Daniel Jeremiah top 50 prospects . Who are the Bills drafting?

DJB

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm sure Beane will address it in FA...

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

There are other ways of addressing the DL needs. This draft is actually pretty deep at those positions. You don't have to take the best DT prospect with your first round pick, especially a 3 tech if you feel Ed should be seeing the field more. The top shelf receivers in this historic class are all probably immediate impact players but while the class is deep there is a significant drop off after the first/early second. Right now we are positioned to get one of those guys but we probably won't be back end of the second round. An immediate impact WR would absolutely improve the passing game overall by adding a dimension that is clearly lacking.

Sorry, poor writing on my part. I meant in that last paragraph that I'm sure Beane will address the DL in FA. And if all his previous years are an indication, will have most of the holes filled across the entire roster before the draft hits, which will allow us to pick a WR in the 1st.

I dont really disagree with anything youve said. Just providing some perspective for the board that there is more work to be done than adding a WR.

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Walker and Franklin would be great.  

who is your fav?!

Xavier Legette. 

sure Marvin Harrison would be better but I’m trying to be realistic 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He has our boy Cooper DeJean ranked conveniently right at our pick.

DeJean won't last that long, but if he does... prepare yourselves, Bills fans.

Why is he “our boy” 

5 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Xavier Legette. 

sure Marvin Harrison would be better but I’m trying to be realistic 

Why is he “our boy” 

It was sarcastic because the board will implode when we draft him, and if he is there McBeane would SPRINT to the podium to get him.

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I like the Purdy comparison, but that’s why I’m confused with the McCarthy first round pick hype. I agree with others that he doesn’t seem like a first rounder. He actually reminds me of someone like AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy at Bama back in the day. A game manager on a really good college football team. His draft hype is one of the more confusing things I’ve ever seen. 

AJ McCarron is a decent comp. But McCarthy just seems even less talented than AJ.  Idk I don’t see it.   Didn’t he throw 1 pass in the second half against Penn St? Because he was so awful in the first half? I’m trying to t the game, but I recall being shocked that Harbaugh didn’t have a better QB on the roster 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

One of the reasons you pay big $ for a QB like Allen is the idea that he can elevate the play of those around him.  Of course, that only goes so far - you still need some playmakers.

But, they have only 1 DT (Oliver).  Can they afford to re-sign Daquan Jones?  That would help address that need so they don’t HAVE to find a starter at DT in the draft.  Safety is also a very lean position.

I think there will be more QBs than usual in round 1 and maybe not quite as many WRs, but there will be another run on WR early- mid 2nd.  If the Bills want a decent WR, I think they probably have to take one in round 1 or maybe trade back to top of 2nd.  I think the top dozen WR could be gone by 60.

I certainly hear you. In fact the proof of your position is this years Chiefs who are going to the Super Bowl based on the strength of their D in spite of having in the opinion of many the best QB in the League under center. No one is saying that D, including interior D line, is not a need that needs to be addressed, either by signing Jones, looking at other FAs, and the draft (which though not like last years class, is still pretty deep. A guy like Sweat who I like (and would like even more if he lost 20lbs) has draft grades all over the lot. Could be there in the second for us, possibly after a modest move up. And there are others. 
I am certainly not against a D heavy draft. And I would be absolutely fine with a guy like Dejean or DT with our first pick - BUT only if the top WR prospects are off the board. I think a few of them will likely still be there at 28. I define that group as immediate impact players. These guys are all better than Addison who was high on the Bills radar as a first rounder last year and better than Quentin Johnson, better than Treylon Burks the year before.. Fundamental to my approach is the belief that Allen's passing game has significant untapped potential that could be realized with the appropriate scheme fit based on the right traits.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was sarcastic because the board will implode when we draft him, and if he is there McBeane would SPRINT to the podium to get him.

I wouldn't hate it at all.  If he fell to our pick we'd be getting a starting corner or safety with potential to be a great player.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry, poor writing on my part. I meant in that last paragraph that I'm sure Beane will address the DL in FA. And if all his previous years are an indication, will have most of the holes filled across the entire roster before the draft hits, which will allow us to pick a WR in the 1st.

I dont really disagree with anything youve said. Just providing some perspective for the board that there is more work to be done than adding a WR.

I don't actually disagree with anything you said either. See my response to Old Timer.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I wouldn't hate it at all.  If he fell to our pick we'd be getting a starting corner or safety with potential to be a great player.  

Oh, I'd like it too. It's a win-win for me. Get a great player and endless entertainment on the board :thumbsup:

With the 28th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, The Buffalo Bills select Chop Robinson - Edge - Penn St.

With AJ and Floyd leaving via Free Agency and Von's Knee not quite right the Bills need a pass rusher and Robinson is tops on their board.

• Vomit 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He is intriguing with his great size and what looks to be very good speed.  Still,  where was he and what was he doing before this year?  Of 

Learning how to be a receiver apparently … was a QB at High School I believe  …

Still… the Bills need someone who is going to hit the ground running … so  if that ain’t  him then keep looking …

Edited by Aussie Joe

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

When you consistently pick in the late 20s and you have a chance to get a potential star, i feel like that should be the pick.  

I like the idea of getting more blue chippers. I remember when the Ravens drafted both Kyle Hamilton and Tyler Linderbaum. This team severely lacks game changing playmakers. 

Just now, HomeTeam said:

I like the idea of getting more blue chippers. I remember when the Ravens drafted both Kyle Hamilton and Tyler Linderbaum. This team severely lacks game changing playmakers. 

Had a shot at linderbaum, but he probably sits year 1 because we restructured morse and he doesn't have size for guard.  At the same time, we'd be set at Center for the forseeable future with a pro-bowler.  Definitely a need pick with elam, and if not for benford that would look even worse.  Hopefully a lesson was learned there.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He looks like an even better Duggar who Beane/McD wanted. Can play all over. AND is a very sure-handed kick returner. A perfect backfill for Hyde all around.

Except Hyde was a 5th round pick that we got for $6.1M AAV back in 2017. I don't care how good he ends up, you don't draft a hybrid CB/S in the 1st round. We have such little cap space that positional value in this draft will matter more than ever.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh, I'd like it too. It's a win-win for me. Get a great player and endless entertainment on the board :thumbsup:

I don't expect him to be the pick, probably off the board by 28, but I do think he'd be fantastic in McD's D. The fact that he is versatile and can also project at safety at the next level doesn't detract from what he brings to the table imo. If he turns out to be Ed or Troy I'd live with it lol. But you know my preference if an elite WR prospect is there when we pick.

BTW you were right to call out my conspiracy theory insofar as Jeremiah's reason for mocking Newton to us is concerned.

8 hours ago, Logic said:

The 1st round is gonna go one of two ways for the Bills:

Either:

They'll draft a WR and Bills fans everywhere will rejoice and start booking hotel rooms for Super Bowl weekend.

- or - 

The value at WR won't be right (perhaps because a run on the position has already happened), and they'll draft a safety or defensive lineman, and Bills fans will scream obscenities on social media for five months and possibly burn the city down.

I see no in-between.

If that draft pick is T'Vondre Sweat, I'm good with that. I'm starting to think he won't make it to our 2nd. Him and Ed O together on that D-line would be a nightmare for opposing offenses. He's 6'4", 360lbs, and he moves extremely well for a guy his size. 

Edited by H2o

7 hours ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Xavier Legette is going to be the "can't believe everyone nitpicked all of his flaws instead of just using their eyeballs" WR from this class in a few years

He apparently struggled on Day 1 of the Senior Bowl today. I actually could see Buffalo waiting on WR until the 2nd or 3rd due to the absolutely loaded amount of talent at WR this year. They are going to need some guys in the secondary, DT, DE, and possibly Center as well that could go in round 1. Kam Kitchens is a very real possibility for Buffalo at 28 and he would be a very good pick same for Cooper DeJean. Jackson Powers Johnson would be a very solid 1st round pick and the future Center for Buffalo if picked at 28 as well.

11 hours ago, H2o said:

If that draft pick is T'Vondre Sweat, I'm good with that. I'm starting to think he won't make it to our 2nd. Him and Ed O together on that D-line would be a nightmare for opposing offenses. He's 6'4", 360lbs, and he moves extremely well for a guy his size. 

Gonna still need depth if they take Sweat - he might not be able to play more than 50% of snaps at that size.

17 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Did he wrestle?  He looks like a wrestler, and he plays for Iowa.  Iowa has a good wrestling team. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Gonna still need depth if they take Sweat - he might not be able to play more than 50% of snaps at that size.

DaQuan only played 44% of the snaps. If Sweat plays 50% of the snaps then that's already more than DaQuan. 

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

DaQuan only played 44% of the snaps. If Sweat plays 50% of the snaps then that's already more than DaQuan. 

Was that 44% only counting the games he played in?  He did miss several games due to injury.  Anyway, that is the point - Oliver and a rookie still would require at least 2 backup DTs, so they have to be found somewhere.

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I’d actually be ok with him.  Then I would want to see 2 WR’s in Rd. 2 (trade back into rd. 2). 

20 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

With the 28th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, The Buffalo Bills select Chop Robinson - Edge - Penn St.

With AJ and Floyd leaving via Free Agency and Von's Knee not quite right the Bills need a pass rusher and Robinson is tops on their board.

this would be a horrendous pick in Rd 1. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I’d actually be ok with him.  Then I would want to see 2 WR’s in Rd. 2 (trade back into rd. 2). 

AS we should be. Kid is a baller.

Reminds me of a cross between Luke Keuchley and Micah Hyde.

Not sure about burning multiple picks just to get a 2nd 2nd round WR. With this class we could probably hold tight, keep our picks to fill defensive holes, and still grab more WR talent in the 4th. I'm thinking we double dip as 1st round/5th round, or 2nd round/4th round. Depending who falls where. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Was that 44% only counting the games he played in?  He did miss several games due to injury.  Anyway, that is the point - Oliver and a rookie still would require at least 2 backup DTs, so they have to be found somewhere.

They will be. Jones will probably be back on a modest deal and another veteran a little long in the tooth but still productive can be had for a nice price sooner or later in free agency.i

9 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Looking at the snaps played, he averaged around 52 snaps per game this year.  He got hurt early vs Jax and only played 4.5% that game, which brings his average down.  The finale vs Miami he played 63.5%

Since it’s very unlikely we go WR in both Round 1 & 2,

Leave Round 1 with any of these

Odunze

Nabers

Brian Thomas Jr

Troy Franklin

Tez Walker

maybe the animal DT Sweat falls into Round 2 for us similar to Torrence.

that would be an extremely good start

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

If we lose Floyd and AJE as UFAs I think Chop Robinson is a smart move. As Von might be better next year but we still have to look towards the future and Chop could be a successor to Von.

please no more DE’s in round 1. Ugh.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:30 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

He has our boy Cooper DeJean ranked conveniently right at our pick.

DeJean won't last that long, but if he does... prepare yourselves, Bills fans.

I think the board can handle drafting a DB/Safety in the first. But CB...and not just a CB....a WHITE CB.....sheesh. 

RIP

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the board can handle drafting a DB/Safety in the first. But CB...and not just a CB....a WHITE CB.....sheesh. 

RIP

Haha, he'd be a Safety for us and likely take over Hyde's spot as well as be a monster that Babich/McD can move around and play a ton of different roles. Like Polamalu.

Playing him at CB would be sand-bagging him and taking away so much of his potential to roam the field and make plays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Haha, he'd be a Safety for us and likely take over Hyde's spot as well as be a monster that Babich/McD can move around and play a ton of different roles. Like Polamalu.

Playing him at CB would be sand-bagging him and taking away so much of his potential to roam the field and make plays.

I am admittedly not a huge college guy. I have no meaningful opinion. 

I really appreciate you and all the other draft wonks on this board in the offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.