2024 WR Draft Class

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

He wasn't even the alpha at LSU, while he offers a lot in terms of height and speed he seems limited to certain route that take advantage of his speeds. He kind of reminds me of Alvin Harper in Dallas who when moved on to Tampa to be a #1 he didn't live up to the billing. While I love his skill set I do have reservations. Ultimately I'd stand pat at 28 and see what fell to me, as am okay if we take Legette at 28, or Chop or Darius Robinson or Newton and then look at a WR in Round 2. As we have a few holes to fill and even without Diggs I don't think WR is the worth reaching for if other quality prospects fall. 

Well Thomas was hardly going to be the Tigers #1 with Nabers there. I think that's part of the reason his route tree for now is pretty much limited to verticals. I think that he can develop into a receiving threat at all levels if that's what his eventual team wants. Like A. Mitchell, who I like a lot, there is the scent of boom or bust in the air around both of them. Regardless both are outstanding prospects, the kind that get picked in the first round. Neither is in the same class as the top three. That's especially obvious when they are compared with Odunze, who is the best technician and, like the other two guys, almost certain to be a great pro. 
Worthy is a better receiver than he often gets credit for but at 165 lbs no way. Can he get up to 180? Idk. Major risk, even if he can. But if he's DeSean Jackson...but those guys are incredibly rare. It's still a big man's game. 
While many are in favour, and with reason, I too would not favour wrecking our draft(s) to move up the way we would have to if we targeted any one of the top three (upon reflection). Imo you do that sort of thing for a QB. One outcome I could live with would be a modest move up for Thomas or Mitchell (but not affecting # 60). Otherwise forget it. Stand pat or move back.
I too could see the Bills opting for an edge or D-lineman with the first pick. Would be nice if they could still nab that player after moving down from 28 (there may be more than 1 target). If they get a third, they could maybe then use it to move up from 60 for one of the best remaining receivers, Javon Baker maybe or one of Leggett, Coleman or McConkey if you think you can move up enuf. They can maybe also draft a developmental X receiver type late in the draft. There are some with promising traits/athleticism. 
Or they can perhaps trade for Aiyuk and pay him 80 million over the next three years. 
No easy path here that I can see.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

No way I’m trading pick 28, pick 60 and next years 1st to move up to pick 9 for a WR.  Chiefs traded less to us to move up for a QB.  

I actually think that's a pretty good deal.  KC got a pretty good deal to trade up for Mahomes, but they still gave up their 3rd that year along with 2 1sts.

The Julio Jones trade from 27 to 6 consisted of 2 1sts, 2nd round draft picks in consecutive years, and 4th round draft picks in consecutive years.

If Buffalo traded up for Odunze or Nabers in the top 10 and only gave up their 2nd this year and 1st next year after swapping 1sts, I'd be pretty ecstatic, honestly.  Then we can just root for Minny to tank next year to make that 2nd round pick we acquired from the Texans more valuable and maybe use one of our comp picks combined with that pick to trade back into the late first, where we (hopefully) would be picking anyway.

And we still have 7 picks in rounds 4-7 this year for Beane to play around with and use as ammunition to trade back up into the 3rd or earlier than his picks to get guys he wants.

I just don't think that would be enough trade capital to trade up.

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Arizona wants 3 first round picks for #4 overall. 🤣

Can you blame them?

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Understand it's probably much more than that chart swaying you, but Legette is significantly lower than Thomas in the career YPRR part of that chart and just on par in terms of the target rate. Mitchell is slightly above them in target rate but below them in YPRR.

He's obviously nowhere near as jacked as DK was, but skillset/usage wise, Thomas is very similar to DK right now IMO.

Jordan Reid has Keon as his #5 WR in this draft. He's a sure nuff alpha dog!! 

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like comps. Do you have a comp for Thomas in your mind? What about Leggette? 

Walterfootball compares Thomas to MVS and Leggette to Breshad Perriman. I would be pretty disappointed in both of those outcomes. 

ESPN compared Thomas to Tee Higgins and Leggette to AJ Brown.  

I am with @DCOrange in seeing DK in Thomas. DK remains a 1 trick pony. 

I think Legette is harder to comp. I do see the AJ Brown one. I see a bit of Chris Godwin too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Saw this chart on The Ringer today (part of a fun but silly article which nevertheless had some nice info hidden amongst the jokes).

Not a great look for Brian Thomas Jr and Adonai Mitchell, with the takeaway being that while they have everything you want from a physical standpoint and have both shown the POTENTIAL to be good, their college production (not just raw numbers, but yards per route run relative to their target rate) is lacking.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/4/9/24124742/best-wide-receivers-2024-nfl-draft-class-marvin-harrison-jr-malik-nabers-rome-odunze

image.thumb.png.c4f3de59afdb7d4ee05c91ec4506c5de.png

It would be a lot more useful and informative if they identified the other dots. Especially those 2 high in the northeast.....

Just listened to the Establish the Run Podcast on YouTube. Adam Schefter was the guest.

Adam Levitan asked him to name just one player in the draft that he thinks will go higher than projected.

Schefter said that the thinks that WR, AD Mitchell will be gone before pick 25.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

“It’s not about timed speed, it’s about game speed.” Student of the game. Perfect fit for Bills, talent and culture wise

I don't like him, especially if he has to play big slot to be effective in the NFL. That's the argument I have seen made. If he could be an effective boundary receiver, that is a different story, but I'm not convinced that is the case. I sure as hell wouldn't take him at #28.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

54 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't like him, especially if he has to play big slot to be effective in the NFL. That's the argument I have seen made. If he could be an effective boundary receiver, that is a different story, but I'm not convinced that is the case. I sure as hell wouldn't take him at #28.

There’s no way they’re taking Coleman. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

“It’s not about timed speed, it’s about game speed.” Student of the game. Perfect fit for Bills, talent and culture wise

No.  His bust chance is way too high for us. I’d only consider him at pick 60.

He doesn’t have the explosiveness we need

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He's so smooth, the fella is WR Fred Astaire. One of my favorites in this draft.

I like him too. He can do a lot of what Diggs did. 

There are a lot of guys in this draft that I can talk myself into. Keon Coleman is the only guy that I’m having a hard time with. His separation is just abysmal. With the exception of Nico Collins, the guys with the worst separation over the last decade have sucked as pros. I don’t think that the Bills have the luxury of trying to “beat the odds” with the WRs early. 

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like him too. He can do a lot of what Diggs did. 

There are a lot of guys in this draft that I can talk myself into. Keon Coleman is the only guy that I’m having a hard time with. His separation is just abysmal. With the exception of Nico Collins, the guys with the worst separation over the last decade have sucked as pros. I don’t think that the Bills have the luxury of trying to “beat the odds” with the WRs early. 

I'm with you 100%

If there's one bugaboo that I can't overlook in a wide receiver draft prospect, it's separation.

The major problem with the Bills' passing offense was that guys weren't getting open. They weren't gaining separation. Adding Keon Coleman does not seem like it would fix what ails us. 

Give me someone a bit smaller and slighter, but who can gain cleaner and more consistent separation, please and thank you.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 4/7/2024 at 11:13 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

I’ve been the conductor of the JT28, DK Metcalf and Breece Hall trains. I’m riding the Keon Coleman train this draft

That’s great news for all of us!  No Keon Coleman for us

Starting to hop on the Brian Thomas Jr train. Feel like at the end of the day, you go to the tape. He seems to just flash athleticism and the ability winn 1v1. 

If we can’t get a top 3 (which I don’t think they should sell out for) I’m hoping we can get BTJ in the early to mid-20s. 

If he’s gone by then, I’m moving back if possible. I don’t see a ton of difference between that next tier of guys and no one im pounding the table for at 28. 

10 hours ago, DCOrange said:

He's obviously nowhere near as jacked as DK was, but skillset/usage wise, Thomas is very similar to DK right now IMO.

Interesting you say that because Legette is the Metcalf comp for me in this draft. Size and speed and ability to go up and get the ball. Not a fluid route runner, but so much a physical stud that it doesn't matter.

BTJ is a tough comp. Best I can come up with is a bigger Will Fuller.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I'm good with trading up in the 2nd for McConkey, after taking another WR before him. I personally have no interest in taking a WR in the 1st round whose signature trait is route running. You can find great route runners throughout the draft. I want a physical stud, the type that you never find outside the top 50. We had the best route runner in the NFL for 3.5 seasons. It got us elite regular season production, followed by playoff matchups where DBs were allowed to bully him and erase his route running from the game. In this next cycle of Allen's career I want his #1 WR to be the bully. Let the route runner be the complement, not the engine.

• Like (+1) 1

When are we going to realize the Bills have NOTHING at WR1 or WR2? Shakir is a nice WR3 right now, with potential to be a nicer WE3. Samuel isn’t to be relied upon when evaluating the roster for a draft.

The Bills NEED one of the top three guys more than the risk of the sixth or worse ranked WR in this draft. God only knows how long this staff will take to bring along a late first round WR.. 

Higgins and Aiyuk are not top ten WR1s. So where is our Hill, Chase, Jefferson coming from..? Probably the top half of a round 1. May as well go get a sure thing NOW. 

I’m seeing Odunze #1, Nabers #2, and MHJ #3. I’d call that value if Nabers or Odunze are there after MHJ is taken. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Stroud gets our WR,  we get his😎

seems fair

I’ve watched a few interviews with MHJ and he seems humble and hard working.  He also describes himself as more of a homebody and focused on football.

would be a nice change…

Plus with his dad helping guide him, really good chance he’s All-Pro level in a hurry IMO

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

Alright so this report of Arizona wanting 3 1st rounders to move out…I’d do 28, next year’s 1 and next year’s 2…I feel like that get’s you pretty close. It’s 2 firsts and a second…I still think Arizona stays, but I would do it. 

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Alright so this report of Arizona wanting 3 1st rounders to move out…I’d do 28, next year’s 1 and next year’s 2…I feel like that get’s you pretty close. It’s 2 firsts and a second…I still think Arizona stays, but I would do it. 

I think they prefer 3 ones from the Vikings 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Bills are moving up, the question is how far.

AD Mitchell vs Brian Thomas. Mitchell is your alpha. End of comparison. If the Bills trade up to the teens or early 20’s, it’s for Mitchell.

His big catches in the playoffs probably gives Beane a woody. Mitchell and Roman Wilson are big moment players and will be Bills. This is the way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills are moving up, the question is how far.

AD Mitchell vs Brian Thomas. Mitchell is your alpha. End of comparison. If the Bills trade up to the teens or early 20’s, it’s for Mitchell.

His big catches in the playoffs probably gives Beane a woody. Mitchell and Roman Wilson are big moment players and will be Bills. This is the way.

If we draft two receivers and there are Mitchell and Wilson I'll be very meh.....

15 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they prefer 3 ones from the Vikings 

I think they end up doing something like the two #1s from this year and a future 4th or something. But then the Cardinals come back up into the top 9 for a receiver. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’ll love them on the field making plays for Josh.

If they do, of course I will. But there are a lot of prospects I'd rather have from this class. 

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Interesting you say that because Legette is the Metcalf comp for me in this draft. Size and speed and ability to go up and get the ball. Not a fluid route runner, but so much a physical stud that it doesn't matter.

Tee Higgins? 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If we draft two receivers and there are Mitchell and Wilson I'll be very meh.....

Why do people keep telling me Roman Wilson is good? What am I missing?

Also, AD Mitchell gives me George Pickens vibes. The ability is there when he wants it to be. He doesn’t feel like the type of person that the Bills want as the alpha in the WR room.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Why do people keep telling me Roman Wilson is good? What am I missing?

Also, AD Mitchell gives me George Pickens vibes. The ability is there when he wants it to be. He doesn’t feel like the type of person that the Bills want as the alpha in the WR room.

In AD you’re drafting the potential. He’s far from a finished product. Our WR coach has a history of coaching WRs like this.

Then either at 60 or trading into the 3rd you get a gritty leader type WR with speed, hands, blocking, toughness, and competitiveness. It’s a good combination, he’ll push AD Mitchell to be great. Roman fits Buffalo. I think the Bills will have him high on their board.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I’ve said it a few times in this thread, but the main thing that made DK such a great prospect IMO was his ability to beat press coverage and then accelerate immediately. Legette doesn’t have either of those qualities IMO whereas it’s Thomas’ calling card. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I’ve said it a few times in this thread, but the main thing that made DK such a great prospect IMO was his ability to beat press coverage and then accelerate immediately. Legette doesn’t have either of those qualities IMO whereas it’s Thomas’ calling card. 

Fans fall in love with highlight videos every year.

Thomas has a rare ability to separate deep. Some players have it, many don’t. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

In AD you’re drafting the potential. He’s far from a finished product. Our WR coach has a history of coaching WRs like this.

Then either at 60 or trading into the 3rd you get a gritty leader type WR with speed, hands, blocking, toughness, and competitiveness. It’s a good combination, he’ll push AD Mitchell to be great. Roman fits Buffalo. I think the Bills will have him high on their board.

With the exception of Coleman those are my least favorite “options” at 28 and 60. The Bills need to account for almost 200 targets between the two guys that they add. A poor route runner and a guy that takes plays off don’t scream volume.

Wilson has speed but is a poor route runner. Some people like him but I don’t think that he’s quick enough for a guy that size. He’s competitive and has some speed but a lot of guys do in this class. He hasn’t really produced at a high level either. He’d been fine. I’d be okay with him in the 4th but would much rather have someone like Pearsall at the same pick. 

Mitchell is inconsistent. He has the ability of an elite number 1. He has the production of a talented guy that takes plays off. He’s good when he wants to be. If you’re going to be the alpha in the WR room you better set the tone. Diggs and Gabe were two of the hardest workers on the team. Mitchell isn’t that guy (although Wilson is). 

I will support wherever the board ends up and hope that I’m wrong if it is Coleman, Wilson, and/or Mitchell. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

With the exception of Coleman those are my least favorite “options” at 28 and 60. The Bills need to account for almost 200 targets between the two guys that they add. A poor route runner and a guy that takes plays off don’t scream volume.

Wilson has speed but is a poor route runner. Some people like him but I don’t think that he’s quick enough for a guy that size. He’s competitive and has some speed but a lot of guys do in this class. He hasn’t really produced at a high level either. He’s been fine. I’d be okay with him in the 4th but would much rather have someone like Pearsall at the same pick. 

Mitchell is inconsistent. He has the ability of an elite number 1. He has the production of a talented guy that takes plays off. He’s good when he wants to be. If you’re going to be the alpha in the WR room you better set the tone. Diggs and Gabe were two of the hardest workers on the team. Mitchell isn’t that guy (although Wilson is). 

I will support wherever the board ends up and hope that I’m wrong if it is Coleman, Wilson, and/or Mitchell. 

@Buffalo_Stampede - I don't have a lot to add to what Kirby says above. Wilson can't run routes and AD's tape just doesn't match his testing. Inconsistent effort but also just not sure I see any special in him. On film I have his ceiling as a solid #2 WR. A slightly better version of Gabe. The testing might suggest there is more potential there but I dunno.... he'd leave me a tad cold.