Dallas @ Buffalo Postgame Thread

HappyDays

1 minute ago, Logic said:

As someone who recently and repeatedly stated that I'm ready to see the Bills move on from Sean McDermott, it seems only fair for me to say this:

The team has very clearly not quit on Sean McDermott. They are not in any way acting or playing like a team who doesn't like their head coach or who want a change. If anything, the Dunne article seems to have united the team and provided an "us against the world" rallying cry.

Furthermore, yesterday's game was a "Sean McDermott's perfect ideal of what football should look like" game if ever I saw one. Masterful defense, the offense imposing their well, and physicality across the board. Very, very impressive.

The thing that stood out to me on TV is that you could SEE how hard the Bills were playing. The defense was absolutely flying around, hitting hard, popping pads, and playing MEAN and with swagger. The offense was physical and relentless. The whole team LOOKED like it was playing playoff football, whereas the Cowboys absolutely did not.

For the defense to play as well as it did, missing as many key players as it is, against such a great offense, was MASSIVELY impressive. For the offense to impose its will and dominate physically the way it did, just running the ball over and over and over, was also massively impressive, both from a physical standpoint and from a "Joe Brady is just gonna keep doing the simple and obvious thing until you stop it" tactical standpoint.

Yesterday was the most thorough, impressive, across-the-board win I've seen from the Bills in quite some time. Great jobs from both offensive and defensive coaching. Great jobs from both lines of scrimmage. Great jobs by the players in executing. Just a no-doubt-about-it 60 minute ass whoopin. 

What else can I say? Give Brady his flowers. Give McDermott his flowers. Give Cook and the o-line their flowers. Masterful, impressive, awesome win. GO BILLS!!!

This post says it all but I came online to this thread to say just this one thing.

Today a Great Victory Monday after witnessing what we did yesterday is like the cigarette after great sex. It is delicious.  And is making me really excited for the future

Rawrrr

GO BILLS!~!~!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, muppy said:

This post says it all but I came online to this thread to say just this one thing.

Today a Great Victory Monday after witnessing what we did yesterday is like the cigarette after great sex. It is delicious.  And is making me really excited for the future

Rawrrr

GO BILLS!~!~!!!

tumblr_oesbvir0Lg1rp66ruo1_500.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

For myself, my highlights of the Game were these:

1. The Bills played so well, that they took the opportunity of game turning decisions away from McDermott.

2. Offensive Discipline, not one offensive holding penalty.

3. Aggressive play of the defensive players as individuals and team defense.

4. The mauling our offensive line against the D-Line, and  grouping blocks after the 1st tier was passed 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

As someone who recently and repeatedly stated that I'm ready to see the Bills move on from Sean McDermott, it seems only fair for me to say this:

The team has very clearly not quit on Sean McDermott. They are not in any way acting or playing like a team who doesn't like their head coach or who want a change. If anything, the Dunne article seems to have united the team and provided an "us against the world" rallying cry.

Furthermore, yesterday's game was a "Sean McDermott's perfect ideal of what football should look like" game if ever I saw one. Masterful defense, the offense imposing their well, and physicality across the board. Very, very impressive.

The thing that stood out to me on TV is that you could SEE how hard the Bills were playing. The defense was absolutely flying around, hitting hard, popping pads, and playing MEAN and with swagger. The offense was physical and relentless. The whole team LOOKED like it was playing playoff football, whereas the Cowboys absolutely did not.

For the defense to play as well as it did, missing as many key players as it is, against such a great offense, was MASSIVELY impressive. For the offense to impose its will and dominate physically the way it did, just running the ball over and over and over, was also massively impressive, both from a physical standpoint and from a "Joe Brady is just gonna keep doing the simple and obvious thing until you stop it" tactical standpoint.

Yesterday was the most thorough, impressive, across-the-board win I've seen from the Bills in quite some time. Great jobs from both offensive and defensive coaching. Great jobs from both lines of scrimmage. Great jobs by the players in executing. Just a no-doubt-about-it 60 minute ass whoopin. 

What else can I say? Give Brady his flowers. Give McDermott his flowers. Give Cook and the o-line their flowers. Masterful, impressive, awesome win. GO BILLS!!!

Nice post and good observations. Agreed with much of it. We saw very hard hitting Bills team (especially in the trenches on both sides) out there.

As we were walking back to our car after the game, we had the post game show streaming on my phone and the first thing we heard from the host "Bulldog" was that it was not a particularly out of the ordinary game from a physical sense... I think the post-game show needs a new host. Just wow! Sucks that we are forced to listen to that if we want to hear the post-game press conferences right away.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

lets not throw a parade just yet. We are half a Kadarius Toney cleat away from thinking about golf season

anyway Bills usually play good at home and Dallas usually chokes in December. It wasn't a surprising outcome 

Half a cleat? More like half a body. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

By the way, as i mentioned in the pregame thread, the refs have put their whistles away on Buffalo.  The NFL wants Buffalo in these playoffs.  The league is an entertainment show, they want the best players and teams in it.  Sure, they will have to call obvious procedural stuff, but they aren't flagging the dumb nitpicky judgement calls the past couple weeks and I expect that positive trend to continue through the end of the season.

Are these 'Angels in the Outfield' rules?? Or can they help us in the championship too?

23 minutes ago, Stenbar said:

For myself, my highlights of the Game were these:

1. The Bills played so well, that they took the opportunity of game turning decisions away from McDermott.

2. Offensive Discipline, not one offensive holding penalty.

3. Aggressive play of the defensive players as individuals and team defense.

4. The mauling our offensive line against the D-Line, and  grouping blocks after the 1st tier was passed 

Of course Sean had nothing to do with winning yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

lets not throw a parade just yet. We are half a Kadarius Toney cleat away from thinking about golf season

anyway Bills usually play good at home and Dallas usually chokes in December. It wasn't a surprising outcome 

It goes both ways.

We're a 12th man away from being 9-5. We're a missed 59 yard field goal in the rain away from being 10-4. We're probably one interception away from beating the Jets on opening night.

You are what your record says you are. The calls and the luck of the football bounce both ways. Every team in the NFL can play the "what if" game.

The Bills are 8-6 and have a realistic shot at the postseason. They recently almost beat the Eagles in Philly, they beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead, and they DESTROYED the hottest team in the league yesterday.

Let people be excited.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

By the way, as i mentioned in the pregame thread, the refs have put their whistles away on Buffalo.  The NFL wants Buffalo in these playoffs.  The league is an entertainment show, they want the best players and teams in it.  Sure, they will have to call obvious procedural stuff, but they aren't flagging the dumb nitpicky judgement calls the past couple weeks and I expect that positive trend to continue through the end of the season.

I mean I don't want to agree with the possibility, also the Eagles game makes it seem absurd though maybe they hadn't bought the turnaround yet, but the AFC feels ***** dead, do you really want all these bums in there and not us. Bills are the most exciting team left in the AFC whether it's through injuries or teams like the Chiefs having a down year, it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Right but like I said before…that scenario where we miss requires picking the winner of like 15 individual games perfectly to keep us out at 11 wins…if any single individual game goes our way, the bills cannot miss at 11 wins.  ‘They still might not make it’ is technically correct but incredibly misleading if you don’t add that the ‘might not’ is astronomically small odds 

just the Miami beating Dallas and Baltimore and cincy beating kc portion is very unlikely.  Then you pile on top of that the ravens losing out, cincy winning out, Indy winning out, jax winning out, Cleveland winning 2 but they have to be a specific 2, I’m probably still even missing a few things but it’s still extremely extremely unlikely 

we are all but in at 11 wins right now.  Saying things like ‘we need help still to make it in with 11 wins’ is pretty disingenuous.  We would need more negative help than anyone has ever gotten to not make it 😂

if these teams you’re talking about winning out were all huge favorites every game it would still be a long shot but a little more reasonable to at least understand where you’re coming from..  But with backup qbs and such they are probably no better than 55ish percent chance of winning any individual game.  The odds of just 5 games like that all going against you are about 5% let alone how many there would actually be.  Were talking like 1/5000 chance or more but they’re just gonna round it down to 99.9% chance we make it.

Lol, never said that, so stop lying, however It's highly likely it won't, but could this not happen? It's just one of many scenarios, whether you like it or not or just can't deal with facts, there is nothing "disingenuous" about it. Nobody thought .13 seconds could happen either.

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

It goes both ways.

We're a 12th man away from being 9-5. We're a missed 59 yard field goal in the rain away from being 10-4. We're probably one interception away from beating the Jets on opening night.

You are what your record says you are. The calls and the luck of the football bounce both ways. Every team in the NFL can play the "what if" game.

The Bills are 8-6 and have a realistic shot at the postseason. They recently almost beat the Eagles in Philly, they beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead, and they DESTROYED the hottest team in the league yesterday.

Let people be excited.

Perfect response, and you beat me to it!  The coulda shoulda woulda stuff cuts both ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JMM said:

OJ was strictly a runner

This ignores the facts.  First, NFL teams didn't throw to backs in the early 70s.  Still, in about half as many games, Simpson had half as many receptions as Marcus Allen, perhaps the first great pass catching receiver who played a decade after Simpson.  

Simpson averaged more yards per reception than either Allen or Thomas. He also averaged more touchdowns per reception. 

Simpson was not "strictly a runner."  He was a deadly receiver 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean I don't want to agree with the possibility, also the Eagles game makes it seem absurd though maybe they hadn't bought the turnaround yet, but the AFC feels ***** dead, do you really want all these bums in there and not us. Bills are the most exciting team left in the AFC whether it's through injuries or teams like the Chiefs having a down year, it is what it is.

I know everyone keeps saying this but the bengals look damn good to me.

No one will want to deal with Josh Allen and this running game if they get in but I think that is true of the Bengals right now also.  The Bengals and Bills over the past month have looked better than any of the division leaders sans maybe baltimore.  

I am just worried about the chargers game and nothing else at the moment.  Yesterday coupled with the win at KC was just a great 7 days.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

Lol, never said that, so stop lying, however It's highly likely it won't, but could this not happen? It's just one of many scenarios, whether you like it or not or just can't deal with facts, there is nothing "disingenuous" about it. Nobody thought .13 seconds could happen either.

Lying? lol  you said we can win 11 and miss…quite a few posters have said we need help.  Neither of those statements paint anywhere near a complete picture of how much of an absolute fluke it would be if we win 11 and miss is all I was saying. Someone reading that would think we need to win 11 and get lucky to get in when in reality it’s so much of a near impossibility that some places are saying we’re in if we win out already 😂

13 seconds was much much more likely to occur than us missing the playoffs with 11 wins…chiefs had a 3% chance to win in that situation.  This is being rounded down at calling it a 99.9% chance because they don’t go to a hundredths decimal place but even if it was just a 99.9% chance it would be 30 times as unlikely as ‘13 seconds’ for us to not get in 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It feels like the disguised zone/late rotation into a different look really stumps a lot of qbs and quite a few ‘good’ ones.  

It felt like Dak was just deciding what his progressions were gonna be early on presnap and he stuck to it despite the defense clearly shifting into a different coverage.  Tua has felt the same against us

So one of the graphics media analysts were dropping pre-game was how Dak was rocking an incredibly short time to throw, and releasing the ball essentially as soon as he hits the top of his drop.

Great, but that means he's either got a 2x speed processor in his brain, or he is in fact reading the coverage and making some of his decisions pre-snap.

I think all QB do this to some extent, it's part of the chess match.  But if the defense counters successfully with disguised coverage, then it's time for adjustments.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

Regarding Cowboys/Dolphins.

Cowboys are 3-4 on the road (wins over Giants, Chargers and Panthers)(loses to Eagles, 49ers, Cardinals and Bills)

Dolphins are 6-1 at home (wins over Jets, Raiders, Panthers, Giants, Broncos, Pats)( loss to Titans)

on paper neither teams W column actually looks good, but the Cowboys L's you can understand (outside of the Cardinals). The Dolphins are the betting favorite at I believe -125 vs Cowboys +105.

for some reason I sort of find the bookies to be crazy here putting the Cowboys as the dogs. Thoughts? Does the Dolphins 6-1 Record bother anyone with the Bills coming in for such an important game in Miami?

Edited by Gman10

16 minutes ago, Gman10 said:

Regarding Cowboys/Dolphins.

Cowboys are 3-4 on the road (wins over Giants, Chargers and Panthers)(loses to Eagles, 49ers, Cardinals and Bills)

Dolphins are 6-1 at home (wins over Jets, Raiders, Panthers, Giants, Broncos, Pats)( loss to Titans)

on paper neither teams W column actually looks good, but the Cowboys L's you can understand (outside of the Cardinals). The Dolphins are the betting favorite at I believe -125 vs Cowboys +105.

for some reason I sort of find the bookies to be crazy here putting the Cowboys as the dogs. Thoughts? Does the Dolphins 6-1 Record bother anyone with the Bills coming in for such an important game in Miami?

No not at all. Buffalo matches up well with Miami. Do I expect a tough game. Absolutely but it is a game the Bills can definitely win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

One of, if not the, best game I’ve been fortunate to attend as a Bills fan.

Too bad because all 4th quarter the only thing you could hear was Bills fans arguing amongst themselves - “Best since OJ!” & “No, best since Thurman!”

Please allow me to settle it.

Thurman = best since OJ, with apologies to Joe Cribbs

Cook = best since Thurman, with apologies to Fred Jackson and Shady McCoy

• Like (+1) 5

31 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

No one will want to deal with Josh Allen and this running game if they get in but I think that is true of the Bengals right now also.  The Bengals and Bills over the past month have looked better than any of the division leaders sans maybe baltimore.  

I am just worried about the chargers game and nothing else at the moment.  Yesterday coupled with the win at KC was just a great 7 days.

Give it another game or two.  Browning will come back to earth once DC's have enough tape. He is in his "Mike White" stage right now until teams force him to do things he isn't good at when he will be exposed. Might come against the Steelers. Bengals lose to them all the time with Burrow at QB let alone Browning.

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

McD figured out how to scheme around missing a really great player from all 3 levels.  That is great coaching.

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

McD figured out how to scheme around missing a really great player from all 3 levels.  That is great coaching.

Getting a solid DT and quality CB to replace a couple of those has helped significantly.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Brit said:

Getting a solid DT and quality CB to replace a couple of those has helped significantly.

And great identifying what you need and a GM willing to go get it.  

Almost criminal level of theft they got a perfect scheme fit in Douglas for a mid round pick. I told people we were going to love him and he has not disappointed at all.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

My buddy had said this to me last night, he hasn't seen running like that since the Thurman days

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

That team feels like a bloated corpse somehow being dragged across the finish line despite any sort of reasonable sane thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That stretch post jags game and pre Douglas and Joseph arriving was really a killer this year.  There’s just no way we lose the jags or pats game without that avalanche of injuries

i get the every team has injuries thing but the injuries found our most important players on defense pretty much in order 😂

39 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So one of the graphics media analysts were dropping pre-game was how Dak was rocking an incredibly short time to throw, and releasing the ball essentially as soon as he hits the top of his drop.

Great, but that means he's either got a 2x speed processor in his brain, or he is in fact reading the coverage and making some of his decisions pre-snap.

I think all QB do this to some extent, it's part of the chess match.  But if the defense counters successfully with disguised coverage, then it's time for adjustments.

That definitely feels like it applies to Miami too…that one game the Miami offense really hurt us we were getting gashed on the ground and tua didn’t have to do too much 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

This ignores the facts.  First, NFL teams didn't throw to backs in the early 70s.  Still, in about half as many games, Simpson had half as many receptions as Marcus Allen, perhaps the first great pass catching receiver who played a decade after Simpson.  

Simpson averaged more yards per reception than either Allen or Thomas. He also averaged more touchdowns per reception. 

An underutilized and deadly receiver.   OJ in the open field made defenders crap their pants.  They should have thrown to him more.  

He also excelled as a return man.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That stretch post jags game and pre Douglas and Joseph arriving was really a killer this year.  There’s just no way we lose the jags or pats game without that avalanche of injuries

i get the every team has injuries thing but the injuries found our most important players on defense pretty much in order 😂

That definitely feels like it applies to Miami too…that one game the Miami offense really hurt us we were getting gashed on the ground and tua didn’t have to do too much 

Yep. Best 1 tech DT gone, best LB gone, best CB gone. It is not wrong to say that hurt a ton in the short term. But the additions of Douglas and Joseph along with the unexpected turnaround by Dodson have more than helped to steady the ship.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. Best 1 tech DT gone, best LB gone, best CB gone. It is not wrong to say that hurt a ton in the short term. But the additions of Douglas and Joseph along with the unexpected turnaround by Dodson have more than helped to steady the ship.

I’d hold it against beane for waiting so long but I’m sure Joseph and the packers were trying to maximize value and weren’t gonna make any decisions long before the trade deadline 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Simpson was gracefully powerful with extra gears- he wouldn’t even appear to be accelerating but he would be putting space between himself and defenders. A top 5 back all-time IMO. Thurman had a supernatural ability to sense and utilize other players- and not just his own teammates- as blockers. His feet shuffled more than they chopped and he was an excellent back in his era. He just didn’t have the physical gifts of OJ., he was more of an instinct/intangibles back who was otherworldly at picking angles/position/speed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

Oh, my, Cincinnati.

So first of all, does Jake Browning (who?) putting up like 70% completion and close to (or better than) 300 ypg passing in like 3 of his 4 starts, make one think differently about Burrow and how much of the Bengals offensive success is actually resting on their system and their 3 great WR? 

I mean, here's this guy who's been playing "left bench" for 2 1/2 seasons with the Bengals after kicking around on the Vikes practice squad for 2 years, and he's lighting it up.  

I have no idea how we let Cincinnati beat us, unless the team just had collective PTSD from the Hamlin incident.

I expect them to walk over the Steelers, and can only hope that KC and the Browns give them Hella Fight.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Jimbo don't care (said in my best "Honey Badger" voice)

https://twitter.com/thegreat__4/status/1736540961977589889

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Of course Sean had nothing to do with winning yesterday. 

I guess didnt fully explain my thought on that point. He didnt have any game changing points of decisions to make during the game, as the team obliterated the cowboys. There were no challenges to blow, or timeouts that needed to be used ir not used during the game. He didnt have to choose between a prevent nothing defense on the last drive, or to go man to man and blitz the qb. We all know how those games end usually.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.