Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

10 hours ago, Mango said:

The interesting thing is that if Diggs is a post June 1 move and we sit tight on our roster we would roll that $19M over to 2025. In theory he could add $24M cap dollars next season. 

Hey Mango, my brain hurts doing the math (or is it the hangover?)...

Are you suggesting we roll over the cap savings to 2025 if we cut him June 1? If so, what does that mean for 2024? Do we have to eat dead cap this year? If so, I don't think we have the room to do so without some massive restructures, which many don't want.

So how does that work?

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This would make me sad. If Josh can’t maintain control of Diggs, and we are relying on Mack Hollins to do so, let’s just trade him post 6/1 and be done with it.

Josh needed (and something he said last off-season makes me think he knows this) to be the "bad guy" and step up and shut it down.  It's a hard thing for him to do, because it seems his Dad engrained in him to "share praise and accept blame" and that's normally a trait I think we all admire, vs. Aaron Rodgers and sometimes even Mahomes last year, calling out his teammates and throwing them a bit under the bus at times.  

But Josh isn't always there.  There's a lot of watching film in the WR room and sometimes as a "receivers room" including TE and RB (where the position coach may be there), and just hanging out at dinners and etc (where the coaches aren't there).  There needs to be leadership and accountability in each position group.

That's my question and point - has there been? who has there been with the pedigree, production, and stature to counterbalance Diggs?

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Are you suggesting we roll over the cap savings to 2025 if we cut him June 1? If so, what does that mean for 2024? Do we have to eat dead cap this year? If so, I don't think we have the room to do so without some massive restructures, which many don't want.

So how does that work?

Post June 1... we would have a $8.9M hit this year and $22M hit next year.

From SI's Emmy award winner Mike Fisher (aka not just some blogger):

"The Buffalo Bills wideout is addicted to the social-media drama and he simply will not stop."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/stefon-diggs-drama-whatever-tweet-buffalo-bills-trade-speculation-dallas-cowboys

He knows he gets national attention with this kind of stuff. He needs to stop. It's childish. Stop defending his poor behavior.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Post June 1... we would have a $8.9M hit this year and $22M hit next year.

But @Mango brings up the point, I think, that don't just look at dead cap, look at the NET savings of dead cap vs paying his salary.

And I think Mango says that cutting him saves us NET $5 million next year but if we roll over the $19 million in 2024 savings to 2025, that NET savings then is $24 million with Diggs off the roster ($5 million net in 2025 + the rollover of $!9 million savings from 2024 to 2025).

So we would have an extra $24 million next year if he's gone. Mango, did I get that right?

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

But @Mango brings up the point, I think, that don't just look at dead cap, look at the NET savings of dead cap vs paying his salary.

Thats absolutely a good way of looking at it. 

It would cost us $8.8M in dead cap this year, but we would also save his salary and cap space.

Therefore, we would open up nearly $19M of cap space by trading/cutting him post June 1st.

Just now, Einstein said:

Thats absolutely a good way of looking at it. 

It would cost us $8.8M in dead cap this year, but we would also save his salary and cap space.

Therefore, we would open up nearly $19M of cap space by trading/cutting him post June 1st.

In spite of all the BS (IMHO) he causes with his messages and waving goodbye in a Bills uni Twitter bio pic (what a juvenile thing to do) I think it's a huge gamble to think a rookie and Samuels can be our top two WRs this year... 

So I think he plays one more year and is gone. But who knows. I just wish he'd shut up and focus on doing what team leaders should do.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's my question and point - has there been? who has there been with the pedigree, production, and stature to counterbalance Diggs?

No. But there never will be. Diggs ain’t gonna listen to Mack Hollins. 

Brady is famous for reigning in Randy Moss (probably with some help from Bill). It wasn’t Wes Welker or Deion Branch.

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

So how does that work?

The Diggs contract is complicated because his $18.5M 2024 salary guarantees..........tomorrow.

So if we cut Diggs today and designate him as our other post-June-1 cut (Tre White being the other), we are no longer obligated for his salary guarantee; the portion of his amortized bonuses assigned to this year count against this year's cap (that would be $8.849M, giving us something like $19.36M savings this season); BUT, we roll the rest of his dead cap from amortized signing bonuses onto next season's cap (that would be $22.25M by my calculation).

At least, that's how I understand it to work.

Just now, FireChans said:

No. But there never will be. Diggs ain’t gonna listen to Mack Hollins. 

Brady is famous for reigning in Randy Moss (probably with some help from Bill). It wasn’t Wes Welker or Deion Branch.

I'm hoping, maybe after Diggs leaves, whenever that is, that Josh steps up his leadership that way.

I remember when Peyton Manning had his leadership in the lockerroom questioned ("Stupid kicker")... He later stepped it up.

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

In spite of all the BS (IMHO) he causes with his messages and waving goodbye in a Bills uni Twitter bio pic (what a juvenile thing to do) I think it's a huge gamble to think a rookie and Samuels can be our top two WRs this year... 

So I think he plays one more year and is gone. But who knows. I just wish he'd shut up and focus on doing what team leaders should do.

I think you're more than likely correct.

The other side of this coin though, is keeping him for another season strips most of his value away. We would be trying to trade a receiver about to turn 32 years old next offseason. I dont see it happening.

It's likely now or never. 

16 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

So how does that work?

Diggs nets us $19M in totally cap dollars in 2024 if we cut/trade him after June 1.

If we don’t spend any of that money in the 2024 season it rolls over to 2025.

His immediate effect on the 2025 cap if we cut/trade him on June 1 is +$5M.

In theory Diggs could give us $24M more dollars if we don’t touch the $19M this year.

Forget the dead cap number. The key is the delta between dead cap and cap hit on the roster.  

10 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

And I think Mango says that cutting him saves us NET $5 million next year but if we roll over the $19 million in 2024 savings to 2025, that NET savings then is $24 million with Diggs off the roster ($5 million net in 2025 + the rollover of $!9 million savings from 2024 to 2025).

So we would have an extra $24 million next year if he's gone. Mango, did I get that right?

Nailed it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So if we cut Diggs today and designate him as our other post-June-1 cut (Tre White being the other), we are no longer obligated for his salary guarantee; the portion of his amortized bonuses assigned to this year count against this year's cap (that would be $8.849M, giving us something like $19.36M savings this season); BUT, we roll the rest of his dead cap from amortized signing bonuses onto next season's cap (that would be $22.25M by my calculation).

This is right. And we technically save cap space either way. 

We would save $19M in cap space this year, and $5M in cap space next year.

Mango made the excellent point that we could then roll that $19M savings into next year and open up $24M in cap space for 2025 by cutting or trading him post June 1st.

Having $24M more to work with next year is tempting.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Diggs nets us $19M in totally cap dollars in 2024 if we cut/trade him after June 1.

If we don’t spend any of that money in the 2024 season it rolls over to 2025.

His immediate effect on the 2025 cap if we cut/trade him on June 1 is +$5M.

In theory Diggs could give us $24M more dollars if we don’t touch the $19M this year.

Forget the dead cap number. The key is the delta between dead cap and cap hit on the roster.  

I will just say I am not following your reasoning on this point. 

I do know that you understand the cap.

I'm sure that you understand there's no such thing as a "post june 1" designation for a trade as there is for a cut, where the team's obligations for this season void but the cap stays on the books until post- june 1 ( a trade can actually occur on or after June 1 of course, but the team incurs the obligation of all this season's guarantees)

So can you explain what you mean by the statement "Diggs nets us $19M in total cap dollars in 2024 if we cut/trade him after June 1"?  

If we cut him today with a post-June-1 designation, Check.

If we trade him after June 1 - that entirely depends upon whether and how much of his then fully-guaranteed $18.5M salary the trade partner takes on OR if he's cut after today, upon whether he has offset language in his contract which precludes "double dipping" and offers us relief to the extent of any salary in a new contract he signs

I'm also puzzled by the "in theory Diggs could give us $24M more dollars if we don't touch the $19M this year".

I think this isn't a way contract impacts on the cap are usually viewed, perhaps for good reason.

Edited by Beck Water

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Diggs knows exactly what he’s doing with the social media BS.  Basically daring McBeane to cut or trade him before his 2024 salary becomes guaranteed tomorrow.  If it actually happens, he can say he wanted it too 

I agree Diggs likes his social media.  But the quote "Ready for watever" does not indicate to me that Diggs wants out. 

"Ready for watever" seems to me to be subtle acceptance that he might get shipped out.  He was probably approached by Beane to take a pay cut and told Beane to get lost.  Diggs certainly knows about the 17th date and its implications.  He's probably heard through his agent that there is talk of trading him.

Diggs knows this is a business.  He didn't do the Von and Knox reduction and he is at risk for the wrath of Beane in that regard.  It doesn't mean Diggs wanted out, it just means he wants his money.

For those saying "draft his replacement," here is a list of every WR drafted in 2021 between Jalen Waddle (#6) and Amon-Ra St. Brown (#112). 

• DeVonta Smith
  • Kadarius Toney
  • Rashod Bateman
  • Elijah Moore
  • Rondale Moore
  • D'Wayne Eskridge
  • Tutu Atwell
  • Terrace Marshall Jr.
  • Josh Palmer
  • Dyami Brown
  • Amari Rodgers
  • Nico Collins
  • Anthony Schwartz
  • Dez Fitzpatrick

I know that this year's draft is strong at WR, but my point is that the draft is always a crap shoot outside of the top two guys at any position. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

For those saying "draft his replacement," here is a list of every WR drafted in 2021 between Jalen Waddle (#6) and Amon-Ra St. Brown (#112). 

• DeVonta Smith
  • Kadarius Toney
  • Rashod Bateman
  • Elijah Moore
  • Rondale Moore
  • D'Wayne Eskridge
  • Tutu Atwell
  • Terrace Marshall Jr.
  • Josh Palmer
  • Dyami Brown
  • Amari Rodgers
  • Nico Collins
  • Anthony Schwartz
  • Dez Fitzpatrick

I know that this year's draft is strong at WR, but my point is that the draft is always a crap shoot outside of the top two guys at any position. 

Not to take away from your point, but it's not even "the top 2 guys drafted at any position".

Look at the 2018 QB draft.  I think there's a clear consensus at this point that the top-2 guys are Josh Allen (the 3rd QB picked) and Lamar Jackson (the 5th)

Look at the 2022 WR draft - the first two WR drafted were Smith-Njigba and Quentin Johnson, but the next two WR drafted (Zay Flowers and Jordan Addison)  out-performed them last season.  And Rashee Rice (drafted at #55 in the 2nd round) outperformed everyone else drafted in the first 3 rounds.

To further your point that the draft is a crap shoot in many regards, the best receiver in that 2022 draft so far was drafted in the 5th round.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Could be anything. Could be saying goodbye to a lot of his teammates and  friends that got cut and  preparing for what happens with new ones. People always assume the worst of him and they’re always wrong. Maybe they need a hobby 

He knows by now he is stirring up angst.  Either he enjoys it or he is trying to make Bills want to release / trade him.  Last year he stirred a lot of stuff in Dallass where his brother played.

Comes down to who would trade and how high do they pick.  Do you make that move for Brian Thomas Jr?  I dont.  Nabers or Harrison sure but why would the team trade that.  Diggs is a great player.  Keep him and get better.  

33 minutes ago, yall said:

From SI's Emmy award winner Mike Fisher (aka not just some blogger):

"The Buffalo Bills wideout is addicted to the social-media drama and he simply will not stop."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/stefon-diggs-drama-whatever-tweet-buffalo-bills-trade-speculation-dallas-cowboys

He knows he gets national attention with this kind of stuff. He needs to stop. It's childish. Stop defending his poor behavior.

He has a point:

Diggs is a brilliant player who faded in the second half of last season. The Bills have made a massive financial commitment to him and have said all the right things about him being a "No. 1 wide receiver'' and all the rest. But when we guess and assess as to all of the reasons the Bills cannot quite get over the hump?

How to we avoid wondering if Stefon's annual teases about trades and unhappiness and money and authority and whatever - and now, "Ready for whatever'' - are not only not the Buffalo solution .......But are maybe the Buffalo problem?

It's for reals that the man seems to need a mirror.

OTOH, I do think the degree of furor over this particular tweet is overblown.  I could say "it's childish; stop attacking him for acknowledging that the NFL is a business and regardless of what he prefers, at this time of the year a player can be swapped or cut."

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Not to take away from your point, but it's not even "the top 2 guys drafted at any position".

Look at the 2018 QB draft.  I think there's a clear consensus at this point that the top-2 guys are Josh Allen (the 3rd QB picked) and Lamar Jackson (the 5th)

Look at the 2022 WR draft - the first two WR drafted were Smith-Njigba and Quentin Johnson, but the next two WR drafted (Zay Flowers and Jordan Addison)  out-performed them last season.  And Rashee Rice (drafted at #55 in the 2nd round) outperformed everyone else drafted in the first 3 rounds.

To further your point that the draft is a crap shoot in many regards, the best receiver in that 2022 draft so far was drafted in the 5th round.

I think you mean 2023 in those last two paragraphs, but we agree on the main point. Remember the lead-up to the 2018 draft? Everyone was sure that Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen were can't-miss prospects and that Allen and Jackson were projects that came with significant risk. There was major, nationwide consensus on this. And the consensus was entirely wrong. I fear the same for this draft at WR. There is never a draft where all the hyped prospects hit. NEVER. All that said, I still think that the Bills should take a swing. 

25 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm hoping, maybe after Diggs leaves, whenever that is, that Josh steps up his leadership that way.

I remember when Peyton Manning had his leadership in the lockerroom questioned ("Stupid kicker")... He later stepped it up.

I feel like, maybe hope.. that when Diggs is gone, Josh Allen truly becomes that type of leader and I have a feeling that when Diggs is no longer here.. Kincaid becomes an absolute superstar. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I feel like, maybe hope.. that when Diggs is gone, Josh Allen truly becomes that type of leader and I have a feeling that when Diggs is no longer here.. Kincaid becomes an absolute superstar. 

Agree

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I think you mean 2023 in those last two paragraphs, but we agree on the main point. Remember the lead-up to the 2018 draft? Everyone was sure that Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen were can't-miss prospects and that Allen and Jackson were projects that came with significant risk. There was major, nationwide consensus on this. And the consensus was entirely wrong. I fear the same for this draft at WR. There is never a draft where all the hyped prospects hit. NEVER. All that said, I still think that the Bills should take a swing. 

Right on all counts.

The real question is always, how good was the drafting team's scouting of the position?

The Bills do seem to have a knack for being able to identify WR who can play from the later rounds.  The question is, do they have the ability to identify the guys who can really play from the top rounds?

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Right on all counts.

The real question is always, how good was the drafting team's scouting of the position?

The Bills do seem to have a knack for being able to identify WR who can play from the later rounds.  The question is, do they have the ability to identify the guys who can really play from the top rounds?

True, but sometimes it is just luck (good or bad). We want to think that it's always scouting so that we have someone to blame when things don't work out, but for every Amon-Ra St. Brown there is a Jalen Reagor. Speaking of Reagor, people here think Howie Roseman is a genius but that dude took Reagor one pick before Justin Jefferson. If Beane would have done that, those same posters calling Roseman a genius would bring it up as much as they bring up Wyatt Teller. 

42 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

It seems like you're considering his twitter pic showing him waving good-bye in a Bills uni to be some sort of provocation (like he's waving goodbye to the Bills?)

But when he put it there, it was just celebrating a successful play, waving good-bye to the DBs chasing him.  The line between rightful pride in ability and "juvenile" is always going to be thin I guess.

I do agree with you that it's a huge gamble to count on a rookie and Samuels as our two top WR and agree with you that if Diggs would shut up and lock in, it would be better for the Bills, AND for him in the long run.

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Sometimes you bet on snake eyes because you feel lucky and sometimes you just take as many rolls as you can.

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

How exactly is Diggs preventing Allen from becoming a leader?  True leaders find a way.  I don’t think of Allen as a follower by any means, he is somewhat of a leader, but if he was ever going to be a true full time alpha leader, he would be one already.  Blaming Diggs for Allen being a goofy Golden Retriever type of a personality is misplaced.  

BTW I have no qualms having Allen at QB at all.  And I don’t think he should artificially try to change his personality.  We can win with his personality and he should just be himself.  I don’t have any problem with Diggs personality either.  If I were to get out a magnifying glass and look for something I might worry a little about it might be Diggs expecting everyone to have a style just like his.

When I scan the league’s QBs, who do I see as a “leader” that meets what I perceive……perhaps erroneously….to be your criteria?  A Jim Kelly type?

I don’t see many.  It’s a different generation.  Even Mahomes is just a maybe for me as is Burrow.  Mayfield kind of has that vibe but isn’t good enough to back it up.  Stafford?  To a degree.

Maybe some of the younger guys are like that and feeling their way, Stroud, Love etc.  I don’t know much about the rookies but mommy crying Williams ain’t it that’s for sure.

31 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I will just say I am not following your reasoning on this point. 

I do know that you understand the cap.

I'm sure that you understand there's no such thing as a "post june 1" designation for a trade as there is for a cut, where the team's obligations for this season void but the cap stays on the books until post- june 1 ( a trade can actually occur on or after June 1 of course, but the team incurs the obligation of all this season's guarantees)

So can you explain what you mean by the statement "Diggs nets us $19M in total cap dollars in 2024 if we cut/trade him after June 1"?  

If we cut him today with a post-June-1 designation, Check.

If we trade him after June 1 - that entirely depends upon whether and how much of his then fully-guaranteed $18.5M salary the trade partner takes on OR if he's cut after today, upon whether he has offset language in his contract which precludes "double dipping" and offers us relief to the extent of any salary in a new contract he signs

I'm also puzzled by the "in theory Diggs could give us $24M more dollars if we don't touch the $19M this year".

I think this isn't a way contract impacts on the cap are usually viewed, perhaps for good reason.

The Bills save $19M cutting or trading Diggs post June 1 per both Spotrac and OTC.

I am unsure what the confusion is over the post June 1 trades or stipulations in Diggs contract.  In a trade the receiving team picks up his contract. Yes. But there is no “how much they are willing”. The NFL isn’t the NHL, you can’t barter what costs to keep in house and what you don’t.. You either take the contract or you don’t make the trade. 

Worth noting that because of Diggs restructure the receiving team can cut Diggs more or less whenever they want for next no zero cap implications. His cap number for the receiving team would be right around 16th in the league among WR. That decent value with almost no commitment. 

The $24M I’m talking about is rolling over the $19M. (Assuming they don’t spend it)

1 minute ago, Punching Bag said:

Sometimes you bet on snake eyes because you feel lucky and sometimes you just take as many rolls as you can.

The problem is that if the Bills trade Diggs, they have to absolutely hit on an immediate #1 WR in the latter half of the first round. Not a guy that can be #1 in a few years as he develops. No, they need a guy who is the #1 WR from the first snap in camp. If they were looking at the possibility of Marv or Nabers, then sure. But they are not, and I believe that we (and everyone else) are falling into the trap of comparing draft prospects against each other instead of projecting themselves into the league and comparing them to guys already playing in the NFL. 

But I should probably take this discussion to the 2024 WR thread and leave this one to a bunch of grown men complaining about a WR acting like a diva on social media. 

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The problem is that if the Bills trade Diggs, they have to absolutely hit on an immediate #1 WR in the latter half of the first round. Not a guy that can be #1 in a few years as he develops. No, they need a guy who is the #1 WR from the first snap in camp. If they were looking at the possibility of Marv or Nabers, then sure. But they are not, and I believe that we (and everyone else) are falling into the trap of comparing draft prospects against each other instead of projecting themselves into the league and comparing them to guys already playing in the NFL. 

But I should probably take this discussion to the 2024 WR thread and leave this one to a bunch of grown men complaining about a WR acting like a diva on social media. 

He’s brought this on himself, if he wasn’t a regular no show in the post season then everyone would ignore his social media antics, but he hasn’t been the same since the Bengals playoff loss and along with his playoff no shows, his second half of last years regular season wasn’t good.

I would respect him if he just came out and said  “I don’t think this coach or this QB or both aren’t doing what I believe they need to do, and I want out” but instead he sends signals to the league he isn’t happy in hopes it creates a market and someone comes and saves him.

He did it in Minnesota and he’s doing it now, is what it is.

Edited by julian
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, julian said:

He’s brought this on himself, if he wasn’t a regular no show in the post season then everyone would ignore his social media antics, but he hasn’t been the same since the Bengals playoff loss and along with his playoff no shows, his second half of last years regular season wasn’t good.

I would respect him if he just came out and said  “I don’t think this coach or this QB or both aren’t doing what I believe they need to do, and I want out” but instead he sends signals to the league he isn’t happy in hopes it creates a market and someone comes and saves him.

He did it in Minnesota and he’s doing it now, is what it is.

Or Diggs is playing with you and others, just to get this type of response, and laugh his ass off. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He has a point:

It's for reals that the man seems to need a mirror.

OTOH, I do think the degree of furor over this particular tweet is overblown.  I could say "it's childish; stop attacking him for acknowledging that the NFL is a business and regardless of what he prefers, at this time of the year a player can be swapped or cut."

I agree this most recent tweet isn't exactly inflammatory, but taken in the broader context of his body of work, it just adds to the belief that he's a childish diva.

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

Or Diggs is playing with you and others, just to get this type of response, and laugh his ass off. 

Yeah that’s what he’s doing lol.. it got him traded in Minnesota but he’s decided that’s just a part of doing business in the troll game and if his trolling helps facilitate a trade then so be it.

That seems plausible.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, julian said:

Yeah that’s what he’s doing lol.. it got him traded in Minnesota but he’s decided that’s just a part of doing business in the troll game and if his trolling helps facilitate a trade then so be it.

That seems plausible.

If he wanted out he would have never signed a contract that would have him retire as a Buffalo Bill. 

People are stupid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Draconator said:

If he wanted out he would have never signed a contract that would have him retire as a Buffalo Bill. 

People are stupid.

Yeah peoples positions never change lol, you’re 100% correct, some people are stupid

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, julian said:

Yeah peoples positions never change lol, you’re 100% correct, some people are stupid

You honestly don't see you're playing right into his games. Honestly, I can't.