Knox "Reworks" Deal Frees Cap

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Certainly possible. I don’t think I’d do that if I were Knox though. I’d take my $5M and go play for another team where I’d make a lot more than $2M. 

He could do that but I'm betting he knows in the long run he makes more staying in Buffalo and taking small salary cuts each year.

He likes Buffalo (remember how happy he was when he bought his home) and HAS to know he signed an overpaid contract.

His contract is through the 2026 season and if I was him, I would take the small pay cut.  If he goes to a new team and has a bad year

or gets injured again he could end up playing for less than $5M every year going forward.  

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Certainly possible. I don’t think I’d do that if I were Knox though. I’d take my $5M and go play for another team where I’d make a lot more than $2M. 

You certainly could.

But at 27 and already sitting on likely $15M cash, staying here on a well-run team with a great QB is probably worth that $3M, as opposed to landing on... the Raiders, let's say, and having a horribly un-fun year on a poorly run and coached team, with no QB. And then be out of the league in 2025.

I'm always in favor of players getting as much cash as they can, but sometimes there is a bigger picture that will earn you more in the long run as opposed to just this year.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Process said:

Love Dawson but it's pretty crazy that he was counting $14.4M against the cap in the first place. Stuff like that is why we are in this mess. 

Exactly...if you want to avoid restructures, void years, cap hell or kicking the can down the road to screw you later, just stop overpaying for less productive players. This isn't rocket science, it's called preventative medicine. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

My guess is Knox reworked deal is very similar to Hunter Henry’s 3 year $27m deal with $15 guaranteed.  He’s trading his bigger deal for more guaranteed money.  Bills want him on team next couple of years but at a lower number.  

Great ..that will make it easier to trade him in 2025 ..

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You certainly could.

But at 27 and already sitting on likely $15M cash, staying here on a well-run team with a great QB is probably worth that $3M, as opposed to landing on... the Raiders, let's say, and having a horribly un-fun year on a poorly run and coached team, with no QB. And then be out of the league in 2025.

I'm always in favor of players getting as much cash as they can, but sometimes there is a bigger picture that will earn you more in the long run as opposed to just this year.

Yea, someone like Dawson Knox does seem like he'd be willing to just take less to stay with Josh Allen and this organization.  He's been through a lot in his personal life and it seems like he respects how the team/community rallied around him.  If you ever hear him talk, money never comes across as a massive factor.  Faith & Family seem to be his driving factors. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I was told a couple weeks ago Knox was approached about a paycut. I'm not sure what leverage we used considering his dead money hit would have been higher than his normal cap hit, but I'm glad to see he accepted the paycut. Perhaps we threatened a release with a post-6/1 designation?

Glad to see Beane being especially ruthless this offseason. It is a necessary change.

I for one am extremely proud of what Beane is doing this off season. This may be painful for some players but it's beyond necessary for the future success of this team.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I for one am extremely proud of what Beane is doing this off season. This may be painful for some players but it's beyond necessary for the future success of this team.

And it's not that painful considering we're talking about guys who are all multi-millionaires already.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why? He's a good player.

Yes he is a good player and has trade value …

He is still overpaid unfortunately for his role on the team… even at $9m a year …

Someone will see him as a TE1…

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

@HappyDays had called quite a few things, including, most recently, the approach to Knox for a paycut well before it was announced by the team.

Ok can you give me some examples of what he’s called out?  I haven’t been following this place too closely - just want to know

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Ok can you give me some examples of what he’s called out?  I haven’t been following this place too closely - just want to know

He just did. Either believe it or dont. It doesnt matter. Like I said, pay more attention going forward if it's that important to you.

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

He called the Knox rework. Was probably last week.

he called the Rousseau foot injury I think last season.

Hes had others but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

24 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Somebody listed like 4 things during the season do you have functional eyeballs or do we need to spoon the words straight down your throat into your stomach or what dawg cause we here for you

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, drummernut74 said:

Because they are true team players that want to WIN in Buffalo, and have a unique set of principles 

That almost certainly is not it. Everyone in the NFL is greedy, as they should be. They are getting advised by greedy agents. Players take pay cuts because the alternative is entering a crowded free agent market and risking an even worse salary than what the pay cut offers them.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

If they get released and signed somewhere else they still get paid, that's why there's dead money right?

No, dead money usually represents salary that has already been paid to the player and the team has used creative accounting to kick the salary cap implications to future years. Knox now is thinking about what money he'll be earning this year. Being released into a FA market versus taking say a $4M pay cut, his agent will tell him he's likely to lose more than that on the open market so take the pay cut.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Typically what's common is they move money around and the players actually benefit more from the restructure in some way and the can is kicked down the road, but they don't lose money.

Restructure is not the same as rework. Restructure doesn't require the player's approval because it doesn't change the money in their pocket, it just converts salary into some sort of bonus (usually a signing bonus) that spreads the cap hit out over several years. A rework is a more polite way of saying pay cut, or occasionally a pay increase if the player is the one with leverage. No doubt about it, Knox has taken a straight up pay cut. Perhaps there will be incentives that can earn him most of the money back like what we did with Von, but it is still classified as a pay cut.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No, dead money usually represents salary that has already been paid to the player and the team has used creative accounting to kick the salary cap implications to future years. Knox now is thinking about what money he'll be earning this year. Being released into a FA market versus taking say a $4M pay cut, his agent will tell him he's likely to lose more than that on the open market so take the pay cut.

And is there any scenario more scary or uncertain than an overpaid under-performer getting cut right as FA starts? Especially for a guy who was a walk-on in college, parlayed it to a 3d round pick, and parlayed that into a $52M contract which he has already earned $25M of?

And especially as a TE in this market.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He called the Knox rework. Was probably last week.

he called the Rousseau foot injury I think last season.

Hes had others but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Thanks for sharing actual examples rather than just screaming at me.  Appreciate that

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Maybe. But how many guys have left teams for perceived "greener pastures" only to end up miserable and full of regret? He may think that the Bills are his best fit. We may never know. Hopefully, the decision ends up mutually beneficial for both parties.

How happy Knox is here now - especially with the addition of Kincaid - is an open question. He’s overpaid at $13M so that probably helps a lot in that regard, but that might change if he were asked to take a pay cut. It looks to be a straight up restructure so that looks to be a moot point. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

where

You should be embarrassed by that comment. Knox is a good, starting quality TE that can play in line and flex out to the slot. He may have been a little overpaid by the Bills, but he’d be signed within days if he hit the market today. And he’d be a good starter for that team. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

My guess is Knox reworked deal is very similar to Hunter Henry’s 3 year $27m deal with $15 guaranteed.  He’s trading his bigger deal for more guaranteed money.  Bills want him on team next couple of years but at a lower number.  

This. I am fairly certain he gets more guaranteed. I would not be shocked if they added a year as well. More guaranteed money, another year on the job, less money per year. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

He could do that but I'm betting he knows in the long run he makes more staying in Buffalo and taking small salary cuts each year.

He likes Buffalo (remember how happy he was when he bought his home) and HAS to know he signed an overpaid contract.

His contract is through the 2026 season and if I was him, I would take the small pay cut.  If he goes to a new team and has a bad year

or gets injured again he could end up playing for less than $5M every year going forward.  

This is the last season with guarantees in his deal. He’s under contract for two more after that, but the Bills can easily move on at any time after this season. Now with the addition of Kincaid he may not get the passes or playing time that he used to get. That would not help his value. This is hypothetical because the contract move looks like a straight restructure. But if I were him and my choices were $5M and free agency today or a cut in pay, I would walk. 

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

How happy Knox is here now - especially with the addition of Kincaid - is an open question. He’s overpaid at $13M so that probably helps a lot in that regard, but that might change if he were asked to take a pay cut. It looks to be a straight up restructure so that looks to be a moot point. 

You should be embarrassed by that comment. Knox is a good, starting quality TE that can play in line and flex out to the slot. He may have been a little overpaid by the Bills, but he’d be signed within days if he hit the market today. And he’d be a good starter for that team. 

lol

Knox is so overrated

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You certainly could.

Good teams need players too. 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And is there any scenario more scary or uncertain than an overpaid under-performer getting cut right as FA starts? Especially for a guy who was a walk-on in college, parlayed it to a 3d round pick, and parlayed that into a $52M contract which he has already earned $25M of?

And especially as a TE in this market.

Between Knox and Von it certainly seems that Beane is leveraging the threat of a release against the players 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

lol, who screamed at you, you poor little thing

You’re the one who got butthurt over the fact that I DARE question the credibility of an “insider” on a message board. 

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

You’re the one who got butthurt over the fact that I DARE question the credibility of an “insider” on a message board. 

My man, I literally said "believe it or dont". No sweat off my sack. :thumbsup:

As much as I hate losing guys these were moves Beane had to make.  We had to stop with the kicking money down the road on players that are not elite and you still not good enough with to beat the Chiefs. Gave who sign with the Jags is a solid receiver but he is also not a true #2 receiver. I think the Bills understand that Diggs needs better receivers around him so teams cannot just load up on him. 

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Imagine working you way up the depth chart, balling out, and signing a big contract to be the TE1 of a top offense for years to come.

Then the very next offseason your team trades up in the 1st round to select another tight end, and the offseason after that, they're knocking on your day asking you to take a paycut.

Tough business. 

Which is exactly why these players have to maximize their earnings while they're able.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Like where? Truly asking since I didnt give it much thought, and most teams are a worse situation than Buffalo. What good team needs him?

He’d be an upgrade for the Bengals, Dolphins, Colts, Chargers, Rams or Tampa. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He’d be an upgrade for the Bengals, Dolphins, Colts, Chargers, Rams or Tampa. 

lol knox wouldn't see the field for the Dolphins

he's imprecise off the line and runs sloppy routes

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t really understand Von and Knox taking pay cuts. What leverage do the Bills have in this scenarios? They can’t really cut these guys due to the dead cap. Why do the players say yes?

I think we all focus on cap figures because we care about team composition, but a lot of that money is already paid out up front to these players.

The players are interested in receiving as much cash earnings going forward as possible, whether by a new increase in bonus/upfront cash to be amortized down the road, or just remaining on the team to collect base salary amounts. Their ability to receive new guaranteed money from other teams influences their leverage. When play has declined, they become more amicable to altering the terms 

Their dead cap number doesn't mean all that much to them is my understanding. That's all old news (old money) to them

Edited by Fetou

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So far Beane is having a very good offseason. Let’s keep it going.

Reworking the two only “bad” contracts on the roster (Knox and Von) is a huge victory hopefully they can get Diggs to slightly rework his deal as well