2024 WR Draft Class

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, I tend to agree. The more I look at it, I feel like Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze are all coming off the board before Pick 10. The odds that only 1 other WR is taken in the next 20 picks or so seems like a Pipe Dream.

I do think Beane does move up this year a little higher than usual. But even then, I see it being more like 5-8 picks instead of the normal 2-3. Will it be enough to land the 5th WR on the board? Here's hoping.

Ah, okay. Yeah, a guy with only 1 year of production and being a bit older of a prospect would turn people off. I agree, I still like what I saw. 

I don't know, I'm out on Worthy. I really think we need a big body amongst our core and he just doesn't fit the bill to me. He's at my minimum for height and way below what I'm looking for in a frame. And his college usage doesn't fit the bill for me either. 

To me, it would easily be Mitchell if it's a Texas WR. 3" taller and 20+ pounds more in mass.

Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

Nabers isn't happening. While I expect a Trade Up, we won't give up what it would cost to get that high. And the likelihood that someone would want to drop 20+ picks is slim to none even if we were inclined to give that much up.

A move up for Thomas represents the absolute most that we would do. And if the first 3 are gone by Pick 8, like I expect, and Thomas is the next WR to come off the board - even that seems unlikely to me. Save for an unexpected fall and/or someone like Franklin hopping him. WR5 is where we're realistically looking.

I almost fell over laughing when I saw the table flipping gif ahahahahahaha thanks for the laugh mate🤣 

Worthy is one of the most explosive players in the draft and that is what Beane and Sean specifically mentioned they needed, so I could see them considering him.

Mitchell is underrated though I feel like. Big plays in big games. Seems to have the game to become a legit WR1 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Are you ruling Mitchell out of consideration at #28 because of lack of speed? I still think he is going to be good.

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I just don’t view Mitchell as a first rounder. To me he’s a consideration if he makes it to our 2nd round pick or maybe a slight trade up from there. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, that is my sense of it, but most of the folks whose opinion I trust appear to disagree with me.

He reportedly runs a 4.38: https://www.stadiumrant.com/post/the-best-is-yet-to-come-for-adonai-mitchell

If he really runs a 4.38 at 6'4" with the things he did at Texas - that's going to be make him a very attractive prospect. Especially if he tests well elsewhere. Beane is big on tools and traits. More on that below...

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Worthy is one of the most explosive players in the draft and that is what Beane and Sean specifically mentioned they needed, so I could see them considering him.

Mitchell is underrated though I feel like. Big plays in big games. Seems to have the game to become a legit WR1 

I think you can still get an explosive playmaker with speed without giving up size.

You have to keep in mind Beane's MO when drafting in the 1st Round. He always goes for players with a combination of athletic ability and prototypical size for whatever hole he's filling.

He'll take a guy who is viewed as more of a developmental project (like Allen, Edmunds, Rousseau, Elam) who has impressive physical traits and tools that he sees translating at the next level with coaching up over some sick College highlights 6 days a week and twice on Sunday's.

If we're spending a 1st Round Pick on a WR - they're going to want a playmaker, but also one that has prototypical size for an Outside guy. And even more importantly, they're specifically looking for a guy who will always be on the Outside opposite Diggs.

Worthy is a guy who is weighs 170 lbs., isn't short but isn't particularly tall either, and only played 60% of his snaps on the Outside last season. He may be a playmaker, but he doesn't check any other box. And Beane prefers to check them all in early round picks who will be starters.

This is why I'm looking at Brian Thomas Jr, Troy Franklin, Keon Coleman, Adonai Mitchell, and Xavier Legette as more likely. They check way more boxes.

Maybe he surprises me and takes Worthy. But knowing what Beane is looking for and how he generally operates, I just don't see it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He reportedly runs a 4.38: https://www.stadiumrant.com/post/the-best-is-yet-to-come-for-adonai-mitchell

If he really runs a 4.38 at 6'4" with the things he did at Texas - that's going to be make him a very attractive prospect. Especially if he tests well elsewhere. Beane is big on tools and traits. More on that below...

I think you can still get an explosive playmaker with speed without giving up size.

You have to keep in mind Beane's MO when drafting in the 1st Round. He always goes for players with a combination of athletic ability and prototypical size for whatever hole he's filling.

He'll take a guy who is viewed as more of a developmental project (like Allen, Edmunds, Rousseau, Elam) who has impressive physical traits and tools that he sees translating at the next level with coaching up over some sick College highlights 6 days a week and twice on Sunday's.

If we're spending a 1st Round Pick on a WR - they're going to want a playmaker, but also one that has prototypical size for an Outside guy. And even more importantly, they're specifically looking for a guy who will always be on the Outside opposite Diggs.

Worthy is a guy who is weighs 170 lbs., isn't short but isn't particularly tall either, and only played 60% of his snaps on the Outside last season. He may be a playmaker, but he doesn't check any other box. And Beane prefers to check them all in early round picks who will be starters.

This is why I'm looking at Brian Thomas Jr, Troy Franklin, Keon Coleman, Adonai Mitchell, and Xavier Legette as more likely. They check way more boxes.

Maybe he surprises me and takes Worthy. But knowing what Beane is looking for and how he generally operates, I just don't see it.

I agree with you re. the type Beane goes for. I am not sure Mitchell is going to run that fast though. He certainly doesn't look that fast on tape. I see him more as a high 4.4s guy.

I love Mitchell's hands. But otherwise I think he is a guy who is good at most things without a single exceptional trait. I am with DC Orange he is kind of a middle of round 2 guy to me.

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with you re. the type Beane goes for. I am not sure Mitchell is going to run that fast though. He certainly doesn't look that fast on tape. I see him more as a high 4.4s guy.

I love Mitchell's hands. But otherwise I think he is a guy who is good at most things without a single exceptional trait. I am with DC Orange he is kind of a middle of round 2 guy to me.

AD is going to be a Pro Bowl type player in the NFL he's an absolute smooth operator. He needs work on his route running and other parts of his game no doubt about it but u can say the same thing about nearly every other Wr coming out the draft. He reminds me of a faster version of Tee Higgins and I'll take that any day for the Bills. 

This is how I got the Wr ranked so far. This ranking is based on Wrs I project to possibly be available when we pick.

#1 Troy Franklin

#2 AD Mitchell

#3 Xaxier Leggette

#4 Xaxier Worthy

#5 Brian Thomas - There's something about Thomas that really bothers me other then him being explosive seems like he's got a bunch of issues with his game . He reminds me of other freak types that haven't done anything in the NFL like DJ Chark and Terrance Marshall. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

AD is going to be a Pro Bowl type player in the NFL he's an absolute smooth operator. He needs work on his route running and other parts of his game no doubt about it but u can say the same thing about nearly every other Wr coming out the draft. He reminds me of a faster version of Tee Higgins and I'll take that any day for the Bills. 

This is how I got the Wr ranked so far. This ranking is based on Wrs I project to possibly be available when we pick.

#1 Troy Franklin

#2 AD Mitchell

#3 Xaxier Leggette

#4 Xaxier Worthy

#5 Brian Thomas - There's something about Thomas that really bothers me other then him being explosive seems like he's got a bunch of issues with his game . He reminds me of other freak types that haven't done anything in the NFL like DJ Chark and Terrance Marshall. 

I have those 5:

1 Legette

2 Franklin

3 Thomas

4 Mitchell

5 Worthy

I agree to an extent on Thomas. I think he is a total one trick pony. But at that trick I think he is unguardable.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm really warming up to this kid.. He could learn alot from Diggs too but looks like he could be WR1b to Diggs. 

If they go WR in rd 1 , I expect a WR1 not a WR2. Maybe not year 1 but certainly year 2, otherwise address other needs

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I just don’t view Mitchell as a first rounder. To me he’s a consideration if he makes it to our 2nd round pick or maybe a slight trade up from there. 

Interesting.

Wondering why you feel Coleman is 1st worthy and Mitchell is not?  Strictly the speed?  Watching film, it looks like Mitchell is a much better route runner and knows how to separate.  I’m a little worried that Coleman is more like a Kevin White with better rac, minus the injuries.  

edit-  scratch that, I hadn’t read through the entire thread prior to posting this

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm really warming up to this kid.. He could learn alot from Diggs too but looks like he could be WR1b to Diggs. 

If they go WR in rd 1 , I expect a WR1 not a WR2. Maybe not year 1 but certainly year 2, otherwise address other needs

That says he’s 6’0……  what am I missing here?

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I’m guessing the “reportedly runs a 4.38” comes from this article which pops up on Google if you look up Mitchell’s 40 time. If you click the link though, it’s talking about a different player. https://uga.rivals.com/news/the-daily-recap-adonai-mitchell-is-going-to-be-a-tremendous-player-here-

At any rate, we’ll see what he actually runs but I’d bet he’s closer to the 4.5’s than the 4.3’s. Him blowing up at the combine and rising out of our draft range would be fine with me; maybe means a better WR prospect falls to us. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have those 5:

1 Legette

2 Franklin

3 Thomas

4 Mitchell

5 Worthy

I agree to an extent on Thomas. I think he is a total one trick pony. But at that trick I think he is unguardable.

Prospects not necessarily in order after 1st rd

Jermaine Burton

Brendan Rice

Roman Wilson

Ladd McConkey

Malik Washington

Players I don't see it with that are getting some hype

Keon Coleman - Not a natural separator. Yes he makes miracle catches but I believe that's more of a product of not separating. 

Javon Baker- This kid has some skills but based on some of the competition I seen him play against he has problems with separation. There's highlights of him running wide open but I think it's more of blown coverage them him blowing past people. Not saying I don't want the Bills to draft him but rather see it starting in 4th round after we take an alpha type in first 2 rounds. Baker is definitely an enigma because he has the look of a #2 or #3 Wr in the NFL just feels like it will take a couple yrs for him to fine tune his game . 

Luke McCaffery - I just don't understand why everyone has this kid in there mocks. Again separation skills are less then average body type is not what u want in a Wr. I understand the bloodlines but otherwise don't see it with McCaffery. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Just watching his highlight reel he looks like a complete and total loose cannon, but it’s like an axl rose situation… I’m intrigued. Haha

Someone else mentioned it but he does seem to have a bit of a Steve smith element to his play. He is clearly talented and I like his overall skill set and that showing up against SEC talent. But he might be a loose cannon and disruptive personality so the Bills will have to determine if he can fit into their culture or not. But from a pure talent perspective, he could be a DJ Moore Doug Baldwin type wr. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Prospects not necessarily in order after 1st rd

Jermaine Burton

Brendan Rice

Roman Wilson

Ladd McConkey

Malik Washington

Players I don't see it with that are getting some hype

Keon Coleman - Not a natural separator. Yes he makes miracle catches but I believe that's more of a product of not separating. 

Javon Baker- This kid has some skills but based on some of the competition I seen him play against he has problems with separation. There's highlights of him running wide open but I think it's more of blown coverage them him blowing past people. Not saying I don't want the Bills to draft him but rather see it starting in 4th round after we take an alpha type in first 2 rounds. Baker is definitely an enigma because he has the look of a #2 or #3 Wr in the NFL just feels like it will take a couple yrs for him to fine tune his game . 

Luke McCaffery - I just don't understand why everyone has this kid in there mocks. Again separation skills are less then average body type is not what u want in a Wr. I understand the bloodlines but otherwise don't see it with McCaffery. 

I like Baker but agree not as a #1. He doesn't have the speed or explosion to win vertically IMO. I do think he is a good route runner though and can be a good intermediate receiver. Of the non-consensus top 10 or 12 guys I habe watched (and that isn't all of them) he is the guy I am most impressed with. Think his understanding of the game and defensive coverages is pretty advanced. 

Agree Keon doesn't separate. I am all over the map on him. When he is good he is very, very, good. You watch the Clemson film, the LSU film, the Michigan game from last year and you are like "slam dunk 1st round player, possible top 10." And then you watch the Florida game or the Boston College game or Ohio State from last year and you'd struggle to give him a day 2 grade. I have moved him up and down my board more than any player in this class so far. I am settling on he isn't a 1st round grade but he might be upper second. I have stopped watching him now. I will come back in the last week or so before the draft when I have taken some distance. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I’m guessing the “reportedly runs a 4.38” comes from this article which pops up on Google if you look up Mitchell’s 40 time. If you click the link though, it’s talking about a different player. https://uga.rivals.com/news/the-daily-recap-adonai-mitchell-is-going-to-be-a-tremendous-player-here-

At any rate, we’ll see what he actually runs but I’d bet he’s closer to the 4.5’s than the 4.3’s. Him blowing up at the combine and rising out of our draft range would be fine with me; maybe means a better WR prospect falls to us. 

Agreed, he does not appear to be a burner…

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

According to this analysis, isn't he basically Gabe Davis with better hands and route tree? 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have those 5:

1 Legette

2 Franklin

3 Thomas

4 Mitchell

5 Worthy

Franklin’s strength work at the combine is going to be pretty important.  He looks like just what the Bills need, except he is very light for his height.  

I can see Legette’s speed on game tape, but I’m guessing he will run about 4.5 at the combine.  Not sure he has the instant acceleration to kill the 40.  That doesn’t concern me much, though.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

According to this analysis, isn't he basically Gabe Davis with better hands and route tree? 

I'd say he is a smoother mover than Gabe as well.

18 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Franklin’s strength work at the combine is going to be pretty important.  He looks like just what the Bills need, except he is very light for his height.  

I can see Legette’s speed on game tape, but I’m guessing he will run about 4.5 at the combine.  Not sure he has the instant acceleration to kill the 40.  That doesn’t concern me much, though.

I think Legette will run faster than 4.5 but his 20 split will be of interest. Because I agree he is fast but isn't sudden and has to get into his stride to really see the speed.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd say he is a smoother mover than Gabe as well.

I think Legette will run faster than 4.5 but his 20 split will be of interest. Because I agree he is fast but isn't sudden and has to get into his stride to really see the speed.

I think it might be Legette or Franklin or bust (pick a different position) for Bills in round 1.  (I don’t think Thomas Jr will be available and I would not trade up).

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think it might be Legette or Franklin or bust for Bills in round 1.  (I don’t think Thomas Jr will be available and I would not trade up).

Perhaps Beane will be higher on Legette than everyone else, but I don't think any of the reputable mock draft people have had him in the first round in awhile now. Seems like he's settled in as a mid-2nd/3rd rounder for everyone.

Based on the consensus, it feels like Thomas will be off the board, but guys like Coleman, Franklin, Mitchell, etc. are likely to be available. Obviously all subject to change though; once we get to the Combine and draft interviews and stuff, people will start rising and falling a lot I'm sure.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree Keon doesn't separate. I am all over the map on him. When he is good he is very, very, good. You watch the Clemson film, the LSU film, the Michigan game from last year and you are like "slam dunk 1st round player, possible top 10." And then you watch the Florida game or the Boston College game or Ohio State from last year and you'd struggle to give him a day 2 grade. I have moved him up and down my board more than any player in this class so far. I am settling on he isn't a 1st round grade but he might be upper second. I have stopped watching him now. I will come back in the last week or so before the draft when I have taken some distance. 

I like Coleman because he fits what the Bills need. We need a WR that can win against man coverage outside.

Defenses ran man against us more than any other team because they knew they could get away with it against our WRs. As a result we were forced to throw passes to our TEs and RBs against man almost half the time, which is not a recipe for explosive offense.

Insert Keon Coleman... He has traits to physically dominate man coverage. I get that he isn't a great separator, but being able to physically box out his man and win at the catch point can be equally valuable. Also he could be an elite red zone target.

Positional value, physical upside, adds traits that we don't already have. That's what I'm looking for. For me it is Franklin and Coleman as the only two realistically available players that check all those boxes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I like Coleman because he fits what the Bills need. We need a WR that can win against man coverage outside.

Defenses ran man against us more than any other team because they knew they could get away with it against our WRs. As a result we were forced to throw passes to our TEs and RBs against man almost half the time, which is not a recipe for explosive offense.

Insert Keon Coleman... He has traits to physically dominate man coverage. I get that he isn't a great separator, but being able to physically box out his man and win at the catch point can be equally valuable. Also he could be an elite red zone target.

Positional value, physical upside, adds traits that we don't already have. That's what I'm looking for. For me it is Franklin and Coleman as the only two realistically available players that check all those boxes.

Yea I don't know that I think he does dominate against man. Or at least not consistently enough. I think the Bills need a separator personally and while Coleman has a skill set it isn't that. I like him somewhere where they already had that quick separator type. I think he'd be a good fit with say Olave or Wilson opposite him for the Saints or Jets. 

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Franklin has legs that look like they could be snapped like a twig. 

So did Devontae smith and he’s just fine 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I’ve seen him listed at 6-3. Those stats used to be inflated but it’s harder to get away with now. Maybe he’s rounded up a bit but not 3 inches lol

52 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Perhaps Beane will be higher on Legette than everyone else, but I don't think any of the reputable mock draft people have had him in the first round in awhile now. Seems like he's settled in as a mid-2nd/3rd rounder for everyone.

Based on the consensus, it feels like Thomas will be off the board, but guys like Coleman, Franklin, Mitchell, etc. are likely to be available. Obviously all subject to change though; once we get to the Combine and draft interviews and stuff, people will start rising and falling a lot I'm sure.

Late in round 1, if they are likely looking at “early-mid 2nd talent” no matter what position they take.  They need to find someone who can develop further (like Rousseau has).  There are a fair number of wr in this draft who could help the Bills, but most still have limitations or require development.  Only a few, though, fit the description of outside receiver with size who can also stretch the field.

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I’m in 100% agreement we need players who can beat man and press coverage quickly. Even in the years teams played less man against us in-season, we would get to the playoffs and the corners would be physical with Diggs and co and it disrupted things.

Coleman is the second youngest receiver in the draft behind Nabers I believe and so he is still pretty raw. Those amazing one handed stabs he makes are from his time as a basketball player but he does it a little too frequently right now. Good coaching could make him a dominant player because his physical traits are awesome. I’d be happy with him at 28.

The guy I am very high on and like him better than Coleman right now (Coleman has more tools to develop into a more dominant receiver), is Brenden Rice. I don’t know why teams tried to press him as much as they did because he crushed them for it so often. Also Caleb Williams ran scramble drills so frequently Rice became very good at making himself available during the offscript throws where Josh is already so dangerous. I think he is the THE perfect fit for the Bills. 

In the end though, we just need to bring in a lot of young receivers to improve the overall talent level of the WR room like Green Bay did. As long as we draft a receiver early and a few more on day 2 and 3 this draft I will be happy 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

We just dealt with this with Gabe. A large box out type WR that struggles to separate 

We don’t need that and i want nothing to do with Coleman as a result 

We need an elite separation type guy and someone to threaten with deep speed. It will open up the middle of the field so much for Josh. 

Last year our O was compressed, the D could shrink the field and safeties never really had to worry about being beat deep. 

Imo

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think he runs a 4.5 he's gonna be a late 2nd or 3rd round pick

43 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I’m in 100% agreement we need players who can beat man and press coverage quickly. Even in the years teams played less man against us in-season, we would get to the playoffs and the corners would be physical with Diggs and co and it disrupted things.

Coleman is the second youngest receiver in the draft behind Nabers I believe and so he is still pretty raw. Those amazing one handed stabs he makes are from his time as a basketball player but he does it a little too frequently right now. Good coaching could make him a dominant player because his physical traits are awesome. I’d be happy with him at 28.

The guy I am very high on and like him better than Coleman right now (Coleman has more tools to develop into a more dominant receiver), is Brenden Rice. I don’t know why teams tried to press him as much as they did because he crushed them for it so often. Also Caleb Williams ran scramble drills so frequently Rice became very good at making himself available during the offscript throws where Josh is already so dangerous. I think he is the THE perfect fit for the Bills. 

In the end though, we just need to bring in a lot of young receivers to improve the overall talent level of the WR room like Green Bay did. As long as we draft a receiver early and a few more on day 2 and 3 this draft I will be happy 

Coleman might end up being a great Wr but not with the Bills. He just doesn't fit the profile of the type of Wr that Allen flourishes with. Allen needs separators look at 2020 his best season we had Brown, Beasley & Diggs and Allen dominated. Allen struggles a little with Anticipation so big box out guys don't fit that play style. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

The WR draft breakdown is in the second half of the interview.

Spends a lot of time talking about the enigma of Coleman, and then an intriguing bit about McConkey at the end.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Allen struggles a little with Anticipation so big box out guys don't fit that play style. 

I don't agree with this. Allen likes picking a matchup against man and throwing the ball there. If Coleman has a good matchup and Allen trusts him to win at the catch point he will get the ball. This year Diggs was always the matchup Allen chose in those situations and unfortunately Diggs fell off big time down the stretch. We need someone that can take over that role.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't agree with this. Allen likes picking a matchup against man and throwing the ball there. If Coleman has a good matchup and Allen trusts him to win at the catch point he will get the ball. This year Diggs was always the matchup Allen chose in those situations and unfortunately Diggs fell off big time down the stretch. We need someone that can take over that role.

It didn't work with Diggs u think it's gonna work with Coleman? It didn't work with Diggs because it's not Allen game

1 hour ago, DJB said:

We just dealt with this with Gabe. A large box out type WR that struggles to separate 

We don’t need that and i want nothing to do with Coleman as a result 

We need an elite separation type guy and someone to threaten with deep speed. It will open up the middle of the field so much for Josh. 

Last year our O was compressed, the D could shrink the field and safeties never really had to worry about being beat deep. 

Imo

I don't really agree with the Coleman/Gabe comparison personally. I never felt that boxing out and high pointing the ball were strengths of Davis'. He just did a good job attacking the seams in the defense and Allen would lead him away from the coverage. I also don't think pure speed is really necessary to be a field stretcher which is why guys like Coleman and Mitchell are two of the better vertical threats in the draft. Coleman is good at stacking his man and once he's done that, he'll be at a distinct advantage down the field unless you give him safety help. And crucially in comparison to Gabe, he should be much more of a threat in the short/intermediate game as well due to his frame and body control. And while Coleman is not the best route runner, Gabe basically couldn't run routes outside of the vertical stuff; watching him try to run a simple curl route was depressing.

At any rate, separation would be preferred but I think we simply need guys that we're confident can win on the outside, particularly while dealing with press coverage, which is why I've landed on Thomas, Franklin, and Coleman as the three that I would target (assuming no massive trade up). Thomas is a master against press coverage and has enough speed to pull away from DBs. I'm confident he'll demand safety help on the outside. Franklin isn't as dominant against press coverage or as dynamic a deep threat, but he has some real shake to his releases/routes that should allow him to get separation on slants, curls, etc. while still being a threat vertically. Coleman doesn't really create separation super well, but there's flashes of it when he's able to lean into the DB with his strength and then make his cut and his ability to box out and high point the ball allows him to separate at the catching point rather than in the route itself.

For me, I'd prefer Thomas or Franklin, but Coleman has separated himself as the #3 realistic target at 28.

I think if we're purely focused on quick separators against man coverage, you may have to be more open to the idea of getting someone that can win in the slot quicker than Shakir does. That hasn't been Shakir's game to this point in his career and the slot is probably the easiest place to get quick separation against man coverage.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't really agree with the Coleman/Gabe comparison personally. I never felt that boxing out and high pointing the ball were strengths of Davis'. He just did a good job attacking the seams in the defense and Allen would lead him away from the coverage. I also don't think pure speed is really necessary to be a field stretcher which is why guys like Coleman and Mitchell are two of the better vertical threats in the draft. Coleman is good at stacking his man and once he's done that, he'll be at a distinct advantage down the field unless you give him safety help. And crucially in comparison to Gabe, he should be much more of a threat in the short/intermediate game as well due to his frame and body control. And while Coleman is not the best route runner, Gabe basically couldn't run routes outside of the vertical stuff; watching him try to run a simple curl route was depressing.

At any rate, separation would be preferred but I think we simply need guys that we're confident can win on the outside, particularly while dealing with press coverage, which is why I've landed on Thomas, Franklin, and Coleman as the three that I would target (assuming no massive trade up). Thomas is a master against press coverage and has enough speed to pull away from DBs. I'm confident he'll demand safety help on the outside. Franklin isn't as dominant against press coverage or as dynamic a deep threat, but he has some real shake to his releases/routes that should allow him to get separation on slants, curls, etc. while still being a threat vertically. Coleman doesn't really create separation super well, but there's flashes of it when he's able to lean into the DB with his strength and then make his cut and his ability to box out and high point the ball allows him to separate at the catching point rather than in the route itself.

For me, I'd prefer Thomas or Franklin, but Coleman has separated himself as the #3 realistic target at 28.

I think if we're purely focused on quick separators against man coverage, you may have to be more open to the idea of getting someone that can win in the slot quicker than Shakir does. That hasn't been Shakir's game to this point in his career and the slot is probably the easiest place to get quick separation against man coverage.

Im in the same boat mindset that it’s most likely to be one of Franklin or Thomas for us. 

44 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

It didn't work with Diggs u think it's gonna work with Coleman? It didn't work with Diggs because it's not Allen game

It didn't work with Diggs because at the end there he couldn't separate and he couldn't make contested catches. Coleman is an alpha at the catch point. More nuance in his route running than people give him credit for too IMO. He has traits that in theory would make him dominant against man at the next level. Obviously it remains to be seen if those traits actually translate and develop.