Browns hire Dorsey as OC

Process

9 minutes ago, Prospector said:

You could actually use both 'then' and 'than' in this sentence, and it still would make sense... funny

I rather talk football than worry about grammar.

I rather talk football than worry about grammar.

Well it was a joke. This makes it an even better joke. At least to me.

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I see your takes as bad as your ability to use your native language 🤣 

My takes are better than yours. See I’m learning. Thank you.

Wait, should there be a comma between see and I’m?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/29/2024 at 3:39 PM, Buffalo619 said:

Factory of sadness. Where careers go to die…

Careful now, although you're not totally wrong. Since they came back in 1999, definitely a struggle for Cleveland. Two horrible ownership groups (Lerner, Haslam).

Screenshot 2024-02-05 13.37.46.png

Screenshot 2024-02-05 13.36.24.png

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He and Stefanski are "working through who calls the plays still" 

Not many freshly hired OCs would walk into a situation with this statement. A bit odd. When you get hired, you'd think they'd have OC role's scope pinned down.

Poor Browns.

Happy for Ken Dorsey but he's got the mission impossible there. 

Watson will get fat and literally sit back and collect paychecks.  He got paid, and that's all he cares about.  He will give the Browns a September/October of games and then it is on to Operation Shutdown_2024.

It wasn't Alex Van Pelt's fault that Watson is an oft-injured mediocre quarterback.  That's the entire plan.

Edited by dpberr

On 1/28/2024 at 6:22 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s fine. He’s still a better offensive coordinator then Joe Brady.

How do you explain the immediate and dramatic turn around to the offense the game after Dorsey was fired?  And the fact that it was not just a one game turn around, but that it continued for the rest of the season?

Looking forward to hearing your take, the facts surrounding the change, and why YOU think the extremely positive changes occurred so quickly and continued AD, to the end of the season..

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I rather talk football than worry about grammar.

"I'd rather talk football..."

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

How do you explain the immediate and dramatic turn around to the offense the game after Dorsey was fired?  And the fact that it was not just a one game turn around, but that it continued for the rest of the season?

Looking forward to hearing your take, the facts surrounding the change, and why YOU think the extremely positive changes occurred so quickly and continued AD, to the end of the season..

Bills have slumped before and turned it around. In fact I predicted it. Obviously I didn’t predict Dorsey would be fired but I thought they’d get out of the funk and that Josh would run again when it’s crunch time.

They obviously called the game differently. Brady called the game like we had zero WR talent and couldn’t run an NFL passing offense. Dorsey called it like we had an elite all pro QB and elite passing weapons.

I prefer Dorsey’s approach. We’ll see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills have slumped before and turned it around. In fact I predicted it. Obviously I didn’t predict Dorsey would be fired but I thought they’d get out of the funk and that Josh would run again when it’s crunch time.

They obviously called the game differently. Brady called the game like we had zero WR talent and couldn’t run an NFL passing offense. Dorsey called it like we had an elite all pro QB and elite passing weapons.

Statistically, Dorsey's offense did everything right. It was a Swiss timepiece. The problem is that when a single gear stopped working, the whole thing shut down. 

I do not hate the system that Dorsey implemented (though it seems like most Daboll's scheme), but I screamed at shotgun draws on 2nd and 3rd and long, whole quarters where the offense just didn't show up. Do we forget the first Jets game? People want to slam Brady for the short passes, WR screens, but Dorsey had Josh throwing the ball behind the line and the Jets were just smacking our players at the line vs Brady who was actually moving the ball vs the Chiefs.

Are you forgetting when the Bills didn't score until the 4th quarter against the Giants? Three points in the first half against the Patriots, one of the worst teams in the league? 

When things didn't go right for Brady (and they went wrong) he would stop trying anything fancy and pound it to see what it got and most of the time it worked. The Bills are a Chris Jones hitting Josh as he throws, and Tyler Bass making a chip shot away from the Bills putting 27 or 31 points on one the best defenses this year. (take the crosser to Diggs Josh) Because he exploited the Chief's run defense, and when they overcompensated to adjust he drew up beautiful blitz beaters.

We NEVER saw that from Dorsey this year. When things went wrong, it was a wrench in a GM Assembly plant.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

How do you explain the immediate and dramatic turn around to the offense the game after Dorsey was fired? 

We won more, but the offense averaged about the same amount of points per game.

27.1 with Brady and 26.2 with Brady.

Definitely a better mix of run/pass though. Though I think we ran a bit too much at times with Brady.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Statistically, Dorsey's offense did everything right. It was a Swiss timepiece. The problem is that when a single gear stopped working, the whole thing shut down. 

I do not hate the system that Dorsey implemented (though it seems like most Daboll's scheme), but I screamed at shotgun draws on 2nd and 3rd and long, whole quarters where the offense just didn't show up. Do we forget the first Jets game? People want to slam Brady for the short passes, WR screens, but Dorsey had Josh throwing the ball behind the line and the Jets were just smacking our players at the line vs Brady who was actually moving the ball vs the Chiefs.

Are you forgetting when the Bills didn't score until the 4th quarter against the Giants? Three points in the first half against the Patriots, one of the worst teams in the league? 

When things didn't go right for Brady (and they went wrong) he would stop trying anything fancy and pound it to see what it got and most of the time it worked. The Bills are a Chris Jones hitting Josh as he throws, and Tyler Bass making a chip shot away from the Bills putting 27 or 31 points on one the best defenses this year. (take the crosser to Diggs Josh) Because he exploited the Chief's run defense, and when they overcompensated to adjust he drew up beautiful blitz beaters.

We NEVER saw that from Dorsey this year. When things went wrong, it was a wrench in a GM Assembly plant.

Just when I thought I had made it through the first 24-hour period (since the KC game) without a flashback to this play.  Thank you for that. 

And I agree btw, which is why I had such an insanely difficult time with it when it happened.  I was yelling & pointing frantically at my TV   "DIGGS!!! HE'S WIDE OPEN!!!!!"  and when Allen released the ball, I was certain it was going to Diggs.   Smh.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ok, but didn't we already see that this year, the outcome of the change?

Anyone watching the games would likely agree it was a much improved offense, and so, overall team, IMMEDIATELY after the change--and to the end of the year.

It would seem that these last months, rather than what occurs in the future, would be the measuring stick.  But I think we can assume that with an off season to actually implement much more of his scheme and processes, it will look even better next year.

Too bad Dorsey will not actually be the OC, not call the plays for the Browns, but just act as an assistant. Looking forward to what happens there, how long he lasts.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Definitely a better mix of run/pass though. Though I think we ran a bit too much at times with Brady.

Okay, but you have to admit the offense was dying on the vine in the month+ leading up to his firing--shut out for most of the first half, often, and then always struggling to come back after being in a hole. The Denver game, his last, was more of the same, though better than some games--at least they scored a touchdown int the first half! 

They were starting almost every game unable to move the ball, get first downs, get into a rhythm--and score points. Clearly unprepared.

Then, that all changed immediately--and stayed that way.  Like Josh said, "it had to be done". He is not the kind of guy who says things like that unless he really believes there were fundamental problems with the way Dorsey ran the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

yes, in way way over his head, in game planning, preparing the team during the week, in game changes, scheming to get players open, designing a running game, calling plays.... other than those minor things, he was great!

The Bills had to be almost perfect, as you imply, for things to work out.  So, though extremely distorted by the defenders of Dorsey, it was often about execution--if every aspect of the Bills' execution was not flawless, they broke down.  Josh Allen kept them afloat the last few years under that ditz, but even that slowly declined to the point where their offense died.

52 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Ok, but didn't we already see that this year, the outcome of the change?

Anyone watching the games would likely agree it was a much improved offense, and so, overall team, IMMEDIATELY after the change--and to the end of the year.

It would seem that these last months, rather than what occurs in the future, would be the measuring stick.  But I think we can assume that with an off season to actually implement much more of his scheme and processes, it will look even better next year.

Too bad Dorsey will not actually be the OC, not call the plays for the Browns, but just act as an assistant. Looking forward to what happens there, how long he lasts.

We ran the ball down teams throats. Literally something fans and local media feared our offense doing. All I heard during Daboll’s and Dorsey’s time as OC was McDermott wants to run the football more than pass it.

Well that is the Joe Brady offense so far. It definitely worked. The passing game was more horizontal and short. If this is what fans want then it’s a surprise to me. It’s the exact opposite of what they’ve been saying.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think we could have found a better oc than Both

Daboll was recently effusive in his praise of Dorsey:

"First, he’s a great person, a great teammate...  He’s very smart. He’s a good leader. He’s very good with scheme and X’s and O’s...  He has a good understanding of just football in general...  He’s well-versed in a variety of systems, and obviously the spread and RPO worlds are two components he has a really good mind for...  Ken is just a really good teacher.  He’s well-prepared. He did a great job with the quarterbacks when I was with him. He leaves no stone unturned... He’s competitive and he was just really detailed with that position, so when he was with me, I leaned on him a lot. He has good ideas. Good with scheme, good with fundamentals, a really good football coach.”

So what went wrong?  The offense looked stale, predictable, and one-dimensional after the three big blowouts.  

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is an interesting quote. I do some truth to this  

I def prefer Brady, he just opened the offense up,  and even their final drive of the year went 16 plays, nearly 7 min and should've been capped off with a TD

🤣🤣

20 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I def prefer Brady, he just opened the offense up,  and even their final drive of the year went 16 plays, nearly 7 min and should've been capped off with a TD

🤣🤣

Brady simplified the offense, not opened it up. Made it more basic. It was affective. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Brady simplified the offense, not opened it up. Made it more basic. It was affective. 

I guess what I meant is it was more unpredictable.  He unleashed Shakir, Joshs legs and the run game, especially Ty Johnson. 

1 hour ago, DrBob806 said:

It's actually a great city/region, great fans. 

Off topic, but i hate going to other teams boards and see them make fun of a city theyve never been to or know very little (if anything) about. Id assume most ppl here have been to CLE, and while different,  it's also very similar. So much so, i cant imagine why someone from here woukd talk trash about there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

🤣🤣

Ah yes and the Bills offense was a well oiled machine midway through the season.

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

True but the easiest defense Brady faced was the Eagles I believe.  Putting up 32 on the Jets, 31 on the Cowboys, 31 on the Steelers, and even 24 on the Chiefs was impressive. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't think he made it more basic. It was very basic, sometimes painfully so, under Dorsey. Brady ran more, and people often associate that with basic, but there was a wider range of runs called by Brady than by Dorsey, and they used motion, formation and leverage much more creatively under Brady than under Dorsey. Dorsey's offense was struggling at the end of his reign because his players couldn't execute and he just kept calling the offense the same and expecting them to execute better. Brady accepted his guys were going to need some help and found some ways to put defenders in a bind to manufacture some space and opportunities. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Off topic, but i hate going to other teams boards and see them make fun of a city theyve never been to or know very little (if anything) about. Id assume most ppl here have been to CLE, and while different,  it's also very similar. So much so, i cant imagine why someone from here woukd talk trash about there.

Yep. 

The only opposing city/stadium I visited (out of 8 road games) that I wasn't crazy about was St Louis, but their fans were awesome. 

I loved the Gateway Arch & the St Louis Cardinals HOF. But we stayed downtown & we weren't thrilled. Probably should have stayed elsewhere but it was convenient.

10 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

It's actually a great city/region, great fans. 

Nope... not here. In this area many are Steelers fans and Browns fans simply don't represent on gamedays, even when they are winning! It's pathetic to be sure and ironically I was talking to a rare gameday representing Browns fan and told them I wanted us to lose to the Broncos so Dorsey would be fired and now he's THEIR OC... sorry, but I don't feel pity for them. Show up on gamedays and have some pride, for Gods sake!!!

On 1/28/2024 at 7:34 PM, Toyo321 said:

I am surprised the Browns did this frankly.....There were other better options still out there.

I wonder if the Browns choices were limited by

1) needing someone willing to work with Stefanski as primary play caller

2) willingness to work with DeShaun Watson

In the TBN article about Dorsey's interview as Browns OC, Dorsey was quoted with an interesting comment:

“When you look back and say, ‘Were we on the right track? Were we doing the things I felt like, at the end of the day, as the leader of the offense and play-caller were giving us the best chance to win?’ – in a lot of cases, there were a lot of ‘Yeses,’ and sometimes, in certain situations, I would maybe do something a little different,” Dorsey said.

As the leader of the offense.

Hmmmm.

Maybe it's just me, but I see Josh Allen as the" leader of the offense" and the OC as the designer and play caller.

25 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I wonder if the Browns choices were limited by

1) needing someone willing to work with Stefanski as primary play caller

2) willingness to work with DeShaun Watson

In the TBN article about Dorsey's interview as Browns OC, Dorsey was quoted with an interesting comment:

As the leader of the offense.

Hmmmm.

Maybe it's just me, but I see Josh Allen as the" leader of the offense" and the OC as the designer and play caller.

1. The Browns first choice for OC was Kellen Moore who took the Philly job. I can’t imagine they expected him to take the job without having play calling duties. Stefanski is expected to retain them, but they have only said that it’s something they’re working through with Dorsey. 

2. I doubt any OC would really care about any past off field stuff with Watson. The top concern for most is the opportunity, which means the talent of their QB and offense. An OC could certainly do a lot worse - especially considering what a turnaround for Watson would mean for an OC’s career. 

3. You don’t want Brady to consider himself a leader of the offense? I sure do. It’s not like there can be only one leader.  

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We ran the ball down teams throats. Literally something fans and local media feared our offense doing. All I heard during Daboll’s and Dorsey’s time as OC was McDermott wants to run the football more than pass it.

Well that is the Joe Brady offense so far. It definitely worked. The passing game was more horizontal and short. If this is what fans want then it’s a surprise to me. It’s the exact opposite of what they’ve been saying.

Not the fans I know! Most of us have been screaming from the rooftops, and some are on here doing so, that they needed a good/great running game as without one Josh was likely never taking this team to a championship.  It was proven this year, after Brady, just as it was two years ago, after a similar rough start to the season. It was the commitment to the running game that sparked the team--and they then just won and won and won.

I would guess that only a tiny percentage of fans believed that they should not run the ball more, like they mean it, and make it a much more vital part of the offense.

I cannot imagine why they would think the other way, though some did, do.  I think they believe 'we have a great quarterback, so let's just throw and throw and throw', not understanding that a good/great running game makes Allen, and the team as a whole, much more effective, dangerous.

This year, we will see an even bigger commitment to the running game, including in the off season.

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Nope... not here. In this area many are Steelers fans and Browns fans simply don't represent on gamedays, even when they are winning! It's pathetic to be sure and ironically I was talking to a rare gameday representing Browns fan and told them I wanted us to lose to the Broncos so Dorsey would be fired and now he's THEIR OC... sorry, but I don't feel pity for them. Show up on gamedays and have some pride, for Gods sake!!!

It's been sold out since '99 fyi, even if it doesn't make sense with all the losing.

Having a team move for no reason will do that to a fan base 

16 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Not the fans I know! Most of us have been screaming from the rooftops, and some are on here doing so, that they needed a good/great running game as without one Josh was likely never taking this team to a championship.  It was proven this year, after Brady, just as it was two years ago, after a similar rough start to the season. It was the commitment to the running game that sparked the team--and they then just won and won and won.

I would guess that only a tiny percentage of fans believed that they should not run the ball more, like they mean it, and make it a much more vital part of the offense.

I cannot imagine why they would think the other way, though some did, do.  I think they believe 'we have a great quarterback, so let's just throw and throw and throw', not understanding that a good/great running game makes Allen, and the team as a whole, much more effective, dangerous.

This year, we will see an even bigger commitment to the running game, including in the off season.

Stop. This board and local media absolutely killed McDermott anytime he said complementary football.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

11 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

🤣🤣

Can't listen, can someone sum up? For the accusations of being a predator, or the way that he's wet the bed/ditched teammates over the past 18 months?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.