NFL Player Team Reports Cards -- Bills players give Sean McDermott an "A", Pegula an "A-"

Logic

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards-2024

image.thumb.png.c2ad1553daf0f4c994a1b30376f44803.png

image.thumb.png.81f23ad6c365af87cebc6ea1dff142d5.png

Looks like the Bills dietician/nutritionist is not well thought of, nor is the team travel program.

Everywhere else, the Bills score pretty well across the board, with Head Coach and Team Owner being particularly interesting.

Also of interest: The Chiefs players give their training room a D and their training staff an F. Interesting...

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 7

These are from players ranking the different categories, solid overall. I'm surprised by the food/nutritionist part. Every "First 24 hours" or other video like to talk about the cafeteria and all the options they have.

Time for Pegula to write a check.

Edited by elroy16
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the Miami Dolphins players are brainwashed. No organization is that perfect. I think they spend most of their off time in the town of Stepford. 

And the Bills players might be getting sick of the turkey burgers.

Edited by Fleezoid
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I think the Miami Dolphins players are brainwashed. No organization is that perfect. I think they spend most of their off time in the town of Stepford. 

Apparently, living in Miami and playing for a cool bro does wonders for a player's impressions of the team they play for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Also of interest to me: The Chiefs players giving their team owner an F-.

F- !!!

Did the Hunt family personally slap the players' wives? Like...F- is BAD, man.

Hunt family promised them improved locker rooms. Then they won the Super Bowl and of all the promises made, none of them were kept except for getting the players chairs to sit on instead of stools. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I was also surprised by this. 

I'm less surprised when its a Bidwill or Tepper. Notorious cheapskates and jerks.

But the storied Hunt family? Wild. Robert Kraft also ranked quite poorly, come to think of it. 

It's all just fascinating to me.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, beebe said:

Hunt family promised them improved locker rooms. Then they won the Super Bowl and of all the promises made, none of them were kept except for getting the players chairs to sit on instead of stools. 

Yeah it's important to note that the FAMILY of Lamar Hunt Sr. owns the Chiefs.   So when it comes to spending money there is likely much internal debate among family members.   Whereas if Terry Pegula wants to spend money he just does it.    Lamar Hunt Jr. runs the Chiefs but his personal net worth is "only" around $2B so I would guess he isn't going to pick up the bill if the rest of the family doesn't want to chip in from their share of the profits.    The Hunt situation is probably a peek into what the Bills will look like under the Pegula children's leadership.   Probably won't be operating from a negative cap every year because all that re-structuring is VERY expensive.    

• Like (+1) 5

The NFL is kinda doing some of these teams dirty, the owners specifically. Clark Hunt F- is going to get all the headlines, and when I saw it at first I viewed it as the players have a strong dislike toward him and potential mistreatment. But if you read the survey, the question is asked to rate your owner "when considering his willingness to invest in the facilities."

KC's locker room, weight room and training room are all subpar and way below standard for an NFL team, let alone a successful one. But Clark likely doesn't want to dump a bunch of money into short-term upgrades with the planned stadium renovation coming up for vote this year (new arrowhead unveiled today). 

One of the things that stuck out most to me is how much players seem to like their coaches. Belichick in basically the worst year of his career still got a B-minus. Sean Payton, who I thought the Broncos players hated, actually got an A-. Only three coaches got less than a B-minus, and one of them was presumably Josh McDaniels, who was canned midseason. Of the nine coaches who got B or worse, only the Browns made the playoffs.

Edited by beebe

The airplane and food ratings are pretty concerning.

It's probably not a good thing for the team to deal with an extremely uncomfortable flight out for away games. This isn't Spirit Airlines. Every single % point for performance matters here. Do better.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

It's probably not a good thing for the team to deal with an extremely uncomfortable flight out for away games. This isn't Spirit Airlines. Every single % point for performance matters here. Do better.

I still haven't forgiven you for shooting my attorney in the face.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m happy we have good grades, but the whole thing seems weird to me. I don’t understand how making this stuff public benefits anyone. 

Public shame can be a main motivator to improving. Unless you're the Chiefs.

One thing to note is that the disclaimer at the bottom notes that the survey was in the field from August 26th to November 16th. So all those positive responses from Miami came before the December collapse when they were boat racing teams. The B- about Stefansky came before the Joe Flacco-led surge. But also interesting is that McDermott's "A" came BEFORE the Dunne article. I guess he never lost the locker room.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Also of interest to me: The Chiefs players giving their team owner an F-.

F- !!!

Did the Hunt family personally slap the players' wives? Like...F- is BAD, man.

It sure is! The Chiefs rankings also show that some fans drastically over rate this stuff and any effect is has on winning. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

One of the travel issues may be traced back to BIA. The runway is not rated for larger commercial aircraft from both length and aircraft weight requirements. This limits the team to smaller, less comfortable jets for travel. From experience traveling more than 100,000 miles per year, I’d much rather sit in a 757/767 than a 737 (even if the doors stay on) and I’m only 5’9”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

One of the travel issues may be traced back to BIA. The runway is not rated for larger commercial aircraft from both length and aircraft weight requirements. This limits the team to smaller, less comfortable jets for travel. From experience traveling more than 100,000 miles per year, I’d much rather sit in a 757/767 than a 737 (even if the doors stay on) and I’m only 5’9”.

Smaller jets? They normally fly a Delta Airbus 350. Over 300 seats and many of those are Delta One and Premium Select. I think they want the Bills to copy NE and buy their own 767 and equipment it with only first class seats. That 4 1/2 hour jaunt to California is brutal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

My guess is that the travel grades were skewed by the London game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It sure is! The Chiefs rankings also show that some fans drastically over rate this stuff and any effect is has on winning. 

I get your point, but I don't necessarily agree.

I think having one of the top five best head coaches in history and the best quarterback on planet earth can cover up a lot of other warts, and are the factors most responsible for the success the Chiefs have been enjoying.

Where I think these types of lists have relevance is in understanding why players would or would not want to come sign with your team in free agency.

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

I get your point, but I don't necessarily agree.

I think having one of the top five best head coaches in history and the best quarterback on planet earth can cover up a lot of other warts, and are the factors most responsible for the success the Chiefs have been enjoying.

Where I think these types of lists have relevance is in understanding why players would or would not want to come sign with your team in free agency.

It's fairly impressive for Buffalo to actually be performing solidly in many of these areas despite the overall lack of newness with Highmark, not having Jerry Jones money, etc. The more I read into these reports, it seems mostly like players griping about their facilities and amenities. Specific to the Chiefs, their beat writer is saying the locker rooms in the team practice facility is what is drawing the ire of the players. The team got new locker rooms two years ago inside Arrowhead Stadium.  Playing every year in brand new SoFi and Allegiant Stadiums probably doesn't help either when it comes to desiring better.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I would assume teams with the same grade are considered "ties"?  Or are they ranked by percentage points?

I was wondering that myself. Not sure, but would love to know the answer.

Just now, Logic said:

I was wondering that myself. Not sure, but would love to know the answer.

If it's just a tie, then technically they would be ranked the same as other teams with the same grade, so like Locker Room would be T-7th instead of 8th

47 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Great stuff. I did not know BIA had a runway renovation project back in ‘04. I moved away in ‘83. That allows larger aircraft to now land there. So, you’re right, Terry is cheap! 🤪

1 hour ago, BisonMan said:

I don't think this is correct.  BUF's longest runway is 8800 feet and IAG (Niagara International) has a 9,800 foot runway.  Either of these could accommodate something like a 787.  In fact, they flew one an A350 (Airbus' composite widebody) to London from BUF.

Not to mention other team's charters have to land in Buffalo, and they typically fly widebodies.  I suspect the travel rating is low because the team forces rookies and other players with less tenure to share hotel rooms.

WhatsAppImage2023-10-05at22_42.13_0ef77244.thumb.jpg.905a73e46d0c76ef9abf118ceb988e50.jpg

Edited by sullim4
  • Thank you (+1) 1