The Three Plays that Cost us the Game

VaMilBill

1 minute ago, dma0034 said:

That's a loss. Hell even Peyton Manning, when he was with the Colts, shaved the clock because he didn't want Brady to have time. Romo literally on the next play said the Chiefs should do Cover 0 because you don't want the Bills to run the clock.

Why do you/people assume the bills would automatically get a TD if they just played for the first down there?

And if they didn't get a TD, clearly we can't trust our kicker to tie it

Always take the touchdown 

50 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Cook dropped a TD as well. Crucial. The non pass to Diggs at the end was the worst one. Get a new set of downs, milk the clock and an excellent opportunity to score. I don’t get why Josh went for a TD there. Too much time left on the clock. :(

The Cook drop (while bad) was not crucial. We scored two plays later and ran the clock so KC had less time to respond. While a bad drop it actually helped. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Play the 3rd and 9 to gain some yards. Then go for it on 4th and 3 or 4. Because even if our bad kicker hits the kick KC has 143 and 2 TOs .. does anyone think KC and Patty would not get 3? Please … 

Thank you, that 3rd down was so poorly played. It’s clear that Bass is useless so you have to try anything to get the touchdown there. Was way too much time on the clock for the Bass field goal attempt, KC and Butker would have beat us regardless. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Why do you/people assume the bills would automatically get a TD if they just played for the first down there?

You're gonna have to trust the kicker if that situation arises as opposed to the defense stopping Mahomes with 2mins left

Edited by motorj
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Diggs dropping that bomb. We end of punting in that drive. No points scored. We probably (maybe?) get at least three there if caught. 

This is the one that kills me the most. Josh missing the crossing route to Diggs there on the last drive on 2nd and 9. If caught, Diggs definitely gets a first and probably goes down around the 10. It’s plays like these that made a Brady great cause he would see it, take the easy, high percentage, throw and keep the chains moving and the clock ticking. I honestly think at this point Josh will never get us over the hump because of either his inability to see plays like that or unwillingness to take the easy dump off even at crunch time. 

Bass missing the FG at the end. Statistically Bass has been one of the worst kickers this season. I’ve been harping about it since the beginning of December. McD simply never trusted him the second half of the season. Last week was a giant flashing sign saying “don’t trust bass!” that McD didn’t heed. Even his XPs tonight were barely eeking in between the uprights. Now I understand if we make that FG, the chiefs still have a lot of time and two TOs, but missing it guaranteed we would lose. 

What was the option?  Cut Bass and bring in a new guy?  Or in this game go for it on 4th and 9?? I don't know if Diggs would have got the 1st down, but could have brought it down to more like 4th and 3 or so, then could see them going  for the 1st instead of kicking.

Agree on other 2 plays, too may times trying for the big one instead of moving the chains.  There were other drops too, think the Shakir drop was worse, but did make up for it on the TD catch. Also bad drop by Cook, did they still score on that drive?

Hard to figure out though how Bass could go from so good for really great first 3 seasons to this year. If this was his 14th year instead of 4th, could chalk it up to his leg is shot.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

It's not even about getting a TD later. You simply cannot give the ball back to Mahomes. Even if that means a closer FG then that's the play. I would rather the Bills tie it with 30 seconds left then give it to Mahomes with 2 minutes left

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, CapeBreton said:

Thank you, that 3rd down was so poorly played. It’s clear that Bass is useless so you have to try anything to get the touchdown there. Was way too much time on the clock for the Bass field goal attempt, KC and Butker would have beat us regardless. 

Totally agree. I told my wife before the drive started if they had to settle for a FG Bass was gonna miss it. Didn’t matter how far out it was. I figure that would be a McD decision, Romo was commenting on just how much confidence McD had in Bass if the game was on the line…. Womp womp womp

The play for Shakir was there if Allen doesn’t get hit. Yes, Diggs was open but maybe Allen may have trusted Shakir more than Diggs. He would never admit it but maybe he treated Shakir as WR1.  With the exception of one play Diggs had been trash all game. 

Just now, dma0034 said:

It's not even about getting a TD later. You simply cannot give the ball back to Mahomes. Even if that means a closer FG then that's the play. I would rather the Bills tie it with 30 seconds left then give it to Mahomes with 2 minutes left

You would rather be tied with 30 seconds left (when Mahomes has shown he only needs 13 seconds for a Fg) opposed to be winning by 4 with 1:50 left?

Respectfully, I do not understand that logic at all.

So best case scenario is OT and worst case is you lose on a game winning kick in regulation?..

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

That crossing route hurt, Diggs was wide open. 

Josh had stopped looking for Diggs by that point. Last 3 attempts to Diggs were incomplete. 

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Totally agree. I told my wife before the drive started if they had to settle for a FG Bass was gonna miss it. Didn’t matter how far out it was. I figure that would be a McD decision, Romo was commenting on just how much confidence McD had in Bass if the game was on the line…. Womp womp womp

Having any confidence in Bass is insane, all of his kicks in the last two games were questionable. Then you watch Butker and he drills everything right down the middle, just painful. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

You would rather be tied with 30 seconds left (when Mahomes has shown he only needs 13 seconds for a Fg) opposed to be winning by 4 with 1:50 left?

Respectfully, I do not understand that logic at all.

So best case scenario is OT and worst case is you lose on a game winning kick in regulation?..

Mahomes wouldn't have any TOs. 13 seconds happens because the Chiefs have TOs and the Bills defend the sideline. 

30 seconds with no TOs and you have to go 45/50 yards. I'll take that risk over him having 2 TOs and 2 minutes needing a TD.

Think this way: He needs to go about 1.5 yards per second to beat the Bills with it tied. Or he needs .5 yards per second to beat the Bills with the Bills winning by 4. That's the logic.

• Like (+1) 1

i think allen was right to go to a wide open shakir there. he hits that 80% of the time without the pressure being there. question is, should josh have felt the pressure and moved away from it? 

or was the blocking so bad there that he wouldn't have anticipated it breaking down like that? 

Just now, dma0034 said:

Mahomes wouldn't have any TOs. 13 seconds happens because the Chiefs have TOs and the Bills defend the sideline. 

30 seconds with no TOs and you have to go 45/50 yards. I'll take that risk over him having 2 TOs and 2 minutes needing a TD.

Think this way: He needs to go about 1.5 yards per second to beat the Bills with it tied. Or he needs .5 yards per second to beat the Bills with the Bills winning by 4. That's the logic.

But it still doesn't make sense to me.

Up 4 with a chance to win in regulation 

Or..

BEST case scenario overtime...

There shouldn't even be a debate to what the better option is.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve already criticised Josh for the final drive on what was otherwise a good evening for him. But any criticism for Dawkins for allowing Jones to have his way with him? If he’d held his ground, just for one more second, it could have been a TD.

39 minutes ago, rm -rf /* said:

My two main issues:

Cutting Haack and going into this game with a gimp punter.

The fake punt. 10 men or not, with that field position--assinine.  I felt like that was huge swing point of the game.

Yeah that fake punt is something to harp on, why in the world was Damar Hamlin even considered to be the ball carrier, he is slow as hell and has zero running capability.  Unreal if you are going to run a fake at least have the ball in the hands of a player that can actually pull it off and run the ball.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

This is the one that kills me the most. Josh missing the crossing route to Diggs there on the last drive on 2nd and 9. If caught, Diggs definitely gets a first and probably goes down around the 10. It’s plays like these that made a Brady great cause he would see it, take the easy, high percentage, throw and keep the chains moving and the clock ticking. I honestly think at this point Josh will never get us over the hump because of either his inability to see plays like that or unwillingness to take the easy dump off even at crunch time. 

Bullspit. Brady always had a kicker who would make the kick to tie the game and then a defense that would stop the opposing offense from winning.

Brady was great but stop recreating history to praise him more than he deserves. He was great...and he was also extremely lucky.

So far Allen is extremely unlucky.

That's life.

42 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

It's the wrong play. The clock is more important than the TD here. If you score on that play you give Mahomes the ball back with 1:55 left and 2 TOs. 

The pass to Diggs was it. You take the easy first and keep burning clock. You need KC to burn both their TOs and have about a minute left. Allen is the best when he takes what the defense gives him and that was the right play.... not the long TD. 

You do not, not pass to a wide open receiver in the endzone. You are assuming we could do both there, use clock and score.

44 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

It's the wrong play. The clock is more important than the TD here. If you score on that play you give Mahomes the ball back with 1:55 left and 2 TOs. 

The pass to Diggs was it. You take the easy first and keep burning clock. You need KC to burn both their TOs and have about a minute left. Allen is the best when he takes what the defense gives him and that was the right play.... not the long TD. 

It would have been incomplete to Diggs just as much as it was incomplete to Shakir because he was hit as he threw the ball. Wtf are you babbling about.

54 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Taking multiple deep shots and bypassing chain moving completions is on Josh 

He three 3 perfect deep passes.  Sherfield let the first one hit his left bicep, and the second one he could not secure, but should have.  And the one to Diggs went right through his hands.  Other than Shakir, none of our WR's made a contested catch all season.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It would have been incomplete to Diggs just as much as it was incomplete to Shakir because he was hit as he threw the ball. Wtf are you babbling about.

He could have thrown it to Diggs sooner, rather than having to wait for Shakir’s route to develop.

Of course, Diggs may have dropped it.

• Like (+1) 1

I will say Josh should've hit Diggs on the cross. It definitely would've been a 1st down and it would've milked more clock. But Shakir was open and Josh got hit at release.  Woulda...coulda...shoulda.  We lost because of huge drops by Cook, Sherfield and Diggs. We lost because Brady choose to ignore play action.  And McD's fake punt was pure stupidity. 

Bottom line is we had way too many injuries to go deep anyway this season. It wasn't ever happening.  KC will get dismantled in Baltimore. 

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs dropping that bomb. We end of punting in that drive. No points scored. We probably (maybe?) get at least three there if caught. 

Earlier in the day, Mike Evans showed America why he's a first-ballot Hall of Famer by making amazing catches all game.

Later that night, Stefon Diggs showed America why he's not a Hall of Famer by letting huge catches go throw his arms.

So sad.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs fumble, drop, and no presser and he’s going to cost nearly $28M next year. 

Sheesh.

A couple plays here and there would have made the difference. But our high profile QB met the challenge and our WR didn’t.

This offense is become a group of role players, and that’s ok. If Stef is going to be more than that he can’t put the ball on the ground and drop passes that hit him in the chest on the biggest stage. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

He could have thrown it to Diggs sooner, rather than having to wait for Shakir’s route to develop.

Of course, Diggs may have dropped it.

Why has Diggs become our underneath guy anyways?  He used to blow by people or run 15-20 yard crossing patterns.  Now he is running mostly 5-7 yard turn ins and comebacks to the QB.  If Diggs is still an NFL receiver, (which is debatable) he has to be doing more then that.  Our route scheme w Joe Brady has been terrible.  Rarely is anyone even remotely open, let alone wide open.  And we go two thirds of the game without throwing to Kincaid.  And while I don't love Knox, we threw to him one time tonite.  That's ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why has Diggs become our underneath guy anyways?  He used to blow by people or run 15-20 yard crossing patterns.  Now he is running mostly 5-7 yard turn ins and comebacks to the QB.  If Diggs is still an NFL receiver, (which is debatable) he has to be doing more then that.  Our route scheme w Joe Brady has been terrible.  Rarely is anyone even remotely open, let alone wide open.  And we go two thirds of the game without throwing to Kincaid.  And while I don't love Knox, we threw to him one time tonite.  That's ridiculous. 

Brady's route scheme requires NFL receivers catching football that hit their hands and arms. That might be the issue.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rm -rf /* said:

My two main issues:

Cutting Haack and going into this game with a gimp punter.

The fake punt. 10 men or not, with that field position--assinine.  I felt like that was huge swing point of the game.

The fake punt didn’t end up swinging anything , as the Bills ended up with the ball after the KC fumble through the end zone . The Bills offense did nothing with the ensuing possession though. 

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Earlier in the day, Mike Evans showed America why he's a first-ballot Hall of Famer by making amazing catches all game.

Later that night, Stefon Diggs showed America why he's not a Hall of Famer by letting huge catches go throw his arms.

So sad.

Just an awful play by Diggs. 

Bass missing the FG at the end. Statistically Bass has been one of the worst kickers this season. I’ve been harping about it since the beginning of December. McD simply never trusted him the second half of the season. Last week was a giant flashing sign saying “don’t trust bass!” that McD didn’t heed. Even his XPs tonight were barely eeking in between the uprights. Now I understand if we make that FG, the chiefs still have a lot of time and two TOs, but missing it guaranteed we would lose. 

Such a bad take on that 2nd and 9 play imo.  I am honestly shocked I keep seeing that posted .  You check it down to diggs there’s still pretty good odds kc keeps us out of the end zone.  Shakir was comically wide open for a td, Dawkins got backed into Josh at literally the last possible moment.  That was an easy pitch and catch td 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Brady's route scheme requires NFL receivers catching football that hit their hands and arms. That might be the issue.

I agree.  Our receivers outside of Shakir are brutal.  Sad about Diggs.  What has happened to the man?  But still his offensive play calling is oh so predictable.  

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It's the type of offense our coach wants,it's obvious now what the problem was between dabol and mcd. McDermott wanted a "complimentary" offense that can string together long clock chewing drives...dabol just wanted every drive to lead to tds whether it 10 play 6 minutes drives or 2 play 30 second drives

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

After the two minute break the play calling was wrong. Just keep,taking what they give and eat the clock

Yep. Why would we want to score quick if we could. Kc would just get the ball and march down.  

8 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I agree.  Our receivers outside of Shakir are brutal.  Sad about Diggs.  What has happened to the man?  But still his offensive play calling is oh so predictable.  

Yea brady while a good story can be upgraded. His style of offense seems more geared for a burrow,baker,tua pocket statues....

3 plays?

How about almost every play the Defense played tonight?  They were a turnstile and couldn't stop the running or passing game.

Who was making the call on D for the Bills?

Mahomes was hardly pressured all game.  Kelce, 2 TDs... Even Vadlez Scandling torched us twice I think.  AND we couldn't stop the running game when it mattered most...

Blame %

Defensive playcalling 25

Defensive players 25

Offensive playcalling and lack of imagination 25

Offensive players 12

Josh Allen 3%

Bass missing kick 10%

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.