Gabe Davis Miscommunication Plays this season

Virgil

Just now, ILBillsfan said:

The bad read on the zero blitz really hurt …… probably 90% of WR’s know the route is to the inside there where the blitzers vacated

The corner had more leverage to the inside.  Josh was rushed and had to get the ball out.  He made a call, Davis made a call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah he is a dumb player, I don't know a more respectful way to say it.

If we had signed DeAndre Hopkins in the offseason I think we would have a minimum of 3 more wins right now. Brandon Beane completely failed his franchise's biggest investment.

if we signed Hopkins, Floyd would be gone which also would’ve hurt. 

that said, Davis hurts to watch and the idea he got a game ball on zero targets is awful.

47 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t know if this can be statistically looked up, but how many times this season has there been an incorrect route run, where Josh throws the ball to nowhere, and Gabe was the intended receiver.   

I don’t care about the 13 second game or how many yards and TD he has.  On this one topic, is it disproportionately Gabe Davis vs everyone else?  

It definitely feels that way 

His career as a Bill will be over in 5 games.  I’m not even going to get worked up about him.  Season is over anyways. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

The corner had more leverage to the inside.  Josh was rushed and had to get the ball out.  He made a call, Davis made a call.

the zero blitz not the leverage is very likely the read there though. Think of a hot read coming before a downfield read like that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah because Allen never makes dumb plays. Prety messed up to call a guy dumb when you have no idea who was at fault. Davis was wide open and the d back was playing inside. 

The d back had his back turned.  He was beat no matter where davis went, the play has a built in option if the safety vacates the area and there is pressure.

it was obvious as it gets, the eagles brought pressure, Allen has no time to wait for a corner route, with pressure and the safety out of the middle and the corner with his back turned the ball goes inside.  Every damn time.  

its no different than tight ends who run dig routes and the break goes to where they have leverage or an inside wr breaking off a route to a quick slant because of pressure leaving the middle of the field wide open.

It was elementary stuff.  That is why the damn option is built into those plays, for that exact situation.  As soon as allen snapped the ball and he saw pressure, the safety moved and the corners back to him he did what he was supposed to do.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

if we signed Hopkins, Floyd would be gone which also would’ve hurt. 

I think we could have signed both. Harty, Ford, Hines, Poyer. Those are the albatross contracts. And I know we would have had to sell out a bit on our future to fit Hopkins in. But now here we are having a conversation about cleaning house anyways. So we took no risk and got no gain out it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

SoCal Deek laughs at my comment that the corner had more leverage inside.  Both the awards and QB had to make a judgment.  Neither was right or wrong.  And we don’t come as close as we did today without Davis and his effort.

Oldman….you know I respect you….but football is a complicated game. Gabe screwed up! He knew it. Josh knew it. Romo knew it. Diggs knew it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

the corner had no leverage.  He was beat with his back turned.  His best bet would have been to run directly into davis had davis made the correct adjustment and get a PI.  

Davis blew it and then McDermotts defense blew it again.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I think we could have signed both. Harty, Ford, Hines, Poyer. Those are the albatross contracts. And I know we would have had to sell out a bit on our future to fit Hopkins in. But now here we are having a conversation about cleaning house anyways. So we took no risk and got no gain out it.

The Harty contract was, and continues to be, a terrible signing 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I mean, yea, I’m among the biggest advocates of being able to kick the can. 

That said, I was commenting from a practical matter on what was within the realm of this regimes decision tree

Just now, MikePJ76 said:

the corner had no leverage.  He was beat with his back turned.  His best bet would have been to run directly into davis had davis made the correct adjustment and get a PI.  

Davis blew it and then McDermotts defense blew it again.  

He was a step or two behind and to the inside.  A throw to the inside brings him more into the play.  

That play could have won the game.  But it didn’t lose the game.

Gabe is going to cost too much to retain and I feel his spot can be upgraded, but I'm going to defend him here.

He ran the correct route.  It's just that he an Allen don't have that kind of chemistry to know what the other is thinking.

Rodgers to Adams, for example, and that's a TD.  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

He was a step or two behind and to the inside.  A throw to the inside brings him more into the play.  

That play could have won the game.  But it didn’t lose the game.

he was turned around and chasing.  He was beat immediately.  HIs best bet would have been a PI.  

The eagles gambled and won.  They knew exactly what they were doing played the odds and won.  

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

Gabe is going to cost too much to retain and I feel his spot can be upgraded, but I'm going to defend him here.

He ran the correct route.  It's just that he an Allen don't have that kind of chemistry to know what the other is thinking.

Rodgers to Adams, for example, and that's a TD.  

OMG.

Why do you think the options are built into the play?  Its not about chemistry its about seeing the pressure and making the adjustment.

48 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yes, it could be on Josh.  But again, wouldn’t it be happening more with other receivers?  Why is it consistently Gabe on the other end?

It's not on Josh this time.  When a heavy blitz is called..which was obvious...you pay attention to the qb.  Gabe had blown past his coverage and didn't even look back once.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

We are not going to agree on this

the broncos just beat the bills late with the same situation.  Bills brought pressure, the wr adjusted and ran the go route/9 route whatever and wilson threw it short only to have johnson run directly into him because he was beat immediately, had his back turned and commited the PI.

the same thing would have happened here had davis gone inside...its either a simple catch for a game winner or a PI giving them first and goal.  

This is not some 50/50 thing.  The eagles were beat on the play and Davis screwed it up. 

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

OMG.

Why do you think the options are built into the play?  Its not about chemistry its about seeing the pressure and making the adjustment.

There is not an option built into every play.  Gabe had his man beat.  Josh could have thrown to the corner for the TD as well, albeit a harder throw.  

• Disagree 1

I'm in the minority but I'm not going to bash Davis on these one-off plays. He does a lot more good than bad, and is not even close to the top of our List of Problems.

He was fine when he caught the go-ahead TD with 1:50 remaining, and just needing our D to get a stop.

I dont think we should give him a big 2nd contract, but I'm not making him my whipping boy over these small things. McDermott has more than earned that title.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

There is not an option built into every play.  Gabe had his man beat.  Josh could have thrown to the corner for the TD as well, albeit a harder throw.  

That is not how the offense is run.  There is an option there.  The bills use routes with options.  

He is not going to hang in there and throw to the corner when the play is built to go inside when the pressure comes and the safety is beat.  The corner route is to get away from the safety and beat a zone defense by creating an angle and space where the ball is thrown to the boundary so that only the wr has the play on the ball.  In a typical zone defense the corner would be underneath and the safety breaking to the corner when its thrown.   You know like how the broncos scored on the 4th and goal a few weeks ago

This was not a zone defense.  It was an all out calculated gamble they got beat on and Davis blew it.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The options are inside or outside 

the options are about pressure and the location of the safety or vs a zone the location of sitting corner or dropping linebacker.

its not just inside or outside.  Its a number of things.  

Tonights play was made by Allen and he should have had a 5th td and a game winner.

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

That is not how the offense is run.  There is an option there.  The bills use routes with options.  

He is not going to hang in there and throw to the corner when the play is built to go inside when the pressure comes and the safety is beat.  The corner route is to get away from the safety and beat a zone defense by creating an angle and space where the ball is thrown to the boundary so that only the wr has the play on the ball.  In a typical zone defense the corner would be underneath and the safety breaking to the corner when its thrown.   You know like how the broncos scored on the 4th and goal a few weeks ago

This was not a zone defense.  It was an all out calculated gamble they got beat on and Davis blew it.

the options are about pressure and the location of the safety or vs a zone the location of sitting corner or dropping linebacker.

its not just inside or outside.  Its a number of things.  

Tonights play was made by Allen and he should have had a 5th td and a game winner.

Allen had a great game.  And without Davis in regulation we have no chance to win.  But if we are going to criticize Davis for one play we can also criticize Josh for that pick.

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Correct, it’s just always Allen to Gabe and it’s happened SEVERAL times this season. 

Allen and Diggs always seem to be on the same page. I can’t remember an INT or big negative play due to miscommunication between them.

Davis and Allen are constantly not on the same page. Occam’s razor says Gabe is the problem.

Edited by DapperCam

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.