Can Khalil Shakir be WR2 next season?

Shakir has come on over the second half of the season as Allen has seemingly grown more comfortable throwing him the ball.  He has made some drive saving, and by extension, game saving receptions.  He seems to get the ball in his hands and head straight up the field for YAC instead of dancing around.  He runs crisp routes.  He seems to have worked through his yips/drops issue and has been sure handed.  

He only had 8 receptions and 105 receiving yards through Week 7 of this season.  At the end of Week 17, with the bye week in there, he is now sitting at 33 receptions on 39 targets and 506 receiving yards.  He is averaging a gaudy 15.3 yards per reception.

If he is made a bigger part of the passing offense and gets more targets, can he continue this upwards trajectory?  If Gabe is too pricey to come back as the #2 next year, or if Beane and Brady simply want to move on from Gabe or open up competition for the role, does Shakir have the ability to leave the slot and move into that WR2 position?   

The prevailing wisdom is that Beane will draft a solid WR prospect and sign a veteran free agent WR to come in and compete for the #2 spot.  I would have no problem with that plan and then have a camp battle between the new guys, possibly Gabe, and Shakir for the WR2 role.

The question is what are the odds this is a situation like the recent MLB transition (Edmunds/Bernard) where Gabe's replacement is already on the roster in Shakir? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

If he beats out >insert rookie name here< I guess.

He definitely needs to be more of a part of the offense, Kincaid as well for that matter, what a relief it was to see him get a deep ball.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shakir will get a fair shake for #2 WR (or at least second most targeted).

I don’t think we are drafting WR in the first round with the holes on the defense. I also don’t think we are going to be making a big FA signing with the lack of cap space (probably no Higgins, Evans, Ridley or Pittman Jr).

So in summary, I hope we can land someone good in the 2nd/3rd round, or maybe get a dark horse FA signing that outperforms their contract (OBJ?, Boyd?, someone with speed?). These are the types of guys he’ll probably be competing with.

Edited by DapperCam
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

44 minutes ago, Governor said:

We need to draft a #1. Maybe we could get another year from Diggs as a #2.

There are a lot of good WR in the draft. No excuses this time, Beane has to draft a WR in the first round. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Hope so. Hoping he, Kincaid and a rookie or two can step up and we can kick Harty/Sherfield to the curb. Can only assume Gabe is also gone.

Gabe, Harty & Sherfield will 100% be gone. Two terrible pick ups and an uninspiring WR2 wannabe.  Next season might be Diggs last in Buffalo.  That leaves Shakir, Kincaid and whatever we have in Shorter?  I've said we desperately need to draft 2-3 wrs this April.  Starting with either Odunze or Coleman. I'm not a fan of spending big FA $ on Higgins or Evans. So we gotta find weapons in the draft. And stop wasting time, snaps and money on fails like Sherfield,  Harty & Hines. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

There are a lot of good WR in the draft. No excuses this time, Beane has to draft a WR in the first round. 

If there are a lot of good WR in the draft then couldn't we draft them on the 2nd day ?

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Gabe, Harty & Sherfield will 100% be gone. Two terrible pick ups and an uninspiring WR2 wannabe.  Next season might be Diggs last in Buffalo.  That leaves Shakir, Kincaid and whatever we have in Shorter?  I've said we desperately need to draft 2-3 wrs this April.  Starting with either Odunze or Coleman. I'm not a fan of spending big FA $ on Higgins or Evans. So we gotta find weapons in the draft. And stop wasting time, snaps and money on fails like Sherfield,  Harty & Hines. 

100% agree

23 minutes ago, wppete said:

Only thing that makes me nervous is Beane hasn’t proven to be the best WR talent evaluator. Maybe it’s not all on him and it’s highly possible our carousel of coordinators have been less than stellar in their passing game concepts as well, but outside of grabbing an established talent in Diggs his track record at the position isn’t exactly inspiring 

Edited by Kincaid Kool-Aid

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

If there are a lot of good WR in the draft then couldn't we draft them on the 2nd day ?

I think we will see 5-6 WRs go in the first round. WR is top heavy this year with elite talent. 

Cincinnati showed the advantage of having 3 legit receiving options.  There just aren't enough great DBs on one defense to cover them all.  It definitely provides a strategic advantage. 

We seem to have found an O-line this year, we already have the QB, the receiving RB in Cooks, and Kincaid who looks like he can be a top 5 TE.  If we can juice the WR position next season the Bills could field a juggernaut of an offense in 2024.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

No… and we aren’t getting Tee Higgins in FA either 

11 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Diggs is barely a #1 anymore.  Ideally we draft someone to take over #1 from diggs. Diggs becomes the #2 later in the season and Shakir is the #3/slot guy.  

Still owe Diggs lots of $$$$$

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.