Mike Francesca blasts greedy NFL for airing Miami at KC game exclusively on Peacock

chongli

Greedy is putting it lightly. Unbelievable that they're going to make people pay to watch a football game.

I can remember back when HBO started to become a thing and they started charging to watch boxing matches.

You could watch the same fighters on ABC every Saturday but you know, GREED.

NFL's no different.   

Between the refs and this new thing they call streaming for cash I'm really beginning to hate the NFL with a passion.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I watched just to see if he fell asleep during the broadcast.  

also he is spot on.  No one should be surprised.  The nfl hates their fans.  

NFL fans should have refused to pay for PSL's (The worst thing to ever happen to fans) but they didn't.  They all get bought up (50% by brokers and businesses who then sell them for profit) and ruin the home atmospheres.

The nfl long gave up caring about their fans.  Now they blatantly want the young fans money.  They are gearing everything towards young people who want to watch on their phone and wont blink on signing up for peacock.  While at the same time the boomers who have been watching the nfl for 65 years and helped make it what it is will mostly be shut out of the game.

Its the future and it is going to keep trending that way.  It wont be too long before there are 10 or more games on an exclusive pay to see basis.....while they broadcast games live from argentina, saudi arabia, paris or wherever.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He is not wrong here. It is a shame that many football fans will not be able to watch the game. All playoff games should be on CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, ESPN.

Agree but not ESPN solo.  The committee that controls ability for NFL to have a limited monopoly should look at the streaming only.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Agree but not ESPN solo.  The committee that controls ability for NFL to have a limited monopoly should look at the streaming only.

They've had TNF on prime for a couple of years - why is it different for peacock to buy a game?  

ESPN and NFL network are in far fewer houses - so people needed to buy a streaming service to watch those too.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)

Here is the counter-argument the NFL would use in support of paid streaming games:

The difference between the past, when all games were OTA and free is they've added games on TV over the years so there didn't used-to-be:

kickoff game 
TNF almost every week
MNF double-headers some weeks
17 games

a bye week, so more games can be watched
many international games

Thanksgiving evening game
Black Friday game
Christmas games some years
this many Saturday games
14 playoff teams which created this extra game

Compare the number of TV games to even just 10 years ago, never mind going further back.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Actually quite despicably scrupulous. Pretty shameful IMO. 

People’s sport… you’ve made money from them all year long. They are your profits. Give back something as a token of gratitude. 

Better yet, if they want to make money pool it from the NFL funds not your consumers. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 3

Everyone should be saying the same thing!   Absolutely brutal.  

Whoever started this whole streaming/cut the cord movement should be drawn and quartered.    I have never spent more money and had less ease of use or access to things I have wanted to see than the way things are right now.    

I miss the good ole days!  Hah

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Real McClappy said:

Agreed 100% especially playoff games.

NFL Idiots wonder why Millions of people illegal stream games.

I dont even understand why they care if people use streams.  I watch the commercials either way.  Yeah ratings might be down but im just as likely to see an ad and buy a product.  I assume that helps them set what they can sell the commercial time for.  

• Agree 1

the NFL got $110 million just for this one Peacock game. Roughly 1/9 of a billion dollars to stream 3 hours of content one time. That's incredible. 

There will be more exclusives next season, but luckily there's only so many choices as the broadcast partners are locked in. There will be more Peacock exclusives (many 2 regular season and 1 playoff) and probably an ESPN+

Edited by TheFunPolice

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I watched just to see if he fell asleep during the broadcast.  

LOL. [Actually, he is 69, but doesn't look too bad for his age:]

Screenshot-58-1-e1619806983585.jpg

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you live out in the country where "high speed broadband!" ads are taped to telephone poles you're SOL. Ask me how I know! LOL

I swear my old dial up was faster than what we have at the cabin. Luckily it's just a cabin (and the #1 reason we chose to buy our house in a populated area). We need good internet for work. 

18 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He is not wrong here. It is a shame that many football fans will not be able to watch the game. All playoff games should be on CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, ESPN.

Why ESPN? Many football fans will not be able to watch that game either.

Just now, chongli said:

LOL. [Actually, he is 69, but doesn't look to bad for his age:]

Screenshot-58-1-e1619806983585.jpg

its just a long running joke.  He actually fell asleep a few times when he was doing the show by himself and it was simulcast on the yes network so the video of it was funny.

• Shocked 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

the NFL got $110 million just for this one Peacock game. Roughly 1/9 of a billion dollars to stream 3 hours of content one time. That's incredible. 

There will be more exclusives next season, but luckily there's only so many choices as the broadcast partners are locked in. There will be more Peacock exclusives (many 2 regular season and 1 playoff) and probably an ESPN+

We don't know that yet for a fact, as certain games,including one WC game next year, are up for bid among al lthe networks. It could be CBS or FOX or Amazon.

Edited by chongli

Where was his outrage a few weeks ago when the Bills game was only available via streaming? 

Oh, and a thought I had but it was after the game started.  Set up a Zoom session with screen sharing for those that want to see the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s not about the money! There are actually people who don’t have access to streaming. Geeeez

I mean... you can watch peacock on a phone.  More households have internet than have cable.  Like everyone has a smart phone or tablet or laptop.  

NBA playoffs are on TNT, same with NHL and TNT/ESPN, MLB is on several channels people don't have.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

Here is the counter-argument the NFL would use in support of paid streaming games:

The difference between the past, when all games were OTA and free is they've added games on TV over the years so there didn't used-to-be:

kickoff game 
TNF almost every week
MNF double-headers some weeks
17 games

a bye week, so more games can be watched
many international games

Thanksgiving evening game
Black Friday game
Christmas games some years
this many Saturday games
14 playoff teams which created this extra game

Compare the number of TV games to even just 10 years ago, never mind going further back.

To me, the strongest argument against streaming is that the NFL has an antitrust exemption and any fiddling with the playoff schedule will make, say, the Missouri delegation in Congress take a close look at it.  The NFL seems to think they can get away with it.

In that list - TNF is streaming, Black Friday is streaming, the international games and Saturday games are now NFLN games.  These are games nobody asked for and were sort of forced on us with the move to a 17 game schedule and this whole international series.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, chongli said:

We don't know that yet for a fact, as certain games,including one WC game next year, are up for bid.

it's incredible to me the amount of $$ to be made on one game, although I would imagine that the price for subsequent games would not be as high on a per game basis. But who knows

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Just Jack said:

Where was his outrage a few weeks ago when the Bills game was only available via streaming? 

Oh, and a thought I had but it was after the game started.  Set up a Zoom session with screen sharing for those that want to see the game.  

Whether we want to admit it or not, there is a big difference between a game on the Saturday night before Christmas involving Easton Stick and a playoff game involving Patrick Mahomes.  Buffalo pulls strong from their own market, where the game was available free OTA.  Kansas City has a larger national following... and it's a playoff game.

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I mean... you can watch peacock on a phone.  More households have internet than have cable.  Like everyone has a smart phone or tablet or laptop.  

NBA playoffs are on TNT, same with NHL and TNT/ESPN, MLB is on several channels people don't have.  

MLB has hurt the game with playoffs on various networks.  It sucks they do it and it ruins the best part of the season.

2 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

It seems weird to pay for a sport that is so custom made for advertising revenue 

That's why I don't pay for games. It's a pure double dip.

Edit - Well, technically I do pay - just not the providers.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, chongli said:

[Mike Francesca, for those who don't know, was the co-founder of the famous radio show Mike and the Mad Dog with Chris Russo.]

It's five dollars.

$5

I can see it being the "ultimate slap in the face" if it were $99.99 PPV, but we are talking about five dollars...

$5

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Not to derail the thread, but given the cost of NFL stadiums and the current trend for the GOV to fit the bill, I think any municipality that gives tax dollars to build one should always get games played in it broadcast for free. The new stadium is using NYS tax dollars, I think every home in NYS should have free access to broadcast. If a cent of federal money goes into it then every home in the country should receive free access to the TV broadcast. 

If the NFL, Peacock, Youtube, owners etc. don't like it, they are welcome to build their own $1.5B stadium and play gatekeeper to the TV rights. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.