So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

Just now, Success said:

No way.  If McDermott stays, it's always going to be his vision on D.  And Belichick will likely only take a HC job.

Is there even a slight possibility that McD won’t be the HC?

I don’t believe so 

Edited by Aussie Joe

9 minutes ago, Success said:

Been thinking about this all day:

If we hire Belichick - who would likely come here - do we stand a better chance of advancing farther in the playoffs, or a worse chance?

That is the ONLY question right now. And it's a no-brainer of an answer. 

There aren’t many players on this roster that he would keep so it would require a tear-down year, then some better, more physical players would come in. He probably wouldn’t keep these OL either.

I would be fine with it, but most would probably freak out. We’d be playing real defense, that’s for sure.

Edited by Governor

Just now, Governor said:

There aren’t many players on this roster that he would keep so it would require a year-down year, then some better, more physical players would come in. He probably wouldn’t keep these OL either.

I would be fine with it, but most would probably freak out.

I thought about that. But he may be more flexible on that kind of thing, since he likely won't coach for enough time to cover a rebuild of any kind.

It's probably a longshot.  But the guy went to the SB every other year, and was a regular in the AFCCG.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I thought about that. But he may be more flexible on that kind of thing, since he likely won't coach for enough time to cover a rebuild of any kind.

It's probably a longshot.  But the guy went to the SB every other year, and was a regular in the AFCCG.

Yeah, probably right. He would work with some and change scheme a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Success said:

Been thinking about this all day:

If we hire Belichick - who would likely come here - do we stand a better chance of advancing farther in the playoffs, or a worse chance?

That is the ONLY question right now. And it's a no-brainer of an answer. 

Bill wins us the superbowl next season if hired now

• Thank you (+1) 1

I dont want to read 31 pages of arguing...so can anyone give me the cliff notes regarding if there is actually any info out there that remotely suggests McD might be replaced?  Because all I have seen is statements from insiders saying McD is going nowhere.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont want to read 31 pages of arguing...so can anyone give me the cliff notes regarding if there is actually any info out there that remotely suggests McD might be replaced?  Because all I have seen is statements from insiders saying McD is going nowhere.  

Baring a miracle McDermott will not be fired...pegula isn't a football guy and as long as we win a playoff game and revenue keeps streaming in he is perfectly content with losing in the divisional round every season

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There isn't. It's just the standard venting after a loss.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the floor with Josh is probably 8 wins so it wouldn’t even be a painful rebuild.

Vrabel is another option but we’ve never seen him with a quality QB. Would he coach Josh up or wreck him? A bit of an unknown there.

• Like (+1) 1

And just a last thought - imagine the change in narrative if we hired Belichick.

Right now, we're the 2nd coming of the Rivers/Chargers teams.  We've hit our ceiling.  And worst of all - we'll never get past KC.  We're really the subject of some ridicule today, and while I think everyone respects that we're a decent team, no one takes us too seriously.

In the fall, it won't matter if we're going undefeated. Everyone will say "show it to me in the playoffs for once."

Bring in Belichick, and the NFL world would be turned upside down.  There would be fear.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/21/2024 at 10:02 PM, Heavy Kevi said:

We desperately need to make the switch. We needed to last year, maybe even the year before; but the reality here is that McD is COOKED

Yes we are as soon as you are hired GM or buy the team.  Otherwise there is no "We".

• Haha (+1) 2

For me the biggest issue was lack of creativity and trotting AJ out to deal with Travis. Seriously that was McD’s plan ?  AJ is washed.  It was such a ridiculous decision.

Mahomes and Maauto looked like two kids playing ball in the backyard.

Edited by PayDaBill$

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes we are as soon as you are hired GM or buy the team.  Otherwise there is no "We".

"We" in this case is common used colloquially in pro sports by fans of the team to denote fan association.

And don't count me out. You never know, maybe I'll get into fracking next and buy the team. ***** maybe I'll even hire myself as GM to make sure I cover all the bases of "we" eligibility.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Heavy Kevi said:

"We" in this case is common used colloquially in pro sports by fans of the team to denote fan association.

And don't count me out. You never know, maybe I'll get into fracking next and buy the team. ***** maybe I'll even hire myself as GM to make sure I cover all the bases of "we" eligibility.

Panthers need you more or even the JEST.

6 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Let's put thing in perspective in our 4 playoff losses 3 vs kc and 1 vs Cincinnati McDermott defense has forced 5 TOTAL PUNTS IN 4 GAMES

Go get Bill belichick and we turn into a dynasty with allen at qb

McD was the D coordinator this year, Leslie was DC on those others. Putting things in perspective means taking into account the injuries, you can't ignore them. It also means taking into account all of this season not just the last game. He got them to the playoffs, there were points his banged up D was better than our healthy O. There was a marked difference between what the D did when healthy & what it did after loosing players the last 2 games leading up to KC. & Bill Belichick would be a disaster here. He would demand to be GM too, so Beane would be out, & that's an incredibly mediocre roster he built in NE. He doesn't do mobile QBs who invent on the fly. Josh would love having his wings clipped by that guy. McD may ultimately have to go, but after the job he did w/ the D this year as a whole, he gets another year (no way Pegula will fire him right now) & not a hope in hell it'll be for Belichick. After next year maybe they'll move on for McD, if so I would hope they'd go w/ a young OC minded head coach (somehow I suspect McD gets more than next year from Pegula though). 

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

6 hours ago, Success said:

Hmm. I doubt it. Bill's defense works because he has VERY specific profiles of what he wants in each spot and assigns values to people that match up. I think he'd like Rousseau, Tre White if he can ever get back healthy and at their peak he'd have LOVED the safeties. I might be missing one or two but there is a lot of guys on this defense who would not be Belichick scheme fits. He might make do with Milano for a year because I think he'd love the character and the motor. But he isn't necessarily a natural Belichick linebacker.

EDIT: I enter into this as purely a thought exercise by the way. In reality there is zero point zero per cent chance it happens.

Edited by GunnerBill

It's almost certainly not going to happen but it is worth considering.  Dan Reeves and John Elway had alot of success together for several years but could never win a Super Bowl...and they got a to couple of them together and just couldn't get over the Hump.  Dan Reeves was a really good football coach and he took Atlanta to their first Super Bowl after he was fied from Denver.  It wasn't that Reeves was bad, but he'd clearly gone about as far as he was going to go with Elway and they moved on to Mike Shanahan, who was alot more innovative on offense and they eventually won back to back in 98 and 99 at the very end of Elways career...RIGHT BEFORE it was too late.

Clearly McDermott is a good coach.  He's overseen the transition for the Bills from a bad team, to one that made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor, to drafting and overseeing the development of Josh Allen, who was very talented, but very very raw and he has seen that through with amazing results.  All these things are great accomplishments to be celebrated.  But....it seems like he's taken this as far as he can....either he's at the limits of his skills and capacity as a coach...stricken by bad luck...message is getting tired and old...or probalby some combo of all that.  Making the decision to continue on with McDermott as HC isn't a referendum on him being a good or bad coach.  He is a very good coach...but it's rather a choice to give a new or fresh voice and ideas a try where McDermotts methods have stalled.

I very much doubt a change is forthcoming, but it's worth considering IF you think there is a guy out there that has a vision, plan and credibility to go farther.  

I don't know who that person would be.  I also don't think McDermott is your coach when and if you win a super bowl.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, uticaclub said:

If we kick the FG, we still lose 

I’ve seen this posted over and over again in the last few days, and yes, it seemed *likely* that the Chiefs would have marched down the fold and gotten a game winning FG, BUT….there are no guarantees. It certainly wasn’t an absolute, and anything could have happened (INT, strip sack, fumble, defense holds and they punt & Bills get ball and get GW FG).

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I’ve seen this posted over and over again in the last few days, and yes, it seemed *likely* that the Chiefs would have marched down the fold and gotten a game winning FG, BUT….there are no guarantees. It certainly wasn’t an absolute, and anything could have happened (INT, strip sack, fumble, defense holds and they punt & Bills get ball and get GW FG).

Sure, anything could happen. But its far more likely Mahomes puts together a drive and we lose.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

If McDermott were fired, would anyone hire him as HC?  I would imagine the Panthers might give him a look, but I can’t think of anyone else.

He would hired as a HC in 2024, help that team improve while giving the Bills the chance to reach the next level

on WGR this morning they read this incredible stat: in the 4 most recent playoff losses (KC,KC,CIN,KC) McDermott's defenses forced a TOTAL of 6 punts in 4 games, with 1 total turnover forced (the goal line fumble this weekend) and zero sacks or INT. 

That's a pattern, not "well, injuries..."

How will it be different next time around? That's the real question. What evidence is there? 

To even get to, let alone win, a Super Bowl you are going to have to beat the top QBs and coaches. This isn't Brady's AFC where he had 2 games to win against the Titans and Jaguars to get there. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But Mahomes is Michael Jordan.

mahomes is lebron james.

there is only one jordan and there will never be a jordan.

kids just don't understand how damn good jordan was - and i grew up a pistons fan.

*brady is kobe bryant.

**james is so good because he is excellent, but the game has evolved to make him as amazing as he is. that was not the case for brady who had to be among the first to enter the modern era getting his ass beat. jordan played when defenses mauled guards, you had to......you know, actually dribble the ball? yep, when jordan played traveling was a thing, so was charging, so was double dribble. this is also about how the NBA is a ocmplete joke

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

mahomes is lebron james.

there is only one jordan and there will never be a jordan.

kids just don't understand how damn good jordan was - and i grew up a pistons fan.

brady is kobe bryant.

I agree 100%. 

Also, I can't wait until "Mahomes is the GOAT" is the unquestionable line and if you bring up Brady you'll get shouted down. I'll actually enjoy that I think. 

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

I agree 100%. 

Also, I can't wait until "Mahomes is the GOAT" is the unquestionable line and if you bring up Brady you'll get shouted down. I'll actually enjoy that I think. 

see my update to the post.

brady did it before the game evolved into pussyball that mahomes plays. brady was not even good until his 4th or 5th year. mahomes hit the ground running with an elite offensive head coach while brady had to learn and get crushed while his elite head coach led the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

see my update to the post.

brady did it before the game evolved into pussyball that mahomes plays. brady was not even good until his 4th or 5th year. mahomes hit the ground running with an elite offensive head coach while brady had to learn and get crushed while his elite head coach led the defense.

Remember that hit by Nate Clements (think it was him).  He'd probably get ejected in today's game for that hit on Brady.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

If McDermott were fired, would anyone hire him as HC?  I would imagine the Panthers might give him a look, but I can’t think of anyone else.

He'd be a shoe-in for the Panthers job. Could probably land the Chargers job if they werent already focused on Harbaugh.

I could even see Atlanta and Washington being interested since those teams are similar to the drought era Bills that McD took on in 2017.

15 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Terry needs to make a move, unless he’s blind or oblivious to the matter.

Harbaugh, Carroll, Vrabel, Belichick. Take your pick. Do it now though. Time be a ticking quickly! 

You know what is very interesting to me is that none of these guys have committed and signed anywhere yet. Why is that, do they know something we dont about the Bills plans? Are they waiting because they all know a Bills HC vacancy automatically makes the Bills the #1 destination because of Josh Allen and it isnt even close. Very interesting times indeed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

IMO the "secret story" is Pegula has spoken to Belichick about his interest in coming here as HC. 

Obviously it couldn't come out unless it gets done, thus local guys are sitting on it and nobody wants the Dunne treatment because everyone involved would deny it anyway, you'd be ridiculed, and it might even make it not happen. It would be the last time you ever had any access to the team. But "Belichick and the Bills" has popped up in enough rumors the past few days that it makes me wonder. 

It fits the "bill" (no pun intended):

1. Only a few would know and it would be top, top secret because of the optics and PR (not sure there's any written rule that says you can't talk with a free agent coach while you have a coach, though. Doesn't have to be an "interview" just a conversation). 

2. Would obviously be something that could not come out unless it gets done 

3. IF it came out that Pegula was speaking to Belichick about coming here while McDermott was preparing for a playoff game, of course it would be a real negative for McDermott, to say the least. 

After the Dunne piece, this is the only potential McDermott story that would be the end for him here, given that I can't see him having done anything wrong/bad/immoral and he's already been accused of pretty much everything possible in the "he said, she said" category by Tyler Dunne. 

I think it's that: Pegula spoke to Belichick about coming here, and there are obviously some people who know about it. Reporters aren't going to publish that with their name on it, and sources would out themselves by discussing it. 

So you get Florio being cute about "a team without a current opening" being a suitor for Belichick, and today's "Would the Bills consider a coaching change?" article. Rex Ryan saying "he wouldn't be shocked" to see the Bills hire BB. 

I would. I'll say that. Be shocked I mean. So that's just odd. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

Loads of teams would hire him. Carolina, Washington, Atlanta, New England etc etc

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Agree.  If Shakir gets the TD, we lose too.  We gotta be up by 9 with 1:30 to go and they play 4 downs. Go 🦬

36 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

on WGR this morning they read this incredible stat: in the 4 most recent playoff losses (KC,KC,CIN,KC) McDermott's defenses forced a TOTAL of 6 punts in 4 games, with 1 total turnover forced (the goal line fumble this weekend) and zero sacks or INT. 

That's a pattern, not "well, injuries..."

How will it be different next time around? That's the real question. What evidence is there? 

To even get to, let alone win, a Super Bowl you are going to have to beat the top QBs and coaches. This isn't Brady's AFC where he had 2 games to win against the Titans and Jaguars to get there. 

Does any team get sacks and picks against KC in playoffs?  Their schemes and skills mean they don’t beat themselves.  Can’t say the same for our team.

4 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Does any team get sacks and picks against KC in playoffs?  Their schemes and skills mean they don’t beat themselves.  Can’t say the same for our team.

In the 2021 AFC Championship, the Bengals got 4 sacks and 2 INTs.

Same when Tampa beat them in the SB. 3 sacks, 2 INTs.

That's how you beat them. It is possible. It has been done. (Yes, it is very difficult)

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Sacked 4 times vs Bengals in the AFC Title Game (at home)  also threw 2 INT

Sacked 4 times vs Patriots in the AFC Title Game (at home) 

Sacked 3 times in the Super Bowl vs Tampa also threw 2 INT

Our defense has played him 3 times now. 0 sacks. 0 INT. 

With all of the investment on the DL, that is flat out unacceptable.  

Actually, the defense played its best game against Mahomes and the Chiefs this time around, finally forcing a fumble and holding them under 30 points. 

It's hard, no doubt. The deep rounds of the playoffs are when you face the real teams that actually deserve to be there, not the Wild Card cannon fodder. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.