Is Brady coaching for his job?

whorlnut

Personally he is coaching for his job, but I will say that if the bills could land a young bright offensive mind Im okay with them moving on as well...  all the years of not addressing the offense is getting old, time to influx some talent there now...  outside WR, slot WR, OL, Backup QB.  if diggs doesn't have a good game against maimi I think it a tell tale sign that Brady is not the guy, you can't have your #1 WR bottled up for this many weeks in a row, it time to start scheming to get the guy the ball early and often. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Based on what?

Somehow coordinated an offense that made Wentz an MVP candidate and won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles.  Those two things alone are a miracle.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have zero college football affiliation and I wouldn't hire Lane Kiffin. I just don't think he has the character to be an NFL Head Coach. I think he understands the Xs and Os well enough. I don't think he understands people well enough.

71912720007-usatsi-9862536.jpg

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Somehow coordinated an offense that made Wentz an MVP candidate and won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles.  Those two things alone are a miracle.

But he didn't call plays. And the idea that he was somehow still the secret sauce in the recipe with Wentz which was kind of floated around the time the Pederson - Wentz thing imploded rather saw its credibility trashed by Wentz's performance in Frank's offense with Frank's playcalling in Indy.

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We lost to Russ, Wilson and Mac Jones with Kenny boy.  Try again.

I actually didn't use the Chargers game as an example, because we didn't win the ToP battle in that game.  You missed me calling it the exception in your haste to come up with some straw to grasp lmao.

Enjoy the ride. #2 seed and McD is coach for life.

What? 

I was referring to the games we won that you ascribe "complimentary football" to for our wins under Brady.  

Three of those 5 wins were against teams QB'd by Zach Wilson, Shtick, and Zappe.  That's a fact.  

You seem to be dismissing the notion that it shouldn't take much more than an average, if even that, to beat any of those teams.  Hence, perhaps why they've lost an average of 11 games.  

Again, call me crazy.  Either way, is this that important to you?  I'm truly not sure what you're arguing at this point.  

6 hours ago, whorlnut said:

But here’s the argument…Allen was having a really good statistical year with Dorsey and Diggs was on fire. Allen may have had some turnovers, but his completion % was tops in the league. Now it looks like he is back to rookie year Josh. The common denominator seems to be the ocs. 

Ah....Look at the 5 game stretch starting with the Giants and ending with NE.  The Bills went 2-3 in that stretch, including 3 games where we failed to score more than the league average # of points.  Allen threw <180 yds passing (twice), 2 INT (once). 

Now you might not want to lay that all at Dorsey's door - fact is, Allen injured his shoulder in the Giants game and was limited in practice with it for the next week (NWE), practiced in full before Tampa where he had a 300+ yd passing game, then actually DNP one day before Cincy, then had a low-yardage passing game vs Denver. 

As for Diggs, he had 100 yd passing game vs. the Giants, but then his productivity fell quite a bit 3 of the following 4 games, while Dorsey was still OC.

Let's not pretend that Allen was having a great statistical stretch and Diggs was "on fire" until Brady took over.  It's not the case. 

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ah....Look at the 5 game stretch starting with the Giants and ending with NE.  The Bills went 2-3 in that stretch, including 3 games where we failed to score more than the league average # of points.  Allen threw <180 yds passing (twice), 2 INT (once). 

Now you might not want to lay that all at Dorsey's door - fact is, Allen injured his shoulder in the Giants game and was limited in practice with it for the next week (NWE), practiced in full before Tampa where he had a 300+ yd passing game, then actually DNP one day before Cincy, then had a low-yardage passing game vs Denver. 

As for Diggs, he had 100 yd passing game vs. the Giants, but then his productivity fell quite a bit 3 of the following 4 games, while Dorsey was still OC.

Let's not pretend that Allen was having a great statistical stretch and Diggs was "on fire" until Brady took over.  It's not the case. 

Cool

I think he's always been playing for it.  We were hoping for "better then Dorsey", and I believe we have it, but that's just an end-of-season goal.

I wasn't ready to give him the keys right away, even after the quick start.  He has been, and should continue to be evaluated.

Ironically, our offensive output dropped hard the moment we got Knox back.  Anyone else notice this?  When Brady's gameplans involved Kincaid as the sole TE, they were lighting it up.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But he didn't call plays. And the idea that he was somehow still the secret sauce in the recipe with Wentz which was kind of floated around the time the Pederson - Wentz thing imploded rather saw its credibility trashed by Wentz's performance in Frank's offense with Frank's playcalling in Indy.

I know he didn't call plays but the offense (and Wentz) regressed when he left.  I don't know the true dynamic of how him being their impacted their relationship.  Jumping from offensive coordinator to head coach allows you to put less of an emphasis on the personal relationship with the quarterback as far as Reich's time in Indy went.

I think with his experience and calming influence he'd be a good candidate for a QB coach with a QB wired like Josh.

8 hours ago, Rubes said:

Brady has always been coaching for his job. He's interim, its not like he's assured the spot for next year. He knows he has to produce every week.

I can say with confidence that this is NOT exactly what McDermott wants. I'm sure he would like a run-heavy offense like we saw against Dallas, but not what we've seen the last couple of weeks. If he wants a run-heavy offense, it's to take the pressure off of Allen and allow him to use play action better and to be more productive with the receivers when he does throw. We're not seeing that, at least not yet. I can't imagine this is what McDermott wants...he wants this, but with a better, more opportunistic passing game.

It's kinda hard to use play action when you're constantly in shotgun. It's staggering how little we use play action. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Allen was having a great statistical year as was Diggs until Brady took over

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Go look up the games between the Giants and Denver.

It’s pretty hard to argue that there was a cliff after the Denver game

Just now, Beck Water said:

Go look up the games between the Giants and Denver.

It’s pretty hard to argue that there was a cliff after the Denver game

I don't think there's much sense in only looking at their worst games

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I don't think there's much sense in only looking at their worst games

There is if you want to make an argument that Allen and Diggs were doing great statistically until Dorsey got fired and Brady took over.

The point is that the statistics fell off before the Dorsey/Brady swap

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

There is if you want to make an argument that Allen and Diggs were doing great statistically until Dorsey got fired and Brady took over.

The point is that the statistics fell off before the Dorsey/Brady swap

It's inarguable that they were better under Dorsey

The best you can say is that Brady was able to prolong the slump😂😂

9 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Considering the Bills have always been effective on offense against Miami no matter the year or coordinator, and considering Miami does not have Jaelen Phillips or Bradley Chubb, I would probably agree with this. If the Bills offense is sputtering against Miami, and especially if we end up losing, I can’t imagine Brady is back next season as OC.

I personally think our offense will come to play though.  The thing is too, a lot of this falls on Josh Allen and his receivers.  There is a combination of bad drops by receivers  and bad misses by Allen lately, and that can’t happen on Sunday night.  Especially in a game where we may HAVE to get off to a fast start like the last time we faced Miami.

that is where I am mostly concerned. This offense is back to getting off to slow starts which cannot happen this week.

I agree,  outside of Philly game their has not been much. 

Maybe I'm all wrong, I don't know, but I believe that Josh would be the best, most-productive QB in the NFL with the right OC.

I think a good OC would do a better job scheming guys open.  I also believe a good OC would coach Josh to get the ball out on schedule more often and make better decisions.  And maybe study film harder. 

I can't empirically back up any of this.  I don't know what's happening behind the curtain.  But that's my hunch.  

And it doesn't seem, thus far, that Brady's the guy.  

13 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Too much into trying to run the ball and is contributing to slow starts,  this week has to be about throwing the football and Diggs involved. We hated playing Tom Brady because they killed us passing the football,  we don't have Tyrod Taylor we have a top 3-4 QB. Stop with those stupid screen passes and get the forward passing game going.  This is the week to do it and if he fails then you replace him.

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

If we win Sunday, Brady stays.

if we win, Bills advance, Brady stays, Diggs has his best game in weeks

if we lose, Bills miss playoffs, Brady is gone, Diggs has his annual year end sideline meltdown

book it

15 hours ago, Rubes said:

Brady has always been coaching for his job. He's interim, its not like he's assured the spot for next year. He knows he has to produce every week.

I can say with confidence that this is NOT exactly what McDermott wants. I'm sure he would like a run-heavy offense like we saw against Dallas, but not what we've seen the last couple of weeks. If he wants a run-heavy offense, it's to take the pressure off of Allen and allow him to use play action better and to be more productive with the receivers when he does throw. We're not seeing that, at least not yet. I can't imagine this is what McDermott wants...he wants this, but with a better, more opportunistic passing game.

I don't think it's about "run heavy".

It's that McD wants both the run game and pass game clicking.

Dorsey was absolutely clueless. He didn't see the importance of a run game (see playoff game against the Bengals in the snow). Dorsey should have been fired after the Bengals playoff game, but it's hard to fire the OC when the offense ranks highly in many categories. But that was a mirage. McD's mistake was not firing Dorsey sooner, or even hiring him in the first place.

It wasn't sustainable for Allen to be throwing 60 times a game from the shotgun every week, which is all Dorsey ever had in mind. How many attempts did Lamar Jackson have last week???  He was 18 of 21! 21!!!

Brady is trying for more balance, which is needed because it's more sustainable.

Allen was a few close completions away from having a solid game in the last two weeks. He missed some throws. Pitchers don't always have shutouts. Let's see how he does next week with it all on the line.

Hopefully Brady and Allen get it figured out together and they make a deep run.

If the Bills get to the AFC Championship, Brady keeps his job.

Short of that, show me Frank Reich for OC.

• Agree 1

I think Brady has done enough given what he has inherited to be given heavy consideration for the OC position next year the one place the team could definitely do much better as far as coaching is ST's they have been very mediocre to say the least !

After that opening TD by the Pats if i were McD I'd be chewing somebody out for sure and let the ST coordinator know that he's coaching of this job !!

McD failed in hiring Dorsey and our special teams coach has already cost us two games (Jets and Denver) and almost cost us the New England game by electing to gamble a chance at maybe getting 5 yards on the kickoff tackle vs the risk of having a kickoff return for a TD which almost cost us our season.

Sean cannot afford to fail again with the OC for next year, and it's very likely NOT going to be the guy who happened to be the QB coach when McD's original choice failed.  They need to do an exhaustive search and interview a dozen top OC candidates regardless of what happens in the offseason.

In fairness Josh and Joe, our best two options right now in terms of Go To guys are Kincaid and Shakir, a 2nd year guy and a rookie with about 100 targets total between them.  Diggs and Knox are in massive slumps, our two highest paid targets by a lot.  I can't help but think Beane is kicking himself for not pulling the trigger on DHop.    Next year is going to look different for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, FireChans said:

We used to have a passing offense that struggled without a running game.

At least the running game works now. 

I don’t buy this is what McD wants. McD wants a 21 point lead lol.

I also don't buy the narrative that McD wants to grind out 3 point wins with ball control and power run.  The whole construction of this roster is to strike fast, play with a lead, and rush the passer.  

• Agree 1

I always viewed Brady as a guy who has a 7 + game opportunity to show what's he got as an OC.  They are 5 - 1, the passing game is not great but the offense in general seems better.  Not sure if Brady is that much better than Dorsey or if Dorsey was truly bad.  I'm on the fence with Brady right now.

Edited by juno999

22 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

If the offense looks good in the playoffs, keep Brady. If we fall short with the offense still looking average, maybe it’s time for a fresh prospective. He’s done a lot of good things, but this offense struggles mightily without Diggs being elite every game. The Dallas game where Cook went crazy was the exception with someone unexpected stepping up. I don’t think you can replace the elite version of Diggs, but I’m not fully satisfied with how Brady makes use of the roster. I have yet to see Brady or Dorsey use Shakir and Kincaid the way they should be utilized. Allen is elite, we need to put him and his teammates in better positions to succeed. 

Diggs is not dominant now.  Whether he is next year remains to be seen.  WR is a young man's position now.  He can be a good possession receiver for us the rest of the year, and hopefully next year as well.  We need to scheme the offense through Shakir and Kincaid and make good use of our RB's not named Latavious Murray.  Hopefully Diggs makes some solid plays when his number is called.  And the same for Davis.  But this is not the same Diggs of his first 3 and a half years playing for us.  The coaches need to know that.  And scheme accordingly.  I would also play Shorter this week, and sit Sherfield.  Guy looks like he has no idea what route he is supposed to run.  How we play this Sunday and hopefully in the playoffs on offense should be a big determining factor on whether Brady returns or not.  Coaching is obviously important.  But you can only do so much with the talent on the roster.   

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.