Can Khalil Shakir be WR2 next season?

I think he can grow into a good slot guy but the Bills will need to try to find a higher end outside WR2 guy.  Shakir is more a technician without any special traits like size/speed/separation ability, he is a guy we want around but not a 1 or 2.

55 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

We’ve done that in the past and ended up with 3rd receivers at best. Why wait and take guys other teams didn’t want instead of taking more talented guy in rd 1? 

Our only DE signed next year are Baby Groot, Von “Healthy Scratch” Miller, and Kingsley “Not on the game day roster” Jonathan. The only DT signed is Ed Oliver.

That is 2 starters on the defensive line by my count when we need 7 or 8. We don’t have the cap to fill in the line in FA, it’s going to be done via the draft and probably round 1 for edge rusher.

Not to mention Poyer, Hyde and Rapp very well may be all gone. That leaves us with zero safeties.

Maybe,  but he hasn't shown nearly enough yet for me to be comfortable handing him the job,  and Harty and Sherfield shouldn't be on the roster next year.  All else being equal,  I would definitely be taking a WR in R1 and probably another one in the mid rounds.  

Shakir seems to excel in the slot. Ideally, we're able to draft a WR in the first couple of rounds that can start from day 1 and Shakir stays in that #3 role. 

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I want WR in Round 1  AND Round 2

Diggs

Rookie
Shakir

Rookie

They just need to scout well. LA pulled Puka in the 4th.  He should be NFC  ROY.  We have to take multiple shots, but the first two rounds is not logical given the defensive needs.

1 minute ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

They just need to scout well. LA pulled Puka in the 4th.  He should be NFC  ROY.  We have to take multiple shots, but the first two rounds is not logical given the defensive needs.

Not logical? This team has a massive need for young offensive weapons.   Kincaid was a decent start.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

WR 1 is the problem right now...

As is QB1

Who would have thought we'd be sitting here with a top defense, highly graded Oline, effective run game, and our one concern with this team would be the passing offense...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

As is QB1

Who would have thought we'd be sitting here with a top defense, highly graded Oline, effective run game, and our one concern with this team would be the passing offense...

That changes this week.

Allen:  385 and 4TDs

Diggs:  12 for 177 and 2TDs 

BOOK IT BABY!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

We MUST add a playmaker to the passing game. Preferably someone with speed and can make contested catches. 

WR, Safety and DL are 2024 priorities.

We were told Harty was going to be the player that brought speed to the WR room but that hasn’t played out for a number of reasons. I really dont understand why they don’t use him more on underneath crossing routes that give a potential for YAC.

Edited by TFBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

The Bills are in big trouble if their plan is to try and make Shakir a number 2 receiver.

A first or second round pick must be spent on a wide out this upcoming draft, and he needs to have speed

No.  Money needs to be spent on a quality #2 receiver.  We're too far into this version of the team to be spending picks on "possible" WR2s.  Unless Marvin Harrison Jr. falls into their laps, they need to find a way to find some money to bring in a true WR2 this offseason.  It'll have the added benefit of showing Diggs that they are serious about winning and taking pressure off him so he can perform better.

8 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Bills have to draft 2 WRs next draft imo. They need someone to step into a #2 role right away and another WR that can step in for injuries and perhaps replace Diggs after next year.

I still need to know what's going on with Diggs. Is he hurt? Is it scheme? Is he dogging it because he wants out? I'll tell you that he gets up to play Ramsey so we'll see. 

I keep thinking I'm on crazy pills because I saw a tweet that was quickly deleted from one of the Bills beat writers remarking how "amazing that Diggs catch was considering the condition of his shoulder".  I think the team is covering up a Diggs injury that he's playing through because, like Tyreek Hill, he's still a very effective decoy if he's on the field.

3 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

No.  Money needs to be spent on a quality #2 receiver.  We're too far into this version of the team to be spending picks on "possible" WR2s.  Unless Marvin Harrison Jr. falls into their laps, they need to find a way to find some money to bring in a true WR2 this offseason.  It'll have the added benefit of showing Diggs that they are serious about winning and taking pressure off him so he can perform better.

I keep thinking I'm on crazy pills because I saw a tweet that was quickly deleted from one of the Bills beat writers remarking how "amazing that Diggs catch was considering the condition of his shoulder".  I think the team is covering up a Diggs injury that he's playing through because, like Tyreek Hill, he's still a very effective decoy if he's on the field.

The team can't afford to pay a second receiver big money 

They will have to go the draft route

It could end up that way, but it would not be ideal, we need to draft and sign 2 WRs this upcoming draft/FA , keep Shakir as a 3 / slot. The WR position needs a talent influx, we also need our OC to integrate WRs, TEs and RBs into a smoothly functioning pass game, without nullifying the run game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.