Johnson clears protocol, Bernard not expected to play

Process

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

If Von Miller is dressing then Bills should consider having him rush up the middle and not trying to go wide and around tackles where he needs to bend

Slow dance with a guard instead of a tackle. Interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I thought it was confirmed he's out?

Doesn't seem to be anything official just some tweets saying they have sources saying he's not expected to and then they contradict themselves saying that he may be given a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Maybe I'm worrying too much but who's gonna cover kelce. We will win. Go Bills!

They can bracket Kelce with two defenders(Dodson/Poyer) let Douglas cover Rice, D Williams spy on Mahomes, Jackson, Johnson, Hyde cover the rest, and hope for the best!

Go Bills!!!!

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mango said:

That’s remarkable. From a pure fandom perspective I’m glad he is a go. 

From a human perspective, this is this guys 5th concussion of his career and he can play in 6 days? Nobody in the NFL gives a shirt about player health or safety, and the independent neuro’s must be on  the take.

It is also possible concussions are largely misunderstood by the general public

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Special K said:

They can bracket Kelce with two defenders(Dodson/Poyer) let Douglas cover Rice, D Williams spy on Mahomes, Jackson, Johnson, Hyde cover the rest, and hope for the best!

Go Bills!!!!

Interesting thought. D Williams can definitely find himself out of position, but if he lights up Mahomes the way he lights up most of the ball carriers he tackles watch out!

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

It is also possible concussions are largely misunderstood by the general public

One kind of gets the sense he found himself in the protocol out of an abundance of caution given his history, which is the antithesis of the Tua fiasco.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transient said:

Interesting thought. D Williams can definitely find himself out of position, but if he lights up Mahomes the way he lights up most of the ball carriers he tackles watch out!

That’s what I was thinking.....Williams can get overwhelmed in coverage, but there is no easier assignment than watch 15, and light him up if he tries to run it!!

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Go Bills!!!!

This was one of my thoughts going into the week.  While I am not sure it should be our base defense for the game, I think we should up the pressure on Mahomes more than we have in the past.  Honestly, outside of Kelce and Rice, I don't find their other pass catchers overly dangerous.  Punkchecko is a worry for sure, but I think I am sending waves at Mahomes.  I'm using simulated pressures and delayed blitzes at times.  Send the initial rush, use a spy that can convert to a rusher anytime he sees Mahomes trying to escape the pocket.  My hope is that by sending the waves is that even if they hand it off, the 2nd wave will be able to stop the run.  Limit Mahomes movement in the pocket.  He will turn his back towards the defense today looking for a way to escape.  He does it all the time.  Make him pay.  In the past, you didn't want to send extra pressure because you feared getting beat down the field with Hill.  He's not there anymore.  Trust your CBs to lock up the outside WRs for 4 seconds while bracketing Kelce and make sure you get home.  Again, not doing this every down necessarily, but there are definitely situations in longer down and distances to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Aesop said:

Big news on Taron. Although undersized, he is our best answer for Kelce. Also going to need a big game from the front four tonight. If Ed and DQ-J can control the A+B gaps it will make life easier for the combo of Dodson/Williams/Klein to diagnose and make plays on Pacheco in the run game.

He's just the right size to be a All Pro.

• Agree 1

I figured that was going to happen (with both Johnson and Bernard).  Dodson is available and Klein will have the benefit of a week of practice.  Bernard would have been nice, but McDermott has proven adept at working around his missing starters.  If Buffalo wins today, I think there's a good chance both Bernard and Spector will be available against the Ravens.

1 hour ago, Aesop said:

Big news on Taron. Although undersized, he is our best answer for Kelce. Also going to need a big game from the front four tonight. If Ed and DQ-J can control the A+B gaps it will make life easier for the combo of Dodson/Williams/Klein to diagnose and make plays on Pacheco in the run game.

I think Ed and Daquan are the key to the deal today.  I really do.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

The other option is Bernard suits up but only plays in key spots.

Would be very anti-Mcd'like, but some teams do it.

I wonder if they'd dress him in a break glass in case of emergency role, considering how thin our LB room is at the moment.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

I wonder if they'd dress him in a break glass in case of emergency role, considering how thin our LB room is at the moment.  

Today’s game is the emergency  break the glass 

3 hours ago, WNYFAN1 said:

Couldn't agree more. It's cringy hearing the guys on WGR praying the Johnson can quickly get over his FIFTH concussion to go play football. How many career traumatic brain injuries does a player need to have before we stop rooting for him to quickly clear the protocol?

What’s cringy about praying someone recovers quickly and clears the medical protocol designed to evaluate health and risk?  I hope Johnson recovers from his injury as and returns to work as quickly as he can.

Cringy would be “I’m praying he ignores the protocol if he doesn’t test as healthy and plays anyway.”

This is manufactured outrage.  No one on WGR said or implied they were praying that the injury protocol be ignored for the sake of firlding a p,ayer not healthy.

If you have a problem with the protocol, that’s another issue.   Let’s call the sports neurologists.

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

That’s quite the ***** theory/accusation. 

You can find ten “rigged, fixed, Vegas, Sharps, Big Market, TV, ref, owner, money, greed”  accusations sans evidence every 60 minutes on this board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Numerous crappy teams and teams with scoring defenses ranked in the 20s, two in the low 20s, have held KC to 21 or fewer points.  Six in fact.  

The 30th, 17 points.  

The 27th, 19 and 9 points. 

The 24th, 13. 

The 23rd, 20.

If our 4th ranked scoring defense cannot manage to hold them to 21 or fewer, even with injuries, which are common to every team ...  

In fact, one of the teams we beat to get here, a win without which we wouldn't have made it, had their starting QB, a top one, their only decent starting WR, also a top one, and one of the best DEs in the league all out.  As merely one example.  

Same with our offense in our own house.  

KC is as offensively weak as we'll ever see them with Mahomes as QB.  

GO BILLS!!!  Get this done!  

Shoot, the Raiders beat them at Arrowhead with a QB that only completed 1 pass the whole game.  We can do it!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Neo said:

What’s cringy about praying someone recovers quickly and clears the medical protocol designed to evaluate health and risk?  I hope Johnson recovers from his injury as and returns to work as quickly as he can.

Cringy would be “I’m praying he ignores the protocol if he doesn’t test as healthy and plays anyway.”

This is manufactured outrage.  No one on WGR said or implied they were praying that the injury protocol be ignored for the sake of firlding a p,ayer not healthy.

If you have a problem with the protocol, that’s another issue.   Let’s call the sports neurologists.

Ok, so is it 7 tbis? 9? 11?

"returns to work" is a profession that immediately puts him at risk for another tbi.

5 minutes ago, WNYFAN1 said:

"returns to work" is a profession that immediately puts him at risk for another tbi.

most of the folks here are not doctors or brain experts. 

we have a gentleman that wants to play football and knows it is high risk in a number of ways. I hope that his doctors give him fair and accurate information regarding both his current state, his potential risks and even whether they think it’s a good decision. I also hope once he reaches the established benchmarks he has some say whether or not he’s ready. Most importantly I hope he heals quickly and can make those decisions when he’s ready- which seems to be today. 

I don’t feel like I should make those choices for him. Frankly if it’s purely medically driven no one should ever be on the field. So now we are left with I hope he heals quickly and I hope he makes choices for his future that are informed and comfortable for he and his loved ones.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WNYFAN1 said:

The protocol addresses the severity of the injury, whether it’s concussion one or six.

Football players work in a profession that puts that at health risk day one.

I’m not sure what you find cringy.   Is it the risk in the game, the medical protocols built around the risk, or the radio personalities praying he recovers quickly and clears protocol?

Im trying to follow you.  I believe you called the personalities praying for the best “cringy”, but your real beef is with a collision sport that puts men at risk.  Go Bills.  Get well, all.

Bills lead the league in starting undersized LB's. This results in frequent injuries during the year. (Milano has NEVER played a complete season). It's only going to get worse. RB's and OL are getting larger and faster. Bills linebackers continue to shrink in size. It's great for speed, but means the Bills will need to keep the AJ Klein's of the world on speed dial. Go Bills..    

2 hours ago, McMuffin said:

Shoot, the Raiders beat them at Arrowhead with a QB that only completed 1 pass the whole game.  We can do it!!!

KC is arguably the most overrated, not worst, but overrated team in the playoffs.  

They've been playing .500 ball for over two months.  The only playoff team that they've beaten all season is Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mango said:

That’s remarkable. From a pure fandom perspective I’m glad he is a go. 

From a human perspective, this is this guys 5th concussion of his career and he can play in 6 days? Nobody in the NFL gives a shirt about player health or safety, and the independent neuro’s must be on  the take.

I’’d like to throw down here the part that the players hold in all this.

A concussion is not like a broken bone or a torn ligament.  You can’t usually see it on x-ray or MRI - a significant trauma with a subdural bleed but that’s relatively rare.

How do you know a player has a concussion?

1) they accurately report symptoms

2) they gave an honest effort on their baseline testing so post-concussion testing shows cognitive defecits

”The independent neurologists must be on the take”, way to slander medical professionals.  Why would they be “on the take”?    What would be the benefit to their careers and professional reputations if they cleared a player who is reporting symptoms or who didn’t pass his baseline testing?

And way to dodge the elephant in the room - the responsibility players have for their own health and safety, and the fact that they really really really want to play and that some will shade baseline tests and minimize symptoms towards that goal.  

Hopefully Taron Johnson has not done this and is legitimately cleared to play.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.