Interesting stat I saw in regards to regular season losses

warrior9

The Bills lost 6 times in the regular season. 

In 4 of those losses, the last time Josh Allen saw the field, the Bills were either winning or tied. 

Further proof that McDermott's defense and his soft conservative coaching style in crunch situations will continue to hinder this team. 

EDIT: Wanted to add, The Milwaukee Bucks fired their coach after starting the season 30-13. Winning organizations recognize when change needs to be made. The Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith after a 13-3 (maybe 11-5) season. Pegula needs to recognize that McDermott is good enough to get us a division win and to the divisional round (if we're playing back up QBs) and that's about it. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 18
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

In 4 of those losses, the last time Josh Allen saw the field, the Bills were either winning or tied. 

Further proof that McDermott's defense and his soft conservative coaching style in crunch situations will continue to hinder this team. 

They lost one game by being too aggressive. So…

McDermott just isn’t a clutch coach. Everything else I think he’s very good, but clutch moments are not his thing.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott just isn’t a clutch coach. Everything else I think he’s very good, but clutch moments are not his thing.

Are you referring to KC? I don't think they were being too aggressive? It was a 6 minute drive man lol 

3 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

And yet people regularly come on 2BD and claim that Allen TO's cost us regular season games and any chance of being the #1 seed.  It's maddening.  In only one of the 6 loses could Allen's careless play be blamed for the loss.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Defense isn’t his thing either.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills opponents' margin of victory combined across all 7 of their losses was 29 points. They only gave up 30 points once (Philadephia)

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I believe I also saw the Bills haven't lost by more than 1 score since 2021.

If you're talking regular season, that is true. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I believe I also saw the Bills haven't lost by more than 1 score since 2021.

Yeah, his defense is good enough to keep you in the game but HIS play calling and strategy late games allows teams to just do as they please 

• Like (+1) 1

I am not a McD apologist, but I do think for the most part he is a good HC. What does drive me crazy is when he calls time out when he see the other team's O line up and he doesn't like the play call on D. All that happens is the other team changes the call too and they still convert. You may as well save the time out.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah, his defense is good enough to keep you in the game but HIS play calling and strategy late games allows teams to just do as they please 

The Bills have by far the best point differential the last 4-5 years. They destroy a lot of teams. It’s those clutch moments where he lacks. He also typically coaches tight vs top elite QBs.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

EDIT: Wanted to add, The Milwaukee Bucks fired their coach after starting the season 30-13. Winning organizations recognize when change needs to be made. The Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith after a 13-3 (maybe 11-5) season. Pegula needs to recognize that McDermott is good enough to get us a division win and to the divisional round (if we're playing back up QBs) and that's about it. 

Can you tell me our W/L record in games Josh has multiple TO’s?

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Denver game. Cover zero lost it for us.

I think coaching lost us three games this year.

Denver on McDermott's cover zero and 12 men on STs.

New England on McDermott's awful game plan and Dorsey's not much better.

Cincinnati on Dorsey who was an absolute playcalling disaster that night.

I think that is more than previous seasons and it does bear watching. Josh cost us the Jets game. Bass cost us the Philly game. The field and the jetlag probably cost us the Jags game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thats just ridiculous. Hes one of the best defensive coaches in the league. One of the best head coaches. He’s just not good in close games.

Yeah, that means you aren’t good. His defense blew large leads in like 4 games this season and lost and that’s not counting the games he blew with bad head coaching decisions late in games. He was well on his way to letting the Steelers come back also.

I haven’t looked but he likely blew 10 point leads or more in a dozen games this year and the Josh bailed him out.

Edited by Governor
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Can you tell me our W/L record in games Josh has multiple TO’s?

15 and 19 in his career. 

What's your point? Josh is an issue? 

Again,  regardless of his turnovers, we were tied and/or leading in 4/6 games we lost this year last time he stepped on the field... what's your angle here bubbaccino? 

15 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I am not a McD apologist, but I do think for the most part he is a good HC. What does drive me crazy is when he calls time out when he see the other team's O line up and he doesn't like the play call on D. All that happens is the other team changes the call too and they still convert. You may as well save the time out.

Which makes him..... not a good head coach 

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thats just ridiculous. Hes one of the best defensive coaches in the league. One of the best head coaches. He’s just not good in close games.

Which makes him.... not a good head coach. It doesnt matter if you beat subpar teams. You don't win a SB beating subpar teams. 

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Governor said:

Yeah, that means you aren’t good. His defense blew large leads in like 4 games this season and lost and that’s not counting the games he blew with bad head coaching decisions late in games. He was well on his way to letting the Steelers come back also.

I haven’t looked but he likely blew 10 point leads or more in a dozen games this year and the Josh bailed him out.

I understand but I just feel most coaches have these issues. The defense has also bailed out Josh on many occasions over the years. If you think having probably a top 3-5 defense combined over the last 4-5 years is a fluke then Ok.

I wish I knew why Poyer, Hyde, Milano, Oliver, Rousseau, White, Johnson, Jones, Edmunds, Floyd, Epenesa, Miller, Douglas couldn’t make a single play whenever they play the Chiefs in the playoffs. I don’t think it’s just a McDermott problem but it would be great if it was. That’s an easy fix.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that is more than previous seasons and it does bear watching. Josh cost us the Jets game. Bass cost us the Philly game. The field and the jetlag probably cost us the Jags game.

Inverse challenge to you and everyone.

Those things lost us the games in your opinion...

What would have won those games?

3 hours ago, boyst said:

Inverse challenge to you and everyone.

Those things lost us the games in your opinion...

What would have won those games?

11 men on the field and not 12. Which comes from preparation from the ... *gasp* head coach.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd agree and add the 2 lost rest days cost us the Chiefs playoff game in my humble opinion

I think Sean is an above average HC, but if we are honest with ourselves its been the defense that lets us down the majority of the time, our Defense from the get go, and Dorsey’s marginal play calling skills for a season and a half  bear the brunt of the failures, I can only think that if for a change they went big on offensive weapons for QB 1 things would be noticeably better, they have been whipping the dead horse (so to speak) for defense long enough, what’s that they say about  definition of “insanity”…, 

GO  BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Terry Pegula has the ability to be one of the worst owners in American sports history. Sure, he got it right with McBeane and Allen. 

But as the Sabres continue to careen out of control as they continue to stretch their historical record of ineptitude for a 13th year, I have no internet in forcing Pegula’s hand to be proactive. If the NHL had a QB postion that could save a franchise in 609 days maybe we could have gotten lucky by now. But it doesn’t, it is a business management league, and he’s an embarrassment to the entire league. Terry is a smart geologist who sold portions of his business to business managers, but refuses to relinquish control of the hockey org.

Why would you want Terry to do anything on his own?

Keep Terry away from any business decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Governor said:

Defense isn’t his thing either.

Least yards given up last 4 years - Bills number 2

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/least-yards-given-up-nfl-last-4-years

Most points against last 4 years - Bills number 1

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/least-points-given-up-nfl-last-4-years

Point differential last 4 years - Bills number 1 by far

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/highest-point-differential-nfl-last-4-years

Most wins last 4 years - Bills number 2

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-wins-nfl-last-4-years

The reality is there is only 1 thing this team has not done and no one will be happy until that one thing happens.  People talking about coaching in clutch situations might be right but there is a ton of evidence McDermott is a great coach.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

So the defense kept them in the game?  They have not been blown out in over a year.  Also Josh has pretty much had his full offense all year but the defense has been short since the first Miami game

No, the defense has failed when it mattered most. 

No the defense wasn't short. It lost Milano.. every team deals with injuries. we brought in Rasul Douglas who was better than Tre. 

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

The reality is there is only 1 thing this team has not done and no one will be happy until that one thing happens.  People talking about coaching in clutch situations might be right but there is a ton of evidence McDermott is a great coach.  

Yeah? How far did that get us in the post season against good teams? He cant win big games. 

Using this same logic. Tua is the QB of the future of Miami, yeah? 1st in yards and points? 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah? How far did that get us in the post season against good teams? He cant win big games. 

Using this same logic. Tua is the QB of the future of Miami, yeah? 1st in yards and points? 

If you read my post I addressed the postseason so we agree on that. However I don’t agree he can’t win big games.  Understood there are no Lombardi in the cabinet but he won a lot of big games. 

what logic are you referring to to get Tua and his turning Miami?   I responded to a snarky comment that McDermott does. It know defense.  They have not done well in the playoff games they have been eliminated. 

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

If you read my post I addressed the postseason so we agree on that. However I don’t agree he can’t win big games.  Understood there are no Lombardi in the cabinet but he won a lot of big games. 

what logic are you referring to to get Tua and his turning Miami?   I responded to a snarky comment that McDermott does. It know defense.  They have not done well in the playoff games they have been eliminated. 

McDermott is 1-5 in Play off games against QBs that dont have a back up QB. What big game has McDermott won? 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, warrior9 said:

No, the defense has failed when it mattered most. 

No the defense wasn't short. It lost Milano.. every team deals with injuries. we brought in Rasul Douglas who was better than Tre. 

So the only good coaches the past several years are Andy Reid, Sean McVay, and whoever was coaching Brady?

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Clock management? Halftime adjustments? Challenges?..face it he simply isn't very good facing any good teams with a stud qb

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The problem isn’t his regular season defense, it’s when he’s going up against the leagues best teams/coaches in the playoffs where his defense has been bad.

He’s a great coach to bring into a bad situation and rebuild a program from the ground up, he’s not good enough to lead a team with Super Bowl aspirations, he’s proven that to this point.

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

These stats prove to me that this team has vastly underachieved the last 4 years.

I blame McDs in game coaching. Why do you think a team this elite statistically can't get past the divisional round?

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

It’s been a trend since McDermott got here. 

There’s one common denominator … him. 

He folds like a cheap suit during crunch time. 

Who the hell folds a suit?

• Haha (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, julian said:

The problem isn’t his regular season defense, it’s when he’s going up against the leagues best teams/coaches in the playoffs where his defense has been bad.

He’s a great coach to bring into a bad situation and rebuild a program from the ground up, he’s not good enough to lead a team with Super Bowl aspirations, he’s proven that to this point.

To be fair, I would argue that most playoff teams do worse defensively when going up against the leagues best teams/coaches.  It gets harder as you go into the playoffs, and only one team gets out without losing.  Every team that loses has armchair coaches second guessing why this or that didn't get done, or pointing out why those painful playoff losses are the coaches fault.  I take some comfort in the fact that outside of the funky fluky Bengals game, we're in these games - they are close.  Any number of things just going a little right instead of a little wrong would have us winning those games - particularly the last two big ones against the Chiefs.  

What if this is the deal - Terry Pegula is an awful owner and manager of a sports franchise (see Rex Ryan hire; 2012 - 2024 Buffalo Sabres). He did get very lucky once hiring McDermott, who is a good coach, and Beane, who is a very good GM.  Do you really want him to be making any more decisions with the Bills?

What if there is a team with a better coach and staff, make better personnel decisions and have a QB as good or better than ours?  What if there is another team with an elite QB who presents a nightmare matchup for the Bills?  It’s horrible.  It isn’t fair but, personally, I keep McBeane in place and upgrade at OC and DC.  Maybe that will be enough to get us over the hump.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.