2024 WR Draft Class

17 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Let’s go on the record now boys … week before FA…

1 pick only as to which WR they are taking at 28…

Let’s assume Thomas is out of reach as Top 20 and Beane won’t pay the freight to move up…

So who you got folks?

Right now, I think it's 1 of 3 guys. A small-medium trade up for Brian Thomas Jr. or Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Legette at 28. I'd be happy with any of them.

If I'm having to pick only 1, right now my gut says Legette at 28.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Who I think they'd take? Adonai Mitchell. 

I'd still take Legette over him personally. 

You think Mitchell falls to 28?  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

You think Mitchell falls to 28?  

Yes. I don't think there is going to be the rush on receivers others seem to. I just don't see a lot of receiver needs in that bunch from 10 to 27 and I see a TON of OL and CB need. It is a really good OL class as well. I think 7 OTs could go in round one plus a couple of interior guys (Barton and Powers-Johnson). 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. I don't think there is going to be the rush on receivers others seem to. I just don't see a lot of receiver needs in that bunch from 10 to 27 and I see a TON of OL and CB need. It is a really good OL class as well. I think 7 OTs could go in round one plus a couple of interior guys (Barton and Powers-Johnson). 

Agreed that OT is our best hope to push the WR talent down, along with WR depth.  Best case scenario would be to land Mitchell or Legette at 28.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Let’s go on the record now boys … week before FA which could  lead to a “fluid “ outcome if they sign or trade for someone 

1 pick only as to which WR they are taking at 28…( or a minor trade up like last year) 

Let’s assume Thomas is out of reach as Top 20 and Beane won’t pay the freight to move up…

So who you got folks?

My real guess would be that we trade up for Thomas or pass on WR at 28. If we have to go WR and it has to be at 28, my guess right now, as much as I would not like it, would be Xavier Legette. I think at 28 (again limiting just to WRs), it's likely a decision between Legette, Coleman, and McConkey and my guess would be that's the order they have them in.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

My real guess would be that we trade up for Thomas or pass on WR at 28. If we have to go WR and it has to be at 28, my guess right now, as much as I would not like it, would be Xavier Legette. 

I like the story of Legette more than I like what I see on the field. He’s not in my top 8 WRs right now and I wouldn’t take him at 28. Round 2 sure 

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I like the story of Legette more than I like what I see on the field. He’s not in my top 8 WRs right now and I wouldn’t take him at 28. Round 2 sure 

He’s crappy so use a second rounder on him?  We tried that with James Hardy.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Right now, I think it's 1 of 3 guys. A small-medium trade up for Brian Thomas Jr. or Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Legette at 28. I'd be happy with any of them.

If I'm having to pick only 1, right now my gut says Legette at 28.

I would add Keon Coleman to that mix as well at 28. He has the size and skill set to replicate the things that Davis did well -- with better hands to go along with it.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He is not crappy.

I wasn’t declaring that.  I was responding to @NeverOutNick who seems to have that opinion.  Whether he’s right or wrong on the player analysis I don’t understand the thought process. “I don’t like him but if he is there in the second…….”

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'd guess if he's saying he's not in his top 8 WRs, he's probably shortly after that, which in this class likely means he likes him a decent amount. Just not at 28.

• Agree 1

Gunner, what are your thoughts on Ladd McConkey?

38 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don’t think he’s crappy at all. I think he’s a hard worker and a good #2 WR but he’s not worth a first round pick imo

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Gunner, what are your thoughts on Ladd McConkey?

I think he is a good player. I am not sure he fits what the Bills need is. He is somewhere between Shakir and Diggs in terms of skillset. I think his NFL future is primarily in the slot. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

I think he is a good player. I am not sure he fits what the Bills need is. He is somewhere between Shakir and Diggs in terms of skillset. I think his NFL future is primarily in the slot. 

Ladd is the next Justin Jefferson, confirmed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

My real guess would be that we trade up for Thomas or pass on WR at 28. If we have to go WR and it has to be at 28, my guess right now, as much as I would not like it, would be Xavier Legette. I think at 28 (again limiting just to WRs), it's likely a decision between Legette, Coleman, and McConkey and my guess would be that's the order they have them in.

These are my feelings exactly. I feel like Legette is our guy, reminds me a lot of Eric Moulds.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Ladd is the next Justin Jefferson, confirmed.

IMO , if it's down to Leggette and Coleman, I'd take Legette. However, there are enough teams with two 2nd rd. picks, I'd gladly give up next years 1st to get a another 2nd this year. That way we could go with say...Legette, Sweat and Ladd or Wilson at 60.

Or what if...say...Byron Murphy somehow drops to 28. We could trade SF next year's 1st for Aiyuk and still get another good one at 60....IDK.

I've been reading BR's scouting reports on all positions and compared to most media, the draft slot projections are way different. It seems their grades are much lower than the media and maybe given recent history more accurate.

Of course nothing matters until FA begins.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nosejob said:

IMO , if it's down to Leggette and Coleman, I'd take Legette. However, there are enough teams with two 2nd rd. picks, I'd gladly give up next years 1st to get a another 2nd this year. That way we could go with say...Legette, Sweat and Ladd or Wilson at 60.

Or what if...say...Byron Murphy somehow drops to 28. We could trade SF next year's 1st for Aiyuk and still get another good one at 60....IDK.

I've been reading BR's scouting reports on all positions and compared to most media, the draft slot projections are way different. It seems their grades are much lower than the media and maybe given recent history more accurate.

I’m liking Roman Wilson in the 2nd round.  Dude is explosive and probably would’ve had much bigger numbers in a wide open offense like most of the other top WR’s played in.  

On 1/27/2024 at 12:38 PM, Donuts and Doritos said:

Topic for analysis of 2024 draft class at WR & discuss who would be available & a fit for the Bills.

Adoni mitchell ( spelled wrong) is gonna be great. after playing in alabama, georgia, texas, he is ready. i don't know anything about route running, but he is a pass catcher. he can high point the ball with the best of them! i live in austin so i see every game.  and i can't believe Worthy ran the fastest 40! they will be missed.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I would not trade next year’s 1.  This could be a step-back season with all of the losses on D.  I would not want to be sitting here a year from now having traded a mid 1st round pick for an extra 2nd this year.

• Agree 1

There is nothing that can be done that will stop the McConkey hype on this board between now and the time he flames out.  It will reach a crescendo about three days before the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Ricky Pearsall is up to 39 on DJ's big board.

He's my 5th rated WR.  I think he fits perfectly to what the Bills need and what WR work best with Allen.  Tell me this isnt what Beane and Mcdermott have been saying:

DJ Big Board

Pearsall is a loose, smooth wideout with outstanding hands and toughness. He is quick in his release and he understands how to change gears as a route runner. He is fluid getting into and out of breaks. He has outstanding hands. He attacks the ball at the highest point and makes some circus catches (SEE: one-handed gem vs. Charlotte). After the catch, he is quick to transition up the field and has the elusiveness to make defenders miss in space. He has a lean frame, but he plays with excellent toughness and competitiveness. Pearsall followed up an excellent 2023 season with a solid week at the Senior Bowl and should have a starting role from Day 1 for his drafting team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

He's my 5th rated WR.  I think he fits perfectly to what the Bills need and what WR work best with Allen.  Tell me this isnt what Beane and Mcdermott have been saying:

DJ Big Board

Pearsall is a loose, smooth wideout with outstanding hands and toughness. He is quick in his release and he understands how to change gears as a route runner. He is fluid getting into and out of breaks. He has outstanding hands. He attacks the ball at the highest point and makes some circus catches (SEE: one-handed gem vs. Charlotte). After the catch, he is quick to transition up the field and has the elusiveness to make defenders miss in space. He has a lean frame, but he plays with excellent toughness and competitiveness. Pearsall followed up an excellent 2023 season with a solid week at the Senior Bowl and should have a starting role from Day 1 for his drafting team.

I would definitely consider him in Round 2.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Maybe the wrong thread, but on the size discussion:

Are people out on Darnell Mooney (5’11”, 175 lbs) or Hollywood Brown (5’9”, 180 lbs) as possible FA additions?

Concerns they cannot handle hits from NFL safeties?

I'd take either! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I would definitely consider him in Round 2.  

He aint lasting to 60.  My dream is to move back and pick up more draft capital.  Then use that capital to move up again into 2nd.  I would rather have two picks in 35-45 range than 28 and 60.  I don't care about the 5th year option.  If the player is good enough, you signing him anyways.  If he isn't your not picking it up.  And if he is just mediocre, the 5th year option is an overpay.

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

He aint lasting to 60.  My dream is to move back and pick up more draft capital.  Then use that capital to move up again into 2nd.  I would rather have two picks in 35-45 range than 28 and 60.  I don't care about the 5th year option.  If the player is good enough, you signing him anyways.  If he isn't your not picking it up.  And if he is just mediocre, the 5th year option is an overpay.

This is an interesting strategy.  I like it, but I think it really depends who ends up being available at 28.

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

DJ Big Board

New WR spots (change from last version in parentheses, + means they moved up the board, - means they moved down):

2. Marvin Harrison Jr. (0)

3. Rome Odunze (0)

4. Malik Nabers (0)

17. Brian Thomas Jr. (-1)

25. Adonai Mitchell (+8)

34. Ladd McConkey (+8)

39. Ricky Pearsall (+9)

41. Xavier Worthy (0)

43. Troy Franklin (-6)

45. Keon Coleman (-9)

47. Malachi Corley (-3)

49. Roman Wilson (+1)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Maybe the wrong thread, but on the size discussion:

Are people out on Darnell Mooney (5’11”, 175 lbs) or Hollywood Brown (5’9”, 180 lbs) as possible FA additions?

Concerns they cannot handle hits from NFL safeties?

Sure - if we can fast forward to 4 years into the future and know for a fact that whichever undersized prospect you're referring to will hold up, be able to be a True Outside WR, and perform at a level of Mooney or higher than some of the guys who check more boxes - by all means.

And if we could select some of these guys in Round 5 where Darrell Mooney was Drafted instead of 28, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that either.

But for every Mooney and Brown, which Brown isn't really a great comparison to make because he HAS been injury prone, there's Drafted players with subpar measurements that couldn't hold up and/or couldn't make the transition as hoped.

If this were a Draft that didn't have SO many options, maybe we'd be a little less picky. But when it comes to Round 1 and what we're looking for in this Draft - passing on guys who are less of a concern in certain areas for ones that are is not a concession we have to make.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

With today’s news about receiving a comp pick at the end of round 4 instead of the expected round 3, we can expect no trade up in the first.  They can’t afford to trade up in first then address the gaping holes on defense at 60 and the sit until end of 4th to get another defender.  Forget “double dipping” at WR early, as well.

Edited by OldTimer1960

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

With today’s news about receiving a comp pick at the end of round 4 instead of the expected round 3, we can expect no trade up in the first.  They can’t afford to trade up in first then address the gaping holes on defense at 60 and the sit until end of 4th to get another defender.  Forget “double dipping” at WR early, as well.

Beane might acquire a 3rd IMO  a 4, 5, 6 type of deal or  a player

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If they do (unless it’s a trade of a player), I still would not trade up.  They are going to need their 2nd and 3rd to play a fair bit on defense this year.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If they do (unless it’s a trade of a player), I still would not trade up.  They are going to need their 2nd and 3rd to play a fair bit on defense this year.

Even though he shouldn’t … we see Beane has no patience to sweat out those last couple of picks to get “his guy” …. So he will probably trade the comp pick fourth to move up two spots if his guy is still there …

I think not having a third round pick puts an end to the Thomas Jr dream … even in the unlikely event he fell to the early 20s he is still out of reach now …

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Even though he shouldn’t … we see Beane has no patience to sweat out those last couple of picks to get “his guy” …. So he will probably trade the comp pick fourth to move up two spots if his guy is still there …

I think not having a third round pick puts an end to the Thomas Jr dream … even in the unlikely event he fell to the early 20s he is still out of reach now …

You could be right, but I hope not.

I understand that free agency has yet to play out and they might find a few stop-gap vets to fill defensive holes, but they likely will need to count on some rookies on that side of the ball and I’d rather it not be late 4th and 5th round guys having to play.  This defense could be pretty bad next year.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don't think the idea of Trading up in the 1st is completely out. Though it certainly makes things harder. Our first 4th, our first 5th, and our first 6th (all extra picks) can get us up 5 slots to Houston at 23. There is a chance he'll be there, especially if the Worthy hype train makes Thomas fall a bit. 

One thing that I think it does do is further dispells the idea of going WR at both 28 and 60. I never thought that was likely to begin with. Now I doubt it even more. I don't see a way we're addressing only WR before pick 129 at the bottom of the 4th.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sure, he could. But that probably wouldn't come until Draft Day. You don't often hear of Picks for Picks trades before the Draft, outside of the Top 5. Even if he talks about it before hand with someone, there's no guarantee that the deal gets done when the time comes. So he can't 100% plan on it.

You hear all the time "we had a deal in place, but then (so and so) was on the board and they just couldn't pass on him". 

And the problem is, yes, we could get a 3rd Back with some movement. But that involves trading picks that we weren't expecting to trade to do that. Making other trades harder.

A lot to ask to trade up in Round 1 for a WR and trade up into Round 3, when our extra ammo doesn't start until the end of Round 4.

You can say "oh, well, just trade some picks next year". But Beane doesn't have a track record showing he's comfortable doing that. Next year's picks are always gold to him. He tends to collect those and doesn't trade them away.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think the idea of Trading up in the 1st is completely out. Though it certainly makes things harder. 1 of our 4ths, one of our 5ths, and one of our 6ths (all extra picks) can get us up 5 slots to Houston at 23. There is a chance he'll be there, especially if the Worthy hype train makes Thomas fall a bit. 

One thing that I think it does do is further dispells the idea of going WR at both 28 and 60. I never thought that was likely to begin with. Now I doubt it even more. I don't see a way we're addressing only WR before pick 129 at the bottom of the 4th.

Yes, it was a speculative dream for those of us who wanted 2 early WR picks, but it's effectively gone. I think Legette is the most rational target, at this point. I do think if Thomas falls far enough, Beane would make a move.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, it was a speculative dream for those of us who wanted 2 early WR picks, but it's effectively gone. I think Legette is the most rational target, at this point. I do think if Thomas falls far enough, Beane would make a move.

Thomas Jr or Legette would be my choice as well.  Either of the Longhorns would be fun too. All 4 players have pretty high ceilings IMO

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Thomas Jr or Legette would be my choice as well.  Either of the Longhorns would be fun too. All 4 players have pretty high ceilings IMO

Those are pretty much the 4 I've zeroed in on for us, as far players we interviewed and how I see the board talking. I think Worthy is probably unlikely, both in terms of where I think he's going to go and his fit. But I do hope he pushes someone down to us. If Thomas Jr. and Mitchell or Legette go before him - maybe.

Thomas Jr. will require a trade up. If he falls within striking range, I'd expect Beane to pull the trigger. Otherwise, I think it's Legette or Mitchell at 28 - with maybe a very small move up if WR6 comes off the board by Pick 25.

My take on what Beane should now do is absolutely 100% stand pat at #28. Do not trade up. Take the best wide receiver available unless someone unexpected has fallen to there. 

Then at the end of the 2nd there is potentially room to move back. I have found in a lot of the sims I have done that is the spot where I end up feeling like there is much of a muchness talent wise. If they were to say slide back 10 spots with the Giants (I understand we have some connections there) in exchange for the Giants 4th rounder (might have to throw in one of our 6ths just to even the value out) then we could package that extra 4th with one our 5ths to get back into the bottom end of round 3. So we'd end up with:

Two 3rds (one early, one late)

Two 4ths

Two 5ths

Two 6ths 

One 7th

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My take on what Beane should now do is absolutely 100% stand pat at #28. Do not trade up. Take the best wide receiver available unless someone unexpected has fallen to there. 

Then at the end of the 2nd there is potentially room to move back. I have found in a lot of the sims I have done that is the spot where I end up feeling like there is much of a muchness talent wise. If they were to say slide back 10 spots with the Giants (I understand we have some connections there) in exchange for the Giants 4th rounder (might have to throw in one of our 6ths just to even the value out) then we could package that extra 4th with one our 5ths to get back into the bottom end of round 3. So we'd end up with:

Two 3rds (one early, one late)

Two 4ths

Two 5ths

Two 6ths 

One 7th

I tend to agree at this point that it's best to just sit at 28 and take the best available WR for us. That makes maneuvering around the board a much better situation for us in the following Rounds.

The only way I see a Trade Up in Round 1 is if Thomas were to fall within 5 or so picks or there's a run of 6 WR's before 26.