WR Diontae Johnson Available for Trade

Not needed.  I like Shakir’s upside and Johnson does alot of the same things as him and Diggs.  Buffalo needs a different style wr.  Pickens?  We can talk about that but for a day 3 pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

He is very good and has suffered from an awful OC and awful QB.

He is only 27 years old, and would fit well in our offense.

Assuming the compensation required is not significant -- something like a day 3 pick seems fine -- then I WOULD do it. The only thing that gives me pause is that 2024 is the last year of his deal, and he'd need to be re-signed.

Drafting a rookie in round 1 or 2 probably makes more sense.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Guy drops A LOT of passes. Does have some talent, though. I would be a buyer at nothing more than a late pick swap (we give them a 6th for Johnson and a 7th)

5, 7, and 2 are his drop totals from the last three seasons.

Much better than I thought, honestly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

So a shorter and lighter Shakir? I'd rather see if Shakir can play outside. 

Surprisingly, he isn't a slot guy

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

He is very good and has suffered from an awful OC and awful QB.

He is only 27 years old, and would fit well in our offense.

Assuming the compensation required is not significant -- something like a day 3 pick seems fine -- then I WOULD do it. The only thing that gives me pause is that 2024 is the last year of his deal, and he'd need to be re-signed.

Drafting a rookie in round 1 or 2 probably makes more sense.

I'm ehhh on it. I don't like going into the draft with such a MUST FILL mentality, but I am not sure if he is worth the compensation.

If the Bills pull the trigger for a 4th or 5th I won't hate it, but I'd still want to draft a WR high.

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

His cap hit is 15 mil. Not sure what acquiring team takes on ?  

His base salary is 7 mil so I believe that could be converted to a bonus

Pitt would eat the signing bonus, could possibly eat the roster bonus. $7 M for a vet is a bargain, but I'm kind of meh on him.

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm ehhh on it. I don't like going into the draft with such a MUST FILL mentality, but I am not sure if he is worth the compensation.

If the Bills pull the trigger for a 4th or 5th I won't hate it, but I'd still want to draft a WR high.

Yeah I honestly wouldn't want to give up a premium pick (nor do I think the Steelers can reasonably request one, since he's in the last year of his deal, wants out, and is coming off two lackluster seasons), and I wouldn't want it to preclude us from drafting a WR early.

If we could trade a 5th (we have three of them) for him AND still draft a WR in round 1 or 2? Sign me up all day, every day.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Yeah I honestly wouldn't want to give up a premium pick (nor do I think the Steelers can reasonably request one, since he's in the last year of his deal, wants out, and is coming off two lackluster seasons), and I wouldn't want it to preclude us from drafting a WR early.

If we could trade a 5th (we have three of them) for him AND still draft a WR in round 1 or 2? Sign me up all day, every day.

that’s key here. If Beane did this and then didn’t draft a WR early that’s a problem

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/07/diontae-johnson-is-a-misunderstood-player-elite-route-runner-analyst-argues/#:~:text=People look at him as,build and way to win.

He's one of the more talented WRs in the league IMO (not like top 10 or anything but probably top 30) but he had a really weird season this past year. Granted the QB play in Pittsburgh has been atrocious in recent years but he seemed to just give up last year.

NO! He’s an explosive WR, but drops and dumb mistakes seem to follow him. I remember watching a prime time game a couple years ago and saying “Diontae Johnson is the type of player I’d move on from if he was a Bill.” No, no, and no.

• Agree 1

If Jerry Jeudy only cost a 5th and 6th, we can afford this. 

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He's one of the more talented WRs in the league IMO (not like top 10 or anything but probably top 30) but he had a really weird season this past year. Granted the QB play in Pittsburgh has been atrocious in recent years but he seemed to just give up last year.

If I had to play in the Matt Canada offense, I'd stop trying too. 

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Kenny Pickett has almost twice as many starts than passing TD’s in his career. He had 6 TD’s in 12 starts last year.

Can’t imagine why he gave up. 

We need to stop trying to beat the Chiefs with choir boys and role models. 

25 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

5, 7, and 2 are his drop totals from the last three seasons.

Much better than I thought, honestly. 

On paper, yes that's what he's "credited" with. Watching games, he drops much more than that yearly. Drops are always comically marked low 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Kenny Pickett has almost twice as many starts than passing TD’s in his career. He had 6 TD’s in 12 starts last year.

cjg7rsgxpx0cskvyiaxo

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

On paper, yes that's what he's "credited" with. Watching games, he drops much more than that yearly. Drops are always comically marked low 

I’m sure the “2” could be easily dispelled by asking any devoted Steeler fan if Diontae Johnson dropped more than two passes last year. Their fans get super frustrated with him too. He’s like a more talented Isaiah McKenzie with the same penchant for dumb occurrences. I wouldn’t trade a 7th for him, mentally, he’s not the type of WR this team needs. 

Edited by Brand J
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

cjg7rsgxpx0cskvyiaxo

Von is old and slow. 

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The Stillers are trying to dump their garbage onto others... they finally realized it's not a Pickett issue but a WR/OL issue.

This is a sarcastic take, right?

51 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Would trade a second for him in two seconds 

Why when the draft class is deep and us being cap strapped? Not doggin on ya just wonder your take. I think he is an average receiver and wouldn’t want to waste any capital.

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

Why when the draft class is deep and us being cap strapped? Not doggin on ya just wonder your take. I think he is an average receiver and wouldn’t want to waste any capital.

Because I want good receivers not lotto tickets and Trent Sherfields.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

The nice guys at Cover 1 dug into his stats, and his drop rate has been lower than people made it out to be and while I thought he was a slot guy from his build he has played mostly outside. $7-10M on a one year rental (depending on whether Pitt pays the roster bonus) for a productive outside receiver is a steal compared to the money the current market for a productive outside WR. If Pitt goes for a 5th (or two) I'd pull the trigger

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

If Jerry Jeudy only cost a 5th and 6th, we can afford this. 

If I had to play in the Matt Canada offense, I'd stop trying too. 

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Like I said, I get it. The QB play has been horrible there for a few years and like I said, Diontae is a talented dude. Probably a better player than anyone we're likely to get in the draft and he would obviously cost much less than a 1st round pick.

I do wonder if he's viewed as a culture fit though. Even with guys like Von who have proven to not be a choir boy, he's at least a guy that you know will give it his all to try to help the team. That cannot be said for Diontae after this past season. I think he's worth considering regardless.

57 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’d give up one of those 4th round picks we got instead of taking a 2nd WR in the draft. But that’s about it. 

Meh...then you gotta take on that cap hit and/or pay him soon.

It's his final year and his cap hit is $15.8 million this year. Likely will want an extension of $20+ million if he has a good year...

No thanks.

Edited by Big Turk

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Meh...then you gotta take on that cap hit and/or pay him soon.

It's his final year and his cap hit is $15.8 million this year. Likely will want an extension of $20+ million if he has a good year...

No thanks.

A 4th is a one year. Borrow imo. Just to get you by. Especially with a rookie in the roster. In case he doesn’t come around fast enough. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

A 4th is a one year. Borrow imo. Just to get you by. Especially with a rookie in the roster. In case he doesn’t come around fast enough. 

He could also give an easy opportunity to dump Diggs next year if the rookie pans out. Rookie #1 WR and a vet with some good years ahead of him as #2.