Giant elephant in room. Beane

<bills4life>

Just now, Bagwell358 said:

He’s been bad. Really bad.

cap situation is a disaster, multiple day two picks are wasted and we are left with aging players at positions now costing us games.

he hit on Allen, made a nice trade for 14. 

what else?

The roster is pretty much a disaster.  So many huge cap hits that don't produce.  Old players with no replacement in line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

cap situation is a disaster, multiple day two picks are wasted and we are left with aging players at positions now costing us games.

what else?

He hasn’t been “really bad”.

He just has drafted a lot of “average to good” instead of “great to elite”.

44 draft picks and only 1 truly great player (Allen).

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bagwell358 said:

what else?

Well, let’s start with Hyde and Poyer.  Move to Bernard.  Kincaid.  Just to start.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Because he tore his ACL.  Was playing great last year before that.

I get it. But it’s fair to question the recklessness of the deal just to get him given his age. Beane blew every other team away with the money and that’s why he came here. We are paying for it now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

The point is he was 33 years old and the contract he signed for a guy that age is ridiculous as it is. But then you have to factor in the likeliness of older players getting more often injured than young ones. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

Hyde and Poyer what?

what about them?

bernard is a good player but let’s not act like he is all pro 

So now the only measuring stick for a GM is All Pros?

Just now, mrags said:

The point is he was 33 years old and the contract he signed for a guy that age is ridiculous as it is. But then you have to factor in the likeliness of older players getting more often injured than young ones. 

And you ignore he was playing great at 33

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

He’s a foookin puppet to Sean. 

Guys really think Brandon Beane has power? 

HA! Laughable. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes but a six year contract for a thirty five year old player who relies on speed and flexibility was pretty dumb.  Contract should been three years tops

Edited by Mynamemike

1 minute ago, Bagwell358 said:

I get it. But it’s fair to question the recklessness of the deal just to get him given his age. Beane blew every other team away with the money and that’s why he came here. We are paying for it now.

It’s because it is what Mcdoushy absolutely needed for his defense to win a championship. A “guru” HC and defensive “genius” yet he can’t get it done with all the assets that he’s been given on that side of the ball while completely ignoring the offensive side of the ball for years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

I am with you 100%. I have considered him best thing since Bill Polian, now I am second guessing. Polian went and got Kelly some great weapons and OL. I would kill for a Howard Ballard on OL. He is too content to rely on Josh to do magic and not get him the proper help he needs. His drafts are hit or miss, but I think Kincaid is a hit.

• Like (+1) 1

Never said that but excellent try. He had more misses than hits in first 3 rounds. Very few “GEMS” in later rounds. 

It’s fair to criticize.

Couple misses like Ford to be sure.  But look at a guy like Epenesa.  Took a bit but has come into his own.  Or Oliver who is having a great year.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So now the only measuring stick for a GM is All Pros?

And you ignore he was playing great at 33

I’m simply saying that players at age 33 tend to slow down or get more banged up and injured than players that are 25. And there is absolutely no reason to sign that 33 year old player to massive guaranteed money and the largest defensive contract in history at the time (or pretty close to it) and expect him to live up to that contract. Especially considering he would be 39 by the time is ended. It’s just common sense. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

It’s because it is what Mcdoushy absolutely needed for his defense to win a championship. A “guru” HC and defensive “genius” yet he can’t get it done with all the assets that he’s been given on that side of the ball while completely ignoring the offensive side of the ball for years. 

Giving that deal the year after drafting GR50 and Boogie back to back while AJ was floundering just felt like they had no plan or hope those guys would get it.

• Agree 1

Hes a fine GM.   He made a huge mistake signing Vonn Miller, a direct result of failing to sign JJ Watt and Chandler Jones in back to back years.   He made a huge mistake not signing Hopkins this offseason, which may have been a direct result of the mistake in signing Miller.

Outside of Miller the bigger contracts have void years.   The cap situation isnt as bad as people think, they can clear space.  It happens when you sign a QB for a quarter of a billion dollars.  

Just now, mrags said:

I’m simply saying that players at age 33 tend to slow down or get more banged up and injured than players that are 25. And there is absolutely no reason to sign that 33 year old player to massive guaranteed money and the largest defensive contract in history at the time (or pretty close to it) and expect him to live up to that contract. Especially considering he would be 39 by the time is ended. It’s just common sense. 

I am pretty sure they were not going to use that contract without restructuring it.  I’d have to look at it to see when it would make sense to cut ties from a cap perspective.  

Giving that deal the year after drafting GR50 and Boogie back to back while AJ was floundering just felt like they had no plan or hope those guys would get it.

Right. And now look at them. In cap hell so they likely won’t be able to re-sign AJ despite him playing well this year and finally getting it. Boogie was the biggest waste of a draft pick ever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

I am with you 100%. I have considered him best thing since Bill Polian, now I am second guessing. Polian went and got Kelly some great weapons and OL. I would kill for a Howard Ballard on OL. He is too content to rely on Josh to do magic and not get him the proper help he needs. His drafts are hit or miss, but I think Kincaid is a hit.

100 percent

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I am pretty sure they were not going to use that contract without restructuring it.  I’d have to look at it to see when it would make sense to cut ties from a cap perspective.  

He’ll be 35-36 before we have a reasonable out. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Couple misses like Ford to be sure.  But look at a guy like Epenesa.  Took a bit but has come into his own.  Or Oliver who is having a great year.

Epenesa was brutal for 3 seasons. 0 contributions. He’s a miss. Sorry. 

boogie basham is a miss, ford colossal miss.

Elam is a disaster.

james cook in round 2? all the other assets invested in RB in rounds 3?

he’s neglecting significant areas of roster for the same

mistakes.

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Right. And now look at them. In cap hell so they likely won’t be able to re-sign AJ despite him playing well this year and finally getting it. Boogie was the biggest waste of a draft pick ever. 

Or resign Floyd. DE and DT are a need going forward.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Harty being a $5M inactive today while Sherfield ran the wrong routes multiple times was a HUGE indictment on Beane’s pro personnel skills.

Meanwhile every Joe Nobody receiver the Eagles had was making tough catch after tough catch in the rain and coming down with the ball. 

It’s crazy how hard it’s been for us to find reliable receivers for a top shelf QB.

I feel like Beane has had a little more success via Free Agency/trade market and has left some room to be desired in drafting.  The difficult question to ask is how much is bad drafting vs. poor player development.   I appreciate Beane's aggressive approach in regards to the Von Contract but what made it a poor contract was his age.  If he doesn't get injured we probably aren't having this convo.  Beane and McDermott are almost opposite in philosophy. Beane seems aggressive and willing to take big swings whereas McDermott is ultra conservative/ play not to loose.  If I had to chose one, I'd take Beane 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.