Kansas City at Buffalo in the Divisional Round!

chongli

Andy Reid is going to figure out mismatches that the Steelers couldn’t in game.  

Klein.  Dorian.  They are going to be attacked either running at them or in coverage.  

This is the first time we’ll see Pacheco as their featured RB.  

Thank God we have Jones back.  

We are really going to need our DEs to get to Mahomes.  

That’s always been the key to beating them.  

And we’re going to need to score over 30.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wjag said:

All television opinion suffers from macro recency bias based on W-L results and not on why a W-L occurred.  

Pretty much 

The line I keep hearing is "Josh never beat Patrick in the playoffs" and I keep thinking "ok, but for your sample size you are picking 2 out of 6 of the last four years". Also of note: 5 out of 6 have been in Arrowhead. by that logic the Bills are 0-1 against the Chiefs at home...because they played in 2020 when the Chiefs were objectively better.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

None of which are significant injuries…. Think the woe is me mentality is very overblown here about the injuries…. They will have several of those guys back Sunday.

Actually they are very significant. And the fact that the team still can play the way it does is a testament to the defensive mind McD has and the way they run this franchise. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

None of which are significant injuries…. Think the woe is me mentality is very overblown here about the injuries…. They will have several of those guys back Sunday.

Huh??? Almost all of them are significant. Benard is very significant, particularly without Milano; he's been huge all year and is the playcaller of our defense!  Also, Douglas, Benford and Taron Johnson are very important defensive starters in the secondary, if even one or two can't go that's a problem (especially Johnson who is one of our best players).  You can hide maybe one bad player but having reserve players over the defense will be exploited by Reid/Mahomes. Not saying we can't win with a great offensive performance and opportunistic defense, but the injuries will certainly be significant. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I take your point, but...against the Chiefs, of all teams, let's say the Bills wind up being without Bernard, Benford, and Johnson. Very possible. That would be...significant. To be down to second stringers at both linebacker positions, Cam Lewis instead of Taron Johnson, and Dane Jackson instead of Benford...those are potentially outcome-swinging injuries.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree with this.

None of these injuries looked awful on replay.

I think Benford, Douglas and Rapp make it back.

Historically, Taron Johnson has come back quickly from these things, even last week with Ty Johnson he took a much harder hit and was cleared by Friday all on limited practices. 

Bernard I can’t see coming back in one week. Again, it wasn’t some egregious looking ankle sprain though. It rolls, but you don’t see some horrible snap. 

Dodson will have to wear a harness and I would expect less than optimum performance, Spector is reported to be ok. 

I don’t know about Gabe. If a rolled ankle in Week 2 explained an entire years worth of up and down production (doesn’t explain 2023) then I can see him not making it back for this one too. 

31 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

like 5% of the posters there are good, as in they have a realistic view of their team and this game.  The rest are sociopaths who are focusing their mental illness (one might say projecting!) onto this game.  I bet the incidence of domestic violence is a few standard deviations above average for that crew, matched with room temp IQs and a web 1.0 design make that place painful.  But hey they have lots of colorful descriptions of what they are going to do sexually to the Bills so there's that I guess.

Its a sexual violence forum with a football theme.  Most of those people should be on a watch list if they aren't already.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Klein.  Dorian.  They are going to be attacked either running at them or in coverage.  

Yeah, Klein was a perfect call up for the running attack Pitt was likely to and did run. But he is a North South LB who can help with straight blitz rushes against stationary QBs. None of that is happening this Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

like 5% of the posters there are good, as in they have a realistic view of their team and this game.  The rest are sociopaths who are focusing their mental illness (one might say projecting!) onto this game.  I bet the incidence of domestic violence is a few standard deviations above average for that crew, matched with room temp IQs and a web 1.0 design make that place painful.  But hey they have lots of colorful descriptions of what they are going to do sexually to the Bills so there's that I guess.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its a sexual violence forum with a football theme.  Most of those people should be on a watch list if they aren't already.

You guys absolutely nailed it. These descriptions are just exactly perfect. Kudos.

And just to keep things on topic: I enjoy saying Reggie Gilliam's last name. Gill-ee-um. It's fun.

just like last week I am very worried about the bills ability to stop the run sunday.  KC will get buffalo spread out and then run inside where there strength is on the line and pacheco is a tough tackle.  I am concerned he breaks a few 20+ yard runs simply because of the light boxes.   

The flip side is without bernard they are going to hit short passing plays in the middle and turn them into big plays.  

Hopefully like last week Buffalo is playing with a lead and an incredible atmosphere.

The Dolphins had a similar injury situation to ours on defense - and they did a pretty good job against that KC offense.  You have to consider that the Miami offense had a ton of 3 & outs, and their TOP was 10 minutes less than KC.  It wasn't until later in the game that their D started caving a bit and the game got out of reach.

KC is not an explosive offense - and we have solid depth players. If there is one thing I really trust McDermott with, it's gameplanning a good defense w/ the players he has available.  

If our offense can put 27+ on the board, that should win the game, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

I see a lot of negative mindsets going into this game. I'm on the newer side here, but I assume this happens before every game? Just a week ago you guys were so nervous about the Steelers. Lol

Edited by Gman10

1 minute ago, Gman10 said:

I see a lot of negative mindsets going into this game. I'm on the newer side here, but I assume this happens before every game? Just a week ago you guys were so nervous about the Steelers. Lol

I think that the ridiculous amount of injuries on defense have dampened spirits a bit more than usual around here. Combine those with the fact that we've lost the last two playoff games against the Chiefs and many probably won't believe the Bills can get past them until they see it with their own eyes and...there you have it.

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

The way he’s played all year, lumbering out there and showing his age, Kelce seems primed to make critical drop or fumble in this game, which will swing the momentum. 

I'm convinced there's a silent majority of football fans who are ready to be done with the hero worship of Kelce and attention ***** around Taylor Swift.  Im also wondering how long the State Farm commercials last if KC are divisional round losers

Let it be our Bills who usher in this glorious new era

1 minute ago, Gman10 said:

It's funny - I always see opposing fans describe us as "insufferable" and "cocky," but we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Always.

It's decades of history, as well as everything that happened just this season.  I don't think anyone really knows what to expect w/ this team.

2 minutes ago, Gman10 said:

That's how this board is.

Although I am confident in the Bills, this will be a tough game.

1 minute ago, Success said:

The Dolphins had a similar injury situation to ours on defense - and they did a pretty good job against that KC offense.  You have to consider that the Miami offense had a ton of 3 & outs, and their TOP was 10 minutes less than KC.  It wasn't until later in the game that their D started caving a bit and the game got out of reach.

KC is not an explosive offense - and we have solid depth players. If there is one thing I really trust McDermott with, it's gameplanning a good defense w/ the players he has available.  

If our offense can put 27+ on the board, that should win the game, imo.

Miami just brought pressure seemingly every snap after the first quarter especially in the red zone and even a little outside of it. 

They probably felt like they had to gamble because they had no chance to get home with a four man rush.  I have to think Buffalo likes their matchups outside with our ends and their tackles especially with the noise.  The chiefs strength is in the middle of the line and that kind of creates a push with our interior.  The bills DT played really well in KC this year though.

If Jordan Phillips can go Sunday that adds an interesting dimension.  He has the ability to be really disruptive and frankly intimidating.  I can see him taking down Mahomes and Mahomes then crying at the refs whaa whaa whaaa hes not allowed to do that

• Like (+1) 1

I know we are focused on our players.....I feels Chiefs are relatively healthy. But they are down a few players.....several WR are out. A DL was hurt last week. Feels like they have 2-3 guys to really focus on plus not letting Patty beat us.....They seem to have a lot of 3rd and long and he runs because no one is open.

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

I'm convinced there's a silent majority of football fans who are ready to be done with the hero worship of Kelce and attention ***** around Taylor Swift.  Im also wondering how long the State Farm commercials last if KC are divisional round losers

Let it be our Bills who usher in this glorious new era

with all due respect I do not see Kelce and swift as seeking attention.

Swift is one of the most popular people on the planet.  She is on a level only a few in music/entertainment have ever reached or even imagined reaching.  She is just living her life going to the games.  If she were some kind of Diva A-hole I could maybe see the pushback but I simply will never understand it right now.  She is good people.

It seems its just the redneck ignorant culture (which the NFL is 90% of) that has made this an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Punch said:

Continue sitting on the couch out of spite or get an NFL paycheck? Hmmm, tough call.

The players get less compensation for playoffs than you might think.   For the division round, each player on the Bills will get $46,500.  Vet minimum for a 7 year vet would be $64,700 per game, so it's not even vet minimum.  And of course, if he's on the practice squad and not elevated that's a max of $20,600.

Spotrac puts Haack's career earnings at $7.3M.  

He might have what Klein called "the itch" to join a team in the playoffs, but I'm kind of thinking the paycheck per se might not be the strongest motivation to cancel whatever plans he and his family have made and fly into the lake effect snow.

PS if you're let go from an employer and you say "no thank you" if they try to hire you back, is it always spite IYO? 

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I had forgotten about Phillips! It's good to see Dodson and Douglas back at full and Johnson limited (working his way through protocol).

Let's see what the report looks like tomorrow for these guys sitting. There has been speculation that Benford and Spector were pain management issues, so sitting them for a day isn't crazy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

If Jordan Phillips can go Sunday that adds an interesting dimension.  He has the ability to be really disruptive and frankly intimidating.  I can see him taking down Mahomes and Mahomes then crying at the refs whaa whaa whaaa hes not allowed to do that

Problem is, as big as he is… he gets pushed around on run defense.

3 minutes ago, Gman10 said:

Mark Schlereth used to talk about how often professional athletes are successful because they are delusional but there are two kinds of delusions.  He said the lineman who was next to him who was a future hall of famer and at the time was like a 10 year vet, perennial all pro.  He said they would be in the huddle and this guy would be in a panic because he was absolutely convinced that the 7th round rookie he was going up against was going to smoke him.  He was convinced that this borderline roster guy was better than him.  On the other hand, some pros who are barely on the roster are convinced they are the best at their position, not only on the team but in the league.  Opposite delusions both drive these athletes to success.  I think you find these two mindsets in life and amongst fans.  Some fans are always convinced their team has no chance against the Panthers and the others are convinced that the Ravens have ZERO chance against their team.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

this is a bummer.  I thought for sure rapp and benford would be at least limited.  This feels like a game they are going to need rapp to mix it up a little and help in stopping a physical offense

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MikePJ76 said:

this is a bummer.  I thought for sure rapp and benford would be at least limited.  This feels like a game they are going to need rapp to mix it up a little and help in stopping a physical offense

Looking like that Rapp calf is more severe than first reported. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Problem is, as big as he is… he gets pushed around on run defense.

Our ideal DT foursome against the Chiefs, IMO, would be:

Oliver
Jones
Joseph
Phillips

Oliver and Phillips are your 3Ts. Jones and Joseph your 1Ts and run stoppers.

Guessing Settle will play over Phillips this week. Bills seem to like him more than I do.

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I was looking for a "tears of joy" emoji to put on this post, but I had to settle w/ an awesome.

Worth noting McDermott responded to a question that was phrased, "Is there hope?" Nothing in his response indicated that there was real hope prior, but just my opinion reading body language. 

Edited by beebe
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Gabe is the one guy I don’t care if he’s back or not…..net negative….a black hole. I’ll say it again, team will be much better off when he’s not here next season.

Keep talking like that so Gabe's mamma can show him and he'll go off 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Our ideal DT foursome against the Chiefs, IMO, would be:

Oliver
Jones
Joseph
Phillips

Oliver and Phillips are your 3Ts. Jones and Joseph your 1Ts and run stoppers.

Guessing Settle will play over Phillips this week. Bills seem to like him more than I do.

In another thread someone I saw someone mention that the Raiders ran a lot of 5-2-4 at the Chiefs. At the time I thought "oh, that's a odd combo but out LB and CB core is so good that I don't think it applies"

Now? Maybe it's worth a spin. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.