What realistic Free Agents are on your wishlist for the Bills?

Logic

Now that free agency is getting closer and we're starting to have a better idea of who will actually hit the market, and now that we know the salary cap number for 2024, I'm starting to look a little closer at the list of free agents to be. 

A few names I like below, and I'm curious to hear who you like, and why (bonus points for what you think they'll cost).

FS Geno Stone (Spotrac projects $7.2 million per season)
Started 11 games for the Ravens last year and led the league in interceptions by a safety with 7. Not gonna blow you away with athletic ability or speed, but is a very smart and heady player. Brandon Beane was just saying at the combine that smarts are the most important trait for them at safety, and Stone has the look of a guy who can be the new Micah Hyde, leading the secondary and patrolling the deep field. Shouldn't break the bank. 26 years old. Best football is ahead of him.

RB JK Dobbins (Spotrac projects $2.1 million per season)
This would purely be a cheap deal, low on guarantees, to see if Dobbins can rehabilitate his career. A former 2nd round pick who was extremely productive in college, but is coming off of a slew of serious injuries. I wouldn't want to depend on him as "the" answer at RB2, but he'd be a low risk, high reward signing and, if he can stay healthy, could prove to be a dynamic pairing with James Cook.

RB Antonio Gibson (Spotrac projects $3.6 million per season)
Has averaged over 800 yards rushing and 300 yards receiving per year throughout his career. Has plus receiving ability. 26 years old. In addition to being a good pairing with Cook, Gibson has shown the ability to be a capable RB1 when needed. Despite an already fairly productive career as a receiver, I feel he still has some untapped potential there, given that he was a productive WR in college.

WR Darnell Mooney (Spotrac projects $10.4 million per season)
Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott spent their recent combine pressers talking about adding explosive plays to the offense. Mooney would help add a speed element that this offense has been sorely lacking. He is just 26 years old and is two seasons removed from a 1,000 yard receiving season. Has deep speed and can take the top off a defense, opening things up for Diggs, Kincaid, and Shakir underneath. 

**Note I don't want to sign both Dobbins AND Gibson, but I like both guys for different reasons, and would be happy to see either sign with Buffalo.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Hard to really say at this point until we see what Beane does to create cap room via cuts, restructures, and paycuts.  It might not be realistic to expect much other than bargain basement bin UFA's.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hard to really say at this point until we see what Beane does to create cap room via cuts, restructures, and paycuts.  It might not be realistic to expect much other than bargain basement bin UFA's.

They have cap for whatever. I see at least 1 decent sized contract, probably at edge.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd be on-board with all except Dobbins.

I don't think most people understand just how catastrophic an achilles tear is for an NFL skill player. There is almost a 0% chance that Dobbins will ever be an effective player again. There has never been an NFL RB who has been anywhere near their previous level after that injury, almost all are out of the league within a year of their attempted return- see below. This is a 2 year old list, but you can add Cam Akers to it as well.

he7f3ucfxgc71.thumb.webp.90feea778a9c1ab47afdef8f4ef26afb.webp

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I really should look at all the names but guys have looked at liked before were

David Edwards returns, good backup G and as we saw played a part as our 6th OL in certain circumstances

WR Noah Brown, can be an outside #2 or a #4 gives us some flexibility in the draft

S K'Von Wallace, played well under our new nickel defense coach in Tennessee last year.

DT Bilal Nichols  younger run stopper that might be a better investment than Da'Quan Jones. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 947 said:

I don't think most people understand just how catastrophic an achilles tear is for an NFL skill player. There is almost a 0% chance that Dobbins will ever be an effective player again. There has never been an NFL RB who has been anywhere near their previous level after that injury, almost all are out of the league within a year of their attempted return- see below. This is a 2 year old list, but you can add Cam Akers to it as well.

Wow. That list is wild.

Obviously corner and running back are quite different, but it makes me wonder about Tre White trying to make it back from an achilles tear at age 29.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, wppete said:

Daquan Jones and AJ Epanesa. Sign our own and hit on the draft. We need to get 2-4 starters out of the draft. 

This is an interesting point, but I'm not sure it's correct.   I think there's a benefit to turning over the roster, year after year.  When you keep all the same guys, the "book" on a team is really good - the book that says how you can attack them   When you turn over the roster, even though you lose some quality players, you change your style of play to match, to some extent, the players you have.  As your style of play changes, if you have good football players, you present new problems to defenses.  The Chiefs have done a good job of that.   Get your quarterback, a few stud, core guys, and then don't be afraid to move one from one talent and acquire another.  The constant change makes your team better. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

Think we can fill the hole at S with Brandon Jones, who will come much cheaper and hurt the Phins in the process.

I think Dobbins is a great ballplayer but I don't know if he'll ever be the same guy again.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Simon said:

Think we can fill the hole at S with Brandon Jones, who will come much cheaper and hurt the Phins in the process.

I think Dobbins is a great ballplayer but I don't know if he'll ever be the same guy again.

Jones, J. Chinn or Eddie Jackson would all be good pickups IMO. Perhaps Mike Edwards from KC too

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Would like to see them get younger at safety but also dont view it as a premium position so don't mind filling the hole with a cheapish vet. 

Also Mooney Chark Reynolds Bourne at WR to go along with our first round pick. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Now that free agency is getting closer and we're starting to have a better idea of who will actually hit the market, and now that we know the salary cap number for 2024, I'm starting to look a little closer at the list of free agents to be. 

A few names I like below, and I'm curious to hear who you like, and why (bonus points for what you think they'll cost).

Started 11 games for the Ravens last year and led the league in interceptions by a safety with 7. Not gonna blow you away with athletic ability or speed, but is a very smart and heady player. Brandon Beane was just saying at the combine that smarts are the most important trait for them at safety, and Stone has the look of a guy who can be the new Micah Hyde, leading the secondary and patrolling the deep field. Shouldn't break the bank. 26 years old. Best football is ahead of him.

This would purely be a cheap deal, low on guarantees, to see if Dobbins can rehabilitate his career. A former 2nd round pick who was extremely productive in college, but is coming off of a slew of serious injuries. I wouldn't want to depend on him as "the" answer at RB2, but he'd be a low risk, high reward signing and, if he can stay healthy, could prove to be a dynamic pairing with James Cook.

Has averaged over 800 yards rushing and 300 yards receiving per year throughout his career. Has plus receiving ability. 26 years old. In addition to being a good pairing with Cook, Gibson has shown the ability to be a capable RB1 when needed. Despite an already fairly productive career as a receiver, I feel he still has some untapped potential there, given that he was a productive WR in college.

Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott spent their recent combine pressers talking about adding explosive plays to the offense. Mooney would help add a speed element that this offense has been sorely lacking. He is just 26 years old and is two seasons removed from a 1,000 yard receiving season. Has deep speed and can take the top off a defense, opening things up for Diggs, Kincaid, and Shakir underneath. 

**Note I don't want to sign both Dobbins AND Gibson, but I like both guys for different reasons, and would be happy to see either sign with Buffalo.

good post!! Stone would be a nice addition.  

Mooney for whatever reason strikes me as a player who would either be dynamite here or a complete waste.

Curtis Samuel is another WR who makes a lot of sense and played under Joe Brady

Gibson is intriguing. Hadn’t even thought of him. Assuming we don’t land King Henry, I’d be good with this

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Wow. That list is wild.

Obviously corner and running back are quite different, but it makes me wonder about Tre White trying to make it back from an achilles tear at age 29.

Achilles is pretty devastating to any athlete.  They don’t heal quickly because there is limited blood flow to the Achilles and it likely inhibits flexibility after healing.  Imagine a CB coming out his backpedal transitioning to running forward to drive on a ball - a lot of stress on the Achilles there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Mooney for whatever reason strikes me as a player who would either be dynamite here or a complete waste.

Agreed.

You'd be signing him betting that he's gonna be John Brown 2.0. The possibility exists, though, that he's Deonte Harty 2.0 instead.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Would love to have Stone but everyone else I'll pass on

• Like (+1) 1

Zeke Elliott if he’ll sign a one year three million dollar deal.  Great in pass protection, short yardage situations, catching passes, and would be a great in the running back room.  Still only 28.

• Like (+1) 3

My picks right now (depending on who ends up re-signing right before FA starts with their current team):

Darnell Mooney:

Young, fast and unlike Harty or Sherfield actually has had some success in the NFL. 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire: 

Should be extremely inexpensive. Has experience with Joe Brady and his system. Has played on large stages before in the NFL. Good receiver, decent pass blocking and would take over the Murray/Harris role rather well.

Geno Stone:

Solid player. Truth be told Kyle Dugger is my top choice here, but even if the Patriots let him hit FA, will likely be too expensive.

AJ Epenesa:

I'm seeing about $5.5M per year on him for projections. At that price I keep him around and structure it wisely.

DJ Chark:

Good size and speed. I've wanted him here for a few years now. Think he would thrive with Allen 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They have cap for whatever. I see at least 1 decent sized contract, probably at edge.

They don't have cap for "whatever". Yes, we'll get under some. And yes we'll got some stuff done to fill some holes with some decent guys.

But the Mike Evans, Chris Jones, Brian Burns - Top of the List, Day 1, Bidding War guys? Can't make any of that happen.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Get me a nasty 1 tech.  They aren’t expensive relative to other positions.  

Cut Miller and use that $6.5m to bring in Kahlil Mack on a 1 year deal once Chargers cut him.  

Move Rasul to safety and bring back Rapp or hard hitting safety on similar 1 year deal to Rapp last year.  

Sign Mike Williams to 1 year prove it deal once chargers cut him.  

Bring back Ty Johnson at RB and draft a late round RB.  

Spend on a 1 Tech (Reader if he’s healthy) and bargain shop on everything else.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

Re-sign Da'Quan Jones.

Re-sign Leonard Floyd, if possible.

Sign Darnell Savage or Jeremy Chinn at Safety.

Wide Receiver scenarios:

Sign Calvin Ridley. If that's not possible, go after Darnell Mooney or Hollywood Brown.

Sign a veteran journeyman. A receiver who may not be spectacular but is a proven player.

DJ Chark, Van Jefferson, or Donovon Peoples-Jones would be good additions, and won't break the bank.

I know that we don't know what we have with Justin Shorter and we did sign Andy Isabella to a futures contract, but the way I see it we should bring in a lot of receivers to have for training camp competition.

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Get me a nasty 1 tech.  They aren’t expensive relative to other positions.  

Cut Miller and use that $6.5m to bring in Kahlil Mack on a 1 year deal once Chargers cut him.  

Move Rasul to safety and bring back Rapp or hard hitting safety on similar 1 year deal to Rapp last year.  

Sign Mike Williams to 1 year prove it deal once chargers cut him.  

Bring back Ty Johnson at RB and draft a late round RB.  

Spend on a 1 Tech (Reader if he’s healthy) and bargain shop on everything else.  

keep Miller, decent chance he’ll make a difference. If Khalil Mack is cut he could replace Leonard Floyd.  

If Tre White stays, I’d rather try moving Benford to Safety.  Then you have Tre, Rasul and Elam rotating at CB

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They don't have cap for "whatever". Yes, we'll get under some. And yes we'll got some stuff done to fill some holes with some decent guys.

But the Mike Evans, Chris Jones, Brian Burns - Top of the List, Day 1, Bidding War guys? Can't make any of that happen.

Sure they can. Miller, Diggs, and White coming off the books soon. No clear big contract coming up, although I’m sure they want to sign guys like Rousseau, Spencer Brown and others.

But yeah they have space. Space doesn’t need to be this year. It really depends on the owner and his willingness to hand out out big up front bonuses.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sure they can. Miller, Diggs, and White coming off the books soon. No clear big contract coming up, although I’m sure they want to sign guys like Rousseau, Spencer Brown and others.

But yeah they have space. Space doesn’t need to be this year. It really depends on the owner and his willingness to hand out out big up front bonuses.

No, they can't. Or at the very least, they won't.

If you want to look at some mid tier guys or guys who will be a little expensive, sure. But the guys I mentioned - even if we did pay them less in Year 1 and went more in on bonuses - you're still looking at a Year 1 hit that is more than we can afford. Maybe 10 mil instead of the 25m annually that a Mike Evans is expected to yield.

If you're getting your hopes up for a Mike Evans, Chris Jones, Brian Burns type - you're in for a let down. He's already said that we "won't be shopping at Tiffany's" and that it's going to be "the same sort of stores we went to last year". 

As I said, we can get some guys and we will. But the Day 1, Big Splash, Bidding War types? They aren't happening. They're pipe dreams.

The cap can be finessed and it will be. But we still have FAR too many bodies to fill to yield a complete roster to go crazy on one player at any one position.

34 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

No, they can't. Or at the very least, they won't.

If you want to look at some mid tier guys or guys who will be a little expensive, sure. But the guys I mentioned - even if we did pay them less in Year 1 and went more in on bonuses - you're still looking at a Year 1 hit that is more than we can afford. Maybe 10 mil instead of the 25m annually that a Mike Evans is expected to yield.

If you're getting your hopes up for a Mike Evans, Chris Jones, Brian Burns type - you're in for a let down. He's already said that we "won't be shopping at Tiffany's" and that it's going to be "the same sort of stores we went to last year". 

As I said, we can get some guys and we will. But the Day 1, Big Splash, Bidding War types? They aren't happening. They're pipe dreams.

The cap can be finessed and it will be. But we still have FAR too many bodies to fill to yield a complete roster to go crazy on one player at any one position.

Well see now you’re saying something different. They can but they won’t. Those are different conversations. They definitely can. 

Will they? Probably not. Contract structure is always important. 

Bills have been one of the top cash spenders over the last few years. I wonder if they slow down for a couple years. That’s an ownership decision though. We will see. When you manipulate the cap you’re dishing out millions of upfront cash. Pegula may not want to again.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well see now you’re saying something different. They can but they won’t. Those are different conversations. They definitely can. 

Will they? Probably not. Contract structure is always important. 

I'm saying they can't in terms of where we're at and what we need to do. Can they physically do it? Sure. They could spend all their money on One guy and put 4th through 7th Round guys to Undrafted guys on the field to start. But that's not something an NFL GM is going to do. Especially one as judicious as Brandon Beane.

Playing the "can't" as a strictly possible v. impossible is a really moot point. It's black and white while ignoring the many, MANY shades of grey that go into decisions. When I say they "can't" - I'm taking everything into account. Where we're at financially and roster wise, what the move would entail in ramifications across the board, what he says, and how he performs as a GM. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm saying they can't in terms of where we're at and what we need to do. Can the physically do it? Sure. They could spend all their money on One guy and put 4th through 7th Round guys to Undrafted guys on the field to start. But that's not something an NFL GM is going to do. Especially one as judicious as Brandon Beane.

Playing the "can't" as a strictly possible or impossible is a really moot point. It's black and white while ignoring the many, MANY shades of grey that go into decisions.

Would you say $15 million AAV for a free agent is a can’t do contract?

I also don’t think you understand how they can structure a contract so the 1st and even 2nd year cap hits are very low. Harty and Von Miller were about a million apart in 1st year cap hits and about $100 million apart in contract value.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Would you say $15 million AAV for a free agent is a can’t do contract?

I also don’t think you understand how they can structure a contract so the 1st and even 2nd year cap hits are very low. Harty and Von Miller were about a million apart in 1st year cap hits and about $100 million apart in contract value.

the answer is Josh Allen. The other one😎 sign him. Re-sign DQ and draft Sweat🔥

• Haha (+1) 1

As teams continue to shed players to get under the cap, there may be some more decent options looking to land on a good team on a one year prove it deal.  Every year there are some surprise cuts.  In addition to the good options that have been discussed here, the K J Hamler signing may turn out to be an upgrade of the WR group, if for nothing more than better depth.  Injuries derailed his first two years.  If he can stay healthy, he could turn out to be more than a depth player at a cheap price.

I also believe Motor is going to be a free agent.  Some in this forum were disappointed when he left for Houston.  He wouldn't be my first choice but could be a decent consolation prize if the Bills miss out on other guys.  

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

As teams continue to shed players to get under the cap, there may be some more decent options looking to land on a good team on a one year prove it deal.  Every year there are some surprise cuts.  In addition to the good options that have been discussed here, the K J Hamler signing may turn out to be an upgrade of the WR group, if for nothing more than better depth.  Injuries derailed his first two years.  If he can stay healthy, he could turn out to be more than a depth player at a cheap price.

I also believe Motor is going to be a free agent.  Some in this forum were disappointed when he left for Houston.  He wouldn't be my first choice but could be a decent consolation prize if the Bills miss out on other guys.  

oh wow forgot about KJ Hamler

Tyler Lockett, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas are all potential $ cuts.  Lockett would be nice

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Clyde Edwards-Helaire: 

Should be extremely inexpensive. Has experience with Joe Brady and his system. Has played on large stages before in the NFL. Good receiver, decent pass blocking and would take over the Murray/Harris role rather well.

I want Beane to draft a RB and re-sign Ty Johnson because he earned a new deal, but I do like this idea as well.  He checks a ton of boxes for the Bills, plus he seems like a really good person.  That story from the KC parade about him shows him as a person of excellent character and maybe his KC mojo rubs off on the Bills.

Ultimately I want Beane to add starters on the Dline and S from free agency and then draft higher draft picks to step in and replace the FAs long-term by 2026.  I like the Chinn idea and wouldn't mind seeing DaQuan Jones return.  

What I don't want is any serious money used on FA WRs.  We have had a ton more success drafting guys for the skill positions; Allen, Cook, Shakir, and Kincaid to name 4.  Now it's time to invest in WR help.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, 947 said:

Was it a different D'Onta Foreman that had 100 carries and 4 YPC for the Bears this year? (No, it wasn't)

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

oh wow forgot about KJ Hamler

Tyler Lockett, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas are all potential $ cuts.  Lockett would be nice

Mike Williams might also be a cap casualty, at 29 he still should have two-three good years in him and give us the size we've lacked at WR for years and underated speed as averaged close to 15 yards per catch for his career although it is trending downward. 

28 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Zadarius Smith

Danielle Hunter

DJ Reader

Bud Dupree

Josh Allen (Jac)

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Justin Madubuike

Jonah Williams (Cinn)

Rasheed Shaheed (NO)

Shaheed is an exclusive rights free agent, it be nice to nab him but I can't see New Orleans letting him go. 

• Agree 1