TV Shows you recall liking that seemed to disappear

Another Fan

I remember in middle school I'd get home from school and Top Cops reruns would come on.  Stories of police officers narrating reenactments of some stressful or life or death situations they got in.  The show was on a few years in the early 90s.  I know I enjoyed it and it actually did at the time make me think of police officers as benevolent figures.

I finally re-found some clips of this series on Youtube and was expecting to find it ultra cheesy/preachy.  But I was surprised the stories seem to hold up well.  This one about the McMullin brothers is good stuff.    Different world then

Anyone have any others? 

Jericho (CBS).  If they had put this show on A&E it would have been very successful.  The typical CBS viewer likes serial comedy and drama, not high concept shows about terrorism likely instigated by its own federal government and a second US Civil War.

NBC had some high-concept shows like The Event and Revolution they gave very little runway on that I enjoyed and then poof - gone.

• Like (+1) 3

The first show that jumps out to me is Freaks and Geeks.  That show was amazing.  I have no idea how it didn't make it past 1 season 

As a kid I remember being really into the cartoon Duckman but it never really took off like the Simpsons or Family Guy.  There's probably tons of cartoons like that out there that never really took off 

• Agree 2

Go back to the early 2000s for 'Boomtown'.  Two seasons, first season was done in the 'Rashomon' style, where the viewer repeatedly views a crime through the eyes of different parties to the situation.  Deemed too complicated to follow by NBC, dumbed down to a second season that only ran 6 episodes of a run of the mill police procedural.  Graham Yost was the creator / producer.  Excellent cast.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Go back to the early 2000s for 'Boomtown'.  Two seasons, first season was done in the 'Rashomon' style, where the viewer repeatedly views a crime through the eyes of different parties to the situation.  Deemed too complicated to follow by NBC, dumbed down to a second season that only ran 6 episodes of a run of the mill police procedural.  Graham Yost was the creator / producer.  Excellent cast.

I really liked this show. So many familiar faces in it, and I loved how they told each story.

A shame that it was cancelled.

• Like (+1) 1

NewsRadio was a very underrated show, IMO. I know the tragic loss of Phil Hartman was a blow, but it seemed the show was not appreciated enough by the network. They tried to keep going by adding Jon Lovitz but it wasn’t the same. I wish there were more old episodes to watch. 

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Another good show that only had one year.     

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3413236/

Oh hey, Tom Eillis! He was quite fun in Lucifer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839683/

Awake

One of the more interesting police procedurals I found, where after a car accident a cop wakes up in one timeline when his wife survived and another when it was his son, and he sees the ripple effect of either. Seems the concept was too heavy, I only found it on Netflix when it was cancelled.

Another one was New Amsterdam (no, not the medical drame) with a pre-Game of Thrones Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) as a man granted immortality in the earliest days of what is now NYC

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Same!

The 90's  Flash TV show had a costume 1000% better than the Justice League movie costume.  

CBS kept moving then show around interrupting the ability to build an audience which was for time a very expensive ($1.5M per episode) film which is interesting since CBS Entertainment president was the one who pushed for show.   The producers were too influenced by Tim Burton's Batman film and made it too dark which did not fit the character.   

https://www.cbr.com/why-the-flash-canceled-90s/

Directly from the star's mouth:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/john-wesley-shipp-reveals-why-90s-flash-show-only-lasted-1-season.html/

• Thank you (+1) 2

1) Young Indiana Jones. I think it only lasted 1 or 2 seasons Back in the 90s.

2) The Sing-Off. This was on about 10 years ago. Maybe had 3 seasons. The best reality TV singing competition out there— all acappella groups. That’s where Pentatonix was discovered, if anyone knows them. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Just checked thought it was Tuesday night, its Monday.   PBS Monday 8pm.  

That said, I think I get Rochester channels. 

Are you sure?  I have Spectrum in Rochester.  It's not on anymore.  

I liked The Finder, a spin off of Bones. One of the costars Michael Clarke Duncan passed away before they could of/ would of shot the 2nd season.

Another show I found amusing was Brisco County Jr. A western featuring Bruce Campbell, I think it did go to 2nd season though on UPN in the early 90's or so.

6 hours ago, Irv said:

Are you sure?  I have Spectrum in Rochester.  It's not on anymore.  

Looks like I have WNED out of Buffalo.   Its still on Monday at 8pm through Spectrum in Buffalo.  I watch it every Monday to try and slow down before I nod off.  

When I look up the WXXI station out of Rochester it still shows Antiques Roadshow at 8pm on Mondays.  Does Spectrum Rochester have PBS?  Its Channel 3 here.

2 hours ago, gdabillsfan said:

I liked The Finder, a spin off of Bones. One of the costars Michael Clarke Duncan passed away before they could of/ would of shot the 2nd season.

Another show I found amusing was Brisco County Jr. A western featuring Bruce Campbell, I think it did go to 2nd season though on UPN in the early 90's or so.

Only 1 season for Brisco County Jr. but it had 27 episodes.

Another 1 season for Jack of All Trades which had 22 episodes.

It looked as if he was able to carry a show but UPN could not find the right show format.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

How did you wife like the honeymoon in the cave?

We decided we are not the camping type, so we hit fast forward. Woke up in a lovely villa in Stowe Vt. Technology these days is GREAT! 

I concur with the mentions of Freaks and Geeks. Great show and much of the cast went on to stellar careers.

Another cool show that got you an early ax was Wonderfalls. It was set in a Niagara Falls gift shop where the protagonist, an Ivy school grad unable to find a job matching her degree, sees a different inanimate souvenir come to life each episode. The object would deliver a message that would set her on a path to help someone in need.

It was supposedly set in Niagara Falls, NY (my hometown) but the exterior shots clearly placed the gift shop in Oakes Garden Theatre in NF, Ontario.

All of the episodes are now on YouTube for free if you’d like to check them out.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.