Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ty probably takes us down to around 6.9

The first $1 million of Ty cap hit is already covered by the bottom player currently listed in out top 51.  Basically if Ty’s contract is 1.4, he replaces the bottom player out of the top 51.  Those players are about 985K at this point.  Therefore the impact of Ty’s contract on the cap in this example would be just over 400K.

So if we’re around $6m under the cap now. This + the $10m from Trey on 6.1 could prob pay for the safety who’s visiting, Clowney and our draft picks.

#28 wr, 2nd or 4th on a center and the rest for depth and we’re golden

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

So if we’re around $6m under the cap now. This + the $10m from Trey on 6.1 could prob pay for the safety who’s visiting, Clowney and our draft picks.

I don't think we are allowed to go over the cap for a little while and pay for things with Tre's money before we have it.

We don't have Tre's money until well after the Draft. We'll have our Draft Picks on the books and will have to address Safety (and probably a rotational DT) well before then. We can probably do that where we're at right now. But we have to wait until after 6/1 to play with Tre's savings.

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The first $1 million of Ty cap hit is already covered by the bottom player currently listed in out top 51.  Basically if Ty’s contract is 1.4, he replaces the bottom player out of the top 51.  Those players are about 985K at this point.  Therefore the impact of Ty’s contract on the cap in this example would be just over 400K.

So closer to 11.6 or 11.7 then.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

16 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

The Bills have cap space of  7.965 according to Spotrac.  This is without the cap savings from Taron's extension.  That extension should garner 4-5 in cap space.  That puts us somewhere about 12-13 million in cap.  Subtract about 2.2 for Johnson and the top 3 draft picks and we still have 10-11 million to spend plus White's 10 million in June. 

That's plenty of money for DT depth and a possible starting center.

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The Bills have cap space of  7.965 according to Spotrac.  This is without the cap savings from Taron's extension.  That extension should garner 4-5 in cap space.  That puts us somewhere about 12-13 million in cap.  Subtract about 2.2 for Johnson and the top 3 draft picks and we still have 10-11 million to spend plus White's 10 million in June. 

That's plenty of money for DT depth and a possible starting center.

Everybody keeps talking about Starting Center. As far as what the media's been told - that's already covered.

Connor McGovern is switching to Center. Part of our problem last year is Morse and McGovern didn't play well off each other in the rushing department. Both were good at holding their ground, but neither was great at moving people. So Morse goes out and we put McGovern at Center - where holding your ground is more paramount.

David Edwards was a solid starter for years in LA (and under Kromer) before he came here as a backup. Kromer loves him. We re-signed him to bigger money to start in between McGovern and Dawkins.

That plan was told to the media who conveyed it to us when Edwards re-signed. Is it possible that plan could change? Sure. But as it stands right now, they seem quite comfortable moving McGovern to Center and returning Edwards to a starting role.

I imagine we Draft a Center in the mid rounds for development and insurance. Or maybe sign a lower tier FA for that. But I don't think we're looking for a Starter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Everybody keeps talking about Starting Center. As far as what the media's been told - that's already covered.

Connor McGovern is switching to Center. Part of our problem last year is Morse and McGovern didn't play well off each other in the rushing department. Both were good at holding their ground, but neither was great at moving people. So Morse goes out and we put McGovern at Center - where holding your ground is more paramount.

David Edwards was a solid starter for years in LA (and under Kromer) before he came here as a backup. Kromer loves him. We re-signed him to bigger money to start in between McGovern and Dawkins.

That plan was told to the media who conveyed it to us when Edwards re-signed. Is it possible that plan could change? Sure. But as it stands right now, they seem quite comfortable moving McGovern to Center and returning Edwards to a starting role.

I imagine we Draft a Center in the mid rounds for development and insurance. Or maybe sign a lower tier FA for that. But I don't think we're looking for a Starter.

I meant starting safety.  Oops! I agree with your post.  

Rapp, Hamlin and Lewis are the weakest group on the roster.  We need another starting safety and quality depth from the draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

Looking ahead we started this offseason predicting the teams 2025 cap situation would be around $25M under. As of this AM on Spotrac our 2025 cap number is already $10M OVER. 

Moving on from Von next year helps. They can restructure Allen again. Plus some roll over will make up for that. 

But I cannot help but think the regime is tempted to move on from Diggs as a post June 1 cut/trade to free up $19M with the possibility of rolling all or most of it over into 2025. Then they get another $5M in relief the following year. 

If they feel they can get some rookie production in camp from their first pick, Kalil can flash on the outside to fill Davis' role, and Samuel in the slot  it may give them the cajones to roll into the offseason with that group. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Mango said:

Looking ahead we started this offseason predicting the teams 2025 cap situation would be around $25M under. As of this AM on Spotrac our 2025 cap number is already $10M OVER. 

Moving on from Von next year helps. They can restructure Allen again. Plus some roll over will make up for that. 

But I cannot help but think the regime is tempted to move on from Diggs as a post June 1 cut/trade to free up $19M with the possibility of rolling all or most of it over into 2025. Then they get another $5M in relief the following year. 

If they feel they can get some rookie production in camp from their first pick, Kalil can flash on the outside to fill Davis' role, and Samuel in the slot  it may give them the cajones to roll into the offseason with that group. 

I always looked at Diggs deal as most likely a cut/paycut in 2025.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I always looked at Diggs deal as most likely a cut/paycut in 2025.  

So did I. After his restructure he just becomes too expensive to keep all the way through his contract. But going through the numbers it is more advantageous to move on as a post June move this year than it is a new league year next year. New league year for 2025 only saves $5M. It only jacks back up to $18M if we go post June 1 again. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/

I think there might be an error on spotrac since they did their last round of adjustments. They have Diggs as a post June cut saving $500k and trade $19M. It has been consistently $19M for a year. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20211224005328/https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/stats-valuation/

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

$10 million over is light work. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

So did I. After his restructure he just becomes too expensive to keep all the way through his contract. But going through the numbers it is more advantageous to move on as a post June move this year than it is a new league year next year. New league year for 2025 only saves $5M. It only jacks back up to $18M if we go post June 1 again. 

I think there might be an error on spotrac since they did their last round of adjustments. They have Diggs as a post June cut saving $500k and trade $19M. It has been consistently $19M for a year. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20211224005328/https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/stats-valuation/

Oh i meant after 2025 season so the 2026 offseason.  

These are always estimates just because of all the different bonus structures and whatnot.  

To move him in 2024 -

4.3M signing bonus prorated over 3 years - 12.9M

3.2M option bonus prorated over 4 years - 12.8M

1.35M Restructure bonus prorated over 4 years - 5.4M

18.5M Base Salary (This piece would be traded) - 18.5M

So i see it as 31.1M dead cap total if traded vs. a 27.8M cap hit if kept.  If traded as a Post June 1st - you can move it across 2 years.  Spotrac has it as 8.8M dead in 2024 and 22.2M dead in 2025 so 19M in savings.  I'm just not sure how that would actually help our team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

After watching Beane work his magic, I'm not to worried about 2025 and the cap unless the NFL's income goes down drastically. If you cut Diggs and Miller after this season, you'd take and 38 Million dead cap hit, but save $12 million over the combine $50 cap hit.  I'm sure Beane already has a plan in place, but I agree there doesn't seem to be as many obvious places to find cap help.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Oh i meant after 2025 season so the 2026 offseason.  

These are always estimates just because of all the different bonus structures and whatnot.  

To move him in 2024 -

4.3M signing bonus prorated over 3 years - 12.9M

3.2M option bonus prorated over 4 years - 12.8M

1.35M Restructure bonus prorated over 4 years - 5.4M

18.5M Base Salary (This piece would be traded) - 18.5M

So i see it as 31.1M dead cap total if traded vs. a 27.8M cap hit if kept.  If traded as a Post June 1st - you can move it across 2 years.  Spotrac has it as 8.8M dead in 2024 and 22.2M dead in 2025 so 19M in savings.  I'm just not sure how that would actually help our team.  

I am not necessarily advocating for it, but I do think the current in season saving with a roll over make it an interesting conversation.

Assuming we move on from Diggs post June 1, don't spend a dime, and come into next season with an extra $24M in space, I think that number just about gets you to both a Douglas and Spencer Brown extension (something Beane has been rumored to be interested in). So with that in mind would you be willing to forgo this season without Diggs if it meant locking down a starting corner and right tackle for the next 3-5? 

I might. I might not. It would take some balls, but at the very least I would have to pause. 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

After watching Beane work his magic, I'm not to worried about 2025 and the cap unless the NFL's income goes down drastically. If you cut Diggs and Miller after this season, you'd take and 38 Million dead cap hit, but save $12 million over the combine $50 cap hit.  I'm sure Beane already has a plan in place, but I agree there doesn't seem to be as many obvious places to find cap help.

Agreed. I don't think the roster is maxed out cap wise but we are running out of major cans to kick down the road as well. 

57 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

$10 million over is light work. 

Agreed. But with the next draft class, signings, etc. We will have to clear a lot more of the deck to make room. I think the team is committed to getting younger. 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

There is no error. On 3/17 Diggs' $18.5 million salary for 2024 became fully guaranteed. If they had cut him before March 17th with a June 1st designation, they wouldn't have to pay the salary and the cap savings would have been $19 mil. Now, after March 17th, even if they cut him after June 1st they still pay the $18.5 mil salary so it's only $500,000. But if they trade him that guaranteed $18.5 mil salary goes to the new team so it's still $19 mil.

Edited by Tuco
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I have added Edwards to the OP.  

I've been trying to reconcile Spotrac and Over the Cap with little luck.  Over the Cap does have us with about 200K more dead cap than Spotrac.

So far, this is what I've determined.  Spotrac has an additional approx $1 mill in the adjusted cap figure higher than Over the Cap.  They also have 100 K higher listed cap hits by allocating a small amount to the cap for players under contract who aren't in the top 51.  Over the cap seems to allocate a dead cap amount for these players as their Dead Cap number is about 200K higher than Spotrac's.  No idea which site is utilizing the correct formula for adjusted cap and dead cap.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan

Spotrac has us at 8.54m under - without accounting for Mike Edwards, Casey Toohill, and Ty Johnson or the Taron Johnson savings.

Edwards seems to be about 3. If we assume Toohill (being a DE) is about 2.5 (just a guess) and Johnson is minimum - that would be about 6.5 estimate.

If we then push down the 3 lowest contracts to fit them into the Top 51 - that would make that 3.75m in accounting for those three (the difference between 6.5 and the 2.75 for the lowest 3 contracts).

So a rough estimate right now has us at about 4.79m under, without the Taron re-structure being accounted for. Reports are about a 4.1m savings for Taron.

So that would have us at roughly 8.9m under right now, by my calculations.

On 3/19/2024 at 7:01 AM, Mango said:

I'm convinced we'll be giving Von, Dawson and Stef all June 1st cuts next year. 

• Agree 1

• GASabresIUFan changed the title to Bills Cap Status - $12.5 under cap 3/25/2024 8:20 PM
30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Taron Johnson’s extension now in the numbers.  $12.5 under the cap before the recent signings.  Beane says he has about $8 million.

and $18 million post 6.1.24

$7 million:  Clowney 3 years 25 million, $9 million signing bonus, salaries; $2 million/$6 million/$8 million

$3 million:  Hyde, 1 more year, 1 year $3 million

$3 million:  Trey, 3 years $20m; $3 million singing bonus, salaries: $2 million/$6 million/$8 million

$15 million left for Picks/Taxi Squad; call it a great offseason

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:01 AM, Mango said:

this would be great. and with other holes filled depth wise I could see us trading into 15 or below if Thomas is around.  (even Mitchell perhaps).  If we stay st 28 perhaps double dip Mitchell (Thomas ideally) then Polk or trade up in 2 for Legette. 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Taron Johnson’s extension now in the numbers.  $12.5 under the cap before the recent signings.  Beane says he has about $8 million.

Is Tre the only designated post June 1st cut? 

• GASabresIUFan changed the title to Bills Cap Status - $10 under cap 3/28/2024 12pm
Posted (edited)

Cap space at $10 mill with the, D Williams, Clapp and A. Johnson’s contracts not accounted for. Edwards (S) signed for 2.8 for 1 year and the cap hit is the same.

Updated to reflect the Williams signing.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

On 3/3/2024 at 3:40 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

Edit by BuffaloBill (moderator):

I thought I would create one thread and do the following:

Merge the current cap projection threads

Provide a daily update for 2024 in the first post from sportrac and over the cap as being primary sources

While not a reliable # yet, update daily, in the first post, the 2025 projections from the same sources

The remainder of the thread will contain “normal” chatter on the topic.

2024 projections 3/25/2024 - 6:30 pm

Sportrac: 12,502,921

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original Thread Start by GASabresIUFan :

1.  McGovern's contract restructured.  Cap Savings $3.74 Million

2. Bills release RB Hines.  Cap Savings $4.66 million

3. Bates traded to Chicago for a 5th.  Cap Savings $1.44 Million.

4. Poyer Released - cap savings $5.47 million

5. Neal Released - cap savings  $2.88 million

6. Edwards re-signs -2 years $6 million.  Cap Hit 2.31 (spotrac)

7. Douglas contract restructure - cap savings $5.5 million

8. Morse released - cap savings $8.47 million

9. Harty released - cap savings $4.195

10. White released (June 1) -  cap savings $10 million

11. Matt Haack signed - cap cost 985K

12. Von Miller restructured - cap savings $8.855 million

13. Rapp re-signed - 3 years for 14.5 million - cap hit 2.842 million

14. Trubisky signed -2 years for $5.25 - cap hit 2.0 million

15. Morris re-signed - 1 year 985K - cap hit 985K

16. Knox pay cut & restructure - cap savings $6.4 million.

17. Dawkins extended - 3 years 60.5 million - cap savings $5.1 Million (updated 3/15)

18. Cam Lewis re-signs - 2 years 4 million - cap charge $1,481,500

19. Epenesa re-signs - 2 years $12 million +incentives - cap charge 3.94

20. Allen restructure - 16.7 million in cap savings  $16.7 million

21. DaQuan Jones re-signs - 2 years 16 million - cap charge $4.5 million

22. Nick Marrow LB signs - 1 year $ 1.5 million - cap $1.5 million.

23. Mack Hollins WR signs - 1 year 2.6 million - cap hit $2.48 million.

24. Ty Johnson re-signs - 1 year 1.292 - cap hit 1.152 million.

25. Curtis Samuel signs - 3 yrs 24 million+, cap hit $3.405

26. Taron Johnson extended - 3 yrs 31 million.  Cap saving $3.968

27. Casey Toohill DE/Edge - signed 1 year 1.125 - cap hit 1.015 million

28. Mike Edwards S - 1yr deal $2.8. milliom - cap hit $2.8 million

29. Will Clapp OG/C - 1 year deal - Terms TBD

30. Austin Johnson DL - 1 year deal - $3.5 million - cap hit TBD

Spotrac has us with approx 10,030,421 of cap space. These numbers don't reflect the signings of Clapp and  Austen Johnson.  The Toohill & TY Johnson contracts had little impact on the cap.

Thanks for doing this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:49 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm convinced we'll be giving Von, Dawson and Stef all June 1st cuts next year. 

I believe each team can only designate two players as June 1st cuts each year. I know that's what it was last year, not sure if there was a change to that.

In that event I would see Miller and Diggs as potential guys for it next year. 

• Agree 1

Now can we put an end to the doom and gloom regarding the cap.

And can we stop believing anything Beane says. He lies on purpose all the time. Every year he says they don't have money and don't expect any moves.  And here we are with a very good WR and multiple other solid role players. He jettisoned old and injured or in the case of Davis inconsistent players. They are still too old on the DL but I am convinced they will draft an Edge in round 1 or 2. 

Only move I really dislike is signing Epenesa.  Never liked the draft pick and he has done nothing to impress to warrant a second deal. 

I would have used Epenesa money on another safety. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And can we stop believing anything Beane says. He lies on purpose all the time.

You've noticed this trend as well? ;)

I love how Beane bends the fans to his will thru manipulation of the truth.       

He took over the job with plenty of cap space and almost no future cap debt/commitments and declares with a straight face that the previous regime has left them in cap jail to explain getting rid of big name young players they just didn't want.  

He's been down for whatever he has to say from day 1 and the Pegula's needed that in a GM in 2017 more than anything.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:50 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Now can we put an end to the doom and gloom regarding the cap.

And can we stop believing anything Beane says. He lies on purpose all the time. Every year he says they don't have money and don't expect any moves.  And here we are with a very good WR and multiple other solid role players. He jettisoned old and injured or in the case of Davis inconsistent players. They are still too old on the DL but I am convinced they will draft an Edge in round 1 or 2. 

Only move I really dislike is signing Epenesa.  Never liked the draft pick and he has done nothing to impress to warrant a second deal. 

I would have used Epenesa money on another safety. 

It's not like we went on a big spending spree.  We lost some players Beane probably wanted to retain and signed mostly marginal starters and depth players.  The challenges of managing the cap are real.  

Of course, Beane doesn't publicly telegraph his offseason strategy.  But he never said we wouldn't make any moves.  He just acknowledged there were limitations to what we could do.  Signing a big-name WR, RB, DE, or CB wasn't in the budget.  

• Like (+1) 1

Sportrac has everybody in now. DeShawn Williams vet min with only $15k guaranteed (great), Clapp also close to vet min with $287k dead cap if cut and Austin Johnson $2.3M cap hit with $1.2M in void years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Sportrac says we have $8.5M cap space, Overthecap has us at $7.5M.

Which is interesting, since it seems like a free money now. After 1 June, we will have $10M more, which is just enough for rookies (~$2M), 52nd and 53rd player (less than $2M), PS players ($4M) and some in season injury moves ($2-3M).

So whatever we have now seems like money we can freely use. I wonder if Beane planned to sign somebody more expensive and it didn't work out.

It also shows why Beane didn't convert everything he could from Allen's contract this year - he didn't need to.

The Bills are in a good spot cap wise. Beane's management of the cap is among the best in the league. From 2019 to 2023 the Bills have been bottom 10 in dead cap dollars and in certain seasons bottom 5 in that span. Even this season when taking a hit on Tre, Floyd, Po, Mitch and some others they are only 14th in dead cap at about 23 million (not sure if that includes Tre's dead hit or not but even if it doesn't include that 5 million they would still only be number 10). This was a season that they had to "clean house" a bit and they still didn't take huge dead cap hits for the most part. 

Entering into the 2024 off-season the Bills only had 2 bad contracts on the roster. Knox and Von were really the only two terrible contracts on the roster. And Beane got those contracts into a much better place. Knox is palatable to get out of in 2026 and is a lower number this season. Von's deal is much better this year and the team can get out of it in 2026 easily. No other contracts other than Diggs are on the horizon of being a possible bad contract and even Diggs they are only tied to for 2025 after that they can get out of it. 

So it is not shocking they haven't padding out too much money in void years, Floyd was the only instance of them doing that at a significant degree. 

8 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Sportrac has everybody in now. DeShawn Williams vet min with only $15k guaranteed (great), Clapp also close to vet min with $287k dead cap if cut and Austin Johnson $2.3M cap hit with $1.2M in void years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Sportrac says we have $8.5M cap space, Overthecap has us at $7.5M.

Which is interesting, since it seems like a free money now. After 1 June, we will have $10M more, which is just enough for rookies (~$2M), 52nd and 53rd player (less than $2M), PS players ($4M) and some in season injury moves ($2-3M).

So whatever we have now seems like money we can freely use. I wonder if Beane planned to sign somebody more expensive and it didn't work out.

It also shows why Beane didn't convert everything he could from Allen's contract this year - he didn't need to.

Not *completely* freely. The Practice Squad, 52nd and 53rd Roster Spot, and the In Season Spending Pot can come from Tre's 6/1 money. But Draft Picks are all signed before 6/1 these days with the new Rookie wage scale system, generally within days following the Draft.

So that money needs to come out of what we have right now, meaning we could probably spend around 5-6m now (depending on whether OTC or Spotrac is correct) if we wanted to. But not all of it.

• GASabresIUFan changed the title to Bills Cap Status - Approx $8.5 under cap 3/31/2024
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They are also 21 million over at this point for 2025 which is not ideal but at least better than it was this year.

I view those projections with a grain of salt.  We have no idea what the cap figure will be.  Who would have projected this season at 255? If you add White's $10 to the 8.5 we are currently under the cap, there may even be a cap carryover for next season.  

When I project the Bill's opening day roster, I see 46 current signees making the team plus 5-6 draft picks.  Add in our dead cap (about 30 million with White) and the Bills are at about $240 million for next season.  That's leaves a $15 million carry over (give or take some) for 2025.  This is with draft picks but without a practice squad or other moves, but it illustrates how much flexibility the Bills still have for 2024 and into 2025.

The 46 player depth chart looks like this (Starter)

Specialists - Bass (PK), Haack (P) & Ferguson (LS) - I think Haack beats out Martin

Offense

QB - Allen & Trubisky

RB - Cook, Ty Johnson, DRAFT PICK, Gilliam

WR - Diggs, Shakir, Samuel, Hollins, Shorter & DRAFT PICK

TE - Kincaid, Knox & Morris

OL - Brown, Dawkins, D. Edwards, McGovern, Torrence, Van Demark, Clapp, Anderson & DRAFT PICK

Defense

DL - Rousseau, Oliver, Jones, Miller, Epenesa, DS Williams, Jonathan, Toohill, A. Johnson & DRAFT PICK

LB- Milano, Benard, Do Williams, Spector, & Morrow

CB - Ta Johnson, Benford, Douglas, Elam, Lewis (S) & DRAFT PICK

S - M. Edwards, Rapp, Hamlin & DRAFT PICK

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 1