Can Khalil Shakir be WR2 next season?

2 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I think Shakir can have a Cole Beasley type 1000yd season, but he isn't going to be a #2. We need to draft a #1 receiver while Diggs is still young enough to contribute at a high level(We've seen a bit of a drop off from him...maybe he's banged up). It would really be nice to have that rather than hope that Shakir can fill that role. Those over the middle catches that both Beasley and Shakir do are critical pieces to this offense. They prevent those safeties from zeroing in on the outside receivers. Best case is to keep Shakir in his current role and improve on it, draft a true #1 to pair with Diggs. The passing game has really gone through some growing pains this year, but it's still pretty good. We're seeing production from guys like Shakir and Kincaid. Seems the pass game is still trying to find itself. It's good, just not quite elite good. Get someone that can compete at Diggs level and then we're cooking. For now, Josh needs to put more faith in Shakir and Kincaid. Take some of the weight off of Diggs and Davis.

Same. I really like his hands - early season not included. He looks like 100% slot to me. 

I agree for WR, we need to find someone in the draft. We also need to start looking at aging vets on defense, like maybe a safety or better depth at LB. Not sure who will be resigned for the DLine. Everyone wants that flashy WR, maybe even 2 of them, but there are so many positions that can not be ignored.

We'd better hope that Diggs doesn't make a stink to get out of here.  Anyone convinced that he won't is being naive given the circumstances and playoffs pending.  

We may very well need #1 and #2 WRs.  

This would be as bad as thinking Josh Reed could be a number 2. KS has done some good things but if you don’t think Davis is good enough as a #2, it would be even worst with Shakir. He has very average physical skills. He is fine as a 3/4. Expecting more from him would be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I like Shakir's game a lot.  Shifty, strong and a real threat as a YAC guy.  But, as others have said, he has some physical limitations that keep him from being a true #2 (or #1).  I see him as our long-term starting slot, assuming we can somehow land a big speedy outside threat to take over for Gabe.

Edit: One thing I don't understand is people calling Shakir slow.  He ran a 4.43 40, roughly the same speed as guys like James Cook and Jahan Dotson.  He's not slow at all.  His biggest issue is his short arms/catch radius.  

Edited by TheBrownBear

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

As is QB1

Who would have thought we'd be sitting here with a top defense, highly graded Oline, effective run game, and our one concern with this team would be the passing offense...

QB!?  that's a very difficult argument to make.  He has scored more TDs than any player in the league.

The O-line looks good because of Josh's ability to run away from it.

Minus Cook's 3 big games this season, the "effective running game" is, effectively, again, Josh Allen.

Despite a bad game Sunday, QB1 is not the problem.  He has stopped targeting WR2 and WR1 disappeared nearly 3 months ago.  Diggs couldn't find separation in Michael Strahan's front teeth.  He's averaged 37 YPG over the past 7 games---and that's with 55 targets.   

The Bills have to get bigger, stronger, better at WR1 this off season. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm all in on making a play for top drafted wr to take the #2 roll and eventially move to #1 WR

Shakir is developing into a solid utility type of WR. I see him getting plenty of playing time moving forward, and forsee him filling in a niche roll similiar to Beasley did for us.  However we need a solid #2 who is capable of developing into our #1 WR, and I don't feel Shakir would excel in those spots.

he might have to be for one season unless we can get an FA on the cheap. We're going to need at least 1 if not two Safeties, a couple of DEs, a starting DT, a top 3 WR, a CB or two, a Center prospect. We won't be able to get them all, so Beane will have to prioritize what we can live without. My guess is that WR #2 gets deprioritized for a year while they get more big men and secondary support.

We're going to need a lot of cap help as we're currently getting significant contributions from 6 players under $2M and most of those guys are all due huge raises (Epenesa, Davis, Jackson, Dodson)

i see the BILLS addressing the WR spot in both the draft & FA. Bringing in multiple rookie wr's into this offense at the same time seems like a risky move for next season. It'd be safer from a production standpoint if there were a veteran WR who could step right in & perform from day 1. The need is severe enough for Beane to look everywhere imho.

100 Receptions

1096 yards

8 TDs

Yeah he's in decline say's I sarcastically.

I do agree though that a new receiver, a 1B receiver would make the Offense much better. Someone who can step into the 1A job when Diggs leaves in a couple years.

7 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

This next draft is loaded at WR.  There will be excellent options on day two (2nd and 3rd rounds)

You’re right. There will be. Hopefully we take one even after we use our first rounder on a receiver. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.