Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I've made a similar statement and got roasted. Most here aren't objective enough to be critical of the team, players, coaches, and organization. I doubt this is a wake up call. 

The Bills will run it back with McD. The posters here in August and September will be full of optimism. It will be another super bowl appearance for sure. 

Some things are very predictable. One of them is the Chiefs beating the Bills in the playoffs. 

Mcd is the common denominater in all 3 of those playoff losses.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No, it wasn’t ideal.  I agree - It was a tough spot. 

But I can’t keep giving a defensive head coach excuse after excuse as to why his defense fails us against good offenses in the playoffs every year. 

That performance was horrific.  Beyond anything I could have possibly predicted.. especially given our offense played ball control all game. 

At some point, it’s him .. not the mental exhaustion or injuries or team not being ready for the moment yet or miscommunication/confusion on a late drive with 13 second left. 

100% accurate here. There's one common denominator here. Everything changed after 13 seconds. McD and the team have been unable to recover from that. Folks, changed is needed. You can't expect different results from a head coach that can't get it done. It's fools gold and we fans continue to buy it. 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Can you name a single coach that is going to take 4th/5th string players at LB and at DB along with 2 of the players playing well below 100% clearly and "scheme" something up that would allow them to not get smoked?  Because I don't really know of one off the top of my head.  Especially when he has only a single game to try and get them playing together and a new "QB" of the defense making adjustments on the field?

Respectfully, not even Belichick is making that D look good.

Horseshi! here because we have a clear pattern of blunders, incompetence, and plain losing in the divisional round of the playoffs. The Bill still managed to lose in an epic way. Almost come to expect it in a sickening way. 

The type of result we saw yesterday wasn't a one off or just bad luck. For years, the Bills have fallen woefully short of their realistic goal. This is all under the demise of coach McD. He single handlely gave the Chiefs a playoff win with 13 seconds. The have NEVER been able to recover since. Last year, his team was unrecognizable vs Cinci. Yesterday, the Bills had a huge field advantage. One we fans have waited years for. The defending champs came into our building and stoled a win. Let that sink it. It's clear the Bills are the bitc#es of the Chiefs. They own us and I don't see that changing under a McD lead Bills team. Why would anyone? 

McD needs to go tomorrow. There are so many good candidates that would have a great chance to further advance the Bills. McD has had his chance and he continually fails. Fails in epic ways. Please, don't give this nice guy an excuse. Hold him accountable!!!! Let's move on to a new regime that can beat KC and Cinci. It's clearer than cleaned glass that McD can't. Change is the answer! McD isn't! 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

No offense...But of course you can... We needed at least one more if not 2 more 1st downs, then score... That pattern should not have even been available to Josh because of course he's going to throw it. He's Josh Allen and he can't help himself... And sure it's a TD if he can step into it... But he couldn't because it's a 30 yard route, it takes a little more time, and their best defensive player effected the throw. Instead if we throw 2 HIGH percentage 5 yard passes... Or call a Josh run and a pass. Get at least one more 1st down...Then KC has to use their 2 TO's bare minimum... Get another 1st down and worst case scenario it's a chip shot FG with no time left. .

We blew it... Period...

Short passes and the run game drove the offense--- especially in the first half. With the Bills driving, and the chance to bleed the clock, this is exactly what was called for at the end of the game. If Allen had hit Shakir, does anyone think the defense would have stopped Mahomes with 2 minutes left? LOL

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Can you name a single coach that is going to take 4th/5th string players at LB and at DB along with 2 of the players playing well below 100% clearly and "scheme" something up that would allow them to not get smoked?

Starting Klein was McDermott's choice. He has to take complete ownership of that mistake. Klein was awful and was mercilessly picked on by Mahomes throughout much of the game. Then on the last drive Dorian Williams was subbed in... and we miraculously stopped two series in a row (out of necessity because the refs called a phantom penalty on the first one). That drive included a couple of really good plays from none other than Dorian Williams.

McDermott chose the "safe" option in Klein and was soundly punished for it. He then refused to admit his mistake and make a change until it was way too late. That is 100% on him. Great coaches find a way to overcome injuries by having the right players prepared. Chiefs were down to their 3rd string safety, backup WLB, and backup NT.

This isn't just hindsight on my part by the way, I was saying before the game Williams should get the start and only be pulled for Klein if he was repeatedly abused by misdirection.

Obviously the expectation wasn't to shut down the Chiefs, but with a defensive head coach we should expect a lot more than an abysmal 8.5 yards per play given up and only forcing a single punt, against an offense that has struggled for most of the season.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Mcd is the common denominater in all 3 of those playoff losses.

Bills fans just can't see the obvious. If yesterday wasn't a wake up call than I don't know what to say. 

The excuses will start flowing soon. The gratitude will flow like river whose damn has broken. 

The loyalty of critical Bills fans will be riddled with insults and derogatory comments. I've shielded them off for most of the season. 

Today I take no glory in the Bills loss. In fact, I get a bit more upset as the time passes. This will be another game that we fans will soon not forget. It's another epic failure added to our memory banks. Another dagger that's found out way.

The chatter of the Bills not being about to get it done will grow. Why shouldn't it be a discussion. Failure year after year after year after year. All valid points of discussion. Many Bills fans will try to elude the obvious truth and add in pointless excuses. The blind truth cannot be seen by most. Perhaps, it because the great loyalty of its fan base refuses to admit failure and fatal flaws. It was on display yesterday. 

The Bills received a gift of a football fumble out of the end zone. A gift from the football gods. For a short time, I thought wow maybe things will be different. It's a sign that the Bills will win. Karma if you will. How foolish was that train of thought. 

Game on the line and the Bills absolutely lost a golden opportunity to basically close out the game. Allen who played magically up to this point lost his wand. Missing a wide open Diggs and failing to connect with a wide open Shakir in the end zone. 

Lastly, Bass missed the field goal try by a country mile. Not even remotely close. Can't say we didn't see this coming? We all did and it happened. 

The Bills are unable to get over the hump with McD as the coach. Whether it's the players, KC, choking, lack of talent, etc ...The Bills always find a win to lose in the playoffs. None of us with reasonable minds should be shocked a vulnerable KC team pulled out the win. Yet, so many Bills fans are. 

Yesterday should serve as a wake up call

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Starting Klein was McDermott's choice. He has to take complete ownership of that mistake. Klein was awful and was mercilessly picked on by Mahomes throughout much of the game. Then on the last drive Dorian Williams was subbed in... and we miraculously stopped two series in a row (out of necessity because the refs called a phantom penalty on the first one). That drive included a couple of really good plays from none other than Dorian Williams.

McDermott chose the "safe" option in Klein and was soundly punished for it. He then refused to admit his mistake and make a change until it was way too late. That is 100% on him. Great coaches find a way to overcome injuries by having the right players prepared. Chiefs were down to their 3rd string safety, backup WLB, and backup NT.

This isn't just hindsight on my part by the way, I was saying before the game Williams should get the start and only be pulled for Klein if he was repeatedly abused by misdirection.

Obviously the expectation wasn't to shut down the Chiefs, but with a defensive head coach we should expect a lot more than an abysmal 8.5 yards per play given up and only forcing a single punt, against an offense that has struggled for most of the season.

At least someone likes to hold the head coach accountable. Refreshing to see although not pleasant. 

• Agree 1

The best part of this game was the total blueprint we put on paper of how to beat the 2023 KC Chiefs. Let’s be honest that KC team is not going into Baltimore and coming out with a win. Baltimore has a healthy and more talented defense. Baltimore has a WR 1 and WR 2 that are better than ours. Baltimore has a platoon of one-cut RBs, a nasty OL, and 6’3” 305 wrecking machine at FB. If these Bills managed 180 yards rushing, I can only imagine what the Ravens will do. Good Luck is right. 

Edited by Dr.Sack
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

At the end of the year.  I feel the Coach can't get it done with 1vof the best qbs to ever play the game

The evidence suggests this is a valid thought process in the playoffs. The chatter will only get louder next year. 

Frankly, I'm done with McD. 

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The best part of this game was the total blueprint we put on paper of how to beat the 2023 KC Chiefs. Let’s be honest that KC team is not going into Baltimore and coming out with a win. Baltimore has a healthy and more talented defense. Baltimore has a WR 1 and WR 2 that are better than ours. Baltimore has a platoon of one-cut RBs, a nasty OL, and 6’3” 305 wrecking machine at FB. If these Bills managed 180 yards rushing, I can only imagine what the Ravens will do. Good Luck is right. 

You think a knowledge football fan would know not to count out the Chiefs led by a future hall a famer coach, a generational QB, and a first ballot hall a game TE. Shame on you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Can you name a single coach that is going to take 4th/5th string players at LB and at DB along with 2 of the players playing well below 100% clearly and "scheme" something up that would allow them to not get smoked?  Because I don't really know of one off the top of my head.  Especially when he has only a single game to try and get them playing together and a new "QB" of the defense making adjustments on the field?

Respectfully, not even Belichick is making that D look good.

Can you name a coach with a worse record in the divisional round with 4 or more games?

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm usually an optimistic Bills fan, super disappointed, but feel good about the way Josh played and a lot of the young talent on offense in particular...but hard not to feel like Creed Humphrey and Trent McDuffie being in KC will always haunt me given how easily they could have been cornerstones in Buffalo. I cringe a bit every time I hear their names. 

Underrated takeaway from the game...Mahomes will get all the accolades, but I don't think the Chiefs win that game without Pacheco. He runs different. Helped prolong so many of their drives and put points on the board instead of punts. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can't wait for another McDermott led year with 1 of the best qbs to ever play the  game to lose early in the playoffs again.  The narrative is not only old, tired, repetitive, but needs to be eliminated.  It starts with the head coach, not 1 of the best qbs to ever play and not sniffed a SB.  That's straight up failure at coaching.  If you can't see it in 3....3!!  Loses to the Chiefs in the playoffs, then you are just delusional 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

McDermott is secured for another season because he led us to the 2nd seed and we won another Wild Card playoff game.

His future beyond that depends on next season.

True.  That does not mean it's a good thing

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, weebdestroyer12 said:

there's nothing that is medium 10,15-20 yards plays. the lack of pass plays in this playbook is terrible.

This has been a problem all season.  Josh used to be deadly on those crossing routes over the middle.  Last night I don't remember a single complete pass that traveled 10 yards in the air

Forgive me for thinking our luck had changed when:

1. Josh didn't get called for a forward lateral (RIP Frank Wychek and Kedarius Toney)

2. KC fumbles through the end zone

3. Refs get both of the aforementioned right.

Then - wide right.

The football gods were just effing with us.

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Forgive me for thinking our luck had changed when:

1. Josh didn't get called for a forward lateral (RIP Frank Wychek)

2. KC fumbles through the end zone

3. Refs get both of the aforementioned right.

Then - wide right.

The football gods were just !@#$ with us.

Bass has been bad all season tho... it wasnt a shocker

4 minutes ago, CirclnWagons said:

We had to wait out Tom in New England to get out of the basement of the AFC East and now we’ll have to wait out Mahomes to ever get to the big one. 

We gotta wait on Pegula to give up on McD. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I'm usually an optimistic Bills fan, super disappointed, but feel good about the way Josh played and a lot of the young talent on offense in particular...but hard not to feel like Creed Humphrey and Trent McDuffie being in KC will always haunt me given how easily they could have been cornerstones in Buffalo. I cringe a bit every time I hear their names. 

Underrated takeaway from the game...Mahomes will get all the accolades, but I don't think the Chiefs win that game without Pacheco. He runs different. Helped prolong so many of their drives and put points on the board instead of punts. 

Mahomes deserves the accolades. He went into Buffalo and beat the Bills. To imply or diminish this accomplishment is kind of crazy. Mahomes led his team to victory if that includes a Pacheco so be it. 

Mahomes showed the football world why he's the best QB on the planet. What Josh did is an afterthought because his team lost. He will be answering upcoming questions about why he and his team can't sustain consecutive playoff wins. The ghost is appearing on his back. The elephant is in the room. 

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Can't wait for another McDermott led year with 1 of the best qbs to ever play the  game to lose early in the playoffs again.  The narrative is not only old, tired, repetitive, but needs to be eliminated.  It starts with the head coach, not 1 of the best qbs to ever play and not sniffed a SB.  That's straight up failure at coaching.  If you can't see it in 3....3!!  Loses to the Chiefs in the playoffs, then you are just delusional 

Home run. The silence tells you all you need to know. 

The same people will be ramming the McD walks on water narrative come next season. Denial runs deep. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

McDermott is secured for another season because he led us to the 2nd seed and we won another Wild Card playoff game.

His success this year was measured in a large part because of his early incompetence. Add it all up and it's a disappointing and unsuccessful season. 

At some point one and done with Allen should not be seen as a success. Seeding (beside #1) doesn't mean anything except home field advantage. You seen how that worked out. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Heck of a last few months of this season. Really did not expect us to be where we were at mid season.

We just were not good enough last night.  Needed our WR’s to get open and they weren’t most of the night. Josh had a clean pocket a lot of the game and nobody to throw to.  Diggs needed to catch that pass. Defense was gutted, yet had a respectable game.  And after all that. We had a possibility to win and run the clock,Manx at the very least tie the game.  Would we have stopped them if we had tied the game?  Probably not, but dang at least give the team a chance.

One observation. When you have a running back playing very well, keep feeding him the ball.  Cook was playing very well and kept getting pulled.  Just let him play!  Not that that was the reason we lost.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Good god. What more do we need to see that we don’t already know?  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Anyone including ownership that thinks things will be different next year is delusional.  This is what you get with McDermott , nothing more sometimes less.

29 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Mahomes deserves the accolades. He went into Buffalo and beat the Bills. To imply or diminish this accomplishment is kind of crazy. Mahomes led his team to victory if that includes a Pacheco so be it. 

Mahomes showed the football world why he's the best QB on the planet. What Josh did is an afterthought because his team lost. He will be answering upcoming questions about why he and his team can't sustain consecutive playoff wins. The ghost is appearing on his back. The elephant is in the room. 

Home run. The silence tells you all you need to know. 

The same people will be ramming the McD walks on water narrative come next season. Denial runs deep. 

Mahomes showed he can hit wide open wide recievers and not much more. Not that impressive of a showing vs a decimated defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

And if the Bills manage that again next year? Same again? How many times are they going to repeat the same thing? There are good coaches about this off season, and the Bills would be number one location for most. Might not be able to say the same thing in 2025. They need to take advantage now. Look at the Bucs axing Dungy, or the Eagles cutting Reid. McDermott may still be successful elsewhere but his time should be up here.

8 hours ago, phypon said:

If they want a defensive HC I'd take Bilichic over McD

I would prefer Jim Harbaugh. He knows the next three years draft class better than anyone and we would win the Lombardi in the next two years. We need perfect drafting with Allen's cap hit.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Let’s not forget McD essentially traded Mahomes to KC so that he would kick our asss every year…talk about sealing your fate before you ever even play a game…

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Let’s not forget McD essentially traded Mahomes to KC so that he would kick our asss every year…talk about sealing your fate before you ever even play a game…

Just sums up the Bills luck. I said it last night - they got Josh and Diggs. What did the Chiefs and Vikings get in return? Mahomes and Jefferson. Typical.

Saying that, IMO Mahomes is no better than Josh. Switch them around and I still think the Bills would have lost last night, dare I say by a slightly bigger margin. 

2 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

hard not to feel like Creed Humphrey and Trent McDuffie being in KC will always haunt me given how easily they could have been cornerstones in Buffalo. I cringe a bit every time I hear their names. 

Trent is a Nickel CB playing the Nickel because of his size and short arms. Yes, he beat Taron for 1st Team All Pro. But there isn't much separating Trent as 1st Team AP and Taron as 2nd Team AP. 

We didn't need a Nickel on Draft Day because Taron has been solid for years. We needed an Outside CB. That's why we passed on him. Shame that Kaiir hasn't worked out, but Trent really can't play Outside.

Humphrey on the other hand, yeah, that's a rough miss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Unpopular opinion- Gabe Davis was missed WAY more than we or I expected. 

He definitely brings in at least 1 if not both of the long balls to Sherfield..

Those are game changers in this type of game 

Edited by JerseyBills

16 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Just sums up the Bills luck. I said it last night - they got Josh and Diggs. What did the Chiefs and Vikings get in return? Mahomes and Jefferson. Typical.

Saying that, IMO Mahomes is no better than Josh. Switch them around and I still think the Bills would have lost last night, dare I say by a slightly bigger margin. 

While Josh played well for most part I think mahomes takes the diggs throw instead of throwing it to Shakir in end zone as we wanted to run clock there and not score right away giving the chefs time to score. If that happens I think the Bills win. Mahomes understands that part of the game where Allen fights it. 

• Agree 1

If you want to win a Super Bowl you have to make plays

Diggs didn't 

Sherfield didn't 

The entire defensive line didn't 

Bass didn't 

This team had injuries. Those injuries mattered. But at the end of the day if one or two guys make a play we are headed to Baltimore 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At the end of day..the Bills just had too many injuries to overcome. Going against one of best QB/coach of all time you need all hands on deck. We were down to our 3rd 4th and 5th string LB’s. And 3rd string Corner. We’ve been hit by the injury bug last two years!! Smh

7 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

While Josh played well for most part I think mahomes takes the diggs throw instead of throwing it to Shakir in end zone as we wanted to run clock there and not score right away giving the chefs time to score. If that happens I think the Bills win. Mahomes understands that part of the game where Allen fights it. 

I think the Diggs or Shakir option is a toss up which one is the one to take. As others have said, who knows if Diggs would have dropped it anyway? Or fumbled? Or there would be a tipped interception on the next play? Where the opportunity is there to try for a TD, should it be taken?

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Unpopular opinion- Gabe Davis was missed WAY more than we or I expected. 

He definitely brings in at least 1 if not both of the long balls to Sherfield..

Those are game changers in this type of game 

He might have done if he’d run the right route but, based on this season, he would have probably been standing next to Diggs or Shakir instead.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.