11/26/23 Week #12 GAMEDAY Bills at Eagles Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

Thanksgiving 🦃 is behind us and December arrives this week. The Xmas tree 🌲 is up and It’s cold as hell 🥶 in WNY as we depart Fall 🍁 and embark on a season-saving gauntlet to finish the campaign. Our topsy turvy season continues, following an impressive SNF whoopin’ of the Jets. But our next 2 opponents (in 3 weeks) are road games against the only 2 teams who played this past February. This afternoon in Philly, then at KC after our much needed Bye. It simply doesn’t get more challenging than this! Especially for a team 1 game over .500 with aspirations of a 4th straight Division title! 

But we have Josh Allen.

A comparison of our opening day roster and today’s lineup is astounding. With brutal injuries carving huge holes in the roster, BBBeane set out to supplement the battered roster with the piggy bank near empty. Deft trades and surprisingly good available street FAs were swooped up and the results have mostly been better than expected. McDermott deserves much credit for reformatting nearly the entire Defense and has gotten the best out of the players -even a few who only arrived days before a game -then contributed. On Offense, it’s mostly been a certified mess since week 4.

But we have Josh Allen.

And now Joe Brady steps into the vacated OC job and has provided a much needed spark! However, Gabe Davis, aside from his blocking- has been .well.. completely invisible nearly all season and opponents are taking away Stefon Diggs. Thankfully, James Cook has arrived this year and is currently the #2 RB in the League rushing and has developed into a true receiving threat as well. Kahlil Shakir has developed into a sure handed target and flashed great wheels on his 81 yrd TD catch & run last Sunday. And HOW did Dalton Kincaid last so late in the 1st round? He’s been terrific as he improves his blocking while catching everything thrown his way! Dawson who? Meanwhile, the ‘Anti-Samson’ chopped off his tresses and returned to the swashbuckling, mouth dropping play we’ve actually come to expect from Josh. With him playing like this, we can beat any team, anywhere, any day.

Even the best the League can offer!

He’ll have to.

There are many among us who believe the Bills have already thrown away the season and our 3 straight Division titles have come to an end. But injuries have derailed the Bengals and likely the Browns so it’s still wide open in the Conference to just get in to the playoffs. Plus, it’s that time of year when Miami takes it patented late season swoon.. 🤷‍♂️ Then, we have a punchers chance. It’s all we can hope for and despite our makeshift roster, we have the team chemistry to get it done!

AND we have Josh Allen!

Joe Marino chimes in

We Got This!
https://x.com/buffalobills/status/1728583095769821659?s=61

5 players to watch

It’s CRUNCH TIME!

GO BILLS!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 7

• Chandler#81 changed the title to 11/26/23 Week #12 GAMEDAY Bills at Eagles Pregame Thread

While he picked the Eagles, Buffalo News writer Ryan O'Halloran noted:

"Only after a deep dive of the statistics did I find two areas that give the Bills a chance Sunday at Philadelphia as a three-point underdog.

The Eagles have the NFL’s best record (9-1), but their defense stinks on third down and in the red zone. Opponents are converting 43.2% of the third-down chances and scoring touchdowns on 62.5% of their red zone trips. The Eagles rank 27th and tied for 25th, respectively, in those categories. The Bills’ offense is second on third down (48.1%) and third in the red zone (68.9%). Stay in third-and-manageable to keep drives alive and then be aggressive to score touchdowns in the red zone. There’s your recipe for a road upset."

Mitigating these facts is Sal M's observation:

"It has been a curious year for Philly’s defense because after being the league’s best against the pass in 2022, it is now among the worst as it ranks 28th in yards allowed (248.1) and 25th in passer rating against (96.4). Part of that is due to injuries and constant shuffling in the secondary, but the bad news for the Bills is that the Eagles finally had their No. 1 fivesome on the field at the same time in Kansas City - CBs James Bradberry and Darius Slay, NCB Bradley Roby, and safeties Kevin Byard and Reed Blankenship - and it clearly made a big difference."

• Thank you (+1) 2

S

26 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The Bills’ offense is second on third down (48.1%) and third in the red zone (68.9%). Stay in third-and-manageable to keep drives alive and then be aggressive to score touchdowns in the red zone. There’s your recipe for a road upset."

YES. No field goals inside the 20, McD! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ed Oliver is enjoying his best season to date!

https://x.com/erikjturner/status/1728474327681814980?s=61

1) The comparisons of Oliver to Aaron Donald before this season had turned into a cruel joke. Oliver has finally legitimized that comparison.

2) God I hope DaQuan Jones makes it back onto the field this year. If he does that bodes well for the Bills. Like Oliver, he was playing at an All Pro level.

• Agree 1

It’s finally game day and this is the Bills biggest game of the year. It feels like they are all must win games now. The Bills have squandered away much of the season but still have a chance to redeem themselves. As bad as the Bills have played at times, and as angry as they have made me, I still feel that if they play up to their potential they can beat the Eagles. This is a true test to see what they are made of. I picked the Bills to win. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I have a feeling we are going to see the Bills stop at least 1 "Tush Push". Buffalo is normally excellent on 3rd or 4th and short and I think Big Ed's quickness can shoot in and stall it out. 

It’s not going to happen, the eagles oline is powerful, and they run that play to perfection. They have pushed around way better Dlines then ours. But it would be nice to see. 

Happy Game Day TBD! After last week, I'm getting a little of my enthusiasm back. Signs of life were evident. Seeing Josh back was like watching Hoosiers when Jimmy returns to the team (by the way, I must see movie to get you ready for basketball season). As for today, pull out the leftovers and make a turkey cheesesteak, or turkey soup, or turkey casserole, or turkey pot pie, or just warm it up in the microwave, and watch our boys put a Thanksgiving leftover spanking on another form of birds from Philadephia.

LET'S GO BUFFALO !!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 97bills said:

It’s not going to happen, the eagles oline is powerful, and they run that play to perfection. They have pushed around way better Dlines then ours. But it would be nice to see. 

Well, you aren't wrong. One of the things I love about how Philly does it is that they all move in unison. It's one large pile that is uniform in movement. 

I think one issue is that teams try and over power the play. Meat on meat so to speak. If the Bills can time the snap well they have the speed up front to quickly penetrate. Someone like Ed can slice in. It's not about being a better DL than they have faced. I think ours may give them a bit more of a matchup issue. 

This would also be a game I'd consider having Poona Ford over Settle active for. Guy is short and hefty. A bowling ball body type. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I have a feeling we are going to see the Bills stop at least 1 "Tush Push". Buffalo is normally excellent on 3rd or 4th and short and I think Big Ed's quickness can shoot in and stall it out. 

Eagles have some serious beef in the trenches, didn't realize Malaita is listed at 365.  That's a large human being.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

1) The comparisons of Oliver to Aaron Donald before this season had turned into a cruel joke. Oliver has finally legitimized that comparison.

2) God I hope DaQuan Jones makes it back onto the field this year. If he does that bodes well for the Bills. Like Oliver, he was playing at an All Pro level.

Not understanding much about the salary cap, I don’t understand why we haven’t signed Jones to an extension yet. His cost should be decent right now due to his being injured.

17 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Not understanding much about the salary cap, I don’t understand why we haven’t signed Jones to an extension yet. His cost should be decent right now due to his being injured.

The time for an extension IMO was before the injury. If the Bills were to offer a low contact because of the injury he can simply say "No thanks". And the Bills offering him a fair market deal coming off the injury isn't a wise investment for a guy on the wrong side of 30. 

Right now if they extended him they are bidding against themselves. He would likely want a raise (deserves it too). However, a guy his age coming off injury isn't likely going to command a huge contract in the open market. Letting the market set his value and getting him at a discount is a smart play right now. Kind of like they did with Poyer.

It’s been a busy week of moving so I haven’t been able to keep up with the new this week.  Did Knox get activated already?  I saw that he said he’s ready to go, but it’ll be up to the coaches.  What’s the word, he playing today?

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s been a busy week of moving so I haven’t been able to keep up with the new this week.  Did Knox get activated already?  I saw that he said he’s ready to go, but it’ll be up to the coaches.  What’s the word, he playing today?

No word yet..

Ok, I’m pumped! We were Born for this!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

possibly week 14

Bills HC Sean McDermott Gives Key Update on Return of TE Dawson Knox

to-all-the-visitors-from-r-eagles-i-hope-you-have-a-great-v0-28vgcye7sx1c1.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

No such thing as a moral victory today. This is pretty much a must win so be the desperate team that you are and go take it. 4th downs and tds instead of fgs will be the difference today.

Since its an nfc game and the eagles beat the dolphins I do not see it as a must win.  I think the kc game is a must win though.  The afc games on the schedule feel like must wins.

KC is in danger of getting upset today if the raiders do not turn the ball over.  I imagine the chiefs defense can beat the raiders alone but if las vegas is ever going to beat them today is the day.   

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The time for an extension IMO was before the injury. If the Bills were to offer a low contact because of the injury he can simply say "No thanks". And the Bills offering him a fair market deal coming off the injury isn't a wise investment for a guy on the wrong side of 30. 

Right now if they extended him they are bidding against themselves. He would likely want a raise (deserves it too). However, a guy his age coming off injury isn't likely going to command a huge contract in the open market. Letting the market set his value and getting him at a discount is a smart play right now. Kind of like they did with Poyer.

Makes sense, thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Since its an nfc game and the eagles beat the dolphins I do not see it as a must win.  I think the kc game is a must win though.  The afc games on the schedule feel like must wins.

KC is in danger of getting upset today if the raiders do not turn the ball over.  I imagine the chiefs defense can beat the raiders alone but if las vegas is ever going to beat them today is the day.   

Buffalo is not beating KC unless our offense shows it has returned today. Allen will be under distress all day long. 

Maxx Crosby is the only pass rusher Raiders have and he is out today. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

A win today would be a top 3 regular season win for McDermott. Not impossible but man it’s going to take all we have. We need that looseness from Josh or we got no shot. Can not come out here tight or afraid to make mistakes. We need the covid year Seahawk/Ram Josh. Just letting it fly but not afraid of danger. Also we need his legs. There’s No tomorrow if we lose this game. The room for error got wasted on not being able to count against Denver. Play a lot of 3 LB sets on defense, do not let these guys get you on your heels with the run. You have to make Hurts beat you to the outside with the pass. We can get this one but we need all we got. Absolutely can’t afford to be firing at 75%. Might need a no punt day.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Buffalo is not beating KC unless our offense shows it has returned today. Allen will be under distress all day long. 

Maxx Crosby is the only pass rusher Raiders have and he is out today. 

The offensive line has been very good.  If they continue to stay with running the ball Allen should be fine and have enough time to operate in the pocket.  obviously blocking chris jones becomes the key element.

yea it stinks that crosby is out but I still think this raiders team can hang in there for a little bit if they do not give the ball up early.  I guess I am just being hopeful all these afc teams lose today.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.