2024 WR Draft Class

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Everyone seems to be so excited to draft a WR or two and yet from what I've seen over the years very rarely does a rookie WR make a huge impact. Yes, there have been some recently Justin Jefferson, Puka Nacua. 

I'd rather see the Bills obtain a top veteran WR like Mike Evans.  Josh Needs deep-speed help now. 

I'd love Chris Jones too. Or a Trade for Davante Adams. But much like Mike Evans, It's not going to happen.

On top of of WR2, we need Starters at DE, DT (of which Ed Oliver is the ONLY DT we have under contract), and Safety (most likely both as it seems reading between the lines of McD's pressers Poyer will prob be cut). Plus a myriad of bodies to fill out the roster with 20+ FA's.

We're 37.5m over the cap. Mike Evans estimated contract is a 4 year $100m deal. Even if we push a lot of that contract off, Year 1 is going to cost way too much money for the position we're in.

We're going to re-sign some guys and we're going to sign some guys. But we can't afford to pay handsomely for any top FA this season. It's going to be middle tier to bargain guys across the board. Much like last season.

That's why everyone's looking at Round 1. WR is one of the most expensive positions in Football. There's a much better chance of getting a real difference maker in Round 1 than from the type of FA that we can afford.

We'll still sign someone to go along with them. But it'll be someone more like Noah Brown or Josh Reynolds than Mike Evans.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I've mentioned a few times throughout this thread already...I feel like @GunnerBill and I generally see prospects the same way but Legette is one that we've really diverged on. I know he likes Legette a lot. I don't hate him or anything but I see him as more of a 3rd rounder than a 1st personally. I tend to shy away from older prospects and prospects that took a long time to figure it out in college and Legette checks both of those boxes. Among the 19 WR prospects I've scouted so far this year (which is basically all of the top guys in the class with a couple exceptions), Legette is the 2nd oldest as he's already 23 years old. If you expand it out to all of the guys that PFF considers to be draftable, his age doesn't look as bad because a lot of the late round guys this year are very old, but point being, he's older than I like in an early round pick. On top of that, he almost literally did not do anything at the college level until his 5th season; this is a big no no for me and historically speaking, it's very rare to find a WR with a breakout age as high as Legette's that went on to have any success in the NFL. To me, Legette is a bit of a project in that he's big, strong, and fast but is pretty unpolished right now as a player and I'm just not super interested in that mold of prospect when they're relatively very old. It feels like a very low percentage play and I'd just rather let another team take that chance personally.

Having said all that...

And to add to what @DCOrange says above - I completely agree with him that the age and single year of college production are legit "flags" on Legette's profile. I agree that the track record of guys with that profile coming into the NFL is not stellar.

But I think his 2023 film is very good and it is very good despite him being a one man offense. There was nobody else among the passing game weapons at South Carolina who will even play on Sundays. Teams were focussed on trying to take Legette away, especially by mid-season - the Florida game stood out to me.... it was almost as if the defenses were only playing Legette and he still had a big day. That is where to me he is just more impressive than some of other guys in the 2nd/3rd tier of this class - he had to stand up week after week and make the plays and be the alpha. Sure the two Texas kids have their merits but they also helped one another. Brian Thomas's production was definitely helped by Malik Nabers playing opposite him, Polk was opposite Odunze and even Franklin had Tez Johnson who has a chance to be a day 2 type pick next year to pick up some slack.  

I am not surprised Todd McShay is describing him as a polarizing prospect. I think he will be exactly that. I think he will likely go in the first half of round 2, that is my prediction. There will be some teams that wouldn't touch him until round 3, I suspect that is right, but it only takes 1 to like him enough to go early and I think there will be. But honestly tape grade he is my WR4, I have him Franklin and Thomas basically in a muddle with late 1st and borderline 1st/2nd type grades and if Legette were to disappoint at the combine I could flip that some... I think he is a player who needs to perform well this week. He will still be in that little cluster for me but those 3 guys are close enough on tape to my eye that the testing profile will matter some to the order they end up in. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sean today at Combine Presser specifically referenced explosive plays on offense. The importance of deep plays and YAC on short plays.

To be fair, he didn't go out of his way and "specifically reference" it himself.

He was specifically *asked* about it. And he replied to it with a kind of a bland, matter of fact manner about Offensive philosophy.

Here's the whole question and answer:

Sal: I know at the end of the year, Brandon both talked about "explosive plays". I know you talked about some data that suggested explosive plays on drives for acquistions. Now the evaluation process has been ongoing - are you still in the mindset that that's an area you'd kind of like to focus on and improve at least?

McDermott: Offensively with explosive plays?

Sal: Yeah

McDermott: Yeah, I think you've got to get the ball thrown down the field or you've got to complete it short and then have it run down the field. Whether it be a RAC or throwing the ball down the field and completing it on deeper passes. So, you know the games changing a little bit too, with Defenses going to more split Safety looks and more Zone vs. Man. So it's kind of forcing Quarterbacks or Offenses to be a little more patient at times. So the value of RAC is important then, right? If you're gonna throw it short, you better be able to take it from 5 to 15 or to 50. And I think that's an important piece as well.

I got the feeling from your post that he was tipping his hand on what he was specifically looking for and that's not really what I took out of it watching the Presser.

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

To be fair, he didn't go out of his way and "specifically reference" it himself.

He was specifically *asked* about it. And he replied to it with a kind of a bland, matter of fact manner about Offensive philosophy.

Here's the whole question and answer:

I got the feeling from your post that he was tipping his hand on what he was specifically looking for and that's not really what I took out of it watching the Presser.

Dammit that McDermott quote tells me we are drafting another DL 😭😭😭😭

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And to add to what @DCOrange says above - I completely agree with him that the age and single year of college production are legit "flags" on Legette's profile. I agree that the track record of guys with that profile coming into the NFL is not stellar.

But I think his 2023 film is very good and it is very good despite him being a one man offense. There was nobody else among the passing game weapons at South Carolina who will even play on Sundays. Teams were focussed on trying to take Legette away, especially by mid-season - the Florida game stood out to me.... it was almost as if the defenses were only playing Legette and he still had a big day. That is where to me he is just more impressive than some of other guys in the 2nd/3rd tier of this class - he had to stand up week after week and make the plays and be the alpha. Sure the two Texas kids have their merits but they also helped one another. Brian Thomas's production was definitely helped by Malik Nabers playing opposite him, Polk was opposite Odunze and even Franklin had Tez Johnson who has a chance to be a day 2 type pick next year to pick up some slack.  

I am not surprised Todd McShay is describing him as a polarizing prospect. I think he will be exactly that. I think he will likely go in the first half of round 2, that is my prediction. There will be some teams that wouldn't touch him until round 3, I suspect that is right, but it only takes 1 to like him enough to go early and I think there will be. But honestly tape grade he is my WR4, I have him Franklin and Thomas basically in a muddle with late 1st and borderline 1st/2nd type grades and if Legette were to disappoint at the combine I could flip that some... I think he is a player who needs to perform well this week. He will still be in that little cluster for me but those 3 guys are close enough on tape to my eye that the testing profile will matter some to the order they end up in. 

Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase were on the same team in college.  Talent is talent.  Nabers and Thomas Jr are both top 20 wrs.  Too smooth and athletic not to be.  The combine with help separate the guys outside the top few tiers.  I expect Franklin and Worth blaze.  Lets see the bigger guys move Mitchell Coleman and Legette.    

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd love Chris Jones too. Or a Trade for Davante Adams. But much like Mike Evans, It's not going to happen.

On top of of WR2, we need Starters at DE, DT (of which Ed Oliver is the ONLY DT we have under contract), and Safety (most likely both as it seems reading between the lines of McD's pressers Poyer will prob be cut). Plus a myriad of bodies to fill out the roster with 20+ FA's.

We're 37.5m over the cap. Mike Evans estimated contract is a 4 year $100m deal. Even if we push a lot of that contract off, Year 1 is going to cost way too much money for the position we're in.

We're going to re-sign some guys and we're going to sign some guys. But we can't afford to pay handsomely for any top FA this season. It's going to be middle tier to bargain guys across the board. Much like last season.

That's why everyone's looking at Round 1. WR is one of the most expensive positions in Football. There's a much better chance of getting a real difference maker in Round 1 than from the type of FA that we can afford.

We'll still sign someone to go along with them. But it'll be someone more like Noah Brown or Josh Reynolds than Mike Evans.

My take in looking at the end of the last two seasons the Bills need a new WR ONE! Diggs isn't cutting it in the playoffs...period!  That Chiefs game 7 targets 3 catches for 21 yards is downright pathetic for a so-called #1. And yeah, Evans would only be a temp player till the rookies develop. But Josh needs help ASAP! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase were on the same team in college.  Talent is talent.  Nabers and Thomas Jr are both top 20 wrs.  Too smooth and athletic not to be.  The combine with help separate the guys outside the top few tiers.  I expect Franklin and Worth blaze.  Lets see the bigger guys move Mitchell Coleman and Legette.    

I wasn't saying talent isn't talent. That wasn't really my point, it was that one of the impressive things about Legette is that he beats teams even when they are selling out to stop him. I wasn't diminishing the other guys, I was saying it is something that impresses me about Legette. 

Although I am lower on Thomas than you. I think he is in the mix with the second tier guys not close to the top tier guys. He could go in the top 20 I think - late teens to late 20s is his range. But if I'm a team after a long term #1 I wonder whether he can do enough. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Re: the discussion of age and more specifically breakout age, Xavier Legette's breakout age is probably going to end up being 22.6 based on my own math (but PlayerProfiler.com is really the one place that everyone cites for this and they don't have a breakout age for him listed yet). Players that were drafted in the first 3 rounds with a breakout age of 22.0 or older (roughly dating back to 2007 where PlayerProfiler starts not having some of the players in the database):

Player Year Pick BO Age
Anthony Gonzalez 2007 32 22.0
Greg Jennings 2006 52 22.0
Devin Duvernay 2020 92 22.0
Terrance Williams 2013 74 22.0
Harry Douglas 2008 84 22.0
Van Jefferson 2020 57 22.1
TJ Graham 2012 69 22.1
Danny Gray 2022 105 22.4
Andre Caldwell 2008 97 22.4
Kelvin Benjamin 2014 28 22.6
Jalen Hurd 2019 67 22.6
ArDarius Stewart 2017 79 22.7
Javon Walker 2002 20 22.9
Velus Jones 2022 71 24.3
Henry Ruggs 2020 12 Never
Mecole Hardman 2019 56 Never
Devin Hester 2006 57 Never
Tre Tucker 2023 100 Never
Terry McLaurin 2019 76 Never
Marquise Goodwin 2013 78 Never

It's not exactly a list that inspires confidence. I believe as breakout ages are posted by PlayerProfiler, this will apply to Ricky Pearsall as well who I expect to be around a 22.0.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Yea after breaking down the WR class it definitely a deep one for sure. Just going off of the tape my top 5 pre combine is:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Rome Odunze

3. Malik Nabers

4. Brian Thomas Jr

5. Ladd McConkey

I had Tez Walker at 4 before his horrible senior bowl and not sure McConkey is a Bills fit as a slot but I like him as the # 5 guy. I think the best fit for the Bills is Troy Franklin. Big productive WR in college who can stretch the field but is more diverse than Gabe Davis coming out of college. I'd like to see Franklin add more bulk to his frame as I wonder if he will struggle against press in the NFL. For the rest of my top 10....

6. Franklin

7. Adonai Mitchell

8. Coleman

9. Legette

10.  Baker

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yea after breaking down the WR class it definitely a deep one for sure. Just going off of the tape my top 5 pre combine is:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. Rome Odunze

3. Malik Nabers

4. Brian Thomas Jr

5. Ladd McConkey

I had Tez Walker at 4 before his horrible senior bowl and not sure McConkey is a Bills fit as a slot but I like him as the # 5 guy. I think the best fit for the Bills is Troy Franklin. Big productive WR in college who can stretch the field but is more diverse than Gabe Davis coming out of college. I'd like to see Franklin add more bulk to his frame as I wonder if he will struggle against press in the NFL. For the rest of my top 10....

6. Franklin

7. Adonai Mitchell

8. Coleman

9. Legette

10.  Baker

As I listen and read more draft analysis, I wonder if Odunze is really a sure-fire top 10 pick, especially if he doesn’t run under a 4.55 at the combine.  Great college WR but seems like more of a contested catch guy than someone who will separate consistently from NFL corners…reminds me a little of Drake London.  Not saying he’s not a really good prospect, but I’m not sure he deserves to put in the same tier as Harrison and Nabers…

1 minute ago, mannc said:

As I listen and read more draft analysis, I wonder if Odunze is really a sure-fire top 10 pick, especially if he doesn’t run under a 4.55 at the combine.  Great college WR but seems like more of a contested catch guy than someone who will separate consistently from NFL corners…reminds me a little of Drake London.  Not saying he’s not a really good prospect, but I’m not sure he deserves to put in the same tier as Harrison and Nabers…

I actually love the fact that he caught so many contested balls. Means it should translate if he doesn’t have top end speed. I have him much closer to MHJ than I do to Nabers

I actually think that Nabers is overrated a bit. When Watkins/Hopkins came out a long time ago I always thought Hopkins was better coming out but didn’t have the traits Watkins did. I kind of have the same vibes with Nabers/ Thomas where everyone 8 years from now is like how did we not see Thomas as better than Nabers. I get it tho the rankings for this class will be all over. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Re: the discussion of age and more specifically breakout age, Xavier Legette's breakout age is probably going to end up being 22.6 based on my own math (but PlayerProfiler.com is really the one place that everyone cites for this and they don't have a breakout age for him listed yet). Players that were drafted in the first 3 rounds with a breakout age of 22.0 or older (roughly dating back to 2007 where PlayerProfiler starts not having some of the players in the database):

Player Year Pick BO Age
Anthony Gonzalez 2007 32 22.0
Greg Jennings 2006 52 22.0
Devin Duvernay 2020 92 22.0
Terrance Williams 2013 74 22.0
Harry Douglas 2008 84 22.0
Van Jefferson 2020 57 22.1
TJ Graham 2012 69 22.1
Danny Gray 2022 105 22.4
Andre Caldwell 2008 97 22.4
Kelvin Benjamin 2014 28 22.6
Jalen Hurd 2019 67 22.6
ArDarius Stewart 2017 79 22.7
Javon Walker 2002 20 22.9
Velus Jones 2022 71 24.3
Henry Ruggs 2020 12 Never
Mecole Hardman 2019 56 Never
Devin Hester 2006 57 Never
Tre Tucker 2023 100 Never
Terry McLaurin 2019 76 Never
Marquise Goodwin 2013 78 Never

It's not exactly a list that inspires confidence. I believe as breakout ages are posted by PlayerProfiler, this will apply to Ricky Pearsall as well who I expect to be around a 22.0.

Interesting data for sure.  I wonder if the fact that Legette wasn’t a WR in high school delayed his emergence and if that mitigates concern over late bloomer label.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Interesting data for sure.  I wonder if the fact that Legette wasn’t a WR in high school delayed his emergence and if that mitigates concern over late bloomer label.

Legette was a WR throughout high school until his senior season when the QB got hurt.

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

No one's giving us a 3rd for Elam. Reportedly there were no offers for him beyond a bag of balls at the Deadline. That's why he wasn't moved. An injury riddled last part of the season where we didn't call on him until Douglas AND Benford went down didn't improve matters.

I find it highly unlikely that Beane is trading away a next year's 1st for anyone. His 1sts are gold to him. He didn't even trade away the extra 1st he had when we got Josh. The only time he did move a 1st was when Diggs was available and he decided he'd rather him than any WR that would be on the board when we picked that year. Future 1sts factor too much into his plans to replace players he may or may not be able to re-sign.

The other problem here is teams don't generally want to move down 20+ picks. Even if the value works, you still have to convince the team to move down THAT far. Very unlikely they'd want to. 

Most mocks have Nabers going to the Giants at #6. I don't see any way they'd pass on him and give him to us. I don't care what the deal offered is.

KC sent us less to go from 27 to #10 for Mahomes, plus like I said Schoen owes us. Malik Nabers come on down LFGGGGGG 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Steve Smith calls him a Metcalf clone for what it’s worth

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't doubt they are. But that doesn't mean he's exclusively looking for that and absolutely nothing else matters.

Under 6'1", under 190 lbs, and more than 25-30% slot usage is still an eliminator IMO.

Yes, we're looking for speed and explosiveness. But we're also looking exclusively for an Outside WR2 with our top pick. Beane is always looking for athletes. But he also looks for a buffet of traits.

39 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Would be nice, but I’m not crazy about Worthy (drops, very thin) and not many beyond Thomas Jr and Franklin fit that bill around pick 28.  Tez Walker likely available at 60, but is he skilled enough to fit that bill?  Other fast guys likely will struggle out wide (Wilson, Worthy, a few others).  

Legette is certainly a possibility if he shows he is fast and quick enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

16 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Franklin is thin for his height and frame at 6'3" ~190,  but consider that he has put on 20 lbs in the last 2-3 years (170 lbs entering college) and just turned 21 a couple weeks ago. I think he still has some filling out to do. With the proper training table diet and exercise I think he could easily put on another 10-15 lbs of muscle without slowing down. 6'3" ~205 is a good size for an outside receiver.

The league is showing that size isn't as vital as it used to be look at WRs like Devonta Smith, Jordan Addison, Josh Downs and Tank Dell,  producing despite being "light weights" Sure Franklin has the size to gain but if it's for the sake of losing his speed than it might not be worth it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Malachi Corley

Exclusively a Slot WR. We have a couple of them already. We'd be putting Khalil Shakir or Dalton Kincaid on the sidelines to use him and we'd still need to replace Gabe Davis on the Outside.

37 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Ladd McConkey 

5'11", 187 lbs. Quicker than truly fast. His most successful vertical routes coming from fades from the Slot position. 

Out on him also. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Exclusively a Slot WR. We have a couple of them already. We'd be putting Khalil Shakir or Dalton Kincaid on the sidelines to use him and we'd still need to replace Gabe Davis on the Outside.

5'11", 187 lbs. Quicker than truly fast. His most successful vertical routes coming from fades from the Slot position. 

Out on him also. 

I didn’t say draft him. He’s the best rac in the draft though.

16 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Out on him also. 

But have you considered his name is Ladd McConkey?

Im messing around, I know he’s not the best RAC option, but I do like his game. 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn’t say draft him. He’s the best rac in the draft though.

From the limited amount I’ve seen of him (Corley) so far, a fair bit of his RAC is due to power/running through tackles instead of elusiveness and speed.  I don’t know if that will translate to the NFL level.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

From the limited amount I’ve seen of him (Corley) so far, a fair bit of his RAC is due to power/running through tackles instead of elusiveness and speed.  I don’t know if that will translate to the NFL level.

Great balance and speed translates. Also great hands. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Guys that played at least 40% of their snaps out wide this season and ranked above average in terms of both avoided tackle rate and YAC per reception (listed from highest avoided tackle rate to lowest):

• Malik Nabers (also met these thresholds in 2022)
  • Ladd McConkey (also met these thresholds in 2022)
  • Jamari Thrash (also met these thresholds in 2022)
  • Zakhari Franklin (using 2022 numbers because he barely played this season)
  • Keon Coleman
  • Xavier Worthy
  • Troy Franklin

Would also throw out that Johnny Wilson hit these thresholds in 2022 but not in 2023.

Edited by DCOrange

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Great balance and speed translates. Also great hands. 

Let’s see how fast he really is.  I’m not sure great hands applies to him - I’m not implying he has bad hands, but I haven’t seen anyone saying he has great hands, either.  Didn’t he catch a lot of screens just to get the ball into his hands? 

I am not saying that Corley is no good, but rather I don’t see him as savior of the Bills’ passing offense and a deep threat.  Of course, I could be wrong.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

But have you considered his name is Ladd McConkey?

Im messing around, I know he’s not the best RAC option, but I do like his game. 

Yep, he’s not our top priority, but when I watch him he just looks like a football player to me. That may sound stupid, but he feels smart and gritty to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Btw those referencing Corley....I've been POUNDING the drum for people on here to check him out for weeks. Jusss saying. Steve Smith LOVES him, calls him the steal of the draft. That's enough for me to be absolutely stoked if he took him. 

Not at 28 though right?

He might be an option at 60 if they go D line in the first ..as he is likely to still be there 

Edited by Aussie Joe

If this draft goes according to most draft pundits, it will be historically unprecedented based on my brief research.  

IMO, 3 QBs and 3 WRs going in the top 10 is pretty unlikely.  It’s rare when 3 QBs are taken top 10, it’s extremely rare when 3 WRs go top 10, combine them and it’s unprecedented (feel free to fact check I could be wrong).  

I’ll side with historics and say 2 QBs (Williams/Daniels) and 2 WRs (Harrison/Nabers) go top 10.

Even with a loaded WR class, I don’t think we will see the record broken for WRs taken in the 1st round (7 in 2004) but I wouldn’t rule it out.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Btw those referencing Corley....I've been POUNDING the drum for people on here to check him out for weeks. Jusss saying. Steve Smith LOVES him, calls him the steal of the draft. That's enough for me to be absolutely stoked if he took him. 

He's a TRUE Slot. He ran pretty much exclusively there. As beaming as Steve Smith was about him, even he said you're not going to turn him from what he's been in College into an Outside guy.

We are exclusively looking for an Outside WR to replace Gabe Davis this season and a guy who can develop into our #1 in the Future. 

We have Khalil Shakir and Dalton Kincaid in the Slot. As I said, taking a Slot guy would remove one of them from the field and still leave us needing to replace Gabe on the Outside.

Corley is not an option for us. If he were someone that was available on Day 3, maybe we'd take him if we double dip. But he won't be and we aren't looking at Slots on Day 1 or even Day 2.

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not at 28 though right?

He might be an option at 60 if they go D line in the first ..as he is likely to still be there 

I don't even see him as an option for 60. We're not taking another Slot that high with Shakir and Kincaid in the fold and a hole on the Outside.

• Thank you (+1) 1