Its Pretty Obvious why the Chiefs win every year

gonzo1105

Just wait during this off season when KC adds top end wide receivers for Mahomes. There is a good chance they will get even better. I will agree with the poster who mentioned that KC’s offensive line gets away with a ton of egregious holding (arms wrapped around necks, upper body tackles, etc.). Not saying that won them the game, but sure buys Mahomes time.

As much as I'm glad Josh is our guy, there's a little piece of me that feels like I'm having salt poured into a wound, knowing the Bills were the ones who provided the pick to the Chiefs that got them Mahomes. He has 3 Lombardi's and is young enough that it's not a stretch to think he'll continue to be a thorn in the Bills' side for many more years on the way to claiming more chrome hardware. 

the reason they won this year is not the same as other years, they won because that was the best decision for the NFL business, 49ers just stop running the ball and again, a decision comes down from another head coach that puts the team in a lower percentage win position,  we're all so surprised that the largest revenue option coincidentally happened, how amazing.  beat the bills and the ravens on road, down by 10 at the half and the amazing chiefs all by themselves won the game.

lmao.

it was entertaining though for 1/2 a game.

should screen shot my text chats as my bills fans friends and I just laugh about the entire situation saying the same thing, oh look they actually had to call the horse collar because you could see it from the moon but the holding, nah...

25 people around me all fans of different teams, all saying the same thing, "NFL got what they wanted and there were some stupid decisions by the 49ers, business decisions were made LMAO"  each independently asking for the script for 2024 and equally saying we'll watch anyways cause were addicts.

well except my boss who is a 49ers fan and refuses to think and NDA for players and coaches is coincidence, gambling has no impact and neither did taylor... fair enough, to each their own.

Edited by BillsfaninCT
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

When the game was on the line in OT, Mahomes drove his team down the field for the SB winning TD.  That is clutch.

I love Josh as our QB but he had the chance to win that game against the chiefs by keeping the ball till the end; instead he went for Hero ball and misfired.  That is the difference between the two...it is marginal..but that is what wins the SB

If we don't misfire on that lsat drive and forcing to kick a 44 yard FG (with a shaky kicker) then we are moving to the AFCC....But we failed. that is the difference between the two teams.

The game was only close enough for a throw late to win it because the offense was near flawless…that was an absolute masterclass of offense lol the list of teams that have  dominated a spags defense like that is very short 

if we didn’t have a practice squad level lb for the chiefs to pick on there’s no shot we lose that game 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

There is a difference between regular season and playoff football. Something the Bills are 0-3 against the Chiefs in. If it’s 50/50 the Bills would have won one of them 

There really isn’t that big of a difference between two top teams battling for seeding in the regular season and a playoff game.  The 1 seed is insanely important with the 2 seed no longer getting a bye that those are all getting treated as playoff games. 

if we were losing by 2-3 scores in the playoffs and winning in the regular season I’d see where you were coming from a little more but the last two playoff games and regular season game absolutely could’ve gone either way.  A 3 game sample size is just way too small to make inferences on especially when 2 of those games were ridiculously close 

If there is a team that potentially has our number I think it’s the bengals not the chiefs 

13 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

The Chiefs have the best QB/HC combo in the league by a mile.

Speaking of coaching, I haven't seen anyone talking about SF coaching at the end of the first half. Chiefs were in the red zone and winding the clock down. Why didn't SF use their time outs ? They could have gotten the ball back with approximately a minute and a half left. In stead they got the K.O. with 3 seconds left. If our coach did that, we all would be bashing him here on TBD.

Again, this stuff isn't rocket science when you have the best HC/QB combination in the NFL.

Chiefs have been stupid lucky with the injury situation as well and even when a rare injury to a key players happens it's not usually a long term situation and another guy steps up.

But to the original point of this thread, Brett Veach is the best GM in the NFL/all professional sports because he keeps drafting superstars vs. serviceable NFL starters and role players like the Bills and so many other teams. And yes he'll easily replace guys like Chris Jones and Kelce when the time comes, probably with even better players because that's how things seem to keep playing out in KC year after year.

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Where did the Bills play not to lose in the divisional round? 

Putting AJ Klein on the field over Dorian Williams. Unfortunately that decision sunk our chances of winning the game. McDermott chose the safe comfortable option and we proceeded to get whipped up and down the field because of it.

5 hours ago, Mark80 said:

If the chiefs are so much more talented across the board with players and coaching, then why do we beat them or only lose to them by 1 score every single time?

Because Allen has outplayed Mahomes in every head to head matchup since 2021. The QB is important enough to overcome every other disadvantage. If Mahomes had outplayed Allen one of those times it would have been a blowout loss.

Edited by HappyDays

42 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Not in the SB. 

But...McD hasn't done that yet. 

I keep saying it. But I wouldn't be stunned if your Bills HC in 2025 is....

Bill Belichick 

If Bill wants to continue coaching, then I could see the Cowboys going after him. Jones is letting McCarthy coach on the final year of his deal. If they don't reach Super Bowl next year, then I could see him getting fired. Jones wasn't happy at all with the playoff loss to GB as they weren't even competitive. Bill at 72 or 73 probably isn't interested in a rebuild. Dallas has a lot of talent. Bill could win there very quickly.

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Putting AJ Klein on the field over Dorian Williams.

That is coaching not to lose?  I was expecting kicking a FG or punt when they should go for it (of course you don't have that because he went for it everytime it was close) or just running the ball to burn clock.  Did you see the interview of McD after halftime?  What was your message to the team:  McDermott:  "Go for it".  You like Dorian Williams over Klein, I say both are terrible options.  Just because Williams is more athletic does not make him better.  He was routinely abused when he played this year.  The opposing offenses just manipulated him with scheme, it was broken down by Joe Marino a couple times.

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That is coaching not to lose? 

Of course. Klein clearly could not play the position but McDermott went with the known option. He was afraid the rookie would be too inexperienced. By coaching not to lose, he lost. That's what happens.

Perhaps Williams would have been a disaster, although late in the game when he was finally on the field he made a couple plays that forced the Chiefs to punt for the first time. But putting Klein on the field gave us a 0% chance to make defensive stops. Williams gave us a chance.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

Just wait during this off season when KC adds top end wide receivers for Mahomes. There is a good chance they will get even better. I will agree with the poster who mentioned that KC’s offensive line gets away with a ton of egregious holding (arms wrapped around necks, upper body tackles, etc.). Not saying that won them the game, but sure buys Mahomes time.

If they lose Chris jones they’d still be behind where they were at this season even if they get some better wrs.  May not happen but I guess we’ll see.  Either way they’re gonna have to back up the brinks truck for him if he stays lol 

kc definitely leans into the playoff officiating…i think they let a ton go both ways but letting both olines hold was a pretty big benefit to kc who looked hapless when sf was getting a ton of pressure with 4 in the first half.  They’re real grabby in the secondary too.  Hard to hate on them for taking advantage though as I wouldn’t say the game was unfairly officiated by any means 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Of course. Klein clearly could not play the position but McDermott went with the known option. He was afraid the rookie would be too inexperienced. By coaching not to lose, he lost. That's what happens.

Perhaps Williams would have been a disaster, although late in the game when he was finally on the field he made a couple plays that forced the Chiefs to punt for the first time. But putting Klein on the field gave us a 0% chance to make defensive stops. Williams gave us a chance.

Kelce was slowed down when the Bills finally put Sirran Neal on him after 3 quarters of Klein getting burned.  Not Klein's fault really either. 

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Putting AJ Klein on the field over Dorian Williams. Unfortunately that decision sunk our chances of winning the game. McDermott chose the safe comfortable option and we proceeded to get whipped up and down the field because of it.

Because Allen has outplayed Mahomes in every head to head matchup since 2021. The QB is important enough to overcome every other disadvantage. If Mahomes had outplayed Allen one of those times it would have been a blowout loss.

People are really underselling how well Josh has played against the chiefs lol especially considering how good their defense was this season.  

if the offense wasn’t near perfect we would’ve probably lost that game by 20+…the top disparity was huge.  Klein was just too big of a liability to cover up and the chiefs victimized him.  I don’t think any of the playoff teams would’ve won any of their games with Klein playing a meaningful role on their defense for 60 minutes. 

I understand the ‘injuries are no excuse’ people up to a point but the ghost of aj klein starting at linebacker against one of the best qbs of all time is a huge uphill battle lol kind of crazy we almost pulled that out…Brady had spags’ number pretty much all night 

8 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Kelce was slowed down when the Bills finally put Sirran Neal on him after 3 quarters of Klein getting burned.  Not Klein's fault really either. 

Our defensive gameplan was abysmal until it was too late. And this isn't hindsight. I said before the game put Neal on Kelce, and give Williams the nod over Klein unless he looks like a disaster out there. This finally happened on the one drive we forced a punt. I have no idea what McDermott was thinking before that.

Eventually our defense simply has to show up against a good opponent in the playoffs. No team is winning shootouts all the way to a Super Bowl victory.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, MJS said:

I remember a couple of years ago when the Bills were traditionally pretty healthy. These past two seasons have been brutal.

We actually had really good depth this year which is the frustrating part…our LBers got ravaged though…no Milano,no Bernard,no rapp who could function in an lb type role and Dodson playing noticeably injured.  If those injuries were a little more spread out to other position groups we would’ve been a lot better off

swap Bolton for aj klein and I don’t think the chiefs make it out of the first round…

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We know this because no rookies play under McDermott?  For instance Torrence and Kincaid had a couple years under their belt.  The bolded is just complete speculation on your part, there is no chance he thought Klein gave them the best chance to win?   Don't answer what you think, especially based on hindsight, consider McDermott and the rest of the staff have a lot more information on each player than you do.   What about the 4th downs he went for, were those decisions playing not to lose?  Curious if you will answer that.  If you had to say the third downs given the down and distance and game situation were playing to win or playing not to lose?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Our defensive gameplan was abysmal until it was too late. And this isn't hindsight. I said before the game put Neal on Kelce, and give Williams the nod over Klein unless he looks like a disaster out there. This finally happened on the one drive we forced a punt. I have no idea what McDermott was thinking before that.

Eventually our defense simply has to show up against a good opponent in the playoffs. No team is winning shootouts all the way to a Super Bowl victory.

This is why I've been onboard with a philosophical coaching change.  McDermott absolutely shreds dumpster to good QBs, but he's just too rigid when we're playing a quality offense. I think McDermott is good coach, top ten even in the NFL, but if you aren't elevating your defense in the big time games in January then you're just deadweight.

Chris Jones comes alive in the playoffs, a straight up wrecking ball, why don't any of our guys do anything remotely similar? On defense they shrink fast, at least Allen steps up in those critical moments. 

The bolded is just complete speculation on your part, there is no chance he thought Klein gave them the best chance to win?

I am sure he thought Klein gave him the best chance to not lose. He was wrong. It was a cowardly personnel decision that sunk the defense.

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What about the 4th downs he went for, were those decisions playing not to lose?  Curious if you will answer that.

I've never had an issue with McDermott's 4th down decision making. Overall I think it is one of his strengths as a coach. He's aggressive when it makes sense and conservative when it makes sense.

But that doesn't absolve him of the various personnel mistakes he made in his defensive game plan.

I mean how many more times does his defense have to be abused by good offenses in the playoffs before we accept that he just isn't a good enough defensive coach? He regularly allows offenses to have one of their best offensive performances of the year in the playoffs. It's a trend, not a one-year blip.

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Chris Jones comes alive in the playoffs, a straight up wrecking ball, why don't any of our guys do anything remotely similar? On defense they shrink fast, at least Allen steps up in those critical moments. 

We take them out of the game because we fear fatigue and a rotation of inferior linemen will do better.  You watch KC play wit 4-5 guys the whole game.  Do any of the Watts or Bosa's come out for a substantial part of the game on the teams they are on. We don't have one of them but how do you know when players are not given the same number of opportunities. Determine who is your best, leave them to gain endurance during the season and roll with them in the playoffs.  The best d linemen in the league save a gear for when it is needed. Part of it is the guy they are going against is lulled to sleep and then boom they make a play when needed.  

16 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

First lets start by saying I hate their guts 

Patrick Mahomes- Is the best QB in the league. Comes through 95% of the time with the game on the line and very rarely fails come playoff time. .

Yeah, I hate them too. I just don't get it sometimes.  Ever see Patrick without a shirt on? He's got the physique of a soccer mom on PEDs. Yet he goes out there and dominates like no one b4 him. God I really dislike him. Why couldn't Buffalo have an Andy Reid for JA? 

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Coaching.  Reid is one of the, if not the best offensive minds in the game.  Decades of honing his craft.  

Yeah? Well where was he before Mahomes? Just like Belicheck, you need the stud QB to put all that know how into play. Good coach who Mahomes made a HOF Coach. 

I havent gone through all 10 pages yet, but...

Has anyone pointed out the clear and glaring difference between:

Mahomes at the end of the game with 10 seconds left KNOWING that the ball must 1. come out of his hand right away and 2. ONLY be thrown into the end zone, even with an open Rice at the 4 yard line

vs

Allen holding the ball and then throwing it short to Ty Johnson just to get stopped and lose any chance at points?

It's those little things... Sure Mahomes would have loved to be a hero and make that completion and let Rice try to score, but it isnt the SITUATIONAL SMART thing to do. Brady doesnt throw it to the 4 yard line. Mahomes doesnt throw it to the 4 yard line. They stick to the rubric.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I am sure he thought Klein gave him the best chance to not lose. He was wrong. It was a cowardly personnel decision that sunk the defense.

I've never had an issue with McDermott's 4th down decision making. Overall I think it is one of his strengths as a coach. He's aggressive when it makes sense and conservative when it makes sense.

But that doesn't absolve him of the various personnel mistakes he made in his defensive game plan.

I mean how many more times does his defense have to be abused by good offenses in the playoffs before we accept that he just isn't a good enough defensive coach? He regularly allows offenses to have one of their best offensive performances of the year in the playoffs. It's a trend, not a one-year blip.

The personnel mistakes he made....in you opinion.  Just because you don't like the results does not mean he made personnel decisions that should be grouped as playing not to lose.  I just don't see that is how he coached for that game.  Just because you lose does not mean you can conclude he coached to lose.   They lost, we don't like it, I get it.  To your last paragraph about defensive performances in the playoffs, that is something else and I agree that is an issue.   Hard to not call it a trend, is it enough of a sample size to draw the types of conclusions I think you want to draw?  Not so sure about that.  What do you want to do about it?  

7 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I understand they mean something different (playoffs vs regular season). But in terms of play on the field and coming down to the last minute/ play here play there they are in The same zip code not worlds apart. 

i think with them being almost a division oppenent as much as we have played them lately, that has helped a lot.   

but like i said earlier....the chiefs find a way to keep stepping it up when it matters regardless of how good the other team is

i think if s.f. didnt have players go down during they game they would have won though. 

Kelce kills everyone.  You cannot keep him down for the whole game.  Yesterday 1 catch in first half, 8 in the second.  On the last drive in overtime  I watched Fred Warner throw him to the ground on second down, not letting him off the line.  I thought why don't more teams do that. On the next play Warner does not get a hand on him, Kelce fakes inside, outside then back inside.  Mahomes completes a crosser to him for the first down inside the 10 to set up the TD.  One of the best linebackers in the league was embarrassed on the play.  No one else picked him up as he crossed the middle.  It's like basketball you better man him and zone him like box and 1. 

Where the 49er's went wrong, they got away from their goto guy McCaffery until the drive to take the 3 point lead and also in overtime.  One the 4th quarter drive they exhaust him, he takes himself out and his replacement gets a run called back for a hold on the edge.  Forced a field goal there instead of a TD chance. 

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

i think with them being almost a division oppenent as much as we have played them lately, that has helped a lot.   

but like i said earlier....the chiefs find a way to keep stepping it up when it matters regardless of how good the other team is

i think if s.f. didnt have players go down during they game they would have won though. 

Don't love a lot of Chris Brown's takes but he said something after the loss that resonated with me.  It was something like "what if we are in the Michael Jordan era and the Bills are the Knicks".  I agree with you, they just find a way to win.  THe Bills find a way to win most games but when it has mattered against that team they have not.   But when I really look at the last two losses, 13 seconds was a coaching disaster, the players won the game and the coaches lost it.  This last one they made one or two plays the Bills did not.  Butger does not miss, Bass did. Chris Jones walked Dawkins into Josh, etc.   It was that close so even though the Chiefs are a dynasty and all that I cant help but go back to how close these games were/are.  No one can convince me the Bills cant beat them.

Don't love a lot of Chris Brown's takes but he said something after the loss that resonated with me.  It was something like "what if we are in the Michael Jordan era and the Bills are the Knicks".  I agree with you, they just find a way to win.  THe Bills find a way to win most games but when it has mattered against that team they have not.   But when I really look at the last two losses, 13 seconds was a coaching disaster, the players won the game and the coaches lost it.  This last one they made one or two plays the Bills did not.  Butger does not miss, Bass did. Chris Jones walked Dawkins into Josh, etc.   It was that close so even though the Chiefs are a dynasty and all that I cant help but go back to how close these games were/are.  No one can convince me the Bills cant beat them.

Luckily for us the NFL is almost nothing like the NBA. Jordan didnt come off the court when the other team had the ball.

Even with Brady's 20 year dynasty run, there was still that 2008-2016ish time frame where the Pats didnt win, and mostly didnt even make it to, a Super Bowl.

There should be opportunity for the Bills with Allen to pull one off, even with the Mahomes/Chiefs dynasty in full swing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Luckily for us the NFL is almost nothing like the NBA. Jordan didnt come off the court when the other team had the ball.

Even with Brady's 20 year dynasty run, there was still that 2008-2016ish time frame where the Pats didnt win, and mostly didnt even make it to, a Super Bowl.

There should be opportunity for the Bills with Allen to pull one off, even with the Mahomes/Chiefs dynasty in full swing.

Yeah but the scary part is the Knicks couldn't get past the Houston Rockets(Cincy maybe?) either :o

16 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

they can win...   but the bills are going to have to figure out how to come up big in big moments better.   

its like building a race car...u need the motor...all the right parts in the motor that work together, then the trans at the right 

stall speed and the chassis to harness that power and the tires and the air pressure for the track and weather conditions.

then you need the driver and you need all these things to work perfectly together and better than anyone elses on that occasion to win.

the bills need to get better at getting every thing dialed in and working together.  for a full game.   

20 hours ago, billykay said:

Speaking of coaching, I haven't seen anyone talking about SF coaching at the end of the first half. Chiefs were in the red zone and winding the clock down. Why didn't SF use their time outs ? They could have gotten the ball back with approximately a minute and a half left. In stead they got the K.O. with 3 seconds left. If our coach did that, we all would be bashing him here on TBD.

Shannahan falls apart in the Super Bowl. He has come up short twice against Mahomes and Reid as a HC and as an OC he blew the Falcons chance of beating Brady.

22 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Well, OP's original post which I was commenting on clearly states that Patrick Mahomes is superior to Josh Allen along with all the other top end talent and the coaching staff.  As I stated, this argument is illogical.  Something has to give.

20 hours ago, since79 said:

Kelce kills everyone.  You cannot keep him down for the whole game.  Yesterday 1 catch in first half, 8 in the second.  On the last drive in overtime  I watched Fred Warner throw him to the ground on second down, not letting him off the line.  I thought why don't more teams do that. On the next play Warner does not get a hand on him, Kelce fakes inside, outside then back inside.  Mahomes completes a crosser to him for the first down inside the 10 to set up the TD.  One of the best linebackers in the league was embarrassed on the play.  No one else picked him up as he crossed the middle.  It's like basketball you better man him and zone him like box and 1. 

Where the 49er's went wrong, they got away from their goto guy McCaffery until the drive to take the 3 point lead and also in overtime.  One the 4th quarter drive they exhaust him, he takes himself out and his replacement gets a run called back for a hold on the edge.  Forced a field goal there instead of a TD chance. 

This is spot on!  Mahomes gets the credit.  He's a great QB...and in the first half...because Kelce was buttoned up, he was ineffective.  In the second half, when Kelce got open, Mahomes was suddenly the greatest again.  Kelce is the real difference maker on that offense.  Chris Jones is on the defense.

And Shanahan was the weak link on SF.  He does this all the time, putting the emphasis on passing the ball, even when running the ball was effective.  His play calling after the interception was awful.  SF needed to be up by a wider margin so that fluke plays, like the muffed punt, wouldn't be so critical.  

KC has won 3 SBs...two versus SF under Shanahan.  Enough said.  The Chiefs are the champs.  Give them their due.  However, it's not like they are annihilating teams.  Their wins are by narrow margins, and it usually involves a lucky play or two.  

On 2/12/2024 at 12:38 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

I was commenting on someone discussing how upset they were that the Chiefs got McDuffie and we got Elam and the picks turned out the way they did.

Regardless of what either of you think regarding McDuffie v. Taron (even if McDuffie is better, Taron was better than 30/31 other Nickels this season) - Taron was already a very good Nickel when we were Drafting.

And we needed to fill the hole on the Boundary replacing Levi Wallace. McDuffie wouldn't have been the pick even if he were on the board. His height and arm length always meant he'd be a Nickel.

Opining over McDuffie v. Elam is like being upset over someone getting a really good Guard when we were in the market for a Tackle.

I think Elam still has some potential to be a very good corner in the NFL.  He has shown spurts of really good play.  Hopefully this offseason he can really focus in mentally on what he needs to do to be a starting CB in the NFL.  If he can raise the level of his game, having him Rasul Benford, maybe Dane and Tre, and that's a hell of a group of boundary CB's.

Mahomes, the interior OL, Chris Jones, and the coaches. The bottom line is that there are two ways to beat Mahomes, you either have to outscore them or sack him. The 49ers were getting to him early in the game, but once the refs established that they were not going to call holding on the KC o-line under any circumstances, the game was decided. The 49ers had built a lead and would have had to play perfect football to pull it off, and they didn't. 

That is my gripe with this year's playoffs. They just pretty much stopped calling offensive holding on KC and that makes it almost impossible to beat Mahomes. It was the same with Brady and the Pats. If you didn't get to him rushing 4 you were done. If you are going to let the OL hold, you can't beat them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.