm” in entertainment. They are not. If people want to purchase PSL’s, great. Go for it. But that’s not the conversation.”

Put simply, I don’t care at all if people buy PSL’s. That was never the conversation.

You have consistently misunderstood the context of this conversation despite me telling you several times. This conversation was about whether this is the “norm” in other businesses (it’s not). The conversation was NEVER about whether I care if people buy PSL’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That extra fee is why it’s not comparable to most other businesses (even in entertainment). The extra fee isn’t there for concerts, magician acts, car shows, etc etc etc.

That’s the entire point.

The growth has no correlation to the PSL. The PSL’s do not contribute to growth because they directly subsidize the stadium rather than the P/L of the team. This is what the owner of the team should be paying.

Not to mention, the NFL has seen consistent growth for over 100 years and PSL’s are a relatively new part of the equation, and for less than half the teams the majority of that time. The vast majority of growth is attributable to media rights.

Was this Country Club paid for by taxpayers? If so, name it. It should be publicly shamed.

Aren't you raking in profits from your investment in Disney?   Disney also charges whatever the market will bear for their products........their profit margins are not based on what's fair.

I'm not trying to pick on you here.   I enjoy your posts typically but you have a very "new money" idea of how capitalism works.

There are going to be 40K+ people in that new stadium every week that contributed between $0 in taxes and the NYS share.......which is literally an ineffectual pittance in construction cost terms.    

The PSL matter is really just a stand alone price gouge.   Like paying an extra $200 per person or whatever it is to get in the "fast" lines on your Disney stay. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I’ve explained this already but I have a feeling that you’re just skimming my posts in haste to reply rather than reading and comprehending.

Put simply, PSL’s and Ticket Fees are completely different. There is a reason why Ticketmaster and Stubhub don’t label their ticket fees as PSL’s.

1) PSL’s originate from the organization producing the product (Buffalo Bills, for example). The originating organization receives all 3 parts of the equation (taxpayer money, PSL, and ticket cost).

Ticket fees originate from a completely separate entity (a third party) that uses stub fees as their business model and this model does not benefit the originating organization. They ONLY receive the fee, not the taxpayer money or the ticket cost.

2) Taxpayers did not subsidize the building of Ticketmaster and Stubhub. Therefore there is no “double taxation” so to speak.

3) PSLs come with perceived value. Conversely, ticket service fees offer no such value proposition; they are akin to a delivery charge, which increases the cost of the product without enhancing its value.

They simply aren’t the same at all. Though they’re both crappy.

In the example you’re writing, you’re not paying a fee to the party that benefited from taxpayer dollars, and the party who is also benefiting from the sale of the ticket.

You’re paying a fee to Ticketmaster and that’s all they get. They don’t get the proceeds of the ticket and the taxpayer money as well. Just the fee.

As I said, you need all 3 parts:

1) Taxpayer funded 

2) AND PSL

3) AND Ticket cost

You can find examples of 1 or 2 of those parts; but finding all 3 is very difficult and results in only extreme outliers.

Not the norm.

Ok now I know for a fact that you’re not actually reading what i’m writing and simply want to respond and argue rather than have a  gentlemanly debate.

I know this because in the post you responded to, I wrote: “I agree that people have the right to purchase them. That is not the debate here. The debate here is whether PSL’s are the “norm” in entertainment. They are not. If people want to purchase PSL’s, great. Go for it. But that’s not the conversation.”

Put simply, I don’t care at all if people buy PSL’s. That was never the conversation.

Just skimming this novel. Explain the $3 per ticket fee currently being charged in Nashville to offset the cost of the new stadium. Outrage or no because they aren’t calling it a PSL and it’s offsetting the government’s portion as opposed to the owner’s?

You’re trying WAY too hard to differentiate “fees” from “PSLs.” I know a little on the subject. I have a master’s in sports business and spent almost a decade working in pro sports on the business side. I’ve worked directly on arena lease agreements and funding deals. I understand the topic WAY better than most. You do not need to explain to me the finances of it 😂😂

There are MANY venues that are funded by the tax payers (at least at some level). They ALL charge for tickets. Any EXTRA fees associated with purchasing a ticket is akin to a PSL. That “right to buy a ticket fee” may just go to TM or Stubhub as opposed to the owner offsetting the cost. You’re trying too hard to be angry or knowledgeable. I’m not sure which you’re trying to prove but you really don’t understand it like you think you do.

With all of this outrage, I sure hope that you’re someone that is faced with a decision on their PSL spend. If this outrage is coming from someone not even impacted, that’s ridiculous. If you aren’t someone faced with a financial decision because of a PSL, you do not deserve an opinion on the topic. You can’t be outraged at how we choose to spend our money. What’s the max that you’re willing to pay for a PSL? Where are your tickets currently? I’ll give you a rough projection of what to expect. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That’s the entire point.

The entire point is sports entertainment operates differently and the NFL is the most in demand so they will have an extra fee which is the PSL.

If the PSL was losing money or hurting their revenue, they wouldn't do it.  

Okay Johnny Drama...they should be publicly shamed lol?  

"Did you hear these mega millionaires have to pay extra fees with their memberships and have to buy more to get more after??"

"Are they forcing them to have these memberships?"

"No, it's up to them if they want to live there or not.  You don't have to live there, you can just sign up too but it costs more."

The public outcry would be close to the Boston Massacre.

The club is paid for by the members.  It's a private club inside a gated community and the people who live inside pay for it along with other members.  Through membership fees, revenue from the restaurant and bar and the additional memberships to use other amenities.  But if you don't live there, you can still have a membership but not sure what the qualifications are.  So in your extra scenario, it plays out 100% to your Taco Bell comparison.

Quoted by you:

"Taco Bell building, then paying to enter the building they paid for, then paying for the tacos themselves"

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Aren't you raking in profits from your investment in Disney?   Disney also charges whatever the market will bear for their products........their profit margins are not based on what's fair.

I'm not trying to pick on you here.   I enjoy your posts typically but you have a very "new money" idea of how capitalism works.

There are going to be 40K+ people in that new stadium every week that contributed between $0 in taxes and the NYS share.......which is literally an ineffectual pittance in construction cost terms.    

The PSL matter is really just a stand alone price gouge.   Like paying an extra $200 per person or whatever it is to get in the "fast" lines on your Disney stay. 

But you’re not forced to buy the fast lane package. The record breaking tv deals the nfl is raking in and then have the nerve to “sell” psl to season ticket holders is nothing more than pure greed. If you want to dish out thousands of dollars to watch a football game, GOD bless you, that’s your right and I would defend that. But to defend this corporate greed is unreal. 
This is in no way intended for you Badobillz. Just thinking out loud, lol.

• Disagree 1

Syracuse University season tickets do not have a PSL, they have a "donation" to their 'Cuse Athletics Fund.  You want seasons, you have to make a donation.  

Syracuse Football Season Tickets

Why is there an annual required seat-related ‘Cuse Athletics Fund membership on Football Season Tickets?
Seat-related ‘Cuse Athletics Fund memberships are essential to supporting the student-athlete experience at Syracuse University. This portion of your season ticket is used provide the resources needed for our teams to recruit, train and compete both in competition and in the classroom and is used to directly support all 20 programs and 600+ student-athletes. This portion also qualifies you as a ‘Cuse Athletics Fund member and applies toward your ‘CAF Annual Giving Level, which identifies your eligibility for different annual benefits and is used in donor rank to allocate tickets, parking and hospitality.

The amount you donate instead of seniority comes into play with their benefits.  Someone that does the minimum donation for years/decades, can lose out to someone that just got seasons and made a big donation.  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Westside said:

But you’re not forced to buy the fast lane package. The record breaking tv deals the nfl is raking in and then have the nerve to “sell” psl to season ticket holders is nothing more than pure greed. If you want to dish out thousands of dollars to watch a football game, GOD bless you, that’s your right and I would defend that. But to defend this corporate greed is unreal. 
This is in no way intended for you Badobillz. Just thinking out loud, lol.

You aren’t forced to buy the PSL either. If you want to guarantee the same seat for each game, or shortest wait time for rides, you have the option to purchase it. You can always buy tickets on the secondary market and pay whatever they’re priced without buying a PSL. 

Just now, Just Jack said:

Syracuse University season tickets do not have a PSL, they have a "donation" to their 'Cuse Athletics Fund.  You want seasons, you have to make a donation.  

Syracuse Football Season Tickets

Yep, universities have been doing this for years. Think about all of the public universities doing the same thing.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

You aren’t forced to buy the PSL either. If you want to guarantee the same seat for each game, or shortest wait time for rides, you have the option to purchase it. You can always buy tickets on the secondary market and pay whatever they’re priced without buying a PSL. 

I agree. I’m happy you’re able to afford the fees and keep your seats. I think that’s great. 
I still stand by my comments about the greed of the nfl. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Westside said:

I agree. I’m happy you’re able to afford the fees and keep your seats. I think that’s great. 

The cost to the STH does not really bother me very much, since you have an option not to pay. The NFL is a business, and like Disney it does not surprise me when they look for new ways to generate more revenue. I find it sad that some people will be priced out, but I don’t think “greed” is the correct term for what’s happening there. If I own Disney stock, and they are not trying to increase profits I’m going to be upset. That is why they exist. They will push the envelope and charge as much as the market allows.  

What DOES bother me a LOT is when the NFL compromises the integrity of the game in the quest for more money. The Bills playing a “home game” in front of all the Jax fans in London that have been carefully cultivated since 2013 bothers me. Home field matters, that’s why you fight all season to have it in the playoffs. They have created an un-level playing field for the sake of more revenue. That is inexcusable. (Don’t even get me started on the “jet lag experiment” or the crap field.) The Jags should never be the road team in London, their second home. 

Things like two Christmas Day games, on a WEDNESDAY, is going to present issues regarding physical recovery and preparation in the weeks surrounding those games as well as on Christmas Day. This isn’t Covid where they are just trying to keep things going. This was a conscious decision, all in the name of money. 

If they don’t care about the integrity of the game, I guess I care a little less about the game too. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

The cost to the STH does not really bother me very much, since you have an option not to pay. The NFL is a business, and like Disney it does not surprise me when they look for new ways to generate more revenue. I find it sad that some people will be priced out, but I don’t think “greed” is the correct term for what’s happening there. If I own Disney stock, and they are not trying to increase profits I’m going to be upset. That is why they exist. They will push the envelope and charge as much as the market allows.  

What DOES bother me a LOT is when the NFL compromises the integrity of the game in the quest for more money. The Bills playing a “home game” in front of all the Jax fans in London that have been carefully cultivated since 2013 bothers me. Home field matters, that’s why you fight all season to have it in the playoffs. They have created un-level playing field for the sake of more revenue. That is inexcusable. (Don’t even get me started on the “jet lag experiment” or the crap field.) The Jags should never be the road team in London, their second home. 

Things like two Christmas Day games, on a WEDNESDAY, is going to present issues regarding physical recovery and preparation in the weeks surrounding those games as well as on Christmas Day. This isn’t Covid where they are just trying to keep things going. This was a conscious decision, all in the name of money. 

If they don’t care about the integrity of the game, I guess I care a little less about the game too. 

I agree. That’s exactly why my passion for the game has waned.

Just now, Westside said:

I agree. That’s exactly why my passion for the game has waned.

Add in all the streaming services they want to force you to have, and they are losing me to some degree. It’s not even about the money to me, it’s the way they have gone about it.  I’m still a Bills fan, but I’m caring less and less for the NFL every year. 

It’s a bit like college basketball to me. I don’t mind players having freedom to transfer via the portal or get paid for NIL. That seems fair enough to me. Unfortunately, the resulting product is something I care significantly less about. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Westside said:

No one wants to pay these fees. Pegula could obviously pay that portion without jamming up regular people. It’s simple economics though. It’s supply and demand. It is not a good financial decision for me. That money would be better served elsewhere. I can only speak for me, but I value the games enough to make the sacrifice. It’s the way of the world now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one wants to pay these fees. Pegula could obviously pay that portion without jamming up regular people. It’s simple economics though. It’s supply and demand. It is not a good financial decision for me. That money would be better served elsewhere. I can only speak for me, but I value the games enough to make the sacrifice. It’s the way of the world now.

Well that's a stupid perspective.

Better wringing your hands in the face of reality.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

$15 - $39 per person per day, but you have to know advanced calculus to use the system effectively ;)

45 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Well that's a stupid perspective.

Said differently,”the money could be spent adding value to my home. I need to resurface the driveway and pool area.” Those same dollars will pay for my 2 PSLs. I’m not taking away from any necessities or strong “wants.” I’m electing to purchase these PSLs and waiting on the driveway. These are the types of decisions that many of us will make. People aren’t deciding between food and PSLs but they may be deciding between a vacation and PSLs. They are going to take up a portion of discretionary income that none of us have ever committed. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

@Rochesterfan @GottaRun, you guys think the PSL is going to be a lot lower than that for the cheap seats? 

Lower than $15 - $20K? Yes
Lower than $6K Yes

Write down the sites that are telling you the prices will be that high or higher... then abandon getting info from those sites when their "sources" and "info" turn out to be garbage.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Lower than $15 - $20K? Yes
Lower than $6K Yes

Write down the sites that are telling you the prices will be that high or higher... then abandon getting info from those sites when their "sources" and "info" turn out to be garbage.  

You actually think it's going to be $1k  to $2k for those seats?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

You actually think it's going to be $1k  to $2k for those seats?

As a PSL - Yes I think there will be cheap seats within that range.  

I think people respond to rage on social media, so rage based posts and articles get more clicks and attention.  Bills posts about the common fan, the Mafia, getting priced out by insane PSLs is just a way to get attention.  

Ultimately this is all the Bills fault for not releasing the info, we're all left with playing a guessing game.

Edited by GottaRun

10 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

As a PSL - Yes I think there will be cheap seats within that range.  

I think people respond to rage on social media, so rage based posts and articles get more clicks and attention.  Bills posts about the common fan, the Mafia, getting priced out by insane PSLs is just a way to get attention.  

Ultimately this is all the Bills fault for not releasing the info, we're all left with playing a guessing game.

I agree with this. I think the reason for holding off on releasing the rest is because they may fluctuate some depending on what’s selling now. As an example, maybe they are debating between 10,000 seats at $1500 vs. $2000? Maybe they are debating 10,000 seats between $5000 and $7500? The overwhelming majority of PSLs will cost the PSL holder less than $100 a month, after financing fees, for the 10 years. Some may be as little as $15 a month. 

Bills' potential PSL prices for new stadium range from $500 to $16,500

" Pegula Sports & Entertainment Exec VP Ron Raccuia said that the Bills "will most likely have the lowest personal seat license prices of any team with a new stadium" built since '09 and are "making an effort to keep prices market-friendly" (BUFFALO NEWS, 5/12).

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/05/12/Franchises/Bills.aspx

Edited by papazoid

5 minutes ago, papazoid said:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/05/12/Franchises/Bills.aspx

That article is over a year old now. The high end is much higher than the speculated $16,500.  I see the low end being much higher than $500. I see it closer to $2500 of higher. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

That article is over a year old now. The high end is much higher than the speculated $16,500.  I see the low end being much higher than $500. I see it closer to $2500 of higher. 

imo.....in order to save face....it's highly likely "some" PSL's will be $1,000

I mean a $1000-$2000 PSL isn't expensive by any means and I could easily afford it without a sweat but for me there's a principle involved at stake too as someone who has pretty good seats in the 100 level currently.  I just can't justify paying more money to go sit in the nosebleeds for a more watered down gameday experience.  I may be in a unique position(or not so unique from a lot of commentary I'm seeing here and other places) where I am just getting sick of the NFL in general and looking forward to taking a step back.  It all comes down to personal choices how bad do you want to be there and at what cost.  For me the desire just isn't there anymore.  

36 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Guaranteed those will be in the upper corners far away from the field. 

But they will be under cover!  It sounds like the seats not under cover will be the lower bowl, about halfway from top of that section down to field level. If it plays out the way the Bills have suggested, the cheapest seats will have cover. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Agree 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:14 PM, RiotAct said:

does it, though?

To me it does.  I always viewed PSLs as the right to buy tickets. Seems like the Bills may want to buy them back to sell at a higher rate for stadium upgrades down to line.

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did you buy when I told you to? If you did, you’re up over 40%!

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Im not arguing for or against PSL’s. Im not telling anyone not to buy them.

Im not sure how to say this more clearly…

Im simply arguing that PSL’s are not the “norm” in business. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

" Pegula Sports & Entertainment Exec VP Ron Raccuia said that the Bills "will most likely have the lowest personal seat license prices of any team with a new stadium" built since '09 and are "making an effort to keep prices market-friendly" (BUFFALO NEWS, 5/12).

That's dated two years ago.

According to reports they're already well over that.

The Survey is all we have to go on for now but if I recall correctly the lower PSLs were $900/$1,000.

Mostly upper EZs and corners.  Remember, the new stadium will be about the same height all the way around unlike the corner one. So when they say Upper EZs they mean same height as our current UDs.

I also don't recall any of those having heat although some may have cover.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Did you buy when I told you to? If you did, you’re up over 40%!

Im not arguing for or against PSL’s. Im not telling anyone not to buy them.

Im not sure how to say this more clearly…

Im simply arguing that PSL’s are not the “norm” in business. 

Doesn't matter what you say, critics will disregard any context and argue based upon what they want your position to be.  

🤔😁

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You’re trying WAY too hard to differentiate “fees” from “PSLs.”

They are different. 

You are attempting to equate two different charges as the same. 

As I’ve said before, to make a comparison to a PSL in the Bills situation, you must use a comparable product that:

1) Is taxpayer funded for the benefit of the originating organization.  

2) AND an extra fee is charged that goes into the coffers of the originating organization.

3) AND the originating organization pockets the ticket money.

Ticket fees meet only ONE of those three items.

I have a master’s in sports business and spent almost a decade working in pro sports on the business side. I’ve worked directly on arena lease agreements and funding deals. I understand the topic WAY better than most. 

Let’s not get into a genitalia measuring contest. It’s not gentlemenly and no-one wants to read that type of discussion. Besides, one of us is Google’able. Only one of us has articles written about them on Yahoo Finance and Business Insider. The other is you (wink).

Any EXTRA fees associated with purchasing a ticket is akin to a PSL. That “right to buy a ticket fee” may just go to TM or Stubhub as opposed to the owner offsetting the cost.

As I’ve said before, to make a comparison to a PSL in the Bills situation, you must use a product that:

1) The venue was paid for by taxpayers for the benefit of the originating organization.  

2) AND an extra fee was charged that goes into the coffers of the originating organization.

3) AND the originating organization pockets the ticket money.

Ticket fees meet only ONE of those three items.

You’re trying too hard to be angry or knowledgeable.

I’m not angry at all.

With all of this outrage

There is no outrage. I’m not upset at all. I’m simply explaining that PSL’s are not common in business (outside of sports).

You continuously try to divert this conversation into an arena it was never intended to be in.

Edited by Einstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Doesn't matter what you say, critics will disregard any context and argue based upon what they want your position to be.  

🤔😁

Yes. So much information being skimmed and disregarded in order to move the conversation into a territory it was never originated to be in. This thread is a microcosm of the world.

Person A: Tomatoes are a fruit.

Person B: Ugh, but Apples are a red fruit and they don’t taste like tomatoes.

Person A: Okay? But we aren’t talking about Apples, we are talking about Tomatoes.

Person B: So you don’t like Tomatoes

Person A: I never said that. I just said they’re a fruit.

Person B: I’m a botanist, I have a degree in seeds, why are you so angry?

Person A: I’m not angry. I’m just telling you that Tomatoes are a fruit.

Person B:  What is your issue with tomatoes!?!?

Person A: Huh!? (this is where I am now)

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Said differently,”the money could be spent adding value to my home. I need to resurface the driveway and pool area.” Those same dollars will pay for my 2 PSLs. I’m not taking away from any necessities or strong “wants.” I’m electing to purchase these PSLs and waiting on the driveway. These are the types of decisions that many of us will make. People aren’t deciding between food and PSLs but they may be deciding between a vacation and PSLs. They are going to take up a portion of discretionary income that none of us have ever committed. 

Having season tickets for an NFL team - or even simply attending an NFL game - is a luxury. If people want to spend their money on that, that’s great. If they don't and would rather spend it on a vacation or a pool or save or invest it, then that is great too. To each their own. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes. So much information being skimmed and disregarded in order to move the conversation into a territory it was never originated to be in. This thread is a microcosm of the world.

Person A: Okay? But we aren’t talking about Apples, we are talking about Tomatoes.

LMAO

You nailed that!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

so, back to the personal store license (PSL) required, in order to buy these tomatoes

I am seeing a number of people saying that this could be an out for The Bills, that if the seats don't sell, there is probably a clause that could get them out of Buffalo. Thoughts on this?

It's exhausting constantly worrying about this.