PFF indicating the Bills made a brilliant trade when they landed Rasul Douglas - PFF WAR

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think there are decent odds that we do that. Because of the trade, Douglas' last year of his contract is entirely non-guaranteed. The Bills have excellent leverage to actually decrease his cap hit next year by signing him to an extension.

I don't know if Tre is completely gone, but I think we need to accept that even if he makes it back next year he absolutely not be at 100% speed. Losing him is a real possibility and he'll be an effective #2 at least for another year.

much luv for Trey and I dont want to disagree

but..but..but...look at our cap next season, there has to be cuts and Trey could be on...as well do plan to play him at with his big cap at age 29 with achilles recovery over Benford ?  Elam and Jackson could be the backups...Treys cap does not fit him as backup IMHO

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The only way Tre is coming back next season is if he's released and comes back under a new contract that is all incentive laden.

We have an out on his contract after this year that we have to take. You can't continue to pay him the contract we signed him to before his injury in the state he is in now. Especially when we're massively over the cap.

Legally, we can't. (or at least there are some severe problems with it). 

Tre can't be cut until he passes a physical. Until then, he can only be released via injury settlement, which doesn't allow him to sign back with the same team until the next year (effectively).

So either

• He passes a physical and is good to go week 1 just for us to force him to sign a new contract that we have very little leverage on
  • He passes a physical week 1 and we just work him in knowing he's not at 100%
  • We place him on IR and pay him anyway to do nothing and hope he can be rotated in at some capacity during the season
  • We work an injury settlement, take $10 million in dead cap and $6 million in savings and make a roster hole that needs to be filled

These are not a load of great options.

3 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

much luv for Trey and I dont want to disagree

but..but..but...look at our cap next season, there has to be cuts and Trey could be on...as well do plan to play him at with his big cap at age 29 with achilles recovery over Benford ?  Elam and Jackson could be the backups...Treys cap does not fit him as backup IMHO

We really don't get much cap space for 2024 by cutting him. More than half his money would be dead cap.

Maybe we rip off the band aid, but it's cutting former Pro Bowl player or trading him on the cheap for very little immediate return without much in the pipeline. 

Maybe that's the best we can get, like I said there aren't really any *great* options but I am not saying he's done yet

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I don't need PFF to tell me that he's been a good pickup.

He has helped stabilize the defense, he's a perfect scheme fit and he should continue to be the starting DB for the Bills not just for the rest of this year but beyond.

Agreed. 

Based on performance, we got a steal too. I would have given up easily a second round pick, maybe even a first. He is playing like a first-round pick.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Unless I am wrong, the Bills do not get that much cap space for cutting him. From quick math, I think that the gains of even a half season injury settlement would effectively be swallowed by the looming dead cap. 

So, do we lose a veteran and open a hole for $10 of cap space in 2025? Or do we muddle and use him as depth in a platoon of Douglas, Benford and Elam?

Well 1st how long did he hold out....errr... wait past his dr. clearance to come back on his ACL?  This is worse for a DB who has to cut, drive etc.  I say move on and draft someone. 

3 minutes ago, realtruelove said:

Maybe I missed the explanation in a previous thread but I'm curious why Green Bay would be willing to part with a premier cornerback mid season.  Are they loaded with a talented young secondary? 

He wasn’t premier, and didn’t fit their timeline 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Douglas and Joseph acquisitions/signings were by far the best in seasons moves in the McD era. Joseph has helped plug the run defense up the middle that was massively lacking post Jones injury. Douglas has dramatically improved the corner play which took a hit in the wake of the Tre injury.

The defense still is missing Milano and Poyer/Hyde are a step slower but those two acquisitions have boosted the defense significantly.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Curious to see how he handled being matched up with Lamb this week.  He did great against Kelce in the first half last week, but then seemed to not cover him as much in the second half.  Not sure what that was about.

Lamb lines up in the slot a decent amount. I'd love to see Douglas shadow him wherever he goes, I don't want Taron going against him regularly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I wasn't necessarily high on this move at first, but in hindsight if this team makes the playoffs and goes on a run it will be looked at as a brilliant move by Beane.

Also think he's an upgrade over White who in all likelihood has played his last down for the Bills, and maybe the NFL period.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

In my mind, Green Bay's in Carolina...

There isn't a Green Bay but I came to find out in HS that there was a halfa-horse town called Green Sea around there.   Not near the sea and much more brown than green.   But Rasul's coverage has very reminiscent of the coverage by the "no-see-ums" in Green Sea.    

map_of_green_sea_sc.jpg

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This was a huge pick up that I didn’t really think much of at the time. Might’ve saved our season 

Also, the Bills traded a 3rd round pick for him......a pick they will get back as a comp pick for Edmunds.

A really good player, and a really smart use of a tradeable asset by Beane.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

No doubt PFF gets its fair share of skepticism here and it may well be deserved. However, they are helping to confirm what many Bills fans can see via eye tests.  They have stolen an excellent CB and who fits like a sleek glove into their scheme.  

All of you crazies that want to dismantle McBeanes are insane.   They are killing it.   Linval Joseph a good deal as well.   Having said all that, I was completely wrong regarding D Hop.  Man I wish we had THAT shiny object right about now !  Oh well, Beane can't win them all. 

• Haha (+1) 1

He's been a godsend. 

When the defense was reeling with injuries & the secondary was falling apart, he stepped in & has helped steady the ship. 

Living in the Dallas market, I've been jealous & irritated each week hearing about how elite Gilmore has been, and how the Cowboys only had to give up a 5th to get him. Then Douglas came along & soothed that pain. 

He's 4 years younger, has a lighter contract, and has stepped up in a huge way. Overall, I'd much rather have Douglas at this point in their careers, even if Gilmore is having great year.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Say it with me:

PFF IS TRASH

Again

PFF IS TRASH

Again

Instructions unclear. I am now paying $25 a month subscribed to PFF. Please send help.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.